Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Complete Nintendo Homebrew List I've added SNES, GBC, and GBA homebrews

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:59:40 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
These lists contain only those games that are Homebrews by definition and were released on the original system format

Since the homebrew scene seems to be picking up for the NES, I thought it'd be good to make a thread to keep track of all the Homebrews/Hacks/Reproductions that have been released on cartridge. There are quite a few more that have ROM's available, but this is just for cartridge releases

You can click the link now for a complete list of Homebrews/Hacks/Reproductions/ and Misc music, dev tools, etc

The list below is for upcoming homebrew releases

Definitions

Homebrew-An original. coded from scratch, new game

Hack-an altered version of an exisiting game usually using existing code

Reproduction-A reproduction of a prototype game, or existing release

Misc-Flash Carts, Graphic or musical demos

Click on a link below to view complete release lists

NES Homebrew List
updated 12/1/2012
SNES Homebrew List
updated 12/1/2012
GBC Homebrew List
updated 1/7/2011
GBA Homebrew List
updated 7/19/2011

Coming Soon / Recently Released

Title              Programmer         Producer            Release Date     System          Type        CIB        Available
8-Bit Xmas 2012    Brian Parker      Retrozone             11/2012         NES            Limited        C          NO
16-Bit Xmas 2012   Brian Parker      Retrozone             11/2012         SNES           Limited        C          NO
Assimilate         bigjt_2           Nessylum              03/2012         NES            Limited(50)   CI          NO
Assimilate         bigjt_2           Nessylum              03/2012         NES            Limited(50)   CIB         NO
Battle Kid 2       Sivak             Retrozone             11/2012         NES            Limited(33)   CIB         NO
Battle Kid 2       Sivak             Retrozone             12/2012         NES            General       CI/CIB      YES
HWC NA Edition                       Retrozone             11/2012         NES            Limited(67)   CIB         NO
Nomolos:StC        Derek Andrews     Gradual Games         05/2012         NES            Limited(100)  CI/CIB      NO
Nomolos:StC        Derek Andrews     Retrozone             05/2012         NES            General       CI/CIB      YES

*6 different colors are known Gold, Silver, Bronze, Green, Black, and Grey. They are numbered, but the final run number is not yet known.

The breakdown of the numbered carts is as follows: 1-9 - Reserved (don't believe any of these were made as of MGC in march) 10 - Green Cart 11 - Gold cart given at MGC 12 - Silver cart at MGC 13 - Bronze cart at MGC 14 - Gold cart awarded TBA 15 - Silver cart TBA 16 - Bronze cart TBA 17-19 - Reserved *believe these were to be Gold, Silver, Bronze for another show comp) 20-40 - MGC limited edition (black) 40-99 - Online orders (gray)

99 is owned by ProgrammingACE

In development or Limbo however you want to look at it

NES
Drug wars
Hellraiser
Legens of Owlia
Leisure Suit Larry
NA Battleball
Nightman Vs Justice Incarnate
Nightmare in Ice Cream Land
Orbit Ooze
Oregon Trail
Project P
Super Bat Puncher
Unicorn

SNES Gameboy GBC GBA Homebrew Producer links
Gamereproductions.com
Nesreproductions.com
Retrozone

The Nes Dump

Edited: 11/05/2013 at 11:14 AM by udisi

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:11:31 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
There are a lot more than that, esp if you count the class that was taught where each student made a homebrew. I will try to find the link tonight after work.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:34:02 AM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
I'm almost positive that the class you're talking about is from that Bob Rost site. I don't think they actually put those on cartridges, or they would've seen that most, if not all of the games made would perform incorrectly on an NES. The box art and manuals they made were just bonuses, I believe. Of course I wasn't there, but there was nothing in the notes that told them how to put them on carts (not that I saw, anyway).

As for a homebrew that isn't on that list, Memblers made one copy of his game Roadkill and sold it on eBay some years ago. I'm not sure what year it was, but I remember him mentioning that. I'll get back to you with the year, but the rest of the info is:

Programmer: Memblers
Publisher: Strangulation Games
Release Date: (will find out what I can)
Type: Limited (1)
CIB: C
Available: No

http://slydogstudios.org...

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:36:16 AM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
According to the chart Bombsweeper is still available. If this is true, then where might I obtain a copy?

Thanks dudes.

Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:08:56 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
Yes, NGD, I know about Bob Rost class, amongst other things, but they were not released on cart. Also, Ross, The roadkill that was sold was a beta, not a finished game , nor truly released. It's more of a prototype homebrew, so I didn't add it.

@Mario's left nut, as for Bombsweeper, Nesreproductions.com has it listed on his website, that's the only place I've seen it for sale. The programmer who made it(Snowbro) has been MIA for some time, and I don't think he ever released carts himself.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:15:53 AM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Thanks udisi!

Is Leon reliable? I've heard things both ways, but has anyone heard anything recently??

Thanks in advance.

MLN'er

Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:39:07 AM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: mario's left nut

Thanks udisi!

Is Leon reliable? I've heard things both ways, but has anyone heard anything recently??

Thanks in advance.

MLN'er

I've met him personally, seems like a nice guy.
I think thats the guy that NGD bought the Myriad box off of.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:48:39 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I haven't dealt with him personally, but I've heard good things in the past. As for recently, I'd have no clue, but would assume he's still fine. he lists his email address on his site, I would guess you could judge by how quick and how he answers.

Also, does anyone know how to use the table feature here? I've tried, but it just gets all screwed up. It'd be alot easier editing this with a table, rather than hand spacing. I actual have a list in excel. maybe I should just post a link.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:38:25 PM
Roth (67)
Illinois
Originally posted by: udisi

The roadkill that was sold was a beta, not a finished game , nor truly released. It's more of a prototype homebrew, so I didn't add it.

Okay, makes sense : )

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:21:39 PM
Sivak (44)
(Sivak -) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
If you're going to list rom hacks, then you could have an entire database of those.  I don't know what Misc. would qualify as.

There are lots of projects, though many don't seem to get off the ground.  I hope I never fall into this category. 

My website: Here

Battle Kid 2 demo videos: Playlist
Battle Kid demo videos: Playlist

Check out my current: Want list
Check out my current: Extras list

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:25:29 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
A bunch of things I thought of, in no particular order.

- nesreproductions is trustworthy. I get along great with Leon.

- Bombsweeper is actually really fun on the NES.

- Check with EarlyWorm. I think I remember him telling me that Chris Covell had made/sold Solar Wars at some point. It might just have been someone else making it.

- Did you want to list homebrew music albums in there too? If so, check out headlessbarbie.com for "Vegavox" and "Color Caves". I might also consider MidiNES as a homebrew.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:26:18 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Can anyone give me more information about Bomb Sweeper? What sort of game is it?

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:56:31 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
It's a puzzle game. Bombsweeper is a remake of the "game and watch" game by Nintendo of the same name. The graphics are based on the original (except he cycles them) and he upped the number of puzzles from 20 to 100.
Basically the goal is to push walls out of the way to get out of an area before the bomb goes off (I think). I think walls can only be pushed once, and sometimes they block other moves.

Take a look around for the ROM and try it out.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:18:40 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Sivak

If you're going to list rom hacks, then you could have an entire database of those. I don't know what Misc. would qualify as.

There are lots of projects, though many don't seem to get off the ground. I hope I never fall into this category.

I know there's tons of hacks, but the amount that were actually released on a cart isn't too terrible yet.

Stuff like Zelda Outlands, and the updated Super Tecmo bowls and such. My intial list contains everything that gamereproductions.com, nesreproductions.com, retrozone, and various others have produced in number for a cart release.

As for Misc, that will cantain things like the powerpack, paower pack lite, the music carts, like color caves, vegavox, etc Thing that aren't so much games , but more graphical demos, music, or development tools.

Really, I'd like to do a web site database with Homebrews, Hacks, and reproductions or all systems, add pictures, variations, and such, but I don't have the database code, or anything.

also, I'd like to add, that yes Bombsweeper is very fun. I put Kent Hanson as the programmer cause I think that's the real name of the guy. He used to use the screen name Snowbro on the dev forums.

oh and sivak, I don't know your real name, but if you let me know, I'll update the list.

Edited: 03/17/2008 at 03:21 PM by udisi

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:17:24 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina

Also, does anyone know how to use the table feature here? I've tried, but it just gets all screwed up. It'd be alot easier editing this with a table, rather than hand spacing. I actual have a list in excel. maybe I should just post a link.

Just use the table button in the editor -- it the 6th one from the left that looks like a grid:

here
is
my
table

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:18:52 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
BTW, Solar Wars was definitely made.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:09:15 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
hey Dain, notice how your boxes got all long when you typed in it....that's the problem I was having. I can't adjust the cell size.

As for Solar Wars, I'll have to see if he did a release. It was included in the Garage Cart, but I've never seen a solo cart. It may very well exist.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:23:25 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
one more thing, I've been thinking about grouping in translated Japanese games into the reproduction category. They're essentially the same games with english text. Technically they're hacks, but they kinda fall in a gray area there. Any thoughts on this. I have a full list of about 120 games, but wanna have these categorized before I post it.

Also the following list of games are available at Gamereproductions.com, but I'm not sure what category each falls into. if anyone knows, let me know. I think most are Translations/Reproductions, but I'm not sure

Adventures of Musashi
Altered Beast
Boogerman
Destiny of an Emporor II
Dr.Franken
Joy Mech Fight
Makai Island
Scarabeus
Sonic The Hedgehog
Splatterhouse
Taro's Quest
Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends
Y's
Y's III

Edited: 03/17/2008 at 05:26 PM by udisi

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:41:15 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina

hey Dain, notice how your boxes got all long when you typed in it....that's the problem I was having. I can't adjust the cell size.

As for Solar Wars, I'll have to see if he did a release. It was included in the Garage Cart, but I've never seen a solo cart. It may very well exist.

You won't have to see about it -- he did a release, I've seen it, and got shafted on a chance to own one

About the tables -- you could probably edit the source code to change the widths that way. I know that table editor isn't the greatest.

-Dain

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:46:58 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
hmmm. do you know how many he made, or who may own one. I'd like to get info on it if possible. Maybe I can track Chris down. His site lists how to make it yourself, but says he won't make copies. If he did make a small run, I'm wondering if it pre-dates the Garage Cart.

Also, I think I'll just post an html excel file, seems easier than dealing with the table editor.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:50:50 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I'm not sure how many he made, but there was a guy who joined here over a year ago that had one for sale... I'll see if NGD remembers his s/n. It was the same version I saw a long time ago when I was over on NESWorld a lot. From what I recall, it definitely pre-dated the garage cart. Maybe NGD will chime in as I know he remembers this, and he and I were gunning for the same cart.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:54:56 PM
Roth (67)
Illinois
There is a guy on PlayTheNES that has one. He's tied up at this very second, but will get a pic for you, udisi.

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:25:45 PM
Roth (67)
Illinois
He says that he got it around 2000 or 20001, somewhere in that area. Also he said he thinks it was about 30 bucks, and that he _thinks_ it was Mike Etler that put them out ~10-20 of them, but he really can't remember much about it.  Here's the image:

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:38:16 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Yep, that's the one.

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:40:27 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
The person who had a Solar Wars FS was adame here on NA.

I did indeed by my Myriad box/manual from Lean without any problems at all. I have never ordered a repro from him cause he is more expensive than gamereproductions.com is, plus no donor is needed on gamerepro and is needed on nesrepro.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread