Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is There A SMB hack with All the Minus Worlds?

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:34:25 PM
A2600 (17)
(Letter Carrier) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
I was wondering of this this morning it would be pretty epic if there was a released hack with all two hundred something levels that the cart has

-------------------------
Ah, so you found the secret room, eh? Bask in the glory of a Mario Trilogy, a Pair of Zeldas and a Sextet of Megamans. Yes this is the little grey box that could and continues to do. What lies ahead is entirely up to you. YOU DECIDE

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:13:04 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
You watched Pop Fiction's video on the 256 extra worlds in SMB, didn't you?...

They're not real levels, they are glitchy combinations of data from at least two different levels. It's exactly like in Pop Fiction's Metroid hidden rooms episode.

Edited: 11/18/2014 at 07:14 PM by Guntz

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:24:58 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
Originally posted by: Guntz

You watched Pop Fiction's video on the 256 extra worlds in SMB, didn't you?...

They're not real levels, they are glitchy combinations of data from at least two different levels. It's exactly like in Pop Fiction's Metroid hidden rooms episode.

This really isn't 100% accurate. Its reading data from wherever - it doesn't need to be level data. SMB uses a run-length encoding scheme to compress levels. A side effect of this is nearly any stream of data will result in a "playable" level. However, these levels can have issues, like pipes too high or gaps too long to jump over, or other oddities that will prevent the player from progressing. Essentially, SMB uses the current level number against a lookup table to figure out where data starts. Any level outside of 1-1 to 8-4 will go beyond this lookup table, and grab a pointer for whatever comes after the level lookup table in the rom. This invalid pointer could literally point anywhere in the rom. The level "decoded" may actually be the end result of the code of the game.

Interestingly, my highest rated comment ever on reddit is on this exact same concept.

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilea...

Edited: 11/18/2014 at 07:27 PM by DarkKobold

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:27:10 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
Originally posted by: A2600

I was wondering of this this morning it would be pretty epic if there was a released hack with all two hundred something levels that the cart has

I made one of these and can't find the file at the moment. I might remake it soon-ish.
Basically what I did was I used a program to permanently apply the 256 worlds Game Genie code, then I did a couple of title screen alterations and I called it a day.

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:43:48 PM
A2600 (17)
(Letter Carrier) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
Ooh that sounds like what I was looking for

Ah, so you found the secret room, eh? Bask in the glory of a Mario Trilogy, a Pair of Zeldas and a Sextet of Megamans. Yes this is the little grey box that could and continues to do. What lies ahead is entirely up to you. YOU DECIDE

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:43:32 PM
TheOne (22)
(Dr Nintendo) < El Ripper >
Oregon
I'd be very interested in trying this out!

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:22:16 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
Sounds like a win to me

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)