Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Game Contents Open a sealed game recently? Going to? Post the contents here!

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:50:03 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Okay, as you know, I've been collecting data about the contents of sealed games. What you don't know is that I have stopped updating the list on NESForums (where I currently have the data). Why is this? Well, I've decided (at the behest of Dr. Morbis) to write it up FAQ-style a la AdamL's Game Endings FAQ. Well, I contributed the list of 60+ games, and it got rejected at GameFAQs. I resubmitted the list, and got this:

I don't expect it to be 100% complete, but you've only covered a fraction of the games so far. It needs to be about double what you've got before I'd be comfortable posting it.

So all I need to get it accepted is to simply get more games listed. I can't possibly do it alone...even with the below-market deals that I've received from a few people to buy their games, I just can't afford to buy them all. I do have a few due in soon (thanks to Hounder...I'll be paying soon!), but that won't be nearly enough. So I'm putting the word out here. PAL, NTSC, hardware, software, doesn't really matter to me. I'm compiling it all. I need this list to grow for the benefit of all uber-anal collectors like myself. I am also listing variants, so even if it's as small as one of the * manual variants, or the Black Bass with nothing written on the top flap, it gets listed. For example, both Aladdin units are listed, even though the contents are the same, because of the v2.0 sticker on the box. Every contribution, great or small, is helpful! Thanks ahead of time

- Mike

EDIT: Decided to put in a counter for the number needed before I try resubmitting it.

REMAINING GAMES/ACCESSORIES: 0

Posted at: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/91638...

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Edited: 07/31/2012 at 10:20 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:55:08 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Well you know I'm good for opening a couple sealed games (or more) every month. Operation Wolf and Hollywood Squares (black) should be coming this weekend, for starters, and I'm sure there are others who are more than willing to help out.

Suggestion: put the number of entries each person in your list of credits has contributed (maybe in brackets in front of each name)

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:04:02 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Hmm...that could be an idea. But then, I don't want it to be like a competition or anything, I just want it to be there. Like I said, every contribution counts equally, and by doing that I would think that it would say "this contributer was more important than this one," which is not what I want to do. Besides, you just want a number beside your name to show that you contributed more than half the list

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:06:47 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I know we will be glad to put your info to use here very soon Wiz. The next revision of NA will have a contents section just like what you are doing, so we can add all the info into the database and it will be easy to track what you have/need.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:05:43 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
You're more than welcome to use the info to enhance NA! It's being compiled for the benefit of everyone, so why not make the info readily available When you guys are ready, just let me know and I'll send the most up-to-date version your way, unless it's posted on GameFAQs before then

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:12:09 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Oh hell no! You're not gettin' off that easy, Wiz

I'm giving you admin access to add that stuff as you see fit!

-Dain

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:41:24 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

But then, I don't want it to be like a competition or anything...

Odd statement, that. Competitions spur input - just ask Dain about the number of cornerstones he had before and after his comp, or ask anyone who's ever taken marketing & promotion 101. You've got it backwards, me thinks

I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:46:26 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666
It would say "this contributer was more important than this one," which is not what I want to do.

That's called giving credit where it's due or do you seriously consider someone who has contributed 40 titles not to be "more important" than someone who has contributed 2?

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:05:18 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Well, here are a few tough ones out of the way for you.

Cliffhanger:

GP-NES-USA-1 ("Whoa! You're not going to believe what's inside") insert
SON-NES-US Sony Imagesoft warranty/questionnaire card
NES-USA/CAN-2 Consumer Information and Precautions Booklet
NES-HG-USA - Cart, box, and manual

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles:

NES-DOC-USA - "Read before using your nes" (epilepsy warning sheet)
GP-NES-USA - "I pulled the ultimate one-up"
JAL-NES-US-4 - Jaleco Warranty Card
JAL-NES-US-7 - Games poster/brochure
NES-YJ-USA - Cart, box, and manual

-Dain

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:41:29 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
yeesh, you opened a young indiana... he does owe you

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:16:10 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Nope, I didn't open it. There was one on listed as factory new, but opened, and I got it for $20. Seeing as I couldn't find that box, I splurged for it. When it arrived, it was definitely brand new, but the shrinkwrap was torn at the top (as indicated).

-Dain

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:30:25 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Hey Wiz i think its awesome what your doing with the list,! but i had a question. Is it possible that the same copies of games could have different inserts in them? I would think so, considering early releases of a game and then later releases of it, both advertising different things? If this was the case wouldnt it be nearly impossible to find "everything" anyone know if they are all the same?

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:55:22 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Dain

Nope, I didn't open it. There was one on listed as factory new, but opened, and I got it for $20. Seeing as I couldn't find that box, I splurged for it. When it arrived, it was definitely brand new, but the shrinkwrap was torn at the top (as indicated).

-Dain

Tainted data!!!!!!!!!!

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:59:06 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
i opened my factory sealed jousha game did you need anything on it

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:06:27 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Bronty

Originally posted by: Dain

-Dain

Tainted data!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, and wiz already has Cliffhanger documented, as I gave him a sealed one two weeks ago.

Generally, I think he's trying to steer clear of "opened" sealed games and just asking for data from people who know for 100% certain that the contents they're listing are what was in the game before it was opened.... but he can chime in with his thoughts on that.

Suggestion #2: Add "Sealed Contents" or something to this thread's title so it's not so damn generic. Sheesh!

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:26:45 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Dr. Morbis is right. Factory new is not acceptable to me, it MUST be opened, just to make it 100% certain.

wrldstrman - I don't have Joshua at all listed, but considering the number of variations I would need you to list which software version (from the title screen), as well as if it's a label variation or anything along those lines. I also need every possible detail you could provide, including dust sleeves. Here's a King of Kings entry from the FAQ:

King of Kings (v.1.3 - Black Cart w/Camel Label)
- Cart
- Box
- Manual
- Wisdom Tree Advert
- "Noah's Ark" Style Dust Sleeve

Parpunk - I am well aware that different batches may have different inserts. That's why I'm not worried if a submission is made for a game I already have. Like I said, I have both Aladdin versions on my list, and the only difference (aside from the switch on the unit of course) is the "V 2.0" sticker on the box. I know it's a monumental task, and it's one I don't anticipate finishing, at least not alone. That's why the call for help.

Basil - The contributor who puts 2 games to the list is just as important to me as the one who puts in 40. Why? Because it's 2 more games that wouldn't otherwise be on the list. I will edit the title though

EDIT: Oh, and Basil...I got those sealed games in the mail today...gonna hold the Target: Renegade you wanted

Edited: 04/21/2007 at 12:29 AM by the_wizard_666

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:05:19 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I already contributed to you the one and only sealed game I ever opened....Magic of Schezerazade! I wish I could help you more, but I'm not gonna open any more sealed games anytime soon, not even the common ones.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:56:55 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
That's cool Nick. You know where to reach me if you ever do open one

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:52:02 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Well, I can certainly understand the "factory new" vs "factory sealed," but let's be real here for a second -- the sealed was torn at the top of the box, but the box had never been opened. How do I know this? Because part of the packaging had to be removed in order to open the box. I wouldn't post it unless I was absolutely sure!

-Dain

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:37:00 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
This thread has me very tempted to open what few sealed games I have. I only have less than 10 if you count the ADE games. I have been torn on whether to open them or not. . . .
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:14:05 AM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
All I have that is or was ever sealed is all of the Aladdin stuff, but I'm sure you've opened 5 sets of those. I'd be more than happy to give you the info from them if you need it though. Let me know.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:16:22 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Dain - So they were just damaged shrink? I'll double-check Cliffhanger, and I guess I will add Young Indiana if you were the only person to open it.

NGD - It's your call, just remember to let me know if you do

Burdger - The Aladdin set should be identical to the set on the list, but you are more than welcome to resubmit them. Never really hurts to add it twice.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:30:55 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Cliffhanger looked like it was a re-seal, so I opened it only to find out I was very, very wrong
Indy was sealed, but the top right corner had the shrinkwrap torn away -- in other words, I'm 100% sure the contents are factory original.

-Dain

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:32:32 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Well, thanks for Indy, and thanks to Dr. Morbis for yet another entry...c'mon, give someone else a chance lol! 61 to go...

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:05:52 PM
skankinmack (69)
(mike mack) < El Ripper >
Ontario
i opened a sealed Zen : Intergalactic Ninja a couple months ago,and hasn't left my shelf since. Do you still need that one?

shameless plug: check out my ebay stuff

http://www.ebay.com/sch/skankinma...