NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

e-Zine: October price guide

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:46:30 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
I'm making a separate thread for October to cover a few points:

The switch from eBay's native Marketplace Research over to the third party Terapeak service has done a few things to the price list. First off, it was a big pain in the ass changing all of my search strings to fit their new query language. But aside from that:

1. Prices rose on many more games, than fell. This is because Terapeak combines all Buy-It-Now items (including eBay stores) in with regular auction results. eBay stores historically get a premium, and while on high-end items I'd already taken store pricing into account (in some cases for scarce carts, store sales are the ONLY recorded sales), the majority of common and uncommon games did not. Long story short, for this month you'll see a lot of red due to capture method, and next month prices should seem more stable, with the normal percentage of ups and downs.

2. The searches tend to now log only properly listed games. Due to the new search language, it's more difficult (read: pretty much impossible) to sniff out poorly listed games and add them to the data. This is a double-edged sword: poorly-listed items experience a much higher variance in price than properly listed NES games. Removing them removes a lot of volatility from the numbers - but again, for more scarce items that only appear at auction once a season, some data may be missed. For the vast majority of games this won't matter, though, and I'll do my best to continue to provide accurate pricing.

3. Shipping prices are in a state of flux right now. While I've used the same "rule of thumb" of adding $2 to each average sale number to quantify "padded shipping," this may change as early as the next issue.

Input is welcome, for individual game prices as well as any of the topics discussed here. It's my mission to continue to push out the most accurate and valuable list for loose NES possible, but I need your help to keep it useful.

-------------------------

Edited: 10/01/2008 at 09:52 AM by dangevin