Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Armed For Battle - New Homebrew Real Time Strategy on the NES - now available to buy

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:00:21 AM
rizz (9)
(Frank Westphal) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Purchase the Game

The Demo is available at my Development Blog - http://1010howe.blogspot.com/...

Tutorials on How To Play (these videos show the new look of the game):

Older Information:

I am pleased to finally announce my homebrew in development, called Armed For Battle.

Somewhere in the unmapped land surrounding your kingdom, evil rulers corrupted by greed seek to enslave your people.  Scout the territory, then send your forces to battle any threats you encounter.  With enough gold, you might win them over while avoiding massive bloodshed.  Use caution when venturing into the unknown.  It is rumored that Dragons and Giants may live somwhere outside the safety of the kingdom.

Please check out the original trailers here (these videos have the old look of the game):

Look for me at Midwest Gaming Classic in 2014!

-------------------------

My Development Blog

Edited: 05/05/2016 at 04:23 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:14:03 AM
bigjt_2 (17)
(Yeah, I'm a fat bastard.) < Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Very cool, man! I don't think an RTS has been tried in the modern NES homebrew community yet so this is a pretty cool idea. I'll be interested to see how the battle element works out, like when the other side starts attacking.

Every thread on this forum is very offensive.  Please lock every last goddammed one of them!

"Tell him you'll break his A button pusher."
                                                  --Otto Hanson
"Unlike the Sega Genesis, which will give you cancer."
                                                  --Randy the Astonishing

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:20:12 AM
Duke.Togo (114)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Looks pretty good so far. I'll be curious to see what the battles look like.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:27:35 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Subscribed, looks nice!

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:51:04 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
I like what I see so far!

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:37:22 AM
rizz (9)
Wisconsin
I really appreciate the positive comments. Thanks! Unfortunately, youtube has a negative comment already - you just can't please everybody, so I gotta just let those go. When there is such a huge time committment to this sort of thing, you tend to take it to heart.

Bunnyboy, this all came about because of your tutorials, so thank you. You're awesome! If MetalSlime shows up, big thanks for the sound engine tutorials as well.

My Development Blog

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:44:56 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Do you have a website with some tech specs, like what mapper/rom size its using? Or any kind of development log?

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:47:24 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
I love RTS games, and am looking forward to this!

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:16:55 AM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
I can't wait for a demo and when you have a full release!

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:29:32 AM
Yoveva (2)

(EDWIN CARTER) < Crack Trooper >
United Kingdom
Looks great so far, can't wait to play it when it is ready!!

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:38:58 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Nice work, I'm excited to check it out at MGC!

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:59:44 AM
rizz (9)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Do you have a website with some tech specs, like what mapper/rom size its using? Or any kind of development log?

I'm afraid there's no website - lots of the design has been on paper, which might even be cool to scan (I personally enjoy looking at hand drawn design).  I don't know if a development log would be too slow - sometimes a month zips by and it feels like I got nothing to show other than fixing a couple bugs and revising some code that needed a little revamping.  I really liked your flier idea by the way - it made me realize that I should hand something out at midwest gaming classic, just so people don't forget about what they played.

Mapper:  I was getting by with NROM, and now I am converting to UNROM (64KB).

My Development Blog

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:05:39 AM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: doner24

Nice work, I'm excited to check it out at MGC!

Ditto, I will definitely stop by for a demo.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:48:40 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
This really looks fantastic, man. I'm super impressed. Is this your first game?

I get tons of negative comments on my games in Youtube, so don't let it bother you. The internet is full of negativity. Your graphics look great and the whole idea of the game is really creative. Can't wait to play it!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:10:20 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Pretty cool man, I love homebrews

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:49:11 PM
rizz (9)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

This really looks fantastic, man. I'm super impressed. Is this your first game?

I get tons of negative comments on my games in Youtube, so don't let it bother you. The internet is full of negativity. Your graphics look great and the whole idea of the game is really creative. Can't wait to play it!

This is my first announced game.  Prior to this, a friend and I started working on a different game in a combined effort, and I really hope to announce that one as well, but it will be a while before that goes public.  I got my feet wet on that one, but it's on hold at the moment, so I went forward with this in the meantime.

My Development Blog

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:22:01 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
One problem I see is that you are using the whole screen area? NTSC TVs will chop off the top and bottom, which is pretty important status bars in your game!

I have some UNROM enhancements you might want to use. First is 4x banks of 8KB chr ram instead of 1 bank, so you can do 4 frames of animations by just bankswitching. Having more of the backgrounds moving might help make the game appear more advanced. Assimilate will be using this. Also have self flashing, so you can save games without needing battery+wram. I haven't really done much on this part so I don't have good sample code yet

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:18:25 PM
rizz (9)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

One problem I see is that you are using the whole screen area? NTSC TVs will chop off the top and bottom, which is pretty important status bars in your game!

I have some UNROM enhancements you might want to use. First is 4x banks of 8KB chr ram instead of 1 bank, so you can do 4 frames of animations by just bankswitching. Having more of the backgrounds moving might help make the game appear more advanced. Assimilate will be using this. Also have self flashing, so you can save games without needing battery+wram. I haven't really done much on this part so I don't have good sample code yet

The resources shown across the top are in the 2nd row ($2020) and the dialog on the bottom starts at $2380.  I double checked the NesDoc just now, which says NTSC is 256x224, so I believe I'm in the clear.  Confirmation on this is appreciated.

I have not researched hardware at all, but would really like for this to become a physical cartridge at some point.  Do the UNROM enhancements add cost to the cartridges?  Your hardware expertise is lightning years ahead of mine, but you can always PM me to talk more on this.  The bankswitching for animations sounds pretty wild - sounds like the frames of animation are on each bank (in the same tile number location).

My Development Blog

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:51:03 AM
Shiru (0)

(Shiru Shiru) < Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
Resolution is 256x224, however, it is not guaranteed that graphics on the edges will be visible or not distorted on an old TV. Modern digital LCD/TFT etc TVs shows whole TV frame, while old analog TVs can cut a bit on the sides. So there is such a thing as 'safe area', the area that will be displayed in any case. In short, don't put anything important closer than 16 pixels to an edge.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:32:29 AM
Silius (11)
(. Y .) < Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: rizz
Unfortunately, youtube has a negative comment already

Just ignore them - youtube is full of shitheads. The game looks very promising! Looking forward to try it out

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:25:31 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
I'll back up what they say too. Top and bottom 16 pixels I wouldn't touch myself either. And even on newer CRT TV's I've seen 1 or 2 pixels cut on the left and right, but that's not bad enough to not use the first 8 pixels of both sides.

And UNROM would add the cost of what, a 32 I believe and a 161? That's like a quarter in bulk, it's worth it if you need the space. The CHR-RAM and at least a 27C256 would cost a tad more for the CHR-RAM, but it's not much. I think it's worth it. Although if you want to try to save costs, you can compress some data you have. and get more room to finish it up. I take down nametables and screens from 1Kb to about 512 bytes on average, it works very well.

Game looks pretty good to me, Keep it up!

Edited: 03/03/2012 at 09:28 AM by removed04092017

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:40:59 PM
elprincipe (90)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Looks like a cool and interesting project. Just ignore the haters, they're most likely sad people who couldn't do what you've done already if they tried.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:11:29 PM
glenn101 (0)
(Glenn Kirilov) < Tourian Tourist >
Victoria
This looks great, awesome work!

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:31:39 PM
vladictivo (112)
(Vladi ) < Lolo Lord >
Mexico
any news?

Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:13:41 PM
rizz (9)
Wisconsin
I have been proceeding on the project steadily, and I'm hoping to be posting another video soon. The next video is going to show how the Overworld in the game looks. Stay tuned.

My Development Blog