Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reproduction NES Repro - Which chip controls the controls? chr or prg?

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:52:20 PM
ArcadeJunkie (8)
< Tourian Tourist >
Hey fellow gamers!  I just finished a repro of the "yoshi's quest" smb hack, and for some reason the controller wont respond when I play it.  I know the controller is good because ive tried several games, but get nothing from yoshi's quest.  The graphics are fine, so im thinking that the chr chip is good but maybe the prg was corrupted?  Anyone else experience this?  I just dont want to go through replacing both chips and not even being totally sure if that would fix it.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

-------------------------
Respect your digital roots...

Edited: 09/01/2016 at 11:26 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:53:44 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
PRG chip handles the control routines, but it also says where graphics and everything else go. If the game runs fine outside the controls, it's probably an issue with the hack.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Edited: 06/10/2016 at 07:54 PM by Lincoln

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:39:45 PM
ArcadeJunkie (8)
< Tourian Tourist >
Thanks foir the fast reply! I guess ill just have to either find another version of the hack or just live without a cart version. Does it matter that the controls work on an emulator?

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:41:40 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
yes and no. It's a good sign, but emulators can be more forgiving than hardware.

Can you point me to a download for the patch? Are you sure you used it on the correct version of SMB?

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:47:58 PM
ArcadeJunkie (8)
< Tourian Tourist >
I got it from romhacking.net (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1...) and i used the same rom ive used before. Maybe threre is one little issue with the code? Can anyone confirm they got this to work on hardware? Or maybe someone could figure out what the issue might be with the code? Its a really good hack when i play it on emu, but i really prefer playing on real hardware when possible. Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited: 06/15/2016 at 09:48 PM by ArcadeJunkie