Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

RARE Yellow Zelda NES Cart on Goodwill! Well, the secret is out...

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:15:55 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: typhoon_timmy

Originally posted by: MinusWorlds
Nobody ever said this was a prototype.  And it's not.  If it were a Zelda Proto it'd be worth a LOT more...

Well, traditionally this has been know as a Protoype, when i type that into google this comes up.  Test Cart Zelda is probably more appropriate because it explain where they stole to yellow shell from.

However, it doesn't really answer the question, is there a credible source to explain this cart?  I know alot about World Class Service Centers, I have had nearly every peice of equipment from various centers as my store has been approached and had many items from them sold to us, and I regularly talk with people who worked there.  Nobody has ever seen or heard of these, and cannot figure what their use would be.  That is not to say they don't exisist, but I have never seen credible evidence for them, and they can be easily made.

Can anyone point me to that evidence that these aren't  a bogus item to prey on collectors?

I would point you to look at Muresan's Zelda Test Cart that just sold.  I'm by no means an expert on test carts but I don't see how/why anyone would take a real test cart and make it into a Zelda one.  Sure it sells at a premium vs. other test carts but we aren't talking thousands of dollars here.

The Zelda test cart would also have a matching gold back label specific to the test carts.  Not the retail back sticker, one only found on the test carts.  That is pretty good evidence IMO.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:47:25 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
I've heard they were actually molded by Link himself from the yellow-gold magma of the Triforce.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:59:37 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

However, it doesn't really answer the question, is there a credible source to explain this cart?  I know alot about World Class Service Centers, I have had nearly every peice of equipment from various centers as my store has been approached and had many items from them sold to us, and I regularly talk with people who worked there.  Nobody has ever seen or heard of these, and cannot figure what their use would be.  That is not to say they don't exisist, but I have never seen credible evidence for them, and they can be easily made.

Can anyone point me to that evidence that these aren't  a bogus item to prey on collectors?
How much evidence is there that they are real?
  • Multiple carts have been bought directly from service centers by different people in different parts of the country
  • The back label is not a production one, not easily made
  • The WCS NES Technical Manual mentions Zelda specifically as part of the control deck test procedure
  • More than 1 of other production games hasn't been found.  Why weren't SMB3 or Dragon Warrior yellow carts made to prey on collectors?

How much evidence is there that they are all faked?
  • A handful of people don't remember seeing one

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:00:40 PM
typhoon_timmy (8)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Paul

He's saying he considers himself to be an expert.

Hello Mr Expert,  Have you looked thru the Nintendo Service Center catalogs and looked for the zelda?

The burden would be on your shoulders because the rest of us have seen enough evidence to indicate the Zelda Yellow Test cart is legit.

Since you are an expert I imagine you are like the most knowledgable person ever when it comes to service centers, and the rest of us are just stupid right?

I never called myself an expert, I was just asking if there was a credible source, this thing has had some ridiculous legend behind it and since I've read in this thread, there is no know differences in the gameplay it seems easy to reproduce.

The people I've spoken with who worked with this stuff hadn't heard of it.  If you are saying they're in a catalog, and it has proven to be relased then good, that is really all I was asking, maybe my friends weren't in the biz too long and never saw it.  I even tempered my comments with "That is not to say they don't exisist, but I have never seen credible evidence for them, and they can be easily made."  I was asking for the evidence.  There are a lot of frauds out there, I err on the side of being skeptical with stuff like this.  Shit, if I made 3 fakes and shuffle them into the world where would things go?  Would you bash someone being sceptical of more Yellow Zeldas showing up? This auction doesn't show the back of the cart.

Also how come people can't ask a question here without being attacked by the bandwagon?   

-------------------------

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/s...">My Digipress Feedback Thread

http://www.ebay.com/usr/marudashi...">My Ebay for my stuff

Edited: 02/19/2014 at 06:02 PM by typhoon_timmy

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:40:26 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands

Originally posted by: Paul

He's saying he considers himself to be an expert.

Hello Mr Expert,  Have you looked thru the Nintendo Service Center catalogs and looked for the zelda?

The burden would be on your shoulders because the rest of us have seen enough evidence to indicate the Zelda Yellow Test cart is legit.

Since you are an expert I imagine you are like the most knowledgable person ever when it comes to service centers, and the rest of us are just stupid right?

I never called myself an expert, I was just asking if there was a credible source, this thing has had some ridiculous legend behind it and since I've read in this thread, there is no know differences in the gameplay it seems easy to reproduce.

The people I've spoken with who worked with this stuff hadn't heard of it.  If you are saying they're in a catalog, and it has proven to be relased then good, that is really all I was asking, maybe my friends weren't in the biz too long and never saw it.  I even tempered my comments with "That is not to say they don't exisist, but I have never seen credible evidence for them, and they can be easily made."  I was asking for the evidence.  There are a lot of frauds out there, I err on the side of being skeptical with stuff like this.  Shit, if I made 3 fakes and shuffle them into the world where would things go?  Would you bash someone being sceptical of more Yellow Zeldas showing up? This auction doesn't show the back of the cart.

Also how come people can't ask a question here without being attacked by the bandwagon?   

I wasnt attacking. Correct the eBay auction had the back label not the Goodwill.  This cart does not have a "legend" behind it at all. It's a Zelda Test Cart. Cool? Yep. Legendary? No, not even close. There are no known differences between retail releases in a LOT of prototypes out there, that doesn't make them fake. 

Heck take the actual Zelda Prototype Cart. Same yellow case, white typed label, same as the released game, BUT, unique board, and once the personal copy of Howard Phillips. On the surface it might seem fake, doesn't meant it is. 

My .02

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:32:07 PM
typhoon_timmy (8)
< Cherub >
Admittedly the internet is filled with misinformation, I heard mostly rumors and didn't really know a ton of facts about this cart despite having owned a large amount of WCS tools, I never saw a catalog nor had I heard much about this cart till recently. I can admit I've been misinformed, but ultimately this stuff is pretty dangerous to buy, especially at the price. I guess I wanted to inject a bit of skepticism (based on my misinformation, mind you) because so many people are out scamming and creating artificial inflation on games.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/s...">My Digipress Feedback Thread

http://www.ebay.com/usr/marudashi...">My Ebay for my stuff

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:30:36 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
If you want Zelda so bad, the gold Zelda's are the way to go. Why does the plastic have to be DK64 yellow? Gold is way cooler!

Trololoo...

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:53:26 PM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana

Admittedly the internet is filled with misinformation, I heard mostly rumors and didn't really know a ton of facts about this cart despite having owned a large amount of WCS tools, I never saw a catalog nor had I heard much about this cart till recently. I can admit I've been misinformed, but ultimately this stuff is pretty dangerous to buy, especially at the price. I guess I wanted to inject a bit of skepticism (based on my misinformation, mind you) because so many people are out scamming and creating artificial inflation on games.

nonsense!! this is blasphemy!

Come one, come all!! 100% ligit Zelda test cart for sale. Don't waste your money on Goodwill's auction, I'll sell you mine for half the price - 700$ shipped!!

photo 2-19-zelda_zps40e89f84.jpeg

Edited: 02/19/2014 at 08:53 PM by K3VBOT

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:04:06 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
^^Come on! You wasted a perfectly good Mario/Duck Hunt, for that???

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:21:25 PM
Dew_Gyver (29)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: K3VBOT

nonsense!! this is blasphemy!

Come one, come all!! 100% ligit Zelda test cart for sale. Don't waste your money on Goodwill's auction, I'll sell you mine for half the price - 700$ shipped!!

photo 2-19-zelda_zps40e89f84.jpeg

This one of a kind RARE Zelda could very well rival the NWC *Mario* cart. 
Put that sucker on ebay right away!

Wanted...http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:47:38 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Did you dip that thing in Cheese Wiz? I know a guy from Philly who would probably eat that cartridge...

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:50:05 PM
ogo79 (0)

(old school) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
im sorry but goodwill depends way too much on getting free stuff in order to make money, not just people donating stuff either. i heard they wont let their employees receive tips from customers, they prowl on donations people bring in, and they ask for volunteer work (thats free work) goodwill makes a lot more money than what people would think. spend your hard earned money elsewhere. thats why im glad ive got connections. whenever they get rare games in, they get stashed and i get them for 2$.

Edited: 02/20/2014 at 04:50 PM by ogo79