Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is this Hagane box fake or real? Any known variants like this?

Sep 08 at 10:58:10 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
A friend of mine came across this Hagane box, and was curious if it's a fake or real. The box has standard looking cardboard, smells old like any other boxed SNES game, and the box has a bit of wear like it has been left outside overnight at one point. (Moisture wear)

Here's some of the oddities I've noticed:
The K-A ESRB rating being different colors and not mentioning ages 6+.
Also on the back "ANDLATIN" is one word rather than "AND LATIN AMERICA"
The warranty notice on the openable side of the box is moved to the bottom left corner.

Here's a photo for comparison:
(The top Hagane box is the suspect.)

What do you guys think?

Edited: 09/08/2019 at 10:58 PM by Armageddon Potato

Sep 09 at 12:18:50 AM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Pictures are blurry

-------------------------

Sep 09 at 12:42:08 AM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Looks the same as this repo to me other than the barcode at the bottom

http://www.boxmygames.com/product...

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 12:44 AM by punch-out!!84

Sep 09 at 6:19:13 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

Looks the same as this repo to me other than the barcode at the bottom

http://www.boxmygames.com/product/hagane/
It's close, but there is a lot of differences. The warranty on the side isn't in the same spot and the cardboard cut on those is totally different. Very slick, and lighter inner cardboard. Also those look like in person they'd be super easy to spot.

I'll see if I can get some better pictures.

What really gets me is if people were going to make fake reproduction boxes of this game why are there small changes? Why not just take a direct scan of the box artwork? Why is the ESRB rating mainly what is different? Did all the fake boxes come from some original undocumented box? Did a fake box with these odd changes somehow permeate to all the other fake boxes? 0_o

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 06:19 AM by Armageddon Potato

Sep 09 at 6:20:59 AM
goombagamer103 (2)
< Little Mac >
Florida
Yea that rating definitely raises a flag to me.

"I'm somewhat of a collectionist"

Sep 09 at 7:18:05 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
100% fake.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 09 at 7:20:09 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Non pixelation of the ESRB symbols were not introduced until 1999. And in 1999 the K-A changed to E for everyone in 1998..........Thats just the beginning of the shit show that is that box. 

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 07:23 AM by Sign Collector Guy

Sep 09 at 7:24:40 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: Armageddon Potato

A friend of mine came across this Hagane box, and was curious if it's a fake or real. The box has standard looking cardboard, smells old like any other boxed SNES game, and the box has a bit of wear like it has been left outside overnight at one point. (Moisture wear)

Here's some of the oddities I've noticed:
The K-A ESRB rating being different colors and not mentioning ages 6+.
Also on the back "ANDLATIN" is one word rather than "AND LATIN AMERICA"
The warranty notice on the openable side of the box is moved to the bottom left corner.

Here's a photo for comparison:
(The top Hagane box is the suspect.)

What do you guys think?

No doubt they tried to make the box look older. Hagane boxes are often totally fucked.

Sep 09 at 10:29:54 AM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
One of the things that people never seen to mention on how to spot a fake is the Nintendo seal, an authentic seal always has that golden ink with a shimmer, I have never seen anyone pull that off in fake label or boxes. I have seen some identical labels, real close to the actual thing but I have never seen anyone pull that golden shimmer once. If that seal don't have that shimmer is almost always fake

Sep 09 at 12:32:54 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: User123

One of the things that people never seen to mention on how to spot a fake is the Nintendo seal, an authentic seal always has that golden ink with a shimmer, I have never seen anyone pull that off in fake label or boxes. I have seen some identical labels, real close to the actual thing but I have never seen anyone pull that golden shimmer once. If that seal don't have that shimmer is almost always fake

I agree. They have been using iridescent ink since the NES era. Although I have seen it not used on authentic games as well. But most of the time thats a great first indicator.

Sep 09 at 1:48:43 PM
SNESfinder- (87)
(Stelio Kontos) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
/\ Some ( certainly not all ) of the loose Pokémon DS games are getting very close and the seal shimmer is done WELL. Specifically Pokémon platinum. It's the vibrancy and shades of reds and greens, and other bright colors that you need to look out for, as well as small details in the artwork.

OG Nintendo details are ultra clear, while repros are still just blurry with a side by side. I keep a few fakes around my shop to show ppl how to spot the differences.

BUYING/TRADING for mint snes boxes, CIB, and sealed, commons to rares and everything inbetween. will pay retail for items I need. ebay- http://www.ebay.com/sch/are-es-t/m.html?item=120930427271&pt...

Sep 09 at 1:52:03 PM
SNESfinder- (87)
(Stelio Kontos) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
As for the hagane box, take better pics. Let's see the inside of the box. If that cardboard isn't the same thickness, material, and dull gray color that is consistent with mostly all the licensed Nintendo boxes, it's likely a fake. White inside or darker brown is a dead giveaway

BUYING/TRADING for mint snes boxes, CIB, and sealed, commons to rares and everything inbetween. will pay retail for items I need. ebay- http://www.ebay.com/sch/are-es-t/m.html?item=120930427271&pt...

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 01:52 PM by SNESfinder-

Sep 10 at 12:54:23 AM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
Need better fotos of that box n if not, its a flag for me along w a few others here as a fake