Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2011 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta Contest ends Sunday, 8/7/11 at 10 PM NA time

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:32:30 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Hey everyone.  This week's game is going to be a shoot 'em up, Terra Cresta.  Here are the rules:

• 1 life only
  • Participation: 10,000

The contest ends Sunday, 8/7/11 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name must be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  Good luck everyone and have fun!

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 08/07/2011 at 10:03 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:03:58 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina

I played a couple minutes of this game ever, just to capture some sprites, but now I guess its time to really play it. Seemed pretty cool with the whole ship combining and formation thing anyway.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:10:53 PM
MrClutch (161)
(Ron W) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
I actually never played this game and didnt even know it was a shooter. It's a lot of fun though, good choice!

I died twice trying to take a photo of my score...

Let me remove the eggplant curse.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:27:04 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
At first I was annoyed that we were playing an air shooter because they're usually generic and lame, but this one gets pretty interesting with all the different ship combinations. This should be a good week for gaming.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:39:45 AM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
I loved this game as a kid... I hope I'm not too rusty. I've been sucking at vertical shooters a lot lately... so we'll see how this goes

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:10:39 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Here's an early submission - I'm starting to get a feel for this one and I had a pretty good run here. I really depend on the powerups, though.

Edit: updated score below...

Edited: 08/04/2011 at 02:52 AM by Krunch

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:34:30 PM
MrClutch (161)
(Ron W) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Krunch

Here's an early submission - I'm starting to get a feel for this one and I had a pretty good run here. I really depend on the powerups, though.

I'm assuming you died against the boss?

After I submitted my score, I tried a few more times and could consistently get to the boss without dying but he'd kick my ass. Seems like a pretty difficult first boss with all those crazy dudes flying around him.  But I'm sure it just takes a few tries to master the patterns.

Let me remove the eggplant curse.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:18:32 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Yeah, I died on the second boss (I count the other thing as a boss since the music changes, but if you go long enough without killing him he just goes away). But I have an updated score where I beat the second boss. I'm just gonna wait a while to post it though, since I feel like I am going to do much better and I don't want to clog the thread. It's really all about maintaining your ship, I didn't have trouble with the second boss once I had the big guns, in fact it was mainly a shooting frenzy at that point.

For those of you that had time to play this, have you tinkered with the design mode at all? I think if you know what you are doing there, you can benefit greatly. It helps to read the insruction manual too:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:22:26 PM
Natendo (87)
Georgia
I could never really grasp the design mode as a kid, but I just spent some time with it and did surprisingly well for my first time playing in over a decade. I died on the 2nd boss as well, but continued to play through about 5 or 6 more levels. I'm not sure if it's just me, but this game seems surprisingly easier than it did as a kid... it's also way more boring after about 20 minutes or so. Some varied stages and music would really make this game shine.

I'll post a score soon

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:25:43 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Lets get this started.
BENIHANA: 75,800

I plan on upping this score...I just need time to practice.
Stupid work!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Edited: 08/07/2011 at 01:51 PM by Benihana

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:48:19 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: nechestriah

I could never really grasp the design mode as a kid, but I just spent some time with it and did surprisingly well for my first time playing in over a decade. I died on the 2nd boss as well, but continued to play through about 5 or 6 more levels. I'm not sure if it's just me, but this game seems surprisingly easier than it did as a kid... it's also way more boring after about 20 minutes or so. Some varied stages and music would really make this game shine.

I'll post a score soon

Haha, I like the music but that's me. I agree that the stages are monotonous, but I like that the whole thing (at least so far) is one big continuous level.

As far as top-down shooters go it gets worse (like clunky Captain Skyhawk).

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:25:29 PM
Natendo (87)
Georgia
Don't get me wrong, it's a solid game. But a different color palette between stages and at least one other song would make it a bit more interesting.

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:11:33 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
edit: new score below

Edited: 08/07/2011 at 04:24 PM by Mog

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:51:01 AM
Yoshigirl (2)
(Missa is my name, Craftin' is my game) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
I find this game fun too, just get a little frustrated.
I qualified again...Hope to up when Beni get's mad and quits playing....

Yoshigirl: 64,800

Sorry about the blurry picture. Hopefully it won't be up for long.

My husband collects video games....I do crafts. Nothing wrong with that!

Edited: 08/06/2011 at 09:57 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:22:52 AM
Marton (95)
(Martin T) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec

Download my band's FREE ALBUM ! http://thenewrome.bandcamp.com/...

Edited: 08/03/2011 at 02:38 AM by Marton

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:18:00 AM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
I could have swore I had this game, but I guess not. Hmm... maybe I'll download it, looks pretty fun.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:41:52 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Really tough game for me to play, being as my right hand is near worthless when I need to press any kind of buttons rapidly. But I got me score in. And I did managed to get my ship to change into a giant firebird for a few seconds, that was pretty cool.

Score upon 1st death 40,500

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:50:49 AM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
^Yeah, the Firebird transformation is awesome, but I feel that it doesn't last long enough considering how difficult it is to get. What happened to your hand, Megan?

Here's an updated score:

Edited: 08/04/2011 at 02:51 AM by Krunch

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:04:29 AM
Blue Ember (59)
(Jesse Thorn) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
The Firebird kicks ass took me a while, but I finally got a decent score 117,400

Edited: 08/04/2011 at 03:05 AM by Blue Ember

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:03:16 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

^Yeah, the Firebird transformation is awesome, but I feel that it doesn't last long enough considering how difficult it is to get. What happened to your hand, Megan?

I'm left handed. Right hand has never been good for shooters. Usually if I need rapid fire I have to quickly take my left hand fingers off of the d-pad and use those for brief spurts of rapid shots, but then I also risk losing control or getting hit in those brief instants while my fingers are off of the d-pad. Now if I had two left hands, I could probably pull off some awesome scores. Some shooters I do good with, but if I have to manual press that button over and over again and quickly at that, most of my time is going to be spent on dodging. Sure others may be left handed also and still have super fast right hand fingers, but I don't, my right hand sucks, even if the d-pad were on the other side, it'd be just as clumsy with controlling as it is with shooting.

Edited: 08/04/2011 at 12:05 PM by Miss Clawful

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:07:28 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

Really tough game for me to play, being as my right hand is near worthless when I need to press any kind of buttons rapidly. But I got me score in. And I did managed to get my ship to change into a giant firebird for a few seconds, that was pretty cool.

Score upon 1st death 40,500

I like how you have My Little Pony set as the background. Is it possible that Cody created some converts over in his thread?

EDIT so people know what I'm talking about:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&...

No, I'm not crazy, friendship is magic!

Edited: 08/04/2011 at 12:09 PM by SamSpade

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:44:56 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Indeed he did.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:44:59 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

I'm left handed. Right hand has never been good for shooters. Usually if I need rapid fire I have to quickly take my left hand fingers off of the d-pad and use those for brief spurts of rapid shots, but then I also risk losing control or getting hit in those brief instants while my fingers are off of the d-pad. Now if I had two left hands, I could probably pull off some awesome scores. Some shooters I do good with, but if I have to manual press that button over and over again and quickly at that, most of my time is going to be spent on dodging. Sure others may be left handed also and still have super fast right hand fingers, but I don't, my right hand sucks, even if the d-pad were on the other side, it'd be just as clumsy with controlling as it is with shooting.

Interesting. I am left-handed too, but I'm good with both hands so I have never had that problem. I just use the left for major things like eating and writing.

I laughed at the My Little Pony background too. That MLP missionary converted me too, but I didn't change my username or go on a crazy tirade because of it.

Edited: 08/04/2011 at 02:45 PM by Krunch

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:11:11 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

EDIT: See new score below

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 08/07/2011 at 08:55 PM by bimmy_lee

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:42:37 PM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
just picked up a CRT so I could play some Barker bill's trick Shooting so I decided I might as well try getting back into the weekly contests.

I did a lot better than I expected.  it just takes a bit of getting used to how the projectiles fly, and using pause breaks to rest your thumbs.

121,500   lost my upgrades about 2/3 of the way to the second boss so I didn't have the side shot just the ?? arrow shaped shot?? and the ???jet plume waves??? out the back

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Edited: 08/04/2011 at 10:43 PM by rokubungi