Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What's the next big spike

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:08:44 PM
kingjohn3 (0)
(Buck ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: kingjohn3

Why do people hate threads like this? It's an honest, legit question.
Because I don't want to tell you/publicize the titles that I don't have yet

I actually think this is exactly right.

-------------------------

"I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." - Jesus

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:08:53 PM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
beer n donuts =)

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:14:31 PM
kingjohn3 (0)
(Buck ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Seems to me like these games are only going to be worth what someone is willing to pay, like all secondary items are. So, whats $100 on ebay now could swing either way based on how many people are willing to bid on it. Can anyone say that they would be willing to pay 25k for a "rare" game when it is generally regarded as a terrible game? It's been done, sure, but to the general public that's insane.

"I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." - Jesus

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:17:53 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Seems to me like these games are only going to be worth what someone is willing to pay, like all secondary items are. So, whats $100 on ebay now could swing either way based on how many people are willing to bid on it. Can anyone say that they would be willing to pay 25k for a "rare" game when it is generally regarded as a terrible game? It's been done, sure, but to the general public that's insane.
If it's rare enough, you get enough of the subset of people willing to pay that.

Will you or I pay 25k? No, but the hardcore and well-off enough collector will. Which is fine, they can reap that reward.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:25:30 PM
kingjohn3 (0)
(Buck ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Tulpa

If it's rare enough, you get enough of the subset of people willing to pay that.

Will you or I pay 25k? No, but the hardcore and well-off enough collector will. Which is fine, they can reap that reward.

True, if they can and will then who am I to begrudge that?

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:34:14 PM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
Imperium again.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:36:00 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia

If you have 3,000-4,000 people out there pursuing SNES full sets, at least 95% of them probably don't have ____ or _____.  Once they figure out that game has a small pool, and it starts to dry up, everyone bumps it up to the top of the list to try and knock it out before it becomes another Bronkie or Incantation.  Now its in the group mindset that the title is hard to acquire, and is more of a priority.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 04/20/2016 at 01:52 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:36:23 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

yup. Precisely right. I could say oh blank game is definitely going to skyrocket cuz it's fun and rarez! Then 5 people see that and go and buy up all the copies to resell, while the people who actually want it can't afford it anymore.

In fact a game I'm after already got mentioned here, so fingers crossed

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:51:36 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Isolated warrior.

Golly I wish we could just have 1 "speculation" thread.

www.videogamesage.com...

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:59:26 PM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
There is something I don't get it quite right. Collectors want the cheapest price on games they seek but they also make speculation threads which does the opposite of what they want in terms of pricing. "Guys X gaim is gunna be rarez!! get it before it becoms expensiv! It's nut like I wus responsible fur deh price spike."

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:00:22 PM
PhearedPhool (75)
< El Ripper >
Oregon
I honestly feel Nintendo signage. Yes it has gone up over time but I feel there is a big spike coming/in the makes. With so many collectors looking for one accent piece and just not much quality signage to being with I feel that signs in general are about to explode.

Looking for Nintendo signage/cabinets!!!

I have Exertainment Lifecycle 9xs for sale. Looking for NWC/low serial number SNES/NES and authorized repair center items.

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:07:24 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Balto's Red Rocket Adventure 2: Hump Harder.

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:07:47 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: LastCat

There is something I don't get it quite right. Collectors want the cheapest price on games they seek but they also make speculation threads which does the opposite of what they want in terms of pricing. "Guys X gaim is gunna be rarez!! get it before it becoms expensiv! It's nut like I wus responsible fur deh price spike."

People want games cheap until they have them. Then they want the price to rocket up. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:09:29 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: LastCat

Ha i remember that one, but here is the issue some people make these threads over and over. I guess i can understand the new guy on the forum posting a thread like this but at what point do people say "hey guys don't you think posting questions like this hurt everyone who is trying to get said title?" I think i will repost this quote yet again, sadly the link in the quote was a deleted thread.

"Originally posted by: A great user on NA

Hahaha - I'll be honest - I was looking at nebula's thread activity to see if he recently purchased these games, and I saw this gem, about a month ago:

"I was actually the one to inadvertently start the Hagane craze. About 2 months ago, I posted a thread in the Buyer's forum(link below)

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&a...

seeking to purchase this game. At that time, clean minty pristine copies could still be purchased for about $120. Well...let me tell you...that was the biggest mistake ever. All I ended up doing was riling up the collectors on this site and getting them into a frenzy over Hagane. The game was relatively unknown, and I should have used that to my advantage. Had I purchased a copy at that time from ebay, I would now own Hagane. Instead, I tried to purchase it through this community, which has always been good to me. But the fact of the matter is, because there are a lot of collectors on this site, rarer items should not be advertised/mentioned here.

My advice to you: If you are seeking a relatively rare item, DO NOT advertise your efforts, intentions, or plans on this site. There are way too many collectors here, and all you'll end up doing is piquing their interest...and therefore creating even more competition for yourself. This will drive up prices and also make it even more difficult for you to acquire the item you seek. With the influx of new collectors, this is only exacerbated.

hope that helps, and again...just want to mention how great this community is. But in some regards...a little bit of caution and prudence is needed when discussing this on this site."

So.....you clearly recognized why it's bad to post things like this, yet you did it again? hehe.

EDIT: No hard feelings here - I mainly just found it very entertaining - I laughed when I read this."

Edited: 04/20/2016 at 02:24 PM by zredgemz

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:15:00 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Shatterhand, Power Blade,Batman: Return of the Joker and Shadow of the Ninja would be my bets for nes.

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:18:23 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Any that are in that $15-$40 range that are about a 4, 5, or 6 on the rarity scale.

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:29:51 PM
Feefle (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
Go! Go! Hypergrind.

NES: Nostalgia Exploitation System. PC Engine: Personal Computer Shooter.

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:38:50 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Shatterhand, Power Blade,Batman: Return of the Joker and Shadow of the Ninja would be my bets for nes.

I'm honestly surprised that RotJ has stalled for the last couple of years just under the $40 average mark. The game has all the ingredients for a price spike:
  • Already an uncommon game.
  • Morons killing carts to make Gimmick repros.
  • Challenging but fair platformer.
  • Tied to an IP that is currently in the limelight (Batman v Superman).
My guess is the old AVGN Batman video gave the game a bad reputation and left it overshadowed by the first game.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:40:18 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: teh lurv

I'm honestly surprised that RotJ has stalled for the last couple of years just under the $40 average mark. The game has all the ingredients for a price spike:
My guess is the old AVGN Batman video gave the game a bad reputation and left it overshadowed by the first game.

That, or just the glut of batman titles, and it being a licensed title so people assume it sucks. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:47:59 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan

If you have 3,000-4,000 people out there pursuing SNES full sets, at least 95% of them probably don't have ____ or _____.  Once they figure out that game has a small pool, and it starts to dry up, everyone bumps it up to the top of the list to try and knock it out before it becomes another Bronkie or Incantation.  Now its in the group mindset that the title is hard to acquire, and is more of a priority.
Man, I even saw Bronkie 2 weeks ago in a shop and passed right over it.  I just can't bring myself to spend that much on those games.  Rex Ronan and Captain Novolin were hard enough to justify price wise, Bronkie's price is stupid high for what you get ...

Haves     |     Wants

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:53:09 PM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
Eventually every game will be expensive, right? I'd like to add "NA Effect" in a dictionary.

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:53:35 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: teh lurv

Because its not that hard to come by. Ive had atleast 30-40 of these through the last few years that Ive sold. It doubled in price from 20 to 40 because of the mr gimmick thing. But I believe there is other means now so the price cooled back down. 

Its about where it should be imo

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 04/20/2016 at 02:54 PM by quest4nes

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:58:39 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I am going out a limb but Zen the Intergalactic Ninja? I don't think it is going to skyrocket or anything but.....somewhat late release, Konami, good game.

Who knows..

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:01:41 PM
TheToxicCollector (59)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
New York

It is exactly right. These threads make people rush out and scoop up titles that get mentioned. Once they are all bought up, prices jump. These threads hurt you as a potential buyer as well as everyone else who still needs to add whatever title it may be to their collection. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:13:29 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Stryphos

Man, I even saw Bronkie 2 weeks ago in a shop and passed right over it.  I just can't bring myself to spend that much on those games.  Rex Ronan and Captain Novolin were hard enough to justify price wise, Bronkie's price is stupid high for what you get ...

I dug it out of stack of reseller commons back when it was worth $50.  It was so shitty that I actually entertained selling it off so I could buy a good game.  Good thing I held off...

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131