Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Anyone up to creating a Venture Bros. SNES game? Possible idea for Homebrew

Feb 22 at 12:17:19 PM
8bithustler (51)
(Brandon Rose) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Just wanted to plant a seed here about maybe partnering with somoene on here and creating a Venture Bros. SNES game. I myself sadly cant program games to save my life, but i have this idea for a game, and possibly others if someone with programming skills would be interested in picking my brain?

-------------------------
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result - Albert Einstein

Feb 22 at 12:19:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Most guys, nowadays, with the skills and interest in creating homebrew are not going to pirate a licensed IP.

Feb 22 at 1:26:16 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
Why Venture Bros. in particular? What's the connection to the SNES?

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Feb 23 at 8:23:43 AM
dougeff (13)
< Eggplant Wizard >
The boys have infinite lives, due to being cloned. The father is a scientist. You could have a Brock Sampson driving minigame. It's one of the few shows where henchmen have backstories. There's tons of monsters, including Major Tom.

I could see that. There's a lot of game design potential here.

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Edited: 02/23/2019 at 08:26 AM by dougeff

Feb 23 at 9:37:56 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Should be for Atari 2600 because...

https://www.google.com/search?q=v...

Feb 23 at 6:40:54 PM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Best bet is getting someone to change sprites in an existing game but idk Venture Bros enough to suggest a possibly-similar game

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Feb 23 at 6:43:28 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Most guys, nowadays, with the skills and interest in creating homebrew are not going to pirate a licensed IP.

What he said. You're opening yourself up for a possible lawsuit. Why bother. You can make a great game without stepping on copyrighted material.

Feb 25 at 12:54:33 PM
8bithustler (51)
Washington
Ok so my co-worker and I were talking about the idea, and were thinking that this could be something fun to do.

Maybe keep their storyline ( IE two kids who are clones, a bodyguard who enjoys all the finer parts of life, and a whiny scientist who thinks he's gods gift to science)

It was something to get the ball rolling. I have some other ideas for games, but sadly dont have the programming skills.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result - Albert Einstein

Feb 25 at 1:19:53 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: 8bithustler

Ok so my co-worker and I were talking about the idea, and were thinking that this could be something fun to do.

Maybe keep their storyline ( IE two kids who are clones, a bodyguard who enjoys all the finer parts of life, and a whiny scientist who thinks he's gods gift to science)

It was something to get the ball rolling. I have some other ideas for games, but sadly dont have the programming skills.
I hate to be a downer but "ideas for games" are a dime-a-dozen, unless you're talking about coming up with a truly unique ruleset or concept (i.e. a genre that has never been done before, for instance).

For games that fit existing genre descriptions, execution is everything.

That said, there are legitimately good games that have been made with toolsets like GameMaker, to where your need to do engine-programming largely goes away.
(you focus on rulesets, level design, art, and music -- i.e. implementing actual game design -- rather than making the underlying backbone)

Edited: 02/25/2019 at 01:21 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 25 at 1:42:33 PM
8bithustler (51)
Washington
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I hate to be a downer but "ideas for games" are a dime-a-dozen, unless you're talking about coming up with a truly unique ruleset or concept (i.e. a genre that has never been done before, for instance).

For games that fit existing genre descriptions, execution is everything.

That said, there are legitimately good games that have been made with toolsets like GameMaker, to where your need to do engine-programming largely goes away.
(you focus on rulesets, level design, art, and music -- i.e. implementing actual game design -- rather than making the underlying backbone)
That might be the way to go. Im just now dipping my toes into this idea, so I have next to no clue of the scene outside of collecting them.

Feb 27 at 1:42:33 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
http://vintage.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=2...

As Nathan mentioned: pitched ideas are a dime a dozen (have over 50 from last year alone in my inbox), and most ideas aren't well thought out and no details have been presented. So you have this cool idea, yet put ZERO effort into it. It's not gonna fly with anyone. And, unless you're doing a significant part of the job yourself (programming, music, or artwork), expect to pay a small fortune. Expect the small fortune anyway, but add another skill you have to pay for on top.

Tl;dr: read http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 02/27/2019 at 01:44 PM by dra600n

Feb 27 at 2:00:37 PM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States

Feb 27 at 4:15:51 PM
8bithustler (51)
Washington
Originally posted by: dra600n

As Nathan mentioned: pitched ideas are a dime a dozen (have over 50 from last year alone in my inbox), and most ideas aren't well thought out and no details have been presented. So you have this cool idea, yet put ZERO effort into it. It's not gonna fly with anyone. And, unless you're doing a significant part of the job yourself (programming, music, or artwork), expect to pay a small fortune. Expect the small fortune anyway, but add another skill you have to pay for on top.

Tl;dr: read http://vintage.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=2...

I actually have some of the storyline and outline done as I was going to go the mobile route with the idea. Small fortune is understandable given I'm paying someone for their time. We would be getting funding to start our idea but I needed to find out more about how it could be done, what to expect when starting the idea, and getting a checklist of key points.

I understand everyone's thinking here that ideas are dime a dozen, and it's all just that. I love reproductions and homebrews, so I appreciate everyone's feedback thank toy very much.

I will take the advice here and start working on the storyboard and other key parts so that I can be more prepared when I take the idea to a developer and have them assist with development.

Again, I would like to thank everyone here for your time and responses. I see that having an idea means squat unless you have a solid plan built out when it comes to a homebrew.

Feb 27 at 4:36:23 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

I actually have some of the storyline and outline done

And that's exactly what I was referring to. I don't mean to take a dig at you, because I'm sure you have all good intentions (most folks do), but a lot do not consider things past some story components. In fact, I'll leave the story aspect out of it (because depending on the game, that could be an entire thing on its own).

Do you have the number of enemies on screen at once in mind? Sprite sizes? Animation frames required? Power-ups? Skills? Attacks? Jumps (and how they respond), HUD size, scoring (if any), enemy AI (and how many variations), map sizes, number of maps, any type of background enhancements (layering, parallax, etc). Then comes the parts of who's doing the level designs? Who's making the tools (if they don't already exist)? What about music and sfx? How many tracks will you need? How many sfx will you need?

Then, once you know all of that, will it all be able to realistically go on X platform?

You can easily say "I'll discuss that with the developer", but very few developers will spend hours upon hours tweaking and tailoring your idea to determine if they want to do the project. It might not be entirely possible to get every variable written down, but if you don't have at least 75% of that list ready to hand over to someone, you probably won't get any interest, no matter how cool your idea may sound. You have to show the effort before people can believe you're serious about it, ya know?

Again, I'm not trying to come off as sounding like a jerk, just trying to give you some info if you're serious about your project (or future projects).

Feb 27 at 4:54:47 PM
8bithustler (51)
Washington
Myself and a friend of mine are very serious about doing this. Your list there gives me exactly what I need to know to start.

We originally planned for a mobile game with a mmorpg feel to it, but realized that the cost of server maintenance along with programming was too much. What were hoping for now is to take the idea, and tweak it for a console release. I'll need to research games of the genre were wanting to do to see about Sprite size, enemies on screen etc. and continue to build it out from there.

With any luck, I can migrate from a collector of homebrews to an actual creator. Let me take this list guys and run with it. I can start with this as a baseline and go from there.

But you guys also gave me a wonderful idea to use my content writing skills for doing how-to guides and to apply it to developing a homebrew. I'm sure hundreds of guides exist, so it's not as novel an idea as I'd like it to be.

Feb 28 at 9:40:27 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Yea, there's this site called gamefaqs that has hundreds of thousands of game guides. About 25 years late to that party  

Feb 28 at 10:10:40 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I think he's referring to guides on how to develop a Homebrew game, of which I'm sure there could be more of (as someone currently learning this myself).

Mar 01 at 1:00:01 AM
8bithustler (51)
Washington
Originally posted by: Gloves

I think he's referring to guides on how to develop a Homebrew game, of which I'm sure there could be more of (as someone currently learning this myself).

That was it actually. I wanted to start gathering together information about the process from people, and maybe build a pdf file of how to build a homebrew and what tools, skills and classes one will want to take. Kind of like a dummies guide to homebrew.

Mar 01 at 12:28:06 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida

I actually have some of the storyline and outline done

And that's exactly what I was referring to. I don't mean to take a dig at you, because I'm sure you have all good intentions (most folks do), but a lot do not consider things past some story components. In fact, I'll leave the story aspect out of it (because depending on the game, that could be an entire thing on its own).

Do you have the number of enemies on screen at once in mind? Sprite sizes? Animation frames required? Power-ups? Skills? Attacks? Jumps (and how they respond), HUD size, scoring (if any), enemy AI (and how many variations), map sizes, number of maps, any type of background enhancements (layering, parallax, etc). Then comes the parts of who's doing the level designs? Who's making the tools (if they don't already exist)? What about music and sfx? How many tracks will you need? How many sfx will you need?

Then, once you know all of that, will it all be able to realistically go on X platform?

You can easily say "I'll discuss that with the developer", but very few developers will spend hours upon hours tweaking and tailoring your idea to determine if they want to do the project. It might not be entirely possible to get every variable written down, but if you don't have at least 75% of that list ready to hand over to someone, you probably won't get any interest, no matter how cool your idea may sound. You have to show the effort before people can believe you're serious about it, ya know?

Again, I'm not trying to come off as sounding like a jerk, just trying to give you some info if you're serious about your project (or future projects).

^ I want to echo and add to this, as it's something I'm learning as well. When getting into any project, it's best to cut your teeth on something first. It at least helps with the communication and understanding aspect when working with a team.

Even if it doesn't make it to fruition, at least you can use what you've learned on other projects. 

Also, conception rarely is 1:1 to the final product. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. 

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Mar 01 at 1:44:23 PM
8bithustler (51)
Washington
I just figured if there wasnt something out there already that kind of breaks down a lot of this, that I could maybe gather some resources from places, people etc. and work to put together something easy for people to read, understand and be able to use as a resource for those who have next to no clue how to do this......like myself. I apologize if i gave off any vibes that I knew what im doing here