Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Guerrilla War Contest ends Sunday, 6/23/13 at 10 PM NA time

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:56:20 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests.  With only two weeks to go until the first tournament, the competition is sure to heat up.  This week's game is going to be Guerrilla War.  Here are the rules:

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Press Select to see your score
  • No point racking allowed
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 6/23/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 06/24/2013 at 12:21 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:37:21 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Updated 6/20: 2,093,800 (Game Completed)

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 06/20/2013 at 09:45 AM by bearcat-doug

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:32:38 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland

Got really tired at the end of the week, so I took a good rest, and thus, couldn't participate. I gave it one last try today and here it is! I feel that I could do much better if I felt better, but here it is

FINAL SCORE:1075600

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 06/23/2013 at 06:06 PM by Vectrex28

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:35:00 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Updated 6/20/13

That's it...maybe?

Edited: 06/20/2013 at 08:56 PM by EgasKrad

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17:07 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
1,845,000 (Game completed)

Edited: 06/20/2013 at 11:53 PM by gutsman004

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:48:42 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
How can you guys get so many points on Level 3. I got to the boss and I had less than anybody else! Is it because I killed too many hostages? I'd like to know...

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:48:08 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

How can you guys get so many points on Level 3. I got to the boss and I had less than anybody else! Is it because I killed too many hostages? I'd like to know...

Probably. When I was playing,I was very deliberate in not killing the hostages. When an enemy or group of them are near hostages,I always carefully throw my grenades and rarely use my gun. I've found with the grenades,you can kill the enemies without killing the hostages easier,as you can place them easier and don't have to worry about any stray shots from the gun. To me,this game stresses shot accuracy over firing your shots indiscriminately,which is found in so many other shooters. With this game,I just take my time and pick and choose my shots.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:10:18 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Killing a hostage takes away 500 points as well as costing you the 1000 point bonus, so you basically lose a potential 1500 points off your score for each one that gets killed.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:26:15 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Fine, i'll try to rescue the hostages better. Also, don't forget to make bacon out of the piggies! It's worth 1000 points.
That's another reason I like this game. it gives you points when you make bacon

Edited: 06/18/2013 at 11:26 AM by Vectrex28

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:58:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Fine, i'll try to rescue the hostages better. Also, don't forget to make bacon out of the piggies! It's worth 1000 points.
That's another reason I like this game. it gives you points when you make bacon

Plus you get points for picking up playboy bunnies too.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13:24 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I don't celebrate scores, but damn it, I'm so average at games, I have to do this: score is updated to 527,200, new leader (even if only for an hour)! Woo hoo!!

Also, I want to go on record and say I absolutely LOVE level 3. Nothing but flame thrower power ups = awesome.

Edited: 06/18/2013 at 01:13 PM by EgasKrad

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:12:16 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

I don't celebrate scores, but damn it, I'm so average at games, I have to do this: score is updated to 527,200, new leader (even if only for an hour)! Woo hoo!!

Also, I want to go on record and say I absolutely LOVE level 3. Nothing but flame thrower power ups = awesome.

You made the top ten last contest,and that's not average. We're glad to have you competing! After today I'm off the next three days,so I hope to put up a really good score with that extra free time.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:34:45 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Duck this boat! Just duck it...

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:04:53 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Fun game!  Guerrilla War is like a better Ikari Warriors + Jackal.  I had quite a few stupid deaths and only came across one 1-up this run.  I feel like I could do better but I'm happy with this score for now.  

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:16:01 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Originally posted by: Alder

Fun game!  Guerrilla War is like a better Ikari Warriors + Jackal.  I had quite a few stupid deaths and only came across one 1-up this run.  I feel like I could do better but I'm happy with this score for now.  

How can you pass that boat... Teach me the way, O grand master!

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:35:45 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania

How can you pass that boat... Teach me the way, O grand master!
Make sure you have the fire powerup.  Focus on your character and avoiding the bullets but watch out for the guys that run toward you.  The other powerups might work fine as well; but this was the first time I ever got that far.  I happened to have the fire powerup and it went fine.. but if you die and resort back to your standard gun I imagine it'd be a lot harder

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:41:19 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

I had the exact same thought playing it for the first time Yesterday. I'm not sure already to say it is better than Jackal, but it is indeed a very fun combination of both games.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:09:10 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Guerrilla War is one of those hidden gems on the NES. A lot of people have never heard of it, and when they play it, they love it. Guerrilla War was one of the first games I got when I started collecting NES games and it's one of my favorite shooters on the system. The best way to get far in the game is to take it slow. It pays off in the end and you can get a decent score doing so.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:15:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I had the exact same thought playing it for the first time Yesterday. I'm not sure already to say it is better than Jackal, but it is indeed a very fun combination of both games.

Ah...Jackal...one of my favorites. I can see the Ikari + Jackal analogy. GW is definitely a hidden gem and you do have to take your time and place shots carefully. If you play this game like a lot of shooters and charge head first with guns a blazin' you will do quite poorly.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:00:17 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Guerrilla War is one of those hidden gems on the NES. A lot of people have never heard of it, and when they play it, they love it. Guerrilla War was one of the first games I got when I started collecting NES games and it's one of my favorite shooters on the system. The best way to get far in the game is to take it slow. It pays off in the end and you can get a decent score doing so.
I got a mint CB Guerrilla War at Goodwill about two years ago.  It's probably the mintiest box I have in my collection.  I had never played it until about a year ago when I plowed through it using continues in about half an hour.  Put it back on the shelf and haven't picked it up until today.  Funny thing is, I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I'm concerned about the score.  

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:26:54 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

If you play this game like a lot of shooters and charge head first with guns a blazin' you will do quite poorly.

That's been my problem so far. When I've played this other times I was just trying to beat the game and I didn't care about the score so I torched most of the hostages that were in my way and straight up ignored the rest. Patience isn't my strong area so it might be one and done for me this week.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:45:00 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

If you play this game like a lot of shooters and charge head first with guns a blazin' you will do quite poorly.

That's been my problem so far. When I've played this other times I was just trying to beat the game and I didn't care about the score so I torched most of the hostages that were in my way and straight up ignored the rest. Patience isn't my strong area so it might be one and done for me this week.

Ah come on man,you are on a tear right now! It would suck to see it derailed now. Actually I figured you'd have doubled or tripled your score by now. Even though I only got 4 hours of sleep this morning and am pretty tired,I'm still excited to play this tonight when I get home.

And I used to play this game guns a blazin',but now I play it more like Metal Gear.

Edited: 06/18/2013 at 07:45 PM by gutsman004

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:05:05 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Ah come on man,you are on a tear right now! It would suck to see it derailed now. Actually I figured you'd have doubled or tripled your score by now. Even though I only got 4 hours of sleep this morning and am pretty tired,I'm still excited to play this tonight when I get home. And I used to play this game guns a blazin',but now I play it more like Metal Gear.

I took a break today to keep the burnout from setting in, but I'll probably give it a few more shots before the end of the week if I can get myself motivated. The scores so far are really impressive so I'll have my work cut out for me from the looks of it.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:37:52 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Ah come on man,you are on a tear right now! It would suck to see it derailed now. Actually I figured you'd have doubled or tripled your score by now. Even though I only got 4 hours of sleep this morning and am pretty tired,I'm still excited to play this tonight when I get home. And I used to play this game guns a blazin',but now I play it more like Metal Gear.

The scores so far are really impressive so I'll have my work cut out for me from the looks of it.

Says the man who scored over a million on Ice Climber. I understand about taking a break. I could,but I just don't want to. There's just too many great games to play and Bimmy is doing a great job with game selection. The game slate for the 2nd half of the season looks amazing! Even for weeks when I think I'll take it easy because I think a game may not be all that great (Yoshi,for example),it ends up being a real blast. I don't think I'll be taking a break until this season is over quite honestly. I enjoy battling too much.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:55:28 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Says the man who scored over a million on Ice Climber. I understand about taking a break. I could,but I just don't want to. There's just too many great games to play and Bimmy is doing a great job with game selection. The game slate for the 2nd half of the season looks amazing! Even for weeks when I think I'll take it easy because I think a game may not be all that great (Yoshi,for example),it ends up being a real blast. I don't think I'll be taking a break until this season is over quite honestly. I enjoy battling too much.

Hopefully I can get a good night's rest and give it a few tries in the morning since that seems to be the time of the day when I put my best runs together.