NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Name the Mascot Contest!

LOCKED TOPIC

May 28, 2008 at 9:25:10 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
That's a great idea, we use you as our mascot, Stan?

j/k you know we all love you

-------------------------

May 28, 2008 at 11:58:51 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Hahaha, good one. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks good, but I'm not so sure I like the idea because it's essentially just a borrowed character you're renaming. Good game, sure, but I don't know if it should be the mascot, I think it would be best if he drew something original. I wouldn't know where to start though, just a thought.

May 29, 2008 at 7:32:02 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Stan why all the negativity lately? I am about to change your name from Stan to Negative Nancy, all your posts anymore are complaints lately.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

May 29, 2008 at 11:21:28 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^ Lately?

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

May 29, 2008 at 11:31:33 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Hhahaha, sorry, I'm not trying to tear this down or something, it just makes more sense to me for us to have a site specific mascot instead of a character created by someone else essentially. I'm not trying to be negative about it, just a thought.

May 29, 2008 at 12:03:39 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
It was my idea to so Dana from Solomon's Key, and Aaron actually wanted to do something a bit different (he mentioned something a bit "darker"). I'm not sure if he was still planning on that or not, but I'm always open to ideas -- none of this has been put into print yet, AFAIK.

May 29, 2008 at 12:45:30 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Hmmm, if you're looking for a contest, this would be a good idea. Create the mascot, then name it. Two contests right there for you.

May 29, 2008 at 2:16:36 PM
nesdude (122)
(Matt Yanders) < Ridley Wrangler >
Iowa
I actually agree with Stan this time. Its a sweet drawing but I think it would be cool if you had a contest and came up with something totally new. There are still NANWCs that need to find homes.

May 29, 2008 at 6:46:50 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I think Dain is allowed to take a few liberty's for the community he has built. His favorite game is Solomen's Key so if he wants a mascot based off that I stand behind him 100%. I think the drawing looks awesome and will make a great mascot.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

May 29, 2008 at 8:21:30 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Somehow I doubt Tecmo will defend their IP. I can't see Solomon's Key or the "Dana" character making a big comeback in any sense. Even so, they'd have to prove that this character was actually Dana's likeness. Tough to do when the cover art for Solomon's Key is anthropomorphic without the superdeformed features, the sprites themselves are rough 8-bit pixel art with no fine detail, and the drawings in the SK1 manual are only one step above being stick figures. Fire n Ice shows him a little more cartoony, but that rendering of the character is quite different from our mascot logo. Not to mention Dana hasn't been used since like 1987.

As far as I'm concerned it's safe to say we've made something unique enough, and I can see how we'll make it "our own" in representation, name and usage. Why not take inspiration from something great that's recognizable to classic gamers (and has nothing to do with plumbing) and most of all, what our esteemed Grand Poobah wants!!

Edited: 05/29/2008 at 08:22 PM by dangevin

May 29, 2008 at 9:33:30 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Sure, whatever, I don't mind, just a suggestion. I'm just saying that, well, it's not our idea really. I don't mean that Tecmo will give a crap, not saying that at all, I'm saying that this has nothing to do with NA. It would make more sense to me to have something that represents the site and the community, not a character from Solomon's Key. I think most NES fans can pick out who it is immediately and might wonder why he's the mascot. Why not Mario from Wrecking Crew? One of the Ice Climbers? Anyway, it was just a suggestion, it does look awesome, I just figured I'd mention that because it seems to make more sense to me, and it solves your contest question, it would make an awesome one.  All you've done here is rename and sort-of redesign a character, not much thought in that.  I'm sure someone like Gimmick would have some awesome ideas for a character.

Edited: 05/29/2008 at 09:36 PM by Stan

May 29, 2008 at 11:28:31 PM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
I have a feeling that the winner of this contest will get a NANWC!!!

May 30, 2008 at 8:08:03 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Stan wasn't being negative.  To be honest, when I see that picture I think 'Oh, that's Dain' since you've used it in your avatar for so long.  Just how when I see Mario with his boobs hanging out I think of nofriendo or some cruddy looking bum I think of Justabum.  I don't have a problem with you using it one bit as the mascot though; you created the site and you can do whatever you want with it.

May 30, 2008 at 8:54:47 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
An idea that kind of popped in my head, if I were to design one, was something like a robot similar to ROB, but made out of like NES parts, such as a first generation control deck for a head and shit.

May 31, 2008 at 2:44:59 AM
Beaks (5)
< Tourian Tourist >
Ontario
Alright guys, simmer down. We've already got the perfect name, it's the one I suggested, still waiting for the prize thoguh ) But seriously, I think the name I came up with is just too perfect, it's simple and I think captures the spirit of NA.
- The Game Keeper
It's a play on Gate Keeper with a nod to Game collecting. What could be better?
This works whether the original mascot is kept, or a new one is created. If you decide to take the new route, create around that name, like create a cool guard, a troll, a hermit or even a gamer in a pile of games, or any other great ideas that spring to mind with that name. Or make it a contest to see who can come up with the best version of "the Game Keeper".
C'mon guys, give me my props, I'm good at coming up with creative names, I'm also currently working on getting E-Bay to change their name to the "jerk-store" p

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:56:50 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

The time for submissions has ended. Click the link to vote for your favorite!