Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tech Talk SNES HDMI mod

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:50:30 PM
JoeVsFox (0)
(Joe ) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
Tanooki. Thanks for the tip. And yeah, that guy sure went to town on getting some useful data. Basically I plan on trying to get my hands on a GPM-01, or 1CHIP-01/02/03. Really anything besided the GPM-02 since I just tested my other GPM-02 and got the same results with the original power supply and no HDMI, just plan component, tapping off both the composite/s-video Lumina and pin 7. This looks like a long road ahead for me.

Check my original post for the update.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:34:30 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
No problem. My curiosity ended up finding that website very early this year. I lucked into a right place/time thing on craigslist with a guy just over the river in Indiana who posted that DK SNES set for $80 complete in the box with a small handful of other decent games with some having manuals. Pic wasn't the best, but the price was too good to ignore, yet when I got my hands on it and saw it looked new as did the box I couldn't pay fast enough and found talking to the guy they bought it, used it lightly, treated it like a champ and stored it for years. I had heard the DK unit would have a different setup inside that would hate on Super GnG and Pocky and Rocky so that they would not work. Mine did, so confused I looked and found that link you re-located. So whatever the case may be, there's either some bad luck around or two variants of the 1CHIP board not documented as my games work, with a weird visual slight visual anomaly though but do. On my 26" LCD screen the far right and left inch of the view area the visuals (horizontal scroll) will move at a different movement speed than the majority of the screen which I can't figure any explanation for. Needless the say the 1CHIP is wired differently than any other unit so it is one you really should investigate as a strong possibility for your intended results.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:32:05 AM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Here is a list of serial numbers of SNES/SFC consoles,https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvE57-VbN9_HdEp...  it will give you an idea of what to look for in your search for a 1-CHIP. An easy solution is to look for a Super Famicom console on Ebay from Japan, it seems all the sellers show pictures of the bottom of the console including the serial numbers. This is how I found my 1-CHIP Super Famicom from Japan, total cost after shipping $37.

-------------------------

Edited: 10/18/2013 at 02:32 AM by marvelus10

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:39:40 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Yup another dead give away is the bottom. In the hinge hole on the bottom if you see 3 metallic spots it's not 1CHIP and then if you see like a metallic ring in that spot it is. But as you noted, most won't take a pic that nice.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:54:34 PM
Ren01 (0)

(Ren01 01) < Cherub >
United States
I think the difference in quality from the HDMI output is greatly hindered buy the HDMI breadboard converter your using. Any good quality reciever will have a much better post processing then the board would likely have. Cool mod none the less. Also,I believe your scan line issues are due to you using a LCD and not a plasma.

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:18:33 AM
JoeVsFox (0)
(Joe ) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
Ren01. The lines were there from the component signal. I did the component mod alone to a SNES with the same revision chipset and got the lines from 2 different SNESs on a tube TV. It's not the TV. Sadly the GPM-02 chipset presents those lines from thr component mod.

On that note, I ordered a 1chip SNES for 60 bucks online. Should be here in a week.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:19:00 AM
2A03 (8)
(Ben U.) < Crack Trooper >
California
Originally posted by: JoeVsFox

Okay, so after a bit of research, it seems the best SNES to use for component would be the SNES jr. I don't think there is enough space to fit a converter in there. I've also learned the best SNS-001 to use is the 1CHIP. I lack both. I still have more tests to try but for now, looks like I'm SNES hunting as well.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?38581-Be...

This post had some useful info.
Those will not work as the video encoder in both the 1chip and SNES mini does not have component video signals. RGB =/= component.

Edited: 10/22/2013 at 04:19 AM by 2A03

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:33:22 PM
JoeVsFox (0)
(Joe ) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
I am a bit curious as to that knowledge. I have done research and the SNES 1chip still can output RGB via SCART. I also just recieved my SNES 1chip from ebay today. Time to see what I can make happen. Also I've been trying to get my hands on any other model besides the GPM-02 and 1CHIP (one with the standard RGB video chip) to see if those lines will dissapear.

I am also a know to knowledgable about SCART and the output of it on SNES. 

May 25, 2014 at 3:00:56 AM
sandplasma (0)
(Gerry ) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
Any updates on this?

SNES Collection | Genesis Collection | PS1 Collection | NES Collection

May 25, 2014 at 1:17:31 PM
Aaendi (0)

(Andy Koenigs) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
The diagonal lines look like an unfiltered composite signal with no Y/C separation.

May 25, 2014 at 2:29:49 PM
RiverCityRansom2 (7)

< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
be curious to see how the HDMI mod performs on a older widescreen CRT(sony wega etc) that has HDMI.

I always hated how HDMI looks on DVD's and other such older technology especially paired with a LCD...double whammy.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:09:53 PM
rooski (0)

< Cherub >
About the diagonal lines with svideo. i had this issue with an elcheapo svideo cable off ebay. turns out pins 7 and 9 were switched in the av hookup to the snes. after switching them the diagonal lines disappeared. Oh Aaendi's got it right there :/

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:14:40 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
I have a RGB21 cable for my SNES and I don't see those diagonal lines.

For some reason the bottom photo is not scaling right, NA.com shrunk it when I uploaded it.

LG plasma, 480p XRGB2

Pioneer PDP-V402 4:3 native RGB commercia plasma display

Edited: 10/14/2014 at 01:20 PM by Shinju

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:52:14 PM
Hubz (36)
(Dustin Hubbard) < Eggplant Wizard >
Oklahoma
Very cool! I've had trouble with the component mod myself. Seems like there's no real one way to do it? Depends on revisions and what not. I actually modded one, had it working and looking really nice on my plasma. listed and sold it on ebay and the day before shipping tested it and could not get a signal again! It's bizarre... haven't troubleshooted it since then but can't understand why it would work one day and not the next.

High Quality Game Scans at -

http://www.gamingalexandria.com...

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:44:52 PM
Nirvanaruns (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Sorry guys but i need some help.... i'm doing a power supply mod on my snes jr. and another stuffs, i already contact a guy who has already end this mod but i'm not sure if i'm doing correctly... let me explain:

1.- this guy says:

"The original 7805 voltage regulator is removed. The 5V from
the USB power supply goes to the in and out pins (pins 1 and 3) while
the black ground wire goes to the second pin (ground). All that is
needed then is to switch the 5V on and off with the power switch."

so , did i need to remove my 7805 from my snes board?

2.- if i remove it , i need add a 5v. charger (phone charger) and do something like this : http://prntscr.com/5b93v8... (obs, without the 7805) is my draw correct? ( if is not , can you draw the correct way to do this for me?)

3.- is there any chance to kill my snes if i remove the 7805 and i connect it to the electricity?, i ask 'cause i'll change the 10v. of the original setup of the snes for a 5v.( USB charger) and idk if will works :/

4.- if it works, can i add a hub to the 5v. of the charger? (it's a stupid thing but i want to add 4 usb on my snes and use them to charge cellphones on it).

thanks a lot for any help guys i'm just a lurker on this forum but now i need some help , also sorry for my english (i do the best i can) and i hope this post will be not a spam message or something. i leave you my email if someone can helps me : [email protected] and i'll check this post each day and maybe i can find the best way to do this mod.

ty again and gl for all

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:52:39 AM
JoeVsFox (0)
(Joe ) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
Okay guys. I'm back with some new ideas and opinions. I will, in the next few weeks/months, post more info on my snes mod findings. I also have a different HDMI mod I plan to do with new equipment. Been a bit busy lately but I want to get this done.

Good news is, this mod can be done as not a mod at all and just externally. But I prefer an all-in-one convenient package. Plus this mod involves removing the power supply, and to me that is important as I don't like to leave that brick of a transformer plugged in as it always is wasting your electricity.

Stay tuned.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:08:17 PM
Infamous Lunchbox (35)
(Ryan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Utah
Can't wait to see this.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:53:41 PM
supersaiyajingodgoku (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Little Mac >
this is dead isn't it.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:19:53 AM
gallean (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
hi everybody,

thanks for the tuto, well i was thinking to mod my snes junior (us version then) in rgb and add this mod, but hmm, there's not a lot of place in this rev of the snes, anyone think this could fit ?

thanks for your lights

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:56:16 PM
JoeVsFox (0)
(Joe ) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
Not dead! I'm just forgetful!

Anyways, the plan is (when I get to it) to use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D86UY...

And tap off the A/V port SCART pins using this little diagram (NTSC & PAL):

I plan to solder in the caps and resistors inside the case, disassemble the SCART to HDMI breadbox (which is powered off of 5V, very useful!) and shove it all in the SNES case in a similar fashion as I did with the previous model, with a Samsung 120VAC to 5VDC/2AMPS.

Now whats GREAT about this concept is that you DON'T need to mod your SNES to get the same quality picture. You can just buy a SCART cable (NTSC or PAL, there is a difference) and buy the breadbox. Though I'm sure this is not new nes to a lot of people here. What I'm doing isn't exactly ground breaking, but I do like the idea of having an all-in-one package. An SNES that uses an IEC-C7 plug (same as your PS2/3/4, and other common items) with the best possible picture. This requires that you have a SNES1CHIP model, which I currently do and use with the above converter. I've done much research and testing trying to find a solid SCART to HDMI converted that is 5V and will fit into the SNES. 

Some very useful sites I got information from include:
http://retrorgb.com/snes.html...
http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=101...
http://console5.com/wiki/SNES...
there's definitely more but I can't recall them all. 

Anywaaaaaayyssssssss, let me know if you have any questions people. I will get to this someday...

Edited: 08/22/2015 at 05:01 PM by JoeVsFox

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:28:51 AM
gallean (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
hi joe
well as asked before, just would like to know if this mod can works on snes junior

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:44:22 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Seeing the wavy lines on your component-via-CRT picture looks like what my NES was doing on a CRT before I started using a DC power supply.

Try a DC supply and see if it goes away. If so, the component on the CRT is probably going to be the best picture quality of the bunch.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:55:37 PM
JoeVsFox (0)
(Joe ) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: gallean

hi joe
well as asked before, just would like to know if this mod can works on snes junior

gallean,

Yes, however you'll need to wire your SNES Jr. to output SCART. It's there on the board, you just need to make the signal usable. Nintendo found it easier and cheaper to just eliminate that output option as it wasn't used much (even though the picture quality is WAY better).

Check out this link that explains what you'll need to do if you have an SNES Jr:
http://retrorgb.com/snesminirgb.h...

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Seeing the wavy lines on your component-via-CRT picture looks like what my NES was doing on a CRT before I started using a DC power supply.

Try a DC supply and see if it goes away. If so, the component on the CRT is probably going to be the best picture quality of the bunch.

arch_8ngel,

After much research and testing, It was found that the reasoning behind the lines was due to the revision model of the SNES (mine being a GMP-02 chipset). Certain models have cheaper RGB video encoders (those being the GMP series).

Check out this wiki for more info:
http://console5.com/wiki/SNES...

It should be said that I also did the DC mod along with the component mod of two GMP-02 chipsets. I tested them with a CRT and LCD, both with the normal power supply, and then the 5VDC supply, comparing the image. The lines were ALWAYS there when trying to use component, but were gone when using composite. It should also be noted that I grabbed lumina from several locations to see if that was the issue. It was not. I can only assum after all that work that I was the revision of the SNES. 

I got my hands on a few different models since and have done the component mod and never had those lines on non-GMP models.

ALSO!... The best picture quality you can get from ANY individual SNES will always be SCART (aka RBG, not to be confused with component). This is, to basically put it, the rawest usable video signal from the SNES. One that hasn't been converted, and in turn, downgraded to a more commonly used input (coaxial or composite). Which is why they started to not wire in the ability to use the SCART signal on the SNES Jrs to save manufacturing time and money (but the RBG signal is still there and can be modded to output SCART). There are a few more tid bits of info on that, but that's basically the concept. And overall, the BEST picture you can get from the entire SNES series will be an RGB modded SNES Jr.

Just see here for yourself (I got a LOT of info from this guy):
http://retrorgb.com/snesversionco...

CHEERS!

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:18:59 PM
supersaiyajingodgoku (0)
< Little Mac >
is your mod going to be better than hd retrovision's cables?

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:41:43 PM
supersaiyajingodgoku (0)
< Little Mac >
JoeVsFox please respond to my message above