Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every Virtual Boy game in a year? (2017) Games beaten: 9/14 - Last game finished: Galactic Pinball

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:21:57 AM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Greetings folks. I've decided to revive what has been a failed tradition, but maybe this year we can finally accomplish the goal for this extremely small library of games?

​Can NA Beat Every Virtual Boy Game in a Year?

Rules:
The same rules from the other Beat threads will apply here as well.
Emulation will be allowed so I don't want to here headache excuses! (Plus I don't even have a VB so it's the only way I can contribute.)
If you beat a game, post a comment here and we will mark it on the list. Pictures are not required but highly appreciated.
If you have questions what constitues a game as beaten, post a comment and we will work to figure it out.​​​

Unbeaten Games:

3-D Tetris

Golf

Nester's Funky Bowling

Teleroboxer

Virtual League Baseball

Completed Games:

1. Mario's Tennis (Guntz)

2. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Jono1874)

3. Waterworld (Gladius)

​4. Panic Bomber (DOPLIC)

5. Vertical Force (Modern8bit)

6. Jack Bros. (DOPLIC)

7. Mario Clash (Red)

8. Red Alarm (Red)

9. Galatic Pinball​ (Red)

Completion Requirements:

​These are going to be what I consider the minimum requirement be to complete each game. These will be based off research I do from videos on youtube and what I read around the web. If there is any confusion or you think there should be a different requirement, please comment and we will figure it out.

3-D Tetris    (Complete Puzzle Mode to see the credits.)

Galatic Pinball    (Get 50 million points on any table to see the credits.)

Golf    (Complete Tournament?)

Jack Bros.    (Complete the game.)

Mario Clash    (Max out the score (999,999) and complete a stage to get a "You Win!" screen.)

Mario's Tennis ​   (Complete Either Singles or Doubles Tournament Mode on Hard or Super Hard to see the credits.)

Nester's Funky Bowling    (Beat the Highscore on the League Leaders Score List, 263.)

Panic Bomber    (Beat the game on Normal or Hard)

Red Alarm    (Complete the game.)

Teleroboxer    (Beat all 7 opponets without losing (7-0 record) to fight the champ and beat him to see the credits.)

Vertical Force    (Complete the game.)

Virtual Boy Wario Land ​   (Complete the game.)

Virtual League Baseball    (Complete Pennet Race???)

Waterworld    (Play until you get a Game Over.)

Other BS and random info:

- I honestly do not know how often I will update this but I plan to look at this thread at least once a month. That sounds low but we've only had low participation so far. If someone thinks I'm slacking, I give anyone permission to edit this thread/post/whatever and put in the appropiate info for unbeaten/beaten games.

​Thanks for reading! Now lets play some VB!

-------------------------
Check out some awesome VG Metal music at my band's page (free music download!)
https://redfalconband.bandcamp.co...

Edited: 03/02/2017 at 12:02 AM by DOPLIC

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:27:47 AM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Cool! I just got a working Virtual Boy and I have the majority of the library, so I'd like to tackle a couple of these, especially Mario's Tennis.

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 01:27 AM by bronzeshield

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:35:39 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Funny that someone who wants to avoid headaches would endorse the Virtual Boy, OP  

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:50:40 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Already did Mario's Tennis. I like doubles, tournament, normal difficulty and 1 set. Sorry for the poor quality pics, the VB looks a million times better in person.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:52:04 AM
NESking80 (15)
(Chris aka inspector Callahan ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Guntz

Already did Mario's Tennis. I like doubles, tournament, normal difficulty and 1 set. Sorry for the poor quality pics, the VB looks a million times better in person.

Damn, just looking at those pictures makes my eyes hurt

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:00:36 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
The Virtual Boy photographs very badly. In person, the pixels are incredibly crisp and clear, the red is soft and not harsh at all. I can play it for hours just fine. Pics were taken with an iPhone 4S.

The only VB games I have from the list are Mario's Tennis, Mario Clash, VB Wario Land, Galactic Pinball, Red Alarm, Teleroboxer, Vertical Force (JPN version) and Virtual League Baseball. Maybe some day I'll get more games.

If we finish the US retail library early, will Japanese games be added? The exclusives are:

Insmouse No Yakata
SD Gundam Dimension War
Space Invaders Virtual Collection
Space Squash
V-Tetris
Virtual Bowling
Virtual Fishing
Virtual Lab

One more thing, since the library is so small, what if the goal was also to see who can beat the most games? On top of just finishing them all.

Curiously, of the games I own, I really only suck at Teleroboxer and Mario Clash. I'm ok at Mike Tyson's Punch Out, but Teleroboxer is really hard with two independent fists. Mario Clash is hard because it's so tough judging where to stand when throwing shells into the foreground or background.

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 02:09 AM by Guntz

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:09:51 AM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
It took us like 6 months last year to get one game complete. Nice to see we got one clear on the board in only 2 days, haha.

I'd like to take a crack at Panic Bomber, I'll try to play it soon once I can get myself away from the Steam games I bought from the winter sale.

If anyone is looking for suggestions:

Waterworld - It's an easy beat, just play until you get game over. Nothing special but not terrible. By far the easiest game on the list.

Virtual Boy Wario Land - This is actually a pretty good Wario game. It's definitely worth a playthrough if you like the GB Wario Land games. Took me about 3 hours to get all the treasures and complete the game last year.

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 02:11 AM by DOPLIC

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:14:06 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
VB Wario Land is not just the best game on the console, I think it's one of the best Wario Land games, right up there with the original on Game Boy. That's a game everyone here should play through. Let's get a points system going or something.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:19:38 AM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

The Virtual Boy photographs very badly. In person, the pixels are incredibly crisp and clear, the red is soft and not harsh at all. I can play it for hours just fine. Pics were taken with an iPhone 4S.

The only VB games I have from the list are Mario's Tennis, Mario Clash, VB Wario Land, Galactic Pinball, Red Alarm, Teleroboxer, Vertical Force (JPN version) and Virtual League Baseball. Maybe some day I'll get more games.

If we finish the US retail library early, will Japanese games be added? The exclusives are:

Insmouse No Yakata
SD Gundam Dimension War
Space Invaders Virtual Collection
Space Squash
V-Tetris
Virtual Bowling
Virtual Fishing
Virtual Lab

One more thing, since the library is so small, what if the goal was also to see who can beat the most games? On top of just finishing them all.

Curiously, of the games I own, I really only suck at Teleroboxer and Mario Clash. I'm ok at Mike Tyson's Punch Out, but Teleroboxer is really hard with two independent fists. Mario Clash is hard because it's so tough judging where to stand when throwing shells into the foreground or background.

Well we never made it past 3 game completions in the past so I decided to keep it just US releases right now. If we actually do beat them all then sure, we can add JP releases as well. We can even add unreleased games, which I think they did one year way back. I just want to focus on the US releases for now since we never accomplished it yet.

​Pretty sure Mario Clash is going to be the hardest game. I think we're going to have to consider it beat after beating stage 99 (that's the looping point) and the earliest stage you can start at is around 30 if I remember? I'm terrible at it so that doesn't help either, but it's such an oddball game to begin with like you were mentioning.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:25:43 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
I suck at it too, I was under the impression Mario Clash had an end. The intro scene shows the Clash Tower being taken over by some unknown villains, you'd think there'd be a conclusion to that.

On an unrelated note, for some reason when I see "DOPLIC", I see Doopliss. You know, that enemy in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

I need to play that game again soon...

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:31:27 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I wish I had a Virtual Boy system to take part in this with but the lack of games and high price make it hard for me to justify a purchase. I feel like every year I seriously consider getting one for the hell of it, but then I stop myself because I know myself - I'll be excited about it for a few days, maybe even a few weeks, play the games I have them, put in a drawer and never touch it again or sell it shortly after.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:45:45 AM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
I don't mind playing Waterworld if it's short.
I will give it a try this week.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:00:03 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Galdius

I don't mind playing Waterworld if it's short.
I will give it a try this week.

Sounds good! Just play until you get a game over and report back. It loops forever and all the waves are randomized.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:58:31 PM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
Bad news: I was going to play Waterworld tonight but my VB isn't turning on.
I think I'll have to send it to repair.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:01:42 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Gonna get down on some Vertical Force tonight! Havnt beaten it yet but i also havnt played with it enough!

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:17:04 PM
Jono1874 (22)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
Saw this thread. Was a good excuse to play Wario Land again. I dont think I got the best ending but i sure as hell beat it. Now if you'll all excuse me I'm off to regain my vision.

It's actually really hard to get a good image from one of these things 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jono...

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 06:21 PM by Jono1874

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:27:02 PM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
The Virtual Boy didn't turn on so I downloaded an emulator and played Waterworld there.
The good thing (or bad, depending on your opinion) is that Waterworld wasn't the worst game that I played today.
That honor goes to the Powerpuff Girls game that I played on the N64 for the N64 thread here on NA.
Here is a screenshot I took of Waterworld:

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:30:28 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
That sucks to hear Gladius! You can always emulate if your curious enough!

Looks like we got another clear thanks to Jono. We are hauling! I think I'll try Panic Bomber tonight to get a clear on the board myself.

I'm also going to put up game completion requirements tonight, hopefully soon here once I figure out what we need to do for each game. Time to watch some longplays.

Edit: ​Glad you emulated and got another clear for us Gladius! I'm updating the first post now.

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 06:34 PM by DOPLIC

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:30:44 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Do you store your VB without a cartridge inserted? If not, dust can get in there and cause problems. The Virtual Boy will not power on unless it can detect a cartridge. Also check your AC tap, AC adapter and/or battery pack to make sure all the connections are clean.

Even though Wario Land is finished now, I think I'll do a 100% finish on it just because I love it.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:40:33 PM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil

Do you store your VB without a cartridge inserted? If not, dust can get in there and cause problems. The Virtual Boy will not power on unless it can detect a cartridge. Also check your AC tap, AC adapter and/or battery pack to make sure all the connections are clean.

Even though Wario Land is finished now, I think I'll do a 100% finish on it just because I love it.
I had the Vertical Force cart on the Virtual Boy since the last time I played it (I don't remember when it was). I checked the batteries and put six new ones. I will try cleaning it tomorrow or thursday. I hope it comes back to life soon. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:44:49 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
The battery pack is is highly susceptible to corrosion from leaky batteries, being that it holds six of them at once. It's very possible your battery pack has some oxidation or corrosion going on, give it a look over.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:55:33 PM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
Thanks for your help.
I'm going to take a look tomorrow.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:42:25 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
I added game completion requirements for all the games we have on the list. I couldn't find any good info on Golf or Virtual League Baseball but I just assumed we can do the tourment/season play for each game and consider them beaten.

One thing I noticed was that Mario's Tennis actually has credits if you beat it on hard on either singles or doubles, and a special screen after the credits if you beat it on super hard doubles (need a code to get that special difficulty.) I didn't think it had credits and since I didn't know till now, I will still consider it beat for this thread still.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:27:59 PM
Jono1874 (22)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
Trying to do teleroboxer and this game is kicking my ass hard!

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jono...

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:42:39 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Alright, just took out Panic Bomber.

That was actually pretty disappointing. I didn't get how powerups worked at all, and it felt more luck based than actually making chains. Granted I wasn't making any great chains, but it's kind of hard to get a chain reaction going when they might get a powerup to screw you over completely at any point, so I felt rushed to pump out simple combos and get bombs on the board as fast as possible.

Well that turned me off puzzle games for a bit. I'll try to focus on Galactic Pinball or Red Alarm next.

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 10:51 PM by DOPLIC