Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Replacement N64 labels WTF!!

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:33:11 PM
Swordless Link (61)

(Swordless Link) < Meka Chicken >
United Kingdom
What's hilarious is that the Majora's Mask one is a PAL label, and the GoldenEye one is obviously some kind of mock-up as it has a black T but no player's choice emblem (only the PC version of GoldenEye had a black T, the original run had a white one).

Such a scummy practice though. I hope it gets taken down.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:35:22 PM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Um.... That custom box ISN'T made to look like an original, these labels are. As mentioned, since they look too much like the real thing, who's to say they can't slap some CBFD on a Madden and try to resell?

That custom box shouldn't be reported since there's no way you can mistake it for an original.

To be honest I thought this forum was against that seller. Perhaps I picked the wrong auction then. I should've linked to one of his re-seals that he's passing off as a legit seal. 

Also, say someone does put a Conker label on Madden. Then the person will play Conker, realize it's actually Madden, get there money back, and the seller gets a negative. There's really no point to putting a different label on.

-------------------------

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:36:44 PM
jkenned5 (131)
(Jordan Kennedy) < King Solomon >
Ontario
3 were sold >.< , watch out for 3 fake conkers lol

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:38:40 PM
Wavingflags2 (23)

(Roy Cisneros) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: jkenned5

lol i considered buying a label for one of my messed up games:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/dsc05312fg.jpg/

that is super smash bros, and mario party 1.

but at $4 a piece I can't imagine anyone paying that unless they were planning on passing off fake conkers lol

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:45:32 PM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: cheaterdragon1

Um.... That custom box ISN'T made to look like an original, these labels are. As mentioned, since they look too much like the real thing, who's to say they can't slap some CBFD on a Madden and try to resell?

That custom box shouldn't be reported since there's no way you can mistake it for an original.

To be honest I thought this forum was against that seller. Perhaps I picked the wrong auction then. I should've linked to one of his re-seals that he's passing off as a legit seal. 

Also, say someone does put a Conker label on Madden. Then the person will play Conker, realize it's actually Madden, get there money back, and the seller gets a negative. There's really no point to putting a different label on.

Not if it's a local sale, such as but not limited to: flea market, Craigslist, or garage/yard sale.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:07:45 PM
jkenned5 (131)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Wavingflags2

but at $4 a piece I can't imagine anyone paying that unless they were planning on passing off fake conkers lol

im sure someone on here can do that for u, but change the label a tad so it doesnt look like a near 100% copy

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:08:52 PM
jkenned5 (131)
Ontario
Originally posted by: GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Not if it's a local sale, such as but not limited to: flea market, Craigslist, or garage/yard sale.

agreed, all it takes is some guy on kijiji or CL to sell fake games, and only meets at some random location to spoil things.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:00:33 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida

Originally posted by: GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

agreed, all it takes is some guy on kijiji or CL to sell fake games, and only meets at some random location to spoil things.

^These.

Oh and it bears repeating:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"Well it's only because collectors don't want a game to get circulated with a remade label. If I where buying a game off ebay or wherever, I don't want to unknowingly buy something that isn't authentic. True, you may say you won't let it get circulated by selling it, and even if you don't, there's still a possibility that you may get strapped for cash and have to sell it, something might happen to you or someone might steal it from you... all those things can cause a game with a non-authentic label to get circulated. These carts outlive us, so we gotta think of the future generation collectors as well. :3 Not saying you're a bad person or something will happen to you, but you have to look at both sides here.

I get constantly PMed by various people asking me to make them a 1:1 label and I have to deny their request. It's all ethics man. Yeah I am a graphic artist, and yeah I can make something exactly the same, but why should I?  I'm also a collector too...

If you need a label made, I can make it, but I have to change it around to make it look different than the original so it's not to be confused and mistaken as one. I could also make one with "repro label" or something of the like on it... just something so that collectors know what they're dealing with in case of accidental or deliberate circulation."
^ This is why I don't like exact copies of labels.

Originally posted by: Wavingflags2

Dude, I will buy those in a heartbeat. I can make a label, but I would totally make them way different than retail so that they don't get mixed up with real ones. Different art,  "REPRODUCTION LABEL"  words on it, "unofficial seal", ...  etc. Hell, I think it's fun coming up with my own style of art for the game... Something that nobody has-- my very own label variant!

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Edited: 03/07/2012 at 04:02 AM by BouncekDeLemos

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:48:23 AM
jkenned5 (131)
Ontario
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-N-64-Replacement-Label-Super-...  the dick jst reposted it after ebay took it down!!!!!!!!

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:15:11 AM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Reported the new one

edit:
report it to Nintendo also:
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Edited: 03/07/2012 at 10:20 AM by T3rra

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:55:17 PM
Sinnbox (10)
(Joel sinn) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Reported the new one. I have no problem with this for people with crappy labels, but if someone turned 5 maddens into Conkers, or Starcrafts and filled my local store, I'd be pissed!!

Collection Totals:

NES: 500+
SNES: 300+
N64:124
Dreamcast: 45 - Looking for more

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:32:35 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
Originally posted by: Sinnbox

Reported the new one. I have no problem with this for people with crappy labels, but if someone turned 5 maddens into Conkers, or Starcrafts and filled my local store, I'd be pissed!!

Most game stores, atleast around here test carts before they take them in or allow you to test them before you buy them.

Play n Trade trade in's can take forever if you trade in retro games since they test EVERYTHING before they accept it.

So if you find several madden copies with rare or spendy n64 title lables then that game shop is pulling some shade tree business tactics and should be reported to the BBB.  Doubt that will happen but you never know in this day or age.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:53:32 PM
Infinitelives13601 (0)

(Infinite Lives) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Replacement labels are sketchy, at best. I don't think it sets anyone up to be scammed, but it sure could head in that direction. I don't like it!

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:55:11 PM
Sinnbox (10)
(Joel sinn) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Shinju

Originally posted by: Sinnbox

Most game stores, atleast around here test carts before they take them in or allow you to test them before you buy them.

Play n Trade trade in's can take forever if you trade in retro games since they test EVERYTHING before they accept it.

So if you find several madden copies with rare or spendy n64 title lables then that game shop is pulling some shade tree business tactics and should be reported to the BBB.  Doubt that will happen but you never know in this day or age.

All the stores around here(Fort Wayne) about 13 within a 30 min dirve take games in and either dont test them, or test them after hours.

Collection Totals:

NES: 500+
SNES: 300+
N64:124
Dreamcast: 45 - Looking for more

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:17:52 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
ugh this is terrible. And for those of you who think this is a good idea i feel like slapping you in the head.

scenario>
"der hey tommy, look its an original stadium events cart. Man those thing in mint condition can go for over $2000. Too bad this one has a huge tear through the label. "oh hey, lets just print out a new label for it and its mint again. We can still get over 2k for it!" and the history of the collectible is forever altered and faked.

The condition of a vintage collectible should never be altered. you find some excellent condition items that should get top value because they survived in that condition that long. THATS WHY THEY DESERVE TOP VALUE. Then you find items in poor shape, thats it. it should stop there. No "restoring" or fixing it up. Its not a classic Car! this is ridiculous.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:38:03 PM
youngbimmer (2)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Where is this guy getting the templates for the labels from? They look like they're factory, the prints are really good! Id like to get the original cover art (wherever he's getting them from), mess with some pshop, and make myself a custom label. I've got some games that could use a new label.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:14:52 PM
Thamiel (46)
(Anthony Spencer) < Eggplant Wizard >
Victoria
If he's not using a an offset printer (which he isn't) it'll just be the usual way. Good quality photo paper with a layer of clear packing tape over the top.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:26:47 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida
His auction is still going up... And he's sold 4 already. ): Come on, guys. Please don't buy from this guy and report him. Don't go the douchie route and get labels that are the same as the retail versions. We've all listed reasons why the ones the guy is selling on EBAY is a bad idea.

To reiterate: If y'all need new label art, I can make different art for you so that way they won't be mistaken for retail.. my offer always stands. AND IT'S FREE.

Originally posted by: Parpunk

ugh this is terrible. And for those of you who think this is a good idea i feel like slapping you in the head.

scenario>
"der hey tommy, look its an original stadium events cart. Man those thing in mint condition can go for over $2000. Too bad this one has a huge tear through the label. "oh hey, lets just print out a new label for it and its mint again. We can still get over 2k for it!" and the history of the collectible is forever altered and faked.

The condition of a vintage collectible should never be altered. you find some excellent condition items that should get top value because they survived in that condition that long. THATS WHY THEY DESERVE TOP VALUE. Then you find items in poor shape, thats it. it should stop there. No "restoring" or fixing it up. Its not a classic Car! this is ridiculous.

^Another good point. 

Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:19:37 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
So how do you guys feel about a label where the art/picture is the same but all the identifiers are removed, meaning the nintendo seal, rating, and the red nintendo logo. Would that be considered different enough?

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:24:45 AM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
This site has the biggest discussions about stickers. I understand original paint on a 65 corvette increasing value. Stickers.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:42:02 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

His auction is still going up... And he's sold 4 already. ): Come on, guys. Please don't buy from this guy and report him. Don't go the douchie route and get labels that are the same as the retail versions. We've all listed reasons why the ones the guy is selling on EBAY is a bad idea.

To reiterate: If y'all need new label art, I can make different art for you so that way they won't be mistaken for retail.. my offer always stands. AND IT'S FREE.

scenario>

^Another good point. 

Why is it okay to fix up or restore an old car, yet the same is not okay for an old videogame? I know many artifacts and so forth that restored to some degree, fragments of pottery and the like pieced together.  Old antiques fixed by piecing together a working model from several less-thn-desirable ones, perhaps broken or what not.

I can see and understand both issues of this topic, since I used to be a collector but am now 98% gamer, and 2% collector.  On one hand, collectors do not want to buy fake or restored videogames, thinking that they are factory made (I do have a few pirated copies of Sonic for Famicom if anyone is interested, btw).  This is understandable, and with technology, profit to be made, and will, the quality of counterfeits will increase and there is not much to be done.  Understandable that a collector would not want this.

From the perspective of the casual gamer, however, I see this sort of service as a good thing.  No one (except Paul) wants a crappy looking game, and if I had cartridges like those N64 carts in this thread, I would want replacement labels.  To this a few people have suggested that it would be best to have different labels, or the word repro across them.  Once again, this the way of thinking from the collector standpoint, not that of the regular, casual gamer.  I can guarantee that if I was to replace a label for one of my games, I wouldn't want to have the eyesore words "repro" written across it, and at the same time, I would want it to look as authentic as it could to the original thing.  I am just being honest here, and I think many other casual gamers would feel the same way about it.  So yeah, gotta look from both sides. 

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:42:55 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Double post, sorry.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Edited: 03/09/2012 at 11:43 AM by fcgamer

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:27:35 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: tracker465

scenario>

^Another good point. 

Why is it okay to fix up or restore an old car, yet the same is not okay for an old videogame? I know many artifacts and so forth that restored to some degree, fragments of pottery and the like pieced together.  Old antiques fixed by piecing together a working model from several less-thn-desirable ones, perhaps broken or what not.

I can see and understand both issues of this topic, since I used to be a collector but am now 98% gamer, and 2% collector.  On one hand, collectors do not want to buy fake or restored videogames, thinking that they are factory made (I do have a few pirated copies of Sonic for Famicom if anyone is interested, btw).  This is understandable, and with technology, profit to be made, and will, the quality of counterfeits will increase and there is not much to be done.  Understandable that a collector would not want this.

From the perspective of the casual gamer, however, I see this sort of service as a good thing.  No one (except Paul) wants a crappy looking game, and if I had cartridges like those N64 carts in this thread, I would want replacement labels.  To this a few people have suggested that it would be best to have different labels, or the word repro across them.  Once again, this the way of thinking from the collector standpoint, not that of the regular, casual gamer.  I can guarantee that if I was to replace a label for one of my games, I wouldn't want to have the eyesore words "repro" written across it, and at the same time, I would want it to look as authentic as it could to the original thing.  I am just being honest here, and I think many other casual gamers would feel the same way about it.  So yeah, gotta look from both sides. 

1. The Majority of people that try and pass off a vintage car that has been repainted as an original paint job is slim to none. Its clearly easy to tell if a car has been repainted no way around it. This is in no way the same thing as a video game that can have a swapped label, and from pictures you would never be able to tell. 
2. another thing is people can be scratching off labels of madden and nfl blitz and putting conkers BFD and mario kart labels on them and selling them as untested.... in bundles on ebay and be totally legit. NOT COOL
3. Pottery and ANYTHING (firearms etc) Will always have less value if the original condition is altered/repaired etc. and normally is disclosed if the item is for sale.
4. Ruins the authnticity of a collectible and helps destroy the hobby one fake at a time.

Cars and Video Games ARE NOT in any way on the same level.
If video games sat around rotting away, then maybe i can see your point but they do not. So the only way they can be "saved" is by restoring/maintaining the condition. Games require no upkeep.

I understand your argument as being a gamer not collector.
However if you are honestly just in it for the gaming than you wouldnt care if it had a label at all. Not want to "fix up" your existing one. (thats a collectors instinct )

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:43:01 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
.........stickers.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:17:00 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida

Originally posted by: tracker465

scenario>

^Another good point. 

1. The Majority of people that try and pass off a vintage car that has been repainted as an original paint job is slim to none. Its clearly easy to tell if a car has been repainted no way around it. This is in no way the same thing as a video game that can have a swapped label, and from pictures you would never be able to tell. 
2. another thing is people can be scratching off labels of madden and nfl blitz and putting conkers BFD and mario kart labels on them and selling them as untested.... in bundles on ebay and be totally legit. NOT COOL
3. Pottery and ANYTHING (firearms etc) Will always have less value if the original condition is altered/repaired etc. and normally is disclosed if the item is for sale.
4. Ruins the authnticity of a collectible and helps destroy the hobby one fake at a time.

Cars and Video Games ARE NOT in any way on the same level.
If video games sat around rotting away, then maybe i can see your point but they do not. So the only way they can be "saved" is by restoring/maintaining the condition. Games require no upkeep.

I understand your argument as being a gamer not collector.
However if you are honestly just in it for the gaming than you wouldnt care if it had a label at all. Not want to "fix up" your existing one. (thats a collectors instinct )

That last sentence was EXACTLY what I was thinking. If you're a gamer, the label won't let you "game" any less. Making somthing "look" good is a collector's point of view.

As a collector AND a gamer, I look on both sides more than anything. 50/50 collector/gamer. I have a Sonic the Hedgehog game for Sega Genesis I played until the label wore off. It's a faded mess. But I game the Hell outta it none the less. I also have extra copies that look good that I bought only to display in a collection. I may play them from time to time, but it's mostly display. I like them to look purdy.

You don't have to have the word "REPRO" on it, you can make it just look different than retail. Perhaps even better.

For example:

I made this label. It's art from the Japanese game, yet you can't mistake it for the original. It's my very own personal variant. I even put my initials as the little game code on the bottom. If I want to, I can even make the words "repro" and it won't even look bad at all. I'm not saying I went ahead and done this, in fact I even decided against it. (Image is stock, and I needed money so I'm selling my copy of GL) But it's definitely a lot better than having a strait 1:1 copy.

If anyone has a bad label, send it to Paul for trade on a good copy, OR ask me or one of the art gurus here for different art.

Cant even GIVE the ugly carts away? Don't wanna throw them out? You can even rid your extras in the "Guess the Cart Contests" (See my siggy). I even make personalized art for the winners so they won't end up with crap, but instead a trophy!!!

Again, there should be no excuse why having copied labels are a good idea when we're all explaing why they're not. Morals and ethics kiddies. We're all taught this at a young age.

Edited: 03/09/2012 at 06:24 PM by BouncekDeLemos