Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

To the team behind the XMAS carts

Jan 12 at 2:38:22 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Let me preface by saying I love the XMAS carts, I've been a customer for several of the releases but this past year's is the first time where I haven't felt the urge to buy. During the Christmas season I fired up the multi cart and found that, in my opinion, the games haven't been that great over the past few years. Exclude the pinball year, that's a fun one.

I'm not a programmer so no offense is intended but I feel like the gameplay is pretty bland. There's been threads made where users have thrown out some pretty rockin ideas on what kind of game they'd like to see but it feels like they're totally overlooked and we get a simple game that's fun for five minutes. Personally I'd rather have a rockin fun Christmas game than a novelty item. If these are intended to be a novelty item with a bland game then that's just something to accept.

However I'd like to encourage the people behind the XMAS carts to put more effort into producing a fun game rather than relying on the blinky lights to sell a product that's fun for five minutes.

Jan 12 at 2:43:55 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Something I've noticed people saying a fair bit in the brewing community is this sentiment that nobody is actually PLAYING their Homebrew games. I can't speak to that being a "reason" for what you're talking about as I know nothing of the gameplay on these Xmas carts (I simply don't follow them), but it seems like that might make some sense. Perhaps these carts are seen by those creating them as a novelty rather than the next big Homebrew hit.

It kinda makes sense - anything Xmas themed you generally whip it out on the holiday, ooh and aww at it for a bit, then move on.

-------------------------

Jan 12 at 3:15:14 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Game for 2019 hasn't been started yet, which pretty rockin ideas can be finished in a couple months instead of a couple years?

Jan 12 at 3:23:45 PM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Game for 2019 hasn't been started yet, which pretty rockin ideas can be finished in a couple months instead of a couple years?

If I had programming experience I'd love to tell ya. Maybe hire some help or seek out assistance from the NA community? Surely there's enthusiastic fans that could offer some input.

Jan 12 at 5:27:23 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: Shane

If I had programming experience I'd love to tell ya. Maybe hire some help or seek out assistance from the NA community? Surely there's enthusiastic fans that could offer some input.
Of course, time frame is a big factor in these games in both production and devlopment.  However, despite programming knowledge and despite the timeframe, what games would you want or like to see? You said that there were threads with ideas, post those up if you like them. Make it be known what particular thing you are looking for to help point devs in the right direction.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jan 12 at 5:40:31 PM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Originally posted by: Shane

Of course, time frame is a big factor in these games in both production and devlopment.  However, despite programming knowledge and despite the timeframe, what games would you want or like to see? You said that there were threads with ideas, post those up if you like them. Make it be known what particular thing you are looking for to help point devs in the right direction.

It would be really cool to see a game in the style of 'Daze Before Christmas' or a game that has characters resembling the Grinch or the different characters of the season at the forefront.

I really enjoyed what they did with the SNES Xmas 2011 so it would be cool to see something similar.

Jan 13 at 1:15:15 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
What aboot a game where you play as a snow blower and you scroll down the street and blow every snowman in front of each house? You gain points for ever snowman you blow and snowmen who dont get blown melt away the next day.
The game could have a rockin name that everyone would enjoy like snow job, blow man, or blow job.

Or what aboot a game where you play as a Keebler Elf?

Playas Guide Logo

Jan 13 at 1:20:33 AM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

What aboot a game where you play as a snow blower and you scroll down the street and blow every snowman in front of each house? You gain points for ever snowman you blow and snowmen who dont get blown melt away the next day.
The game could have a rockin name that everyone would enjoy like snow job, blow man, or blow job.

I like your style brother.

I pitched the idea of playing as the Grinch and you're going after Santa. You encounter elves, reindeer and whatever else you can think of as enemies. Eventually you get to the big boss and throw down.

Like I said, something in the light of Daze Before Christmas.

Edited: 01/13/2019 at 01:21 AM by Shane

Jan 13 at 1:33:53 PM
toma (0)
(Tomas Guinan) < Crack Trooper >
Nova Scotia
What about a game where you play as Peter Dinklage beating up Will Ferrell in a boardroom?

http://www.spoonybard.ca

Jan 13 at 1:48:37 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Don't forget laser sharks!

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jan 13 at 8:26:31 PM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Don't forget laser sharks!

I think you need to put out a XMAS cart.

Jan 14 at 1:26:03 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
OK check it out: A game where you're in a house, one player hides, and the other player has to find them... but the players are wearing Santa hats. Some kind of... Hide 'n Yuletide.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Jan 14 at 1:48:11 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I love the Xmas carts and appreciate the work that goes into them. I dont have any ideas for a game but would what about using NES maker to help speed up the process? I wpuld think it would help take care of some things so more time can be focused on other aspects. You can still tweak the underlying code to make it more unique but itll give a baseline maybe. Just spitballing here

Jan 14 at 2:08:06 PM
Only_None (0)
(Dana M) < Tourian Tourist >
Alberta
The NES needs a high quality fireplace log burning simulator.

Jan 14 at 2:13:22 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Only_None

With poker and bellows function.

Jan 14 at 5:20:04 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Only_None

That was 2011s cart.

Playas Guide Logo

Jan 21 at 10:34:31 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

HAHAHAHA.
Boy, it’s chilly out here.
Say I know! let’s go inside and warm up with some coco and my favorite new Christmas game... blow job!

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Jan 23 at 5:46:31 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
I want a full length, minimum 40h RPG on the next Xmas cart. Also, it better have branching story paths, or I am throwing an absolute shit-fit.

But seriously, I see the X-mas games as a bonus, not the main reason to buy the cart. They are put out as a yearly collectable for the NES community. Also, they really seem like bunnyboy's way of flexing his coding and engineering muscle, rather than having deep engrossing game play. He demonstrated ray-tracing this year. Last year's multicart was an engineering marvel. Other marvels included using the power pad for a 6 player game, using 4 different arkanoid controllers (which I never actually got to work properly), or creating a difficult physics engine in 12 seconds of Christmas.

In short, don't like 'em, don't buy 'em.

Jan 23 at 6:37:35 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
(Sean ) < Eggplant Wizard >
District of Columbia
I agree, the X-mas carts do a great job showing off bunnyboy's skill and are wonderful ways for other brewers to be inspired to make their own games; they're not supposed to be the next FF. I love these games and I'm excited for each new entry going forward just because bunnyboy is making them.

That said, if we're spit-balling ideas for the fun of it, maybe a holiday gambling theme, where you're a mall Santa cashing in his paycheck and the goal is to make enough money by the end of a set time limit (determined by difficulty level) to save Christmas for your family. That way you could try your hand at a number of games and go for the high score ($) at different levels (ex. 1hr, 30 min, 10 min).

Jan 23 at 8:58:43 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota

Sounds kind of Paperboy esque in my mind

May the force be with you.

Jan 26 at 11:13:10 AM
kcsims (16)
(Kevin Sims) < Eggplant Wizard >
Louisiana
I would love to see an N64 cart (even if just the lights) just to have another cart system going at Christmas time.

Jan 26 at 2:25:10 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: DarkKobold

using 4 different arkanoid controllers (which I never actually got to work properly), 

You need to modify the 4-score to get 4 vaus controllers working. Or play on AVS. 

Jun 15 at 8:32:29 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
The cart is a microcosm of the Xmas experience- you get something shiny and new and amazing, you play for five minutes, and then don't touch it for the rest of the year, and after a decade or so you find out it's worth a heck of a lot of money on eBay.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.