Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Retro Duo Portable, anybody try one? I'm thinking of scooping one up, any info?

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:25:26 AM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a Retro Duo Portable, anybody try one? Good? Bad?

Anyone have one for sale?

http://retroduoportable.com/...

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:34:48 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I know people with them, and it's universally hated. The build quality is very flimsy. They glue the speakers into place on the inside and often they will fall off inside and rattle around, also they're not so loud. The tv out cable is garbage and degrades the quality of the feed to the tv so it would need a Radio Shack replacement. The XYAB buttons are a good size but they're oddly spaced out into a horizontal diamond which will take getting used to. The system upside though is the fact it can run Street Fighter Alpha 2 which Supaboy can't. It like Supaboy also has the same d-pad issue where it can register too many button presses at once causing weirdness in play. The other benefit is the free NES adapter but the compatibility on it is poor compared to their stand alone NES clone.

Look around at posts based on this and Supaboy.  I've been flipping and flopping for months on getting a unit and eventually settled against this due to the horrible build quality, the even more common dpad sensory issue than Supaboy has, and the failed tv out cable along with the free NES convertor not working well so I got the Supaboy due to the upgrade it got in July as its original release was notably poorer.

Edited: 08/29/2012 at 02:36 AM by Tanooki

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:52:05 AM
BL4CKV4LOR (4)
(Rick M) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
This looks awful and I would avoid like the plague. You're better off investing in a Supaboy v2 and FC Mobile II both separately.