Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Svankmajer's Nostalgia Run Beat 48 childhood NES games (48/48)

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:14:33 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Game 47 out of 48 beaten

River City Ransom (1989)

Where did I play it?
When I was in filmschool in 2008 I played it a whole Saturday with a buddy and classmate there who had bought it on Nintendo Wii. I’m not sure I ever played it before that or how we started playing it. It looks like Nintendo World Cup, a game I owned as a child, but this plays like a beat’em up game. 

Did I beat it?
Yes, we actually spent the time to beat it. I think it must have been a long Saturday. I remember it was exhausting beating it one sitting. I still remember it as a great game. Especially for a 2 player game. 

Its really about rescuing a girlfriend of the protagonist from gangmembers. You have to fight quite a few bosses, and then there's a final boss at the end. Its a bit different because you have to eat and go to a sauna at several parts of the cities he game to increase stats. There's special moves to be bought and several weapons to use. 

Later experiences: 
I kind of wanted to wait so I could have the friend come and play it with me, as he already helped beating Bubble Bobble and Double Dragon 2 with me for the run. Him living in another country at the time made it kind of tricky to arrange, but I got him over finally. Sadly things happened, and he only had time to stay one day. We started playing River City Ransom and it was fun playing at again, we got perhaps 1/3 in, but we didn’t find enough time to actually beat it. A little bit bitter, but fine.

So I ended up just playing the game for myself.

As a challenge I played the game on the Advanced Mode and not Easy Mode. (Its quite possible we played it on Easy in 2008.) I beat it in a couple of days, and while I normally keep myself from not playing too much in a day(I consider gaming just a side-hobby and I never sit all day playing a game), but this time I spent quite a few hours. I couldn’t put it down. I kind of dislike the game for being too addictive, but from a gamedesign perspective thats probably a compliment. Its me too. I get OCD when it comes to grinding and buying everything, doing everything. Just like in 2008 I was also quite exhausted playing it.

I leveled up maximum on absolutely everything before going to final bosses. You don’t need to do that at all. I was a bit overpowered but I still managed to die a few times. I may not be an expert at these type of games.

The game is a bit unique. Mixing rpg and beat’em up is at least something I hadn’t heard of before. Its a pretty game. Not much more to say. 

Difficulty: 
6/10 on Advanced Mode / 3/10 on Easy Mode.

-------------------------

?What are the weirdest games on NES? - What are the weirdest games on SNES
Game Boy Run: 24/40 - Nintendo NES Run: 48/48
Latest game beaten: Skate Or Die: Bad 'N Rad (1990)

Edited: 04/08/2018 at 03:20 PM by Svankmajer

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:31:16 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
I finally got the last review of out the way before the last game of my Nostalgia Run.... Lolo 3. I've been going through all the Lolo games in order for a long time now.

I'm currently at Level 13 in Lolo 3. The first two Lolo games ended at around Level 11, but Lolo 3 is twice as long. Its going to be a bit weird and melancholic to finally ending this project. Its been many years with on and off playing.

I suspect the last chunk of Lolo 3 will keep me playing for some time to come still though, as the the other two Lolo games had their hardest levels at the end. Was stuck at one room 9-4 for over a week, and that was very depressing, and I worried I'd struggle just as much on later rooms, but the last few days I've had a lot of progress.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:28:53 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Game 48 out of 48 beaten

Adventure Of Lolo 3 (1990)

Where did I play it?
There was this friend of a friend that owned it. Lived in a street next to mine. I never played the two first Lolo games, only the third one, although remember seeing it in Nintendo magazines. It looked different -- and it was different from most Nintendo games. 

Did I beat it as a child: 
Not close. I only remember barely playing it. Its POSSIBLE I borrowed it a some days, but that couldn’t have been long. If at all. I probably beat the few first rooms or something, or saw the guy who owned it show off beating a few levels. I didn’t play it much. It was however very memorable. I never forgot it. It looked so good for its time and it was very unique. I also remember it being hyped in the Nintendo Magazines a lot. Lolo was almost like semi-mascot for Nintendo, just on the row behind Mario and Zelda. The game seemed a bit 'adult' in the sense that it was a bit quite complex for children, still I presume I would have had fun had I owned this game as a child. Actually, if there’s one game I would bring back in time to give myself as a kid its possibly this though, because this is mindexpanding stuff. Beating some of the harder levels in a Lolo game is like is quite the braingymnastic session! 

Later experiences: 
Since this was the VERY last game in my Nostalgia Run for NES, and I wanted to go the extra mile, so I thought I’d beat Lolo 1 and Lolo 2 before going on to Lolo 3, despite I never played the two first before. The rumour on the street was that Lolo 3 was extremely hard, and also a big game, so I saved it for last. I can confirm the games are hard, at least when you get past the initial levels. This is not a game you’re supposed to beat in a single afternoon. If you beat a room or two every day that can be quite enough as a playing session. At least it was for me.  

The Adventure Of Lolo 1 was my first introduction to the series, and I fell in love with the game pretty quickly. Its a genius concept actually. Its not another platformer, its something on its own. Storywise its not very interesting perhaps, basically its about Lolo who has to rescue his girlfriend Lala from the evil King Egger. A very basic trope-story perhaps, but the creatures looks cute, so there's that. Its fine. The substance of the game is the puzzles is where Lolo shines -- and its a perfect mix of fun and challenge: 

The Lolo games are all based on this formula. 

* In every room have to collect a pearl from a chest to be able to enter the next room. 
* To open the chest you have to collect all the hearts in the room. 
* If you manage to collect all the hearts the chest opens and every enemy disappears and you can enter to the next room. 
* Every level has around 5 rooms. The whole game has 11 Levels. (Some variation on this in the last Lolo game though!)

It sounds simple enough in theory, but every room is a very thought-out puzzle with a bunch of enemies, where you move blocks and other obstacles to get to your goal, and you also have limited ammo. There’s always only 1 way to solve the room, and you have to experiment a lot to see what works and what doesn't work. Its surprisingly fun. It starts off pretty easy, but gradually the complexity increases more and more. The later levels really is a test in endurance, patience and to fry your mind to solve the puzzles. 

Its incredible how simple yet complex the Lolo games are. It looks so simple, but the depths in the design and in the levels is almost endlessly complex. Its a genius concept and perhaps they are shaping to be my favorite games for the system. Its not just the games in themselves, but its even more so the thoughts and effort put into the levels. The people behind them must have austistic geniuses with all focus in their lives on these levels. At least thats what I pictured playing the game. When I finally understand how to solve a level, and how incredibly elaborate the solution is, I can’t help but wonder how it must have been actually designing them. I almost can't picture it. The real value in Lolo definitely is the level designs. 

(My sister reminded me there was a game for Macintosh in the 90s called Blobbo that was very similar. Thats also a very fun game.) 

After beating Lolo 1 I went on to the next one: The Adventure Of Lolo 2. This game is in many ways the exact same game as Lolo 1, but a variations of levels. Everything else is the same. It didn’t bother me though, because Lolo 1 was so much fun I didn’t mind more of the same. Storywise its the same too. Lala has been kidnapped be King Egger, and you have to rescue her by running through the rooms collecting pearls. Some very small updated sprites on some of the enemies from Lolo 1, but I didn’t notice any difference at all beyond that. Well, there is one difference. Lolo 2 is harder. The end levels of Lolo 1 made me sweat a little bit, but the same level of difficulty starts in Lolo 2 just half way in and gets more and more difficult from there on. The bossbattle with King Egger was also different. In Lolo 1 we only saw a cutscene which was more of a joke, while in Lolo 2 there actually is a bossbattle.

Once again the level design is very impressive. Perhaps even more impressive than in Lolo 1.
I’m proud to say I didn’t use walkthrough on any levels on Lolo 1, but on Lolo 2 I had to use it twice. 

So to the main event. Preparing for Lolo 3 had been quite fun, but now I was set out to the finale. The last game in the series, and not least, the last game in this nostalgia run.  

The Adventures Of Lolo 3 is a much more ambitious release fram HAL, and it kind of makes up for Lolo 2 just being «The Expansion Set Levels of Lolo 1», and its a much more epic game in most regards. Well, um, the main gameplay is actually basically the same, but, hey -- why fix what isn’t broken? Fine, they could have included a lot more new features in the gameplay, but I didn’t think about that before writing this. They included one new enemy, the whales, called Moby's. They also have the crumbling bridge and a couple of other minor things.

There’s an overworld. It feels a bit like Super Mario World or something like that, where you move around on a grid, and can choose which building to enter. In the earlier games you never saw the buildings you were inside, just the floors. This was a very nice little touch. 

There’s also tutorial levels where an old-grandfather-Lolo teaches you some game mehcanic. Not needed at all if you played the previous games, but quite neat either way. There’s last but not least frequently boss fights now. Last level on Lolo 2 included a bossfight with the King Egger, but in Lolo 3 you’ll see a variation of boss fights on most levels. Its typically just larger versions of the smaller enemies, like the snakes, the medusas and so on. The boss fights are perhaps not very challenging, they're often very easy to beat, but they serve as a welcoming breather in a game thats more about strategy than reflexes. They're quite easy, but still fun. 

The most interesting part storywise is you don’t have the goal to rescue Lala this time, and you can choose to play as her as a playable character as both Lolo and Lala tags along the world. Unfortunately, she plays exactly the same way as Lolo, but its still a nice feature and another thing that sets it apart from the two previous games. Lolo 3 is also TWICE as large as both of the other games when it comes to the amount of levels, and this is presented with a false ending half-way through the game. So when the player thinks he might have beaten the game, in reality the real challenge has just started. (Not least because the second part of the game includes some really really hardcore puzzles.) There's also a twist that the character you're playing will be kidnapped by King Egger, so you'll have to use the remaining character to rescue Lolo or Lala depending on the one you used. So if you used Lolo you'll be forced to use Lala in the last part of the game. (I used Lala for the most part, so she ended up being kidnapped, so I got the traditional run of using Lolo in the second half of the game to rescue Lala.)

For anyone who has played these games you know it can be quite a challenge. Its sometimes very easy to give up, because sitting down with the same level every day if you’re completely out of ideas can be extremely tedious and even depressing. Although on the plus side its a huge relief when you figure out a room you’ve been struggling with forever. Few things top the experience of figuring out a level that has been bugging you for days. Luckily for me having both Lolo 1 and Lolo 2 behind me the first half of Lolo 3 wasn’t very problematic. After that I have to admit there was many puzzles that proved to be daunting. The difficulty goes up from there on, although I have to admit the ordering of the difficulty could seem uneven. Sometimes a near impossible level would be followed by a sequence of easy ones. No rhyme or reason. Its possible certain puzzles are more difficult for others though. 

My goal was to not use a walkthrough once. I really insisted I would take my time instead.  
I ended up using walkthrough twice still. First 9-4 appeared. That means Level 9 Room 4. 

I think I struggled for almost a week on this level. I couldn’t see a single way through it. I was just madly stuck. I thought something was wrong with it actually. The room seemed simple enough to figure out, I knew what to do to finish the room, but it just seemed like I missed one block to do what I needed to do. I exhausted every possible way and tried out a million ideas, found all kind of strange strategies, but to no avail. I almost sweared it was impossible at one point. Watching a 41 second walkthrough on youtube I first felt like «Hey, thats what I’ve been doing all the time. This is bullshit! How did it work for his player!». The solution was not something I hadn't seen. You had to do a quick pick up of a heart before blocking the first demon in. It was so quick and something my mind hadn’t registrered you could do. The game had found a blindspot in my brain. It was disappointing for my inflated Lolo ego, but there it was: My first failure. 

Then there’s the infamous Room 15-5. 

15-5 was the second room I had to use walkthrough on. I hated this room so much. Kind of the same deal as with 9-4. I felt like I had exhausted everything so many times, and thought I had it figured out, but one small block seemed to be missing, and I couldn't figure it out. After over a week of on and off playing I gave up. I was quite depressed just sitting down with the level. It didn't help that other things going in my life made it difficult to concentrate. I finally gave in and looked online at what you were supposed to do. When I saw the answer it felt like I had been lazy and not exhausted the order of the process as much as I should have had. Its too bad. That was the second room I had to use a walkthrough on. I now feared I was getting lazy. Another problem: At this point I also realized I had been playing the Lolo games for 4 months and I was growing very exhaused by Lolo. I still had at least many many rooms. I took a break for a couple of weeks.

Then I came back with a fresher mind. I remember being stuck forever on an early room on Level 16 as well for a while, but I figured it out. When I finally got to Level 17, the LAST LEVEL, it was exciting, but I expected the final rooms to be puzzles that would kick my ass completely. Luckily no, the rooms were challenging, sure, but I beat a room or two almost every day. None of the rooms were as difficult as some of the earlier ones from my point of view. I eventually met the Final Boss, and he was as expected not super tough. None of the bosses in the game is tough, but there’s some that had more challenging and unpredictable patterns than King Egger. It was almost like a dessert beating him to a pulp. 

It took me 3 months and 3 weeks to beat it as clean as I could. I remember using a couple of weeks on Mutant Virus and a whole month on beating Battletoads so this is by that definition the toughest NES game I've played. At least in sense of time. Combining Lolo 1+2 I've been playing Lolo for almost half a year. Lolo 3 is a very hard game, especially if you’re as stubborn as me and refuse to use walkthroughs. Unless you’re some kind mad genius you’ll struggle quite a lot. Still I couldn't recommend it enough. 

Either way,  I have to conclude The Adventures Of Lolo 3 is superb game from a superb series. A very worthy finish to my run too, because it was probably the game I put more time and effort into. I'd like to pick up the Game Boy version of Lolo too. I heard its easier than the NES games. I wouldn't mind. (Although my mind needs a break from Lolo for a little while now.)

Difficulty: 
10/10

Thanks! This concludes the Nostalgia NES Run!

Edited: 07/08/2018 at 09:06 PM by Svankmajer

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:50:09 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Very nicely done, and great read! I've beaten Lolo 1 more times than I could count, I've beaten Lolo 2 a few times, and I beat Lolo 3 just once. I'm excited to go play them again someday.

If ever you want more Lolo, check out the Famicom games. Famicom Lolo 1 is a harder version of NES Lolo 2, and Famicom Lolo 2 is a harder version of NES Lolo 3, both with entirely new levels. I've played a good part of Famicom Lolo 1 but haven't played much of the second. You could also check out the Eggerland games on Famicom and FDS. I beat Eggerland: Meikyuu no Fukkatsu a few years ago, that game is really something. You can walk from room to room, sometimes you can't solve a level unless you approach it from a different entrance. The NES Lolo games pulled some levels out of this game, so there are a few repeats, but not too many. It has more rooms than Lolo 3, and some of them are nasty. I played it off and on and it took me four months to beat that game. I remember I was stuck on just one level for over a month by itself. You would need a translation or walkthrough for some of the text in the game that points you in the right direction. There are also some rooms in the game that require a special one-off trick to solve them that's unique to just that one room in the whole game. I had to look up a hint on the first one I came across as I had no idea what the game wanted, but other than some translations in a walkthrough I didn't have to look up any other solutions. I'm betting that Eggerland game is harder than Lolo 3.

Buy anyway, again, nicely done and congrats on finishing your nostalgia run!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:56:21 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Thank you, Mr. Arnpoly. Its a more humble project than yours truly of course, but it was fun and a little bit of an accomplishment. There's many games in the NES library that would scare me too much to ever attempt to finish them all. Especially those games like "Might and Magic Book One" I'm not sure I could even handle. 

I might do a similar project for Game Boy games. I'll mainly play NES games for the "Can NA Beat Every NES Game In A Year"-thread from now on.

Someone else notified my about the Eggerland games too. Good tips and info, although at this point I've had my dosage of Lolo for a little while. :-)
It was a lot playing them all in sequence without using walkthroughs. Especially Lolo 3 was huge. Perhaps at some later point I'll check them out, but I'd have to get a Famicom.
I do kind of want to check out Lolo 1 for Game Boy though, if only because I heard its quite easy.

Edited: 07/13/2018 at 05:57 PM by Svankmajer