Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Blades of Steel Contest ends Sunday, 10/19/14 at 11 PM NA time

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:33:09 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests.  This week's game is Blades of Steel.  Here are the rules:

• 1 player only
  • Play Exhibition mode
  • Play on College difficulty
  • Choose whichever team you want
  • Play against whichever team you want
  • Play a whole game
  • Score as many goals as possible
  • In the event two or more people tie with the same number of goals scored (ex. 24), the bigger margin of victory takes precedence (ex. a 24-1 score takes precedence over a 24-5 score)
  • Take your picture when the game is complete.  Be quick since it doesn't stay up long
  • Most goals scored in a game wins
  • GENRE: Sports

The contest ends Sunday, 10/19/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 10/20/2014 at 12:17 AM by bimmy_lee

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:06:28 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Edit: 47-1. Holy Shitballs! 40 goals is possible. After scoring 17 in the 1st period and 13 in the second, I knew I could top 40 goals. The key, as I mentioned earlier, is winning faceoffs and not wasting anytime trying to score. 1st period need to score alot of goals by passing it to the left wing at the bottom and avoid fighting. I think I'm done acutally this week 'cause I've been playing everyday for a few hours a night. This was one of my favorite games growing up and got alot of play and this is by far a personal best for me (my previous score was 38-2).  I went against Vancover since they have good shooting but not as aggressive as Montreal. However, be careful during the 2nd period as the computer ramps up. I won at least 95% of the faceoffs and was able to only get into 3 fights.

Edited: 10/16/2014 at 04:04 PM by Caleb47

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:24:40 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
R.i.p. to da thumbs!! Worst thumb ache game ever Love this game although i have never been much of a goal scorer in this game

I always took pride in the shut out but hope to post a decent score!

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:00:12 PM
dukeofhurl99 (1)

< Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
I won't be a front runner here but atleast I'm finally going to be able to submit a score for one of these. I'll start tomorrow night. Ok managed to get a pic sorry if it's sideways or big.  Ok I can't get my image uploaded I keep getting some other image from the website.  I may need help if anyone is willing.  Maybe I can forward my image to an admin's email.

Edited: 10/13/2014 at 10:21 PM by dukeofhurl99

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:07:16 PM
Beliskner (1)
< Kraid Killer >
Germany
I find this game to be extremely frustrating. I can score five goals in five minutes only to have a draught for the next ten minutes. 18 was the best I could do so far but I'm sure 40 is possible although pretty hard.

Looking for a copy of Sega Rally on the N-Gage

Playstation 3 Collection: 999/1???
Philips Videopac Collection: 67/69
Nintendo 64 European (not PAL!) Collection: C 239/239 - I 126/239 - B 94/239
Sega Master System PAL Collection (CB): 166/269
Sega Dreamcast PAL Collection: 52/216

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:25:12 PM
Caleb47 (48)
Maryland
yeah, 40 is possible actually. If you time it just right on the face offs and pass it to the left wing, the goalie is defending the upper part of the goal so just shoot once you get past the blue line, shoot the puck. It should go in or at least the goalie deflects and goes in. But the key is getting the faceoffs. And, try to avoid fighting since it eats a part of the clock when you first lockup.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:09:08 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Caleb47

yeah, 40 is possible actually. If you time it just right on the face offs and pass it to the left wing, the goalie is defending the upper part of the goal so just shoot once you get past the blue line, shoot the puck. It should go in or at least the goalie deflects and goes in. But the key is getting the faceoffs. And, try to avoid fighting since it eats a part of the clock when you first lockup.

I guess I'll have to try out your advice and avoid the fighting. My first game I scored 9 goals and lost the game in a penalty shoot out. I'm pretty sure I had more fights than goals.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:16:51 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Damn it!

I'll post a pic this week if it kills me.
Love this game and have been sorely missing participating in the contests. (Gotta make playoffs!)

Been watching everyone each week still.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Oct 14, 2014 at 4:44:01 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Damn it!

Love this game and have been sorely missing participating in the contests. (Gotta make playoffs!)

Good to see you back Santa!

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:13:01 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

Damn it!

Thanks CLAYB1RD!

Whether this is dickies, or not - I view the really good gamers around here like NA athletes.
I know it doesn't translate exactly, but there are collectors (like myself) that probably don't play as much as I'd like to. 
Then there are the collector/gamer hybrids that typically will post scores for fun. Trying out games they just picked up, or haven't tried that game on the shelf yet.

Finally, there are the "gamers." While gamers can certainly be a collector - or a hybrid mix, I define these participants by their skill level.
Competitive gamers with the skill to post in the upper echelon (to me) are gamers first.

After participating the first few weeks the best I could muster - the skill level of some players around here are amazing. You being one of them Clay.

I also like seeing the Elite players protecting their area of expertise each week to. (that's kind if where the Naughty List came from). 
Sometimes there are surprises, but most of the time one of the Elite gamers protect their grasp on their genre. Trying to beat some of you guys and girls is like a real life boss battle!

Can't wait to see if anyone can post a mythical 40 goal effort this week.

bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:03:32 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
BLADES OF STEEL PROTIP:

Always power cycle your NES between games so you can play Gradius during intermission!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:41:17 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
North Carolina

Damn it!

Thanks CLAYB1RD!

Whether this is dickies, or not - I view the really good gamers around here like NA athletes.
I know it doesn't translate exactly, but there are collectors (like myself) that probably don't play as much as I'd like to. 
Then there are the collector/gamer hybrids that typically will post scores for fun. Trying out games they just picked up, or haven't tried that game on the shelf yet.

Finally, there are the "gamers." While gamers can certainly be a collector - or a hybrid mix, I define these participants by their skill level.
Competitive gamers with the skill to post in the upper echelon (to me) are gamers first.

After participating the first few weeks the best I could muster - the skill level of some players around here are amazing. You being one of them Clay.

I also like seeing the Elite players protecting their area of expertise each week to. (that's kind if where the Naughty List came from). 
Sometimes there are surprises, but most of the time one of the Elite gamers protect their grasp on their genre. Trying to beat some of you guys and girls is like a real life boss battle!

Can't wait to see if anyone can post a mythical 40 goal effort this week.

Even if you don't play as much as you would like, you're a great competitor Santa!

My backlog goes on forever which is one of the reasons I love these weekly contests. They really give me an awesome reason to try out new games or re-visit some classics and takes them to a whole new level by trying to put up a ridiculously high score (or low score) against a group of skillful players.

Looking forward to a great score from you, Santa, as well as another Naughty List if we are lucky haha

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:43:52 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: arnpoly

BLADES OF STEEL PROTIP:

Always power cycle your NES between games so you can play Gradius during intermission!

I can never pass up the opportunity to play that after the 2nd period haha

Very clever way of Konami to advertise their other games in my opinion

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:47:42 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I'm in again this week. I skipped last week on purpose. I found my missing cartridge of Phantasy Star and I had to try to beat the game I started years ago

I really like playing sports games in the contests since I've played next to none otherwise for the NES. This is a great way for me to try them out. As well, they seem to bring new participants into the contests or at least ones who don't participate usually either.

Also, great to see you back again Santa and I hope others who haven't been participating lately come back too. It's a pleasure to compete with you all.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:10:14 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
10 - 6.

Sadly, just a participation point this time.
I'm hoping when October is over, they'll be a bit more time for the contests.
Good Luck everyone trying to hit 40 goals this week!

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:54:30 AM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
I know the feeling Santa, this month has been crazy for me too. Haven't been able to post up a score in a couple weeks. Hopefully I'll get one this week.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:39:38 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

20 - 4

I gotta say that I didn't think I'd be able to score much more than 10 so I'm happy with where I'm at so far.  I don't think I'm going to be a player in the 40 goal department but I think 25-30 is possible.

Also, I thought it might be fun to log my attempts this week:
1st = 10 - 4
2nd = 20 - 4
3rd = 14 - 6
4th = 13 - 6
5th = 11 - 5 (this is where I think my 20 goal game was an outlier)

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Edited: 10/16/2014 at 09:08 AM by arnpoly

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:35:43 PM
Caleb47 (48)
Maryland
I didn't quite time the clock exact but I think it's 20 minute periods not real time so you have 12 minute periods (my fuzzy math could be way off actually). For a perfect goal each time, it takes about 15 game time seconds to score (maybe a few seconds less) That's of course, winning the faceoff, avoiding all defenders, and shooting right after the blue line. So, yeah, its possible to score 40 if not even more. But, my figures could be WAY off since I was just going off playing the game so flippin' much back in the day.

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:57:40 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
North Carolina

I didn't quite time the clock exact but I think it's 20 minute periods not real time so you have 12 minute periods (my fuzzy math could be way off actually). For a perfect goal each time, it takes about 15 game time seconds to score (maybe a few seconds less) That's of course, winning the faceoff, avoiding all defenders, and shooting right after the blue line. So, yeah, its possible to score 40 if not even more. But, my figures could be WAY off since I was just going off playing the game so flippin' much back in the day.

Your strategy only takes 15 game time seconds? Crazy.

The one I was using takes me about 27-33 game time seconds and I thought that was good haha

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:18:50 PM
Caleb47 (48)
Maryland

Your strategy only takes 15 game time seconds? Crazy.

The one I was using takes me about 27-33 game time seconds and I thought that was good haha

Yeah, I know it seems crazy but I checked the clock when I had perfect timing at the end of the goal the gameclock was at 19:45. It's quite possible to do it but man, your fingers will pay for it come 3rd period.

Edited: 10/15/2014 at 09:19 PM by Caleb47

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:06:19 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
North Carolina
Yeah I've been finding that my 1st period is decent and then my 2nd period is amazing followed by me choking hard during the 3rd period

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:04:55 PM
Caleb47 (48)
Maryland
updated my score. I need a break after that run. My hands were sweating by the middle of the 3rd period.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:17:46 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
I suck at this game and I can't stand this game. See ya next week.

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:26:10 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

I suck at this game and I can't stand this game. See ya next week.
No shit.

I feel worse about this game than I did the week we played Tecmo Bowl. (where I at least know the rules to football, despite having never previously played a football video game)

And at least when we played RBI Baseball I could sort of figure out the pitching and homeruns.

But ice hockey... the one attempt I've had so far feels like fruitless button mashing :/

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:31:26 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
North Carolina

updated my score. I need a break after that run. My hands were sweating by the middle of the 3rd period.

Impressive score man! Not sure if I can take that one down haha but I'll put in some more time and give it my best shot