NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

zelda oot GameCube vs n64 any real difference

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:23:40 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Hey guys!

Just wanted to ask you guys which version is better if any. I played and beaten the n64 a hundred times. Wanted the GameCube version for the ease of access as my GC is always hooked up.

Are there any differences? I'm looking at the promotional disk not the masterquest disk.

Thanks so much Joe

-------------------------
gamevaluenow

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:14:32 PM
Danimal Collective (50)
(Dan imal) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I never liked the button lay out on the GC controller for Ocarina of Time. You can tell that the game wasn't made for that controller. That's the thing about N64 games, the controller is so unique that you can tell all of the first party Nintendo games developed for the system were made to work harmoniously with the odd controller design so it doesn't transfer to other layouts very well (the classic controller on the Wii is the best example of "culture shock" in terms of how odd N64 games feel).

As far as I know, that's the only major obvious difference. I've beat the GC version (I got the pre-order bonus version you got with Wind Waker) but never played it again because Wind Waker came out by that time and I never went back to it after I was done with Wind Waker. I didn't notice any major differences. It's the latest build of the game (censored Islamic chants in the Fire Temple, no Epona glitch, green Ganondorf blood (instead of red),  ect.). The Scarecrow Song doesn't play over the credits, unfortunately. The Gerudo symbol is changed to look less Islamic from the last 64 version. Other than that, there's really no big differences between the GC version and the last version released on the N64.

Edited: 10/11/2014 at 01:16 PM by Danimal Collective

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:34:42 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
Depends on what you're used to:

GCN differences (from memory)

-It's censored just like later N64 releases, therefore Ganon pukes Green blood and the Fire Temple BGM has been bowdlerized. Same with the Gerudo Symbol
-Some exploitable glitches have been patched. (So I guess no glitched out speed running)
-It's disc media so there is some minor loading time, not really noticeable, but you'll see a loading bar instead of the N64 logo.
-Copyright date now has 2003 after 1998
-If its the one that came with pre-orders of WW you'll get an option to play "Master Quest"
-Its emulated at a higher resolution, not all that much different in my opinion, then again I never played it at 480p, so maybe it does make a difference?
-The "Stone of Agony" Now depends on whether you enable the force feedback on your controller. Wavebirds need not apply.
-The Hud has buttons that match the GCN, so instead of green and blue, its red and green for the "B" and "A" buttons
-Naturally when the button icons appear in text they reflect the same colors.

That's all I can recall. As far as I know the pre-order WW bonus Disc, Collector's Edition Disc, and Virtual Console versions are all identical.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:44:27 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
The most important difference is one runs on real hardware, the other is emulated.

There's also this:

http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zel...

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:00:23 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
The water temple boss in the GCN version has a different texture than the water temple boss in the N64 version. Not a big change, but a change nonetheless.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:03:17 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
That change was a side effect from the emulation. Even Nintendo's N64 emulation isn't completely accurate.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:48:24 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/oot...

On the N64 system, Morpha's ball is rendered in a aqua-blue & red color with a distinct pattern. On GCN/VC Morpha's ball is white & red with a completely different pattern. This is a graphical rendering difference most likely due to an unsupported shader graphic, NOT an edit to the game (if you play any version of the game on emulator Morpha's ball will be white & red). In the re-textured 3DS version the ball continues to use the white & red color scheme.

I prefer the original texture myself, the other one just doesn't seem to fit for a boss, even if it was just due to an unsupported shader graphic.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?