Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Wireless Controller?

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:43:23 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Light blinks on and off steadily as it charges. I have a four port RadioShack brand USB wallwart I use for my 8-bit-lit [?] block lamp, my AVS, wireless AVS controller, and whatever else I need charged, game related or otherwise. It works flawless, although sometimes my [?] lamp turns on and off when I remove items from the wall wart. Really any generic USB wallwart will do. You'll need a mini USB cable end, not a micro.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 09/03/2017 at 01:44 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:02:31 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Titanium13

Any advice how to get these things to charge. I just got 2 of them and neither have started charging after 5 minutes. I've tried hitting some buttons, used the charger with other devices and tried another cable.

My charger is one of those Anker chargers off Amazon, green light turns on when stuff starts charging, use it for phones/headsets and it works fine.... nothings happening.

Edit: Tried seeing if either of them had any power at all, neither would connect to the AVS as well.

Edit: After 30 minutes the lights have started blinking.

The controller is charging even if the LED is not on. If the battery is completely drained the LED will not turn on until it has enough juice to power it.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:03:13 PM
Titanium13 (20)

(Joe ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Canada
Originally posted by: Mog

Originally posted by: Titanium13

Any advice how to get these things to charge. I just got 2 of them and neither have started charging after 5 minutes. I've tried hitting some buttons, used the charger with other devices and tried another cable.

My charger is one of those Anker chargers off Amazon, green light turns on when stuff starts charging, use it for phones/headsets and it works fine.... nothings happening.

Edit: Tried seeing if either of them had any power at all, neither would connect to the AVS as well.

Edit: After 30 minutes the lights have started blinking.

The controller is charging even if the LED is not on. If the battery is completely drained the LED will not turn on until it has enough juice to power it.

Thanks. It was just strange though, because the indicator on my charger wasnt even turning on saying the controllers were taking power. I could plug in my phone and the charger would change from blue to green, the controllers didn't do that for almost 30 minutes.

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:30:01 PM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
(Nicklas ) < Little Mac >
Sweden
Controller still feeling good, but haven't tried to dampen the clickety sound yet. Played some more 12 seconds today, controller is super responsive and still no noticible lag.
Only complaint I could think of was actually the game, a 2 player co-op mode would have been awesome 😁

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:32:38 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Playing Yoshi's Cookie with the wife, she started complaining that the controller was lagging. Sure enough, soon after mine started lagging as well. I dunno if maybe a neighbor is running their microwave or something, but this continues to be an issue about 20 minutes into playing any game with both of my controllers.

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:22:00 PM
Dregoth (0)

< Cherub >
Just got mine in the mail today. I am floored by the quality, just like the console itself. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  

Haven't had any lag issues or bugs yet. The people here complaining about noise confuse me -- y'all ever use microswitches?! I'd say it's relatively muted compared to most microswitches I've used. I was expecting much worse based on the comments.

It's borderline the best controller I've ever owned, although I will admit the ergonomy is not the best ever. It's good enough, not like there are sharp corners digging into your hands or anything awful like that. I could play for hours quite comfortably I think. And it matches the AVS in appearance, so I'm guessing that's why it is that way.

Only other thing was the "auto-off" feature. When I opened mine I was confused because it was already on. Then I started messing with the player switch thinking there was a power button somewhere. Auto on/off is a very, very nice feature, so don't mistake what I'm saying here. Just a bit confused at first.

Now I'm trying to justify NOT buying 3 more of these and deprecating all of my other cool controllers. I just recently found the Retro Fighters one, and you gotta love the dogbone as an ambassador to the past when guests are over.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:01:15 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Dregoth

Now I'm trying to justify NOT buying 3 more of these and deprecating all of my other cool controllers.
Do it dude. You know you want to. Grab three friends and a couple cases of beer. Quadralords, Super Spike V ball / World Cup, Super Offroad, Bomberman II, some no-name wrestling games whose name escapes me, ect and have a good old fashioned bro-down.  

Someone should really make a 4p Smash Bros type game for NES with sprites ripped straight from SMB2, Kirby's Adventure, Metroid, LoZ, etc. Basic up= jump and a= standard grab attack and b= up/down/side attack. Start = shield/block, and select=pause. No items because too many powerups would likely create a flickerfest. Smooth 60Hz animation when extra sprites activated, when played on AVS or NT Mini. Menu selection for Famicom or NES 4-score.

Edited: 10/01/2017 at 11:13 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:34:41 AM
Dregoth (0)

< Cherub >
There's some really sweet homebrewing going on as I'm sure you're aware. Quadralords is great, hope there are more 4-player games like it.

Smash Bros clone sounds like a no-brainer. Somebody's gotta do it! Even though they'd need to diet clone them for official production, take away Mario's 'stache, give Kirby a nose, and make a dwarven Link.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:05:19 AM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: Gloves

Playing Yoshi's Cookie with the wife, she started complaining that the controller was lagging. Sure enough, soon after mine started lagging as well. I dunno if maybe a neighbor is running their microwave or something, but this continues to be an issue about 20 minutes into playing any game with both of my controllers.

Had a similar problem with the 8bitdo wireless receivers. Ended up fixing it by using a NES extension cord on one and moving it away from the other. They behave fine on their own, but when they're next to each other, they interfere.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:01:32 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: SnoopKatt

Originally posted by: Gloves

Had a similar problem with the 8bitdo wireless receivers. Ended up fixing it by using a NES extension cord on one and moving it away from the other. They behave fine on their own, but when they're next to each other, they interfere.
This is due to the distributed spread spectrum nature of Bluetooth wireless. Bluetooth devices do not function well due to crosstalk when placed in extreme proximity. The 8bitdo receivers placed one inch apart both acting as host devices while the controllers themselves are ten feet away, so factor in the inverse square law and the interference between the receivers is several orders of magnitude stronger than the signal from the actual controller. It's like sitting under an AM or FM broadcast tower and trying to pick up a distant signal on adjacent frequency that's 60 miles out.

Placing them just six inches apart will remedy this to a large extent. Some two player games that read D1 may function if you set the AVS or NT Mini to Famicom Four Score and plug the retro receivers into ports 1 and 4.

AVS controllers are immune because they use discrete frequencies in between traditional wifi channels, at a much lower baud rate. The Q factor can be made very high in this case, rejecting crosstalk between receivers. So two AVS receivers can be butted together on separate channels without issue.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:15:53 AM
Camoran (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Iceland
Got my wireless controller yesterday. It is really responsive and having no wire is great.
Although it kind of feels cheap in a way especially when i shake it something rattles inside...

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:08:16 PM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Just tried mine for the first time with my avs and playing my new power blade 2 cart...good day today 👍

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 2

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

NES licensed : 674/677

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:57:35 PM
romeoteknik (0)
< Cherub >
New York
How do you disable turbo on the controller? The little light is always blinking, even when I'm not using the controller. I tried holding the button plus "- Turbo" and nothing.

follow | https://twitter.com/romeoteknik

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:08:39 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: romeoteknik

How do you disable turbo on the controller? The little light is always blinking, even when I'm not using the controller. I tried holding the button plus "- Turbo" and nothing.
Mine did this the first time I unboxed it and plugged it in. It needs charging overnight before it's first use.

Edited: 11/30/2017 at 11:09 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:10:44 PM
romeoteknik (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: romeoteknik

Mine did this the first time I unboxed it and plugged it in. It needs charging overnight before it's first use.

My controller has been charged way back when I got this. I used the turbo on a game, but now that the Xmas cart came I wanted to disable the turbo. I thought the blinking light would stop if disabled, guess not ?

follow | https://twitter.com/romeoteknik

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:30:09 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Holding A or B button and tap [-] until it stops blinking to disable turbo. Tapping [+] makes turbo go faster. Tap both turbos together to instant on/off the turbo function and return to the previously used speed. This is all included in the documentation.

LED should be steady with no button pressed, and blink when turbo activated or pressing button. If the led blinks rapidly when no button is pressed, your battery is drained and needs to be charged. It can and will behave erratically with low battery, or just stop working altogether until you charge it up.

Edited: 11/30/2017 at 11:32 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:58:29 PM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
Afternoon everyone,

I flipped through a few threads and didn't find solution to my problem. So I hope I'm not asking an already discussed issue.

I recieved my controller a couple days ago have have been giving it some use. I have noticed occasionally it will not register a button press, then suddenly catch up causing erratic game character movement. Making for difficult frustrating game play.
-When I received it, I charged it immediately.
-Turbo appears to be off as the light is not blinking.
-Im using it on my AVS.

What do you all think?

I do have a message in to Support and patiently await an answer.

Thanks

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:16:12 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Bigdiver

Afternoon everyone,

I flipped through a few threads and didn't find solution to my problem. So I hope I'm not asking an already discussed issue.

I recieved my controller a couple days ago have have been giving it some use. I have noticed occasionally it will not register a button press, then suddenly catch up causing erratic game character movement. Making for difficult frustrating game play.
-When I received it, I charged it immediately.
-Turbo appears to be off as the light is not blinking.
-Im using it on my AVS.

What do you all think?

I do have a message in to Support and patiently await an answer.

Thanks

I had this problem and they were unable to resolve it; I returned the controllers as I was unhappy with them overall.

These were the questions support asked of me, but I had already gone through it all to no avail:

Do you have each controller always set on different channels? Having two
controllers set to the same channel and powered on can cause interference.
 Were the controllers fully charged? We recommend on charging them for 4-6
hours, or overnight.
What type of console are you using them on?
Does the issue always happen? Are you able to play with them at all before
the problem starts? Does it always start after a set time or does it
happen randomly?

Do you have any other RF devices in the house? Some remote controls for
your TV/home theater system/cable/satellite box may run off of RF.  Try
using an alternate channel on the controller.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:54:21 AM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
Thanks Gloves, I will give a few of those other options a try. Appreciate the information.

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:14:37 PM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
Thanks for the help Gloves,

Unfortunately I was in the same boat as you and could not effectively troubleshoot my controller connectivity issues with support. I set up for a return with support. Question is... How long did it take for you to get a refund once they received your controller? According to my tracking number, they have had it for 11 days. I haven't heard or seen anything. Emailed support but haven't had any replys.

Thanks again

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:01:54 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Bigdiver

Thanks for the help Gloves, Unfortunately I was in the same boat as you and could not effectively troubleshoot my controller connectivity issues with support. I set up for a return with support. Question is... How long did it take for you to get a refund once they received your controller? According to my tracking number, they have had it for 11 days. I haven't heard or seen anything. Emailed support but haven't had any replys. Thanks again

Unfortunately it took them about a month after receiving the controllers back.

Hopefully this is not the same for you, but I'd say hound them over it - keep emailing every few days. I had to. They didn't send me a refund or contact me at all until I sent them a few emails.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:59:00 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Everything is going into clearing the xmas backlog for at least another week, emailing more will just slow down everyone.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:28:34 PM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Everything is going into clearing the xmas backlog for at least another week, emailing more will just slow down everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I was getting a bit worried since you had my money, the returned controller and email correspondence with support also ended on the Jan 2nd. I will continue to wait.

Thanks

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:13:06 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Support guy must have been less lazy than me, like the FB updates said I didnt start work again until the 5th  

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:21:44 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Was it an issue with the controller, or some as oof yet unknown source of interferance?