Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Winter Tournament Presents Round 3, The Finals: Double Dragon 2 Contest ends Monday, 1/19/2015 at 11 PM NA time

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:52:26 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

From my experience, so far, the couple of key places where 1-life-rule "costs points" are:

(1) Mission 4 tunnel --> how close to the raggedy edge you're willing to go to milk points, between the Simon, the Abobo, and knife throwers, and grenade throwers... I am CERTAIN I have left thousands on the table in this section.

(2) Mission 7 disappearing floor --> how long are you willing to spend maxing points versus staying safe with Burnov... again, at least a couple thousand on the table here, especially if you resort to the knee

Most other places, you aren't risking that much to max points versus how much damage you take, IMO.
(though, of course, having lives to spare, you get a bit of a stress-relief on the platforming segments )

I don't have much of an issue with Burnov, you just have to be quick. If you can cyclone kick him to the far right side of the screen it gives you some room to work with. The grenade and dynamite throwing enemies give me the most trouble. They constantly throw multiple grenades/dynamite sticks right in front of themselves and then walk right into the explosions. You can usually bait the Ropers into throwing their dynamite and then jump towards them while using an uppercut to knock them back away from the explosions. With the Lindas in the tunnel, you basically have to cyclone kick them as they drop down from the ceiling and hit them again as they stand up to keep them from throwing any grenades.

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:22:52 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I have literally NEVER, in all the years I have played this game, landed a cyclone kick against Burnov.

Please illuminate my ignorance

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:33:49 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I have literally NEVER, in all the years I have played this game, landed a cyclone kick against Burnov.

Please illuminate my ignorance
If you knock him down with a jump kick or uppercut first, you should be able to stand over him and connect with it as he's getting back up if the timing is just right. Eventually, it's possible to knock him out of view on the right side of the screen. If you go as far as possible to the right and time your cyclone kicks just right, he should walk into/stand up right at the same time.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:37:02 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I'll give it a try at the end of Mission 1... but man, seriously, I've never managed to get the timing right, even trying the "cyclone when he gets up".

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:42:07 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I'll give it a try at the end of Mission 1... but man, seriously, I've never managed to get the timing right, even trying the "cyclone when he gets up".
This video shows what I'm talking about right at the 5:00 minute mark where he knocks Burnov down with an uppercut and follows it with a cyclone kick that he stands up into. It also shows how you can knock him off the right side of the screen. The only difference is once he's off the screen you want to go all the way to the right and just keep doing cyclone kicks. If timed properly, they should connect each time:

Edited: 01/16/2015 at 03:57 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:06:34 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Yeah, I'll have to practice that on Level 1, where I have plenty of time and health and no real risk of death.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:21:27 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Yeah, I'll have to practice that on Level 1, where I have plenty of time and health and no real risk of death.
If you want to try to duplicate the conditions, get him to go up at the very top of the screen where you don't have a lot of room to work with and see if you can beat him without having to move down to get out of the way. I'll try to get a 1 life run of my own up tonight to see how it holds up against the Tier 1 final scores. I meant to do it yesterday, but I needed a break.

Edit: Score added below

Edited: 01/16/2015 at 07:45 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:41:58 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Tier 1 Honorary Score - 158,580 (Game Completed)

Edited: 01/19/2015 at 06:28 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:55:49 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I wouldn't sell your score short, either.  That is a strong score.

Especially considering you did it on one life.

Gives you lots of rooms to take more risks in a few places to find some of the other 25-30k you left on the table.

I just posted a one life score for you guys to shoot for.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:11:24 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: khog143

Man, I am not making very good progress. I have pretty much resigned myself to not beating the score posted earlier for Tier 2, and just hope I can finish in 3rd, rather than 4th.

Pretty much sucks, but I am not very good at beat 'em ups, except a exclusive few that I played when I was a kid and put a ton of time into.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm doing boarderline awful this week, and by boarderline, I mean I'm not quite at awful yet.  There are only a few beat'em ups I'm even decent at and this one doesn't seem to be one of those. 

Keep doing your best because you have a very good chance of beating me right now for at least 3rd in our tier.

Edited: 01/16/2015 at 08:11 PM by EgasKrad

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:47:19 PM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

Man, I am not making very good progress. I have pretty much resigned myself to not beating the score posted earlier for Tier 2, and just hope I can finish in 3rd, rather than 4th.

Pretty much sucks, but I am not very good at beat 'em ups, except a exclusive few that I played when I was a kid and put a ton of time into.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm doing boarderline awful this week, and by boarderline, I mean I'm not quite at awful yet.  There are only a few beat'em ups I'm even decent at and this one doesn't seem to be one of those. 

Keep doing your best because you have a very good chance of beating me right now for at least 3rd in our tier.
I was wondering how you were coming along, since it seemed like you were my biggest competition since we both had little to no experience.  I think my highest score is around 50-55k as of right now, but hopefully I can get to 6 figures, though that seems unattainable right now.

Good luck with improving your score!

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:54:20 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

I was wondering how you were coming along, since it seemed like you were my biggest competition since we both had little to no experience.  I think my highest score is around 50-55k as of right now, but hopefully I can get to 6 figures, though that seems unattainable right now.

Thanks man.  Since you told me where you are at with your score, I just broke 50K for the first time, but even that took a lot of work.  My highest before that was a little over 35K.  I dont' know what is realistic at this point, but I don't think there is any way I'm breaking six figures.  Weirdly enough, even with how hard it is this week for me, this is becoming fun, even if I suck at this game

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:41:26 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Wishful thinking...Do you ever get an extra life in this game?

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:19:29 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Thanks man.  Since you told me where you are at with your score, I just broke 50K for the first time, but even that took a lot of work.  My highest before that was a little over 35K.  I dont' know what is realistic at this point, but I don't think there is any way I'm breaking six figures.  Weirdly enough, even with how hard it is this week for me, this is becoming fun, even if I suck at this game

Glad to read that! Looking forward to seeing some more of these scores!

Edited: 01/18/2015 at 01:20 AM by gutsman004

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:46:14 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I vote you move up a tier or two I would love to see a video of this.
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Tier 1 Rules - 158,580 (Game Completed, Doesn't Count Towards Leaderboard)

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:07:49 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

Wishful thinking...Do you ever get an extra life in this game?

Nope!

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:15:25 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I wish I had access to a decent camera because I would've liked to have had a video of my TG record breaking run in case I decided to submit it. Given how often TG records get broken in the weekly contests, I consider it just as much of an accomplishment to have done it on here. The contest isn't over until tomorrow night, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else was able to beat my score by then.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:49:27 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I wish I had access to a decent camera because I would've liked to have had a video of my TG record breaking run in case I decided to submit it. Given how often TG records get broken in the weekly contests, I consider it just as much of an accomplishment to have done it on here. The contest isn't over until tomorrow night, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else was able to beat my score by then.

Still going to be a tough task. Good job my friend,you crushed it this week!

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:06:33 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Still going to be a tough task. Good job my friend,you crushed it this week!

Thanks! I improved quite a bit since the 3/17/13 weekly contest where I ended up 5th. There was a huge turnout that week with 25 total scores. You finished ahead of me in 4th place that week, so there could be some really interesting scores if this comes up again during the weekly contests.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:29:21 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Yo, my Tier 1 peeps! Are we going straight poker face to the very end or what? Doug's score is getting lonely all by itself.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:39:04 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Yo, my Tier 1 peeps! Are we going straight poker face to the very end or what? Doug's score is getting lonely all by itself.

I've been wondering if that's what everyone has been up to. I didn't even realize until just now that there's only two other scores posted that aren't mine.

Edited: 01/18/2015 at 02:56 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:16:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I guess there is going to be a 4 way tie for first with 0 points due to no submissions.

I had forgotten what I placed. That was actually the best I had ever done on DD 2. Haven't played it since the last time it came up so I'm probably really rusty.

Edited: 01/18/2015 at 03:21 PM by gutsman004

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:41:05 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

I guess there is going to be a 4 way tie for first with 0 points due to no submissions. I had forgotten what I placed. That was actually the best I had ever done on DD 2. Haven't played it since the last time it came up so I'm probably really rusty.

Lol, exactly. Pretty boring right? So here's my proposition (not sexual, don't get too excited Arch ) I'll post my best score tonight at 10pm if everyone else in tier 1 agrees to do the same thing. No pressure though, its up to you guys.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:43:41 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Lol, exactly. Pretty boring right? So here's my proposition (not sexual, don't get too excited Arch ) I'll post my best score tonight at 10pm if everyone else in tier 1 agrees to do the same thing. No pressure though, its up to you guys.

Even though my Tier 1 rules score doesn't count, I'm interested to see how it measures up against the real ones.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:46:27 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina

I guess there is going to be a 4 way tie for first with 0 points due to no submissions. I had forgotten what I placed. That was actually the best I had ever done on DD 2. Haven't played it since the last time it came up so I'm probably really rusty.

I can post mine later tonight, haven't been playing as much as I should be so I don't have too much of an awesome score. Also having one life really changes things from the last time I played this. Only takes one mistake to completely end the run.