Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tech Talk famiROM, the .nes rom splitter I made update 2019-01-13

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:24:46 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: aupton

Hi Lincoln,

I know this is an old thread, but I've found a game that famiROM doesn't suggest a board type for, Spartan X 2 (Translated to english as Kung Fu 2). http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=3849

famiROM does split the prg/chr to 128kb / 27c010, but does this mean that there's no compatible USA NES board to use ?

Thanks!

Correct, there are only a handful of Famicom carts with that board. On boot fods site you can click the mapper number or PCB class name to get compatible titles.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:27:46 PM
aupton (11)
(aupton aupton) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Jersey
OK, thanks for the quick reply! Maybe someone will figure out how to make it work on MMC3 some day.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:27:59 PM
Pendragonx (5)
(Evan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
So I just started using your fantastic program, and saw this romhack threw some errors .. I'm curious what it might mean (other than the obvious)

CoMV2.nes
iNES version: 1.0
platform: NES
mapper: 2
mirroring: Vertical
prg size: 128KB (1024kb)
chr size: 0KB (0kb)
prg ram size: not specified
battery backup: no
trained: no
*** warning ***
data in bytes 11-15, potential problems
0x49 0x20 0x31 0x2E 0x33

boards: (UxROM [UNROM, UOROM])
crc32: prg [89d98500]

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:30:29 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Bytes 0 through 15 are the header data and get cut off when you split the ROM. Never made any NES repros myself, I would try it as it first if that does not work then add a few bytes of padding data.

Just about anything you would want to know about SNES repros
The best SNES PCBs you can buy
Mask ROM Adapter Boards
Fixing stuff on my YouTube channel

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:45:02 PM
Pendragonx (5)
Massachusetts
Ahhhhh okay, I see what you're saying.. That's odd .. the romhack runs fine in FCEUX, so I figured the prg bin file would split correctly .. Maybe that's my problem. Thanks!

edit: -- just wanted to add that the PRG file burned (and runs) correctly, regardless of those errors .. odd, but that's apparently how it is for that patch

Edited: 01/20/2015 at 11:20 PM by Pendragonx

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:19:06 PM
aupton (11)
New Jersey
I've come across an oddity when using Famirom... I'm passing a rom that's identified as NROM/Mapper 0, however there's no CHR rom and it says it's compatible with 27c010/128KB. I didn't think it was possible to use anything larger than 256kb on an NROM board and isn't a CHRROM *required* as part of the NROM spec ?

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:53:31 PM
Retrostage (36)
(Mike S) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Just came across this. It's a great program, super easy to use for people who don't quite get hex editors.

I'll post this on my thread for my NES boards, should work great for people to prep their roms.

Great work!

Brand New NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis boards available! Great for reproductions/homebrew! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Buy them from my website here: http://www.retrostage.net

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:44:38 PM
Lincoln (138)
California

I've come across an oddity when using Famirom... I'm passing a rom that's identified as NROM/Mapper 0, however there's no CHR rom and it says it's compatible with 27c010/128KB. I didn't think it was possible to use anything larger than 256kb on an NROM board and isn't a CHRROM *required* as part of the NROM spec ?

Did I ever reply to you about this? I can't remember and think I missed this when you posted it. 

afaik there are no factory nrom games with chr-ram, but it should be possible. There's a pirate 3d tetris game like this. It'd probably be easier to use a UNROM game as a donor and disable the mapper. 

Is your rom actually that big or is the 128K chip just an option? There's nothing to prevent you from using a larger chip on an nrom board. It would be a waste since you'd end up disabling most of the chip memory, but again it would work.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:18:58 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
New version! fairly unimpressive considering it's been 2 years but oh well. fixed up the editor quite a bit and changed output file names for splitting.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:19:41 AM
aupton (11)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Lincoln

New version! fairly unimpressive considering it's been 2 years but oh well. fixed up the editor quite a bit and changed output file names for splitting.

Lincoln, thank you for your continued support and amazing work on Famirom. I'm looking forward to checking out the new release over the weekend.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:18:13 AM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Little Mac >
hiya,i have a question regarding the programme...

how does this hold up against regional copmpatability? what im trying to figure out is wether the donor carts reccomended would be the same in a different region?

so say i wanted to patch the uk translation of the jap game tekeshis nightmare (which i do ) and put it on a uk nes cart....is this possible? or is further rewiring or alterations needed? or would it have to go back on a jap cart?

also in another splitter app i use it says a donor for mario is ice climber, would this be the same in all regions (mainly uk)

and then finally, theres homebrew made for certain boards, mostly i see them as a usa rom or a worldwide rom, if i find a donor for them would it still have to be a usa cart, as the rom is usa?? or could it simply work on a uk cart?

thanks

Check out my PS2 and Retro Gaming channel on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNZylG5ZROX7uhBo-GjnHqg

Jump straight to the Phoenix Games Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL6TPX2q8tWS_jjFUveVL...

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:46:16 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Check bootgod's NES cart database for the donor recommended against your countries version. The physical board has no bearing on the ROM, so you just have to match up model numbers.

Edited: 03/25/2015 at 11:46 AM by removed04092017

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:04:31 PM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Little Mac >
so basically whatever model number board the original rom is on, is the board im looking for?
and if its a jap only game would it show a uk donor? or would the game need patching for PAL in some way before it would work?

is there such thing as a site like bootgod for master system? the carts are a lot cheaper to pick up so i might buy a few just to get to grips with it all

edit:
ok, so wall street kid is a game id like to edit the text to, i looked on bootgod, saw its a cnrom - 09, so then i found that california games is also a cnrom 09 and mapper 2....so can i just use that without anythin other than replacing the chips needed?
also....theres a lack of uk roms on bootgod, theres no uk california games listed, so would the board be the same as the usa one?
i do haave it here, so i can open it up if needed

Edited: 03/25/2015 at 12:17 PM by SHLIMPOLE

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:29:53 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
That's pretty much right, you just need to find a class of board that matches your rom. Typically you find a donor for your home region so the lockout chip matches your console. Whether or not you have to rewire things depends on the board. CNROM uses standard pinouts in all cases I'm aware of. So you likely don't have to do any wiring, unless your rom ends up oversized as a result of the patch. Boards that support larger games typically use a non-standard pinout, which requires jumper wires when installing eproms.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:37:30 PM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Little Mac >
ok...unfortunately i made a mistake and theyre both UNrom games not CNrom

ill be searching through bootgod for a while now looking at cnrom games to mess with!
thanks for the help so far

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:48:43 PM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Little Mac >
it would appear that only 1 game on bootgods lists is a UK CNrom game :'(
theres a bunch of european games but theyre all PAL B which is incompatible with a uk nes!

unless im doing something wrong while searching then im quite shocked at the lack of UK roms on there considering the ammount of info the db stores for other countries??

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:03:43 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
Look for titles you can get locally that have a corresponding entry for another region. A single title is almost certainly going to use the same class of board for any usa or pal cart. If you can't find a local cart that fits, buy a PAL B or USA cart and swap out the lockout chip with a local donor.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:07:53 PM
Pendragonx (5)
Massachusetts
Lincoln, thank you for your continued support and amazing work on Famirom. I'm looking forward to checking out the new release over the weekend.

^^^ This. Thank you, sir! Will be downloading when I get home

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:49:54 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: Pendragonx

So I just started using your fantastic program, and saw this romhack threw some errors .. I'm curious what it might mean (other than the obvious)

CoMV2.nes
iNES version: 1.0
platform: NES
mapper: 2
mirroring: Vertical
prg size: 128KB (1024kb)
chr size: 0KB (0kb)
prg ram size: not specified
battery backup: no
trained: no
*** warning ***
data in bytes 11-15, potential problems
0x49 0x20 0x31 0x2E 0x33

boards: (UxROM [UNROM, UOROM])
crc32: prg [89d98500]

some info on this relevant to this update:

the iNES 1.0 format supports has standard fields that use half the rom header and leave half basically undefined. The second half has been used in various ways over the years including some ad hoc extensions and self promotion for various people or sites. 

As I understand it most emulators have settled on some de facto properties they recognize in the extended space. These are the number of sram/wram 8K units in byte 8 and the NTSC/PAL flag in byte 9. These are mostly useful for roms unknown to the emulator.

The problem is a bunch of roms floating around have other data in those bytes, so the sram and tv flags aren't guaranteed to be accurate. Emulators do a sanity check on this by looking at the bytes at the end of the header. If they are anything but empty (0x00), the emu ignores everything from bytes 8-15. If they are empty and bytes 8 and 9 have values in them they are considered good and used as appropriate.

sram units and tv system are reported from the header now. I should update the warning to make more sense. Those values can also be set in the editor now. There were some proposed uses for byte 10 which I had written code for but apparently it never caught on. Looks like I need to clean up to account for that. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:20:34 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
new version today bump!

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:58:39 PM
aupton (11)
New Jersey

new version today bump!

Thank you Lincoln, most appreciated!

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:51:48 PM
johnblueriggs (27)
(John Riggs) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington

new version today bump!

I saw it was up for a second to download, when to my 'repro' computer and the link is down again? Looking forward to checking out the new version.

@johnblueriggs on Twitter, Instagram and all gaming platforms (Wii U, PSN, ect.)

YouTube at RIGG'd Games

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:21:40 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: johnblueriggs

new version today bump!

I saw it was up for a second to download, when to my 'repro' computer and the link is down again? Looking forward to checking out the new version.

sorry, looks like it's an issue with the onedrive service. I can pull up my own files but not with the "shared" link. check back later I guess? 

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:48:34 AM
spawncalibur (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Just wanted to say thanks for this program. Makes life way more easy.

FS: NES Repros
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadi...
WTB/FT: Kabuki Quantum Fighter/Batman cart/Sega Genesis system Starting from scratch again. NES, SNES, N64  

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:27:06 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: spawncalibur

Just wanted to say thanks for this program. Makes life way more easy.

I'll second that.  This is a great tool that I didn't even know I needed untill I used it.  Now, I couldn't do this stuff without it.