Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

WARNING: Earthbound SNES fake cart/repro/bootleg I need some opinions here

LOCKED TOPIC

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:53:45 AM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

People need to stop reproing rare crap and passing it off as legit. It seems like there's a ton of scammers doing it now-a-days, and if too many people start selling fake repros as genuine, innocent unknowing resellers will end up getting their reputations ruined, as well as buyers who don't even know they're geting duped. If you're that hell-bent on making Earthbound repros, then print reproduction somewhere on the label, and change the artwork so it looks nothing like the original. Geeze...

Earthbound is by no means "rare"I have had 5 legit copies of this game .I can understand someone faking NWC,Stadium Events,or DKCC some truly rare game like that .But not Earthbound which is not even yet a $300 game if ever cart alone.Hell some people just started faking Hagane,which is in some cases $300 for cart alone which I by no means justify it but I can understand with faking a semi-rare game .Faking a very common game like Earthbound for profit in my mind is just pointless .That's my two cents about the issue!

-------------------------
Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Edited: 12/29/2012 at 07:10 AM by DreamStar

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:32:25 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Why is it pointless? You have this fanboy hole that never seems to get plugged over the false rarity of Earthbound and the game goes for like $150. If you could fake one parts and all say for $50, how is $100 in scammed off profit pointless? I'd love to have a nice supply of $100 bills coming in as I bet you would too.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:38:25 AM
Rooster (113)
(Michael Speakman) < Ridley Wrangler >
Japan
Originally posted by: DreamStar

People need to stop reproing rare crap and passing it off as legit. It seems like there's a ton of scammers doing it now-a-days, and if too many people start selling fake repros as genuine, innocent unknowing resellers will end up getting their reputations ruined, as well as buyers who don't even know they're geting duped. If you're that hell-bent on making Earthbound repros, then print reproduction somewhere on the label, and change the artwork so it looks nothing like the original. Geeze...

Earthbound is by no means "rare"I have had 5 legit copies of this game .I can understand someone faking NWC,Stadium Events,or DKCC some truly rare game like that .But not Earthbound which is not even yet a $300 game if ever cart alone.Hell some people just started faking Hagane,which is in some cases $300 for cart alone which I by no means justify it but I can understand with faking a semi-rare game .Faking a very common game like Earthbound for profit in my mind is just pointless .That's my two cents about the issue!

Just because you have 5 copies of a game doesn't mean it isn't rare.  Ogre Battle is only about $50 right now, and it is definitely a rare game.  I could easily just go out and buy a dozen of them, it doesn't mean it's any less rare.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:01:27 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: Rooster

Just because you have 5 copies of a game doesn't mean it isn't rare.  Ogre Battle is only about $50 right now, and it is definitely a rare game.  I could easily just go out and buy a dozen of them, it doesn't mean it's any less rare.

The real question here is why does he have 5 copies of the game?

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:47:50 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Perhaps watching how some have gone up, they're now being held onto as a commodity to trade and speculate on like gold, silver and oil?

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:52:54 PM
Chronosousa (0)
(thomas johansen) < Tourian Tourist >
Denmark
I made a video about it, to tell my sub's to look out for FAKE's EB out there (ebay)
The video is in Danish, (i'm from denmark) but you can still see me open a real one VS the fake EB game.

Sorry Is NOT in english!
I hope it will help you look for fakes video games out there!

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:08:00 PM
Fierce Deity (0)
(Fierce Deity) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
^Add annotations in English. That would be a great idea don't you think? Thanks for posting the vid.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:22:47 PM
takeshi (13)
(Takeshi C) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
I wouldn't buy an EB cart off ebay at this point. Unless I could physically open it before purchase, nope

currently translating Legend of the River King for Famicom

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:04:24 PM
Fluxx (204)
(Pete L) < Meka Chicken >
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

A better question is why the last 2 posts I'm quoting here are reading "I have had 5 copies" as "I have 5 copies". Learn to read, peeps.

I've had 3 copies of Earthbound over the years myself. Bought it, played it, semi-enjoyed it, and sold it when I saw what I could trade/sell it for, then rinse and repeat. 

Also, a lot of the copies of MIJ and MIM snes carts have label variants, so be cautious what you label as fake and what is truly a variant.

Who says money can't buy happiness? You ever see someone frowning on a jet-ski?

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:12:11 PM
YogurtStorm (15)
(Conker's BFF) < Meka Chicken >
Quebec
Pretty horrible how similar they are.

Still, if I were being OFFERED a very cheap fake copy (that doesn't cost me hundreds), I wouldn't mind having a fake IF I KNEW IT WAS FAKE. At that point, as long as the game plays fine, fine by me.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:43:09 PM
Rooster (113)
(Michael Speakman) < Ridley Wrangler >
Japan
Originally posted by: Fluxx

Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

A better question is why the last 2 posts I'm quoting here are reading "I have had 5 copies" as "I have 5 copies". Learn to read, peeps.

I've had 3 copies of Earthbound over the years myself. Bought it, played it, semi-enjoyed it, and sold it when I saw what I could trade/sell it for, then rinse and repeat. 

Also, a lot of the copies of MIJ and MIM snes carts have label variants, so be cautious what you label as fake and what is truly a variant.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because if he doesn't currently have 5 copies then his post is completely pointless, and means nothing.  Learn to mind your own business.

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:19:22 PM
Fluxx (204)
(Pete L) < Meka Chicken >
Nova Scotia
His post is far from pointless Rooster.
What do you even mean by "mind my own business"? This is a public forum,I can post whatever I want.
Don't get all butthurt because you clearly didn't read his post properly, and won't acknowledge he made a perfectly viable statement. Earthbound isn't THAT rare and there are far more things that would be more logical to dupe than it, from a "pirate for profit" perspective. It's perfectly reasonable to think someone has owned several legit copies of this, especially if they do any active reselling.

Who says money can't buy happiness? You ever see someone frowning on a jet-ski?

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:36:07 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
OK peeps, enough back and forth BS. This thread is 4 months old and I am sure the original listing is dead by now. if anyone has any new fake Earthbound (or any other game) auctions that you want to point out, feel free to do so here, thanks.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 12/29/2012 at 07:36 PM by Laserman