Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2013 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Summer Tournament: Round 1 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Contest ends Sunday, 7/14/13 at 10 PM NA time Poll Included!!!

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:21:19 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: thesubcon3

Am I allowed to join in on the madness or was this a preregistration?

Compete in the weekly contests to qualify next time. The more players the better.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:05:07 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: link463

This is only my first attempt. I know I can no death this game.

Good job man. I'm on my iphone,so I don't know how it looks on a computer screen,but I can't make out your ID. =/

I went back and looked at it and I believe you're right. It is hard to make out. No matter. I'm going to run through it again, anyway.

-------------------------
Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:21:58 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

Pie > Cake

Space Jockey > the other Tier 3 folks whose names aren't even worth remembering

Ha! I just caught that

Question about point racking.  Shredder has a limited number of clones, so are we allowed to kill all the clones?

Also, the only place to point rack is the mousers that Baxter tosses in stage 3. Should we put a limit on that? I think I killed 3 or 5 during that battle (+/- 2, but definitely under 10). It would be easy to determine how many extras were killed because there's only a finite enemies per level, with that one exception, and only X # of freeze tanks (I think there's 8), so if you don't kill the mousers, your score will be under 760.

Instead of making it a high score competition, I think it should be a low score + furthest. Just my $0.02.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:30:20 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
Originally posted by: dra600n

Pie > Cake

Ha! I just caught that

Question about point racking.  Shredder has a limited number of clones, so are we allowed to kill all the clones?

Also, the only place to point rack is the mousers that Baxter tosses in stage 3. Should we put a limit on that? I think I killed 3 or 5 during that battle (+/- 2, but definitely under 10). It would be easy to determine how many extras were killed because there's only a finite enemies per level, with that one exception, and only X # of freeze tanks (I think there's 8), so if you don't kill the mousers, your score will be under 760.

Instead of making it a high score competition, I think it should be a low score + furthest. Just my $0.02.

There is another place to rack. In level 4, the foot soldiers on motorcycles will come at you infinitely around the midpoint of the level. I killed like two on my run as that seemed fair to me. I think I killed maybe 3 mousers. It's kind of hard to avoid them. I didn't know Shredder had a limited number of clones. I've fought him for what has seemed like over an hour in the past and he never ran out. That would be another hard to avoid thing to kill several of. I do kind of like your idea.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:46:45 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Pie > Cake

Ha! I just caught that

Well,if we did that you could also reverse point rack as killing foot soldiers using background items do not count and there are many places to do that,so pick your poison.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:51:42 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: link463

Pie > Cake

Ha! I just caught that

There is another place to rack. In level 4, the foot soldiers on motorcycles will come at you infinitely around the midpoint of the level. I killed like two on my run as that seemed fair to me. I think I killed maybe 3 mousers. It's kind of hard to avoid them. I didn't know Shredder had a limited number of clones. I've fought him for what has seemed like over an hour in the past and he never ran out. That would be another hard to avoid thing to kill several of. I do kind of like your idea.

Ah! I didn't know that. I think I killed one and avoided the rest (on accident), but didn't know they spawned infinitely. I can double check again about Shredder (he might have around 10 clones, or maybe once he reaches a certain level of health he stops spawning them?).

Well,if we did that you could also reverse point rack as killing foot soldiers using background items do not count and there are many places to do that,so pick your poison.

True, but it still makes a person have to use some strategy. I doubt someone is going to be able to pull 3+ soldiers in 1 hit all the time.

Just an idea. It can be nixed if people don't like it

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:19:43 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Tier 3 - 596

I'm getting a lot better. I finally understood the strategy. I should have it completed before the end of the week.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:21:41 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
Originally posted by: JojoRice

Good luck folks!! I voted for DK Jr for next week.

Good man!  Let's hope it wins. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:25:01 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: treismac

Originally posted by: JojoRice

Good luck folks!! I voted for DK Jr for next week.

Good man!  Let's hope it wins. 

I apparently wasted my vote on Baseball (again), but I wouldn't mind playing DK Jr either as a second option. I'd sure feel better about my chances with it than Ninja Gaiden 2.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:41:32 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
All good points about the point racking spots. And yes, there are three main spots where you could rack for points, two of which are infinite. The Mousers at the level 3 boss can be fought infinitely and the motorcycle Foot Soldiers can be fought infinitely in level 6. I forget the exact number of Shredder clones, but there are no more than 13 of them. Since these three spots could be problematic (well, I foresee the Mousers and and Shredder clones being the biggest problems since you can skip past the motorcycles), I will switch this to a low score contest with furthest progression taking precedence. Sound good to everyone? I know the game well enough where I will be able to tell where people died in each of the levels if two or more of you die in the same level but different spots.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:54:11 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

All good points about the point racking spots. And yes, there are three main spots where you could rack for points, two of which are infinite. The Mousers at the level 3 boss can be fought infinitely and the motorcycle Foot Soldiers can be fought infinitely in level 6. I forget the exact number of Shredder clones, but there are no more than 13 of them. Since these three spots could be problematic (well, I foresee the Mousers and and Shredder clones being the biggest problems since you can skip past the motorcycles), I will switch this to a low score contest with furthest progression taking precedence. Sound good to everyone? I know the game well enough where I will be able to tell where people died in each of the levels if two or more of you die in the same level but different spots.

I don't really see a problem with it, I guess. I know I had to have killed probably 10 or so mousers while fighting Baxter Stockman in the sewers (not that I was aiming for them anyways). Works for me.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:56:23 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
Cool. I think this will make things much more interesting.

-

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:58:32 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I think it will make things interesting as well. Avoiding the Mousers at the stage 3 boss will provide a little challenge, as well as not killing Shredder clones in the final battle. Also, more strategy will be involved to avoid getting points (hitting enemies with objects, avoiding enemies, etc).

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:59:32 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
I like the rule change. I'm sure several of us can no death the game. It would have been sad to see people re-submit newer scores because they had to kill a few more mousers to not get knocked out.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:19:11 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: LukeAF24

I like the rule change. I'm sure several of us can no death the game. It would have been sad to see people re-submit newer scores because they had to kill a few more mousers to not get knocked out.

Im not too excited that I have to resubmit a new score after already beating the game, but I do agree that this is the fairest option. It would be lousy to see the difference between someone getting knocked out or making the next round come down to a single point just because someone else killed one extra mouser, foot soldier, etc.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:56:53 PM
WickedWonka (97)
(Mike D) < El Ripper >
Texas
Like the rule change.. Glad I didn't go ahead and no death without checking the thread first. Bimmy, you may want to pm all the competitors so noone find out Sunday afternoon!

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:16:01 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Thanks for changing the rules, it is better that way!

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:43:14 PM
Shane (146)
United States
Vote Ninja Gaiden 2!

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:17:29 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I got this.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:40:35 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Damn Tier 1 is tough this week.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:59:23 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
updated 7/14 @ 12:41pm

Edited: 07/14/2013 at 12:41 PM by treismac

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:40:54 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I have a lot of practice to do since I haven't played this game since renting it as a kid. But dang, avoiding those mousers during the Stockman fight was harder than I expected. I probably killed a good 15 of them.

Even so, I like the new set of rules better. It's a pretty good challenge.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:10:13 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Tier 1 - 730 (Game completed)

Edited: 07/14/2013 at 07:31 PM by gutsman004

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:16:04 AM
Shane (146)
United States

Tier 1 - 0 Just laying down a placeholder post before the inevitable awesome score post.

Take no prisoners!!

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:05:06 AM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
I must say, this format makes baxter one of the hardest parts in the game. Funny, considering he's the easiest boss in the game. I think I killed more mousers trying to avoid them.

-