Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

e-Zine: Bunnyboy's M8/M82 article

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:18:09 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Please use this space to share your thoughts!

-------------------------

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:50:25 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Damn bunny, you sexed those up good I want one worse than ever now!

-------------------------

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:53:51 PM
brideck (10)
(Brian Decker) < Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota

This was a pretty cool article.  I didn't know about the earlier model (M8) demo systems.  Something I noticed... if the first one of these came out in 1986 and has Soccer in it, isn't that more evidence that it's release date is earlier than 1987?

I was arguing a long time ago that this is really one of the NES launch titles because of some information I found in the US copyright database and in Bootgod's database.  This would seem to be more fuel for the fire.  In fact, the contents of the M8 v1 matches what the copyright database has as the 17(!) launch titles (if you don't include Gyromite).

Baseball
Tennis
Pinball
Wild Gunman
Duck Hunt
Golf
Hogan's Alley
Clu Clu Land
Excitebike
Ice Climber
Soccer
Wrecking Crew
Kung Fu
Stack-Up
Gyromite
10-Yard Fight
Super Mario Bros.

Thoughts?  How many sources do we need before we're allowed to rewrite history?  Our current dates come from the official Nintendo game list, but it's been proven wrong in other instances like Metroid.

-Brian

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:05:10 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
The Soccer release date is why I originally put that version in the #3 slot, but then it made no sense to add Stack Up to the M8 at the same time it was being discontinued. Got any links to the copyright info?

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:44:00 AM
brideck (10)
(Brian Decker) < Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota

When I tried to link to it way back when it didn't work since they're temporary links for your individual query.  Here's the database search engine:  US Copyright Database

I've attached some screenshots of the entries for the box and manual.

I've looked for a lot of early NES titles, but sadly it seems that no publisher other than NOA was all that stringent about its filings. That does mean that nearly all of the black box games are in there, though. Basically, the 17 I listed have 10/85 dates, then there's a wave in the 6/86 timeframe:

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Popeye
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Donkey Kong 3

Then more in 8/86:

Urban Champion
Balloon Fight
Mach Rider
Gumshoe

I'm not sure where Mario Bros fits in as there's a pretty large discrepancy in publishing dates (box in 10/86, manual in 6/86). I'm not entirely sure what it means when a game is listed like that.

-Brian

Edited: 08/03/2008 at 05:45 AM by brideck