Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Pixel Aspect

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:38:37 AM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I meant to say what's the right setting to emulate the same aspect ratio of playing the NES on a CRT but I think most people say it's the 3rd setting from the left as far as I've seen.

-------------------------
Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:59:39 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KaiserGX

I meant to say what's the right setting to emulate the same aspect ratio of playing the NES on a CRT but I think most people say it's the 3rd setting from the left as far as I've seen.
It's all preference really. I would actually recommend either the second or the fourth tick. 3.5 pixels alternates 50% and 4 pixels is integer. Some people also do 5x3, then adjust theit TV's aspect setting to 4x3 if it permits this.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:33:36 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

It's all preference really. I would actually recommend either the second or the fourth tick. 3.5 pixels alternates 50% and 4 pixels is integer. Some people also do 5x3, then adjust theit TV's aspect setting to 4x3 if it permits this.

I was dead set on just left of center for a good while. Right now, I'm alternating between 3 clicks from the left and going full 16:9 and having my TV readjust to 4:3 (the default center for AVS is *just* wide enough to bug me, but games like "Dragon Warrior" get some nasty shimmer when scaling is non-integer). 

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:24:31 AM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I don't think I've tried putting it at 16:9 and having the TV force it. I don't think my tv can do that. Right now I have it set on the lowest setting. I've gotten to used to it where anything else doesn't look as good to me. 1:1 looks really sharp.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:32:14 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

I don't think I've tried putting it at 16:9 and having the TV force it. I don't think my tv can do that. Right now I have it set on the lowest setting. I've gotten to used to it where anything else doesn't look as good to me. 1:1 looks really sharp.
1:1 (zero ticks) is a bit skinny IMO. I keep yo-yoing between 3.5:3 (two ticks) and 4:3 (four ticks / center). 3.75:1 is too uneven IMO. A lot of NES games use chessboard dithering which look acceptable using the 3.5 setting but not 3.75.

Many older HDTVs allow the aspect ratio to be manually changed on 720p or 1080i HD content so the 5:3 pixels squished to 4:3 screen aspect work. However there is a widescreen flag in the HDMI signal such that newer TVs use this setting and only allow you to change the aspect on SD 480p/i content over HDMI.

My ASUS 1080p PC gaming monitor has no screen adjustment always uses square pixel aspect over DVI/HDMI regardless of resolution, so I get sidebars with less than widescreen ratios like 720x480 (NTSC) or classic PC resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc...).

Edited: 10/30/2016 at 09:45 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:28:31 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Well I forgot to say, I have it on 1:1 and I have the TV set to "normal". It also gets rid of the overscan.

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:11:12 PM
Traveller (7)
< Tourian Tourist >
New South Wales
Sorry for the bump, but I finally updated my AVS to the latest firmware. I've forgotten what each tick on the pixel aspect is now. All the way to the left is 1:1 and all the way to the right is full 16:9.

I remember I used to use the full width and then set the tv to 4:3, but I know there's other ticks in between that are integer scaled correctly.

There should be numbers on the slider still I think.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:18:13 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Traveller

Sorry for the bump, but I finally updated my AVS to the latest firmware. I've forgotten what each tick on the pixel aspect is now. All the way to the left is 1:1 and all the way to the right is full 16:9.

I remember I used to use the full width and then set the tv to 4:3, but I know there's other ticks in between that are integer scaled correctly.

There should be numbers on the slider still I think.

Yeah, if we ever get an update some day. Im not so sure whats up, hasnt been one in a year now or so.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:56:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Oddzball

Yeah, if we ever get an update some day. Im not so sure whats up, hasnt been one in a year now or so.

The second run took a lot of Bunnyboy's time, plus he's had health problems (per RetroUSB's FB.)

I've spoken to them recently and new updates are being worked on.

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:25:57 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Tulpa

The second run took a lot of Bunnyboy's time, plus he's had health problems (per RetroUSB's FB.)

Is he aware of the black screen issues with megacatstudios homebrew carts and the current firmware? (v1.20)

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:33:28 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Is he aware of the black screen issues with megacatstudios homebrew carts and the current firmware? (v1.20)

I don't know. I wasn't messaging support for that game.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:41:40 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Ok so I love my AVS and I am tweaking it to get the best possible picture on my older Samsung LCD. I am on 1.30 firmware and my TV has the ability to force 4:3 aspect ratio. Anyone have any advice on the best aspect ratio to use to bring it as close to playing an NES on a CRT?

I have tried this "Many older HDTVs allow the aspect ratio to be manually changed on 720p or 1080i HD content so the 5:3 pixels squished to 4:3 screen aspect work" but this seems too squished to my eyes. I believe this would be two clicks on the aspect bar and then force 4:3, correct?

I have tried filling the aspect bar and forcing 4:3 and that doesn't seem right either.

Right now I think the best is 4 ticks and force 4:3 but who knows. Any tips?

Thanks.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:18:31 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

1:1 (zero ticks) is a bit skinny IMO. I keep yo-yoing between 3.5:3 (two ticks) and 4:3 (four ticks / center). 3.75:1 is too uneven IMO. A lot of NES games use chessboard dithering which look acceptable using the 3.5 setting but not 3.75.

Many older HDTVs allow the aspect ratio to be manually changed on 720p or 1080i HD content so the 5:3 pixels squished to 4:3 screen aspect work. However there is a widescreen flag in the HDMI signal such that newer TVs use this setting and only allow you to change the aspect on SD 480p/i content over HDMI.

My ASUS 1080p PC gaming monitor has no screen adjustment always uses square pixel aspect over DVI/HDMI regardless of resolution, so I get sidebars with less than widescreen ratios like 720x480 (NTSC) or classic PC resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc...).

It seems you know a lot about what each tick on the bar is.  Can you list what ratio each tick is on the 1.3 firmware.  TIA

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:37:04 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington

Interpolation on the newest update has eliminated the need to do that. Set to the aspect that looks nice to you, and turn interpolation on... done  

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!