Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone into early 90's PC gaming? Apogee, Epic MegaGames, Id, etc

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:04:39 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Wondering if anyone here is interested in PC gaming from the early-mid 90s - you know, DOS, Win 3.1 through 98. I have very fond memories of Jill of the Jungle in particular, back when Epic Games was Epic MegaGames. I also made my dad buy those "25 Best Arcade Game" compilations they used to sell in software stores and WalMart. 

I think these games are semi-forgotten because it's so damn hard to get old computers up and running or even emulating them. Also, I have a large number of early-mid 90s computers that I am trying to optimize for retro PC gaming and sell. I'm also wondering if anyone would be interested in a vintage PC of this sort.

Memories? Opinions?

-------------------------
My FS thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:43:16 PM
Ethan4972 (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Hell yeah! PC gaming from that era is great! I would be interested in a pc from that era, I've been trying to find one at my local flea market.

my gameboy collection is coming along nicely!

Still looking for a gameboy light and gameboy micro!

Sega reference before I dip. -Fiery Reign at June 11 at 3:12:06 AM

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:52:40 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
I generally play these games one of three ways. On a laptop via dosbox (Unless it's win95 based), on my arcade machine, again, dosbox, or on my TV via my gaming PC. It's nice to take what was a PC game, and transform it via the magic of joy2key and hdmi output into what amounts to a console game.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:26:06 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ Agreed. There are a ton of games from that era that make the transition to the TV really well. (though it helps that a lot of them used a 320x240 resolution mode to get more colors out of the VGA limitations )

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:33:54 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
Yes I loved playing DOS games! Wolfenstein 3D, Jill of the Jungle, Commander Keen, Number Munchers, Eagle Eye Detectives...there are a bunch of others whose names escape me at the moment. A lot of it was very kiddy stuff, educational even like Math Blaster, Oregon Trail, etc. But I was really young and I liked the stuff anyway.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:48:44 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

I generally play these games one of three ways. On a laptop via dosbox (Unless it's win95 based), on my arcade machine, again, dosbox, or on my TV via my gaming PC. It's nice to take what was a PC game, and transform it via the magic of joy2key and hdmi output into what amounts to a console game.
DOSbox on an arcade machine? Like one of those custom cabinets with a PC inside? That's pretty cool. You've got those PC games mapped to real arcade controls? I'd love to see that!

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:24:04 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Oh yeah 90s PC gaming was great. I have fond memories of playing Epic Pinball, point-n-click adventures, and Indy Car with the full steering wheel/pedals setup. I'm thinking about making a mini DOS machine out of a Raspberry Pi, maybe even with a Pi-sized beige 90s PC case, hehe.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:27:57 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: NESMASTER14

Oh yeah 90s PC gaming was great. I have fond memories of playing Epic Pinball, point-n-click adventures, and Indy Car with the full steering wheel/pedals setup. I'm thinking about making a mini DOS machine out of a Raspberry Pi, maybe even with a Pi-sized beige 90s PC case, hehe.

That's pretty awesome. I've found that a lot of people are more interested in the case than the hardware inside! Those huge old cases - with the key/lock on the front and that LED display for the CPU or something, with like 6 slots for drives - they're worth real money now. I love the mini-retro case idea haha.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:31:16 PM
JustinParks (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I played a ton of old PC games while growing up in the 90s!

Some of my favourites are: Jazz Jackrabbit, Doom, Commander Keen, Halloween Harry, 8 Ball Deluxe, Eco Saurus, One Must Fall, Duke Nukem, Artillery Combat, Prince Of Persia, Blast, Classic Concentration and Simpsons Arcade Game.

Edited: 07/19/2015 at 09:33 PM by JustinParks

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:36:27 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Since I didn't have a console during those years, PC gaming was pretty much all I did. Some that I played a lot:

Bubble Ghost
The Last Ninja
Captain Comic
Rick Dangerous
ZZT
Tetris
Space Quest III
Star Control
Star Control 2
Battle Chess
DeathTrack
Rise of the Dragon
Adventures of Willy Beamish
Wolfenstein 3d
Lemmings
Commander Keen
Duke Nukem
Baal
Star Goose
Ancient Art of War at Sea
Silpheed
Thexder
Space Hulk
Neuromancer
Sim City
Robocop
Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O'Fun
Joust
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
Prince of Persia
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
F19 Stealth Fighter
Darkseed
Last Half of Darkness
Scorched Earth
VGA Sharks
Falcon AT
Hugo's House of Horrors
Space Station
Stunt Island
Test Drive
Veil of Darkenss
Syndicate
Archon
Islands of Danger
Budokan
Tongue of the Fatman

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:44:27 PM
BreaKBeatZ (59)
< Lolo Lord >
District of Columbia
RPGs were my favorite on the PC but I played a lot of the games above as well. Syndicate was AWESOME, I want to play it now.

My favorite non-RPG of the era was probably Master of Orion.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:50:56 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Was a huge fan of Prince of Persia, Doom, Sim City, Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny, Jane of the Jungle, Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Tetris, Out of this World, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Need for Speed 1, Then later came stuff like Descent, Quake, Diablo, Interstate '76, Duke Nukem 3D, Tomb Raider, Phantasmagoria, 7th Guest, and don't forget PC Demo disks. So many of those. You'd find bizarre games like Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, and 3D Haunted Mansion.

Instagram
Wishlist

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:04:36 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Let me see if I can even remember what all we had:

Commander Keen 1-5 (or maybe 6?)
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem 2
F-15 Strike Eagle II
Major Striker
Bio Menace
Mother Goose
Mega Man
Jill of the Jungle
Prince of Persia
Total War (or something like that, basically Risk)
Battle Chess
Wolfenstein 3D
Blake Stone
Castelian
Adventure
A game, probably Apogee, where you were a green guy and you had suction cups for hands
A Kroz game, or something that looked like a Kroz game

I'll have to keep thinking about it

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:47:56 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: 85collector

Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

DOSbox on an arcade machine? Like one of those custom cabinets with a PC inside? That's pretty cool. You've got those PC games mapped to real arcade controls? I'd love to see that!

Not anymore, lost the configs for 99% of them in a system upgrade.  Only ones that are still setup would be two windows apps, mugen and legend of princess

Since my joystick is programmable and can be set to analog, plus I have a spinner\steering wheel that works like a mouse with just the X axis, I've been meaning to set up doom and wolf3D on it. Use the stick for forward\back\strafe and the spinner to turn.  I can reach one button no problem on the joystick side (So that's fire), and two on the spinner side, I think for changing weapons.  Haven't decided how to do running yet.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:03:19 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Let me see if I can even remember what all we had:

A game, probably Apogee, where you were a green guy and you had suction cups for hands

"Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure" 

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:28:30 PM
Orpheon (2)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Aside from SNES, PC is where I started gaming. Some of my favorites from that era:

Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Hunter Hunted
Slamscape
POD
Chex Quest
Descent
Dark Forces 2

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:29:43 PM
Danimal Collective (50)
(Dan imal) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Pharaoh's Tomb starring Nevada Smith was my first game I ever played and I loved it. Also, big fan of Bolo Ball.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:32:20 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Danimal Collective

Pharaoh's Tomb starring Nevada Smith was my first game I ever played and I loved it. Also, big fan of Bolo Ball.
Did you ever play through Monuments of Mars?

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:20:07 PM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Do King's Quest V and VI count?

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:59:52 PM
Danimal Collective (50)
(Dan imal) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

No, what is that?!? Sounds amazing. A Pharaoh's Tomb expansion? I did clock in quite a few hours on Mother Goose All Mixed Up or something like that, I forget the title. I haven't thought about it in probably over 20 years. I need to download DOS box.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:05:55 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

No, what is that?!? Sounds amazing. A Pharaoh's Tomb expansion? I did clock in quite a few hours on Mother Goose All Mixed Up or something like that, I forget the title. I haven't thought about it in probably over 20 years. I need to download DOS box.

It is a parallel release with basically the same game engine.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:03:30 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois

Mixed-up Mother Goose was an 80's release, 1987. It was very good and a memorable game. The mid-to-late 80's had it's fair share of excellent computer games. King's Quest III comes to mind.

Instagram
Wishlist

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:18:03 PM
PrinceOfBrains (4)
(Tim Allen) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Man, I have nearly as many good memories of 90s PC shareware stuff as I do console gaming! Let's see...I played Jazz Jackrabbit all the time and wondered why it was never on the Genesis. I used to call the neighbors over to make them play the shareware demo of One Must Fall. DOOM is my favorite game of all time. I played the first episode of Hocus Pocus repeatedly. Duke Nukem 3D was the first game I ever played with my dad.

Here's one for you: there was an Epic/Apogee platformer whose name I've never been able to remember. You played as a buff blonde dude in a sleeveless grey shirt, who gets pulled into a different dimension of some kind and goes on an epic quest to save the day and escape, as they always do. Early to mid 90s, might have had a world map, might have started with an X. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

https://videotron2000.wordpress.com/ - Video-Tron 2000: LASER-BLOG OF THE FUTURE!
Newest Post: Dreamcast GDEMU Video Review

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:37:05 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: PrinceOfBrains

Man, I have nearly as many good memories of 90s PC shareware stuff as I do console gaming! Let's see...I played Jazz Jackrabbit all the time and wondered why it was never on the Genesis. I used to call the neighbors over to make them play the shareware demo of One Must Fall. DOOM is my favorite game of all time. I played the first episode of Hocus Pocus repeatedly. Duke Nukem 3D was the first game I ever played with my dad.

Here's one for you: there was an Epic/Apogee platformer whose name I've never been able to remember. You played as a buff blonde dude in a sleeveless grey shirt, who gets pulled into a different dimension of some kind and goes on an epic quest to save the day and escape, as they always do. Early to mid 90s, might have had a world map, might have started with an X. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

You're "might haves" are all correct: Xargon!! One of my faves too!

This might get you started: 

Man I want to break out my old PC now! 

Edited: 07/20/2015 at 10:37 PM by 85collector

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:41:34 PM
TheToxicCollector (59)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
New York
Pretty much the only PC games that I enjoyed playing were the Grand Theft Autos. Duke Nukems and I was obsessed with the Blade Runner Game. Roller Coaster Tycoon was fun also but I think that was a bit later.