Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Welcome to AVS Scoreboard Topic!

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:50:46 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: pegboy

Turbo pause/slo-mo is still cheating but I imagine there would be a (would be case by case, probably non-trivial) way to check for pause abuse. If they pause a certain number of times within a given time period then their score is invalid. You get the idea.
Actually some games check for this internally. For instance, if you use a slo-mo controller with Ms Pacman (Tengen), about halfway through the stage the NES will ignore the start button and you will be unable to pause for the remainder of the game.

Other games that play a sound byte upon pause or use the pause menu for map, inventory, or other use, tend to not work well with Slo-Mo. Some ignore A/B inputs if the button is pressed while the game is paused. Galaxian is one example where sometimes shots will fire and sometimes they won't. 

Out of curiosity, has this behavior been analyzed in a debugger?

Is it literally checking within a single level?  Or does the game give you some kind of "total allowance" for pause actions?

-------------------------

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:24:10 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: MathUser2929

If you haven't already added it. There should be a prompt when you can submit a score. 
Not possible (without more expensive hardware).

Also, do you have to plug it into the computer while you play to submit the score? 
Yup, there is other verification and info like the timer.

Or can you archive the score and do them all at once.
The cart has to be verified at the time of playing so archiving can't happen (without more expensive hardware).

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:38:34 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Turbo pause/slo-mo is still cheating but I imagine there would be a (would be case by case, probably non-trivial) way to check for pause abuse. If they pause a certain number of times within a given time period then their score is invalid. You get the idea.
Actually some games check for this internally. For instance, if you use a slo-mo controller with Ms Pacman (Tengen), about halfway through the stage the NES will ignore the start button and you will be unable to pause for the remainder of the game.

Other games that play a sound byte upon pause or use the pause menu for map, inventory, or other use, tend to not work well with Slo-Mo. Some ignore A/B inputs if the button is pressed while the game is paused. Galaxian is one example where sometimes shots will fire and sometimes they won't. 

Is it literally checking within a single level?  Or does the game give you some kind of "total allowance" for pause actions?

I remember playing Mrs Pacman Tengen with 30Hz Slo-Mo (Start button toggled every frame). Not long into the stage, gameplay resumes at full speed and I am unable to pause the game again until after a Game Over Event. It is repeatable, on real hardware. I set controller to 15Hz Slo-Mo (2 frames on, two frames off) and got a bit further into the maze before the same thing happened again. Pausing disabled for rest of game. Not sure but I think it counts the number of times the game is paused and after some predetermined amount, disables the feature. Anyone can test this game with an NES Advantage if they want to. Pause function will be disabled well before you beat the first maze.

Edit: Yup. Slo-Mo works with NES Advantage... For about 20 seconds!  

Fun fact: I just booted "Ms Pacman (Unl).nes" on my PowerPak and got the same "bad dump" the Retrofreak gave me with the original game cart...  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 09/15/2016 at 02:01 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:30:38 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I remember playing Mrs Pacman Tengen with 30Hz Slo-Mo (Start button toggled every frame). Not long into the stage, gameplay resumes at full speed and I am unable to pause the game again until after a Game Over Event. It is repeatable, on real hardware. I set controller to 15Hz Slo-Mo (2 frames on, two frames off) and got a bit further into the maze before the same thing happened again. Pausing disabled for rest of game. Not sure but I think it counts the number of times the game is paused and after some predetermined amount, disables the feature. Anyone can test this game with an NES Advantage if they want to. Pause function will be disabled well before you beat the first maze.

Edit: Yup. Slo-Mo works with NES Advantage... For about 20 seconds!  

Fun fact: I just booted "Ms Pacman (Unl).nes" on my PowerPak and got the same "bad dump" the Retrofreak gave me with the original game cart...  

Here I just made this Game Genie code

Ms Pac-Man (Tengen)
Game Genie code:  VOXEYKVV - Turn off 'pause disabled after 255 pauses'

Edited: 09/15/2016 at 07:33 AM by Mog

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:42:15 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Just want to say I'm lovin' the Scoreboard so far! IIRC, someone is porting it to Raspberry Pi? Definitely looking forward to that. Having a small-footprint device I can quickly boot-up/leave on that both powers the AVS and allows scoreboard would be ideal.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:16:52 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Mog

Here I just made this Game Genie code

Ms Pac-Man (Tengen)
Game Genie code:  VOXEYKVV - Turn off 'pause disabled after 255 pauses'

Nice, thank you!  

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:48:39 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Pretty please add Jaws to the scoreboard!  

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:05:21 AM
[matt] (0)
< Cherub >
Is there a way for members to delete their scores? Somehow my score for Cobra Triangle got submitted about 15x larger than it actually was.

Feel free to delete it.. it kinda stands out which one it is haha

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:10:50 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: mattbec

Is there a way for members to delete their scores? Somehow my score for Cobra Triangle got submitted about 15x larger than it actually was.

Feel free to delete it.. it kinda stands out which one it is haha

Funny cause I just took a rapid glance at the scoreboard high score and that Cobra Triangle socre was just unreal to me. You have to leech 1 up for a ridiculously long time to get that score, lol. I'm glad to hear you didn't do it for real.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:38:40 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
^^At least he's honest!  

mattbec welcome to nintendoage!  

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:54:28 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Oh baby, where's that Mog at? Now that my daughter is starting to play games and actually figure it out, WE'LL BE BACK. Going to get this for my RETURN.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:09:34 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: Stan

Oh baby, where's that Mog at? Now that my daughter is starting to play games and actually figure it out, WE'LL BE BACK. Going to get this for my RETURN.

Oh Im here. But I don't think you want any of this. Didn't you learn last time?   

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:30:00 PM
AlexKunio (24)
(Alex Ryan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I've been having some fun with Scoreboard and had a thought last night when I played through Ninja Gaiden (& still got 2nd to Mog!! ><).

Would it be possible/feasible to do one of those NA notifications (like when you get a message, or even to just really get a message) for scores? I thought it would be cool if you're #1 and it notifies you that someone else took your #1 position. For anything other than #1 it would probably end up being too many notifications (or maybe 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

Just an idea!

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:12:12 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Marble Madness
It's going to be me    Actually so far my highest score has been 159,000.
I plan on getting a scoreboard eventually just have some other things I have to do first

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Edited: 09/27/2016 at 07:12 AM by Megamanfan

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:33:04 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia

This is your end, Mog, that score in Trog was merely the beginning. Your video game soul shall be mine. My only weakness is Galaxian, all other games are my pets.

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:18:36 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

This is your end, Mog, that score in Trog was merely the beginning. Your video game soul shall be mine. My only weakness is Galaxian, all other games are my pets.

Galaxian. I'm an Atari fan so that's right up my alley. Smallest commercial release at only an 8kb PRG ROM. Looking forward to getting my AVS and I know exactly what game to beat you with!  

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:09:34 PM
JonnyD (0)
< Cherub >
Sorry if this has already been covered, but has anyone had Scoreboard just randomly reset back to zero? I've hardly been able upload any scores due to this happening almost every time I play. From the log, it looks like it thinks it lost connection with the device. I don't know if there's something wrong with my computer, the AVS, the USB cord, or what. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:38:49 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Hope they get this resolved and @JonnyD welcome to NA!  

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:42:00 PM
JonnyD (0)
< Cherub >
I feel like a dunce, but I think it may have been the cord. Found another one and was able to submit a new score. I'll chime back in if it turns out it wasn't. Thanks.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:32:22 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia

Galaxian. I'm an Atari fan so that's right up my alley. Smallest commercial release at only an 8kb PRG ROM. Looking forward to getting my AVS and I know exactly what game to beat you with!  
Yeah that's the one game I just can't get a good groove with for some reason. I think I broke over 100K but my main competition in that Atari 2600 comp a few years back doubled it or was close.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:48:44 PM
Mog (140)

Yeah that's the one game I just can't get a good groove with for some reason. I think I broke over 100K but my main competition in that Atari 2600 comp a few years back doubled it or was close.

Look at this guy, already making excuses about why he can't beat me. 

Where's your AVS Stan? Scared? Don't give me any of your lame excuses either. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:03:45 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia

Look at this guy, already making excuses about why he can't beat me. 

Where's your AVS Stan? Scared? Don't give me any of your lame excuses either. 
I didn't buy one yet! I need to wait until November or so until I can, we're getting some new doors installed. And then your death begins as I hone my skills again.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:53:53 AM
Ninjatemper (0)
< Cherub >
Ontario
Anyone else having trouble with the Scoreboard application crashing randomly when you're checking high scores or trying to submit a high score? I've lost a few really good runs due to this   Doesn't happen consistently, but happens often enough to make going for a high score run a daunting idea.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:21:26 PM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: Ninjatemper

Anyone else having trouble with the Scoreboard application crashing randomly when you're checking high scores or trying to submit a high score? I've lost a few really good runs due to this   Doesn't happen consistently, but happens often enough to make going for a high score run a daunting idea.

Yeah, I have the same issue. I also tried to run the Scoreboard Software on different Laptops, but no difference. 

> Seppatoni's Zockerstübchen

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:26:22 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Random crashes when interfacing an external website through internet connection of unknown quality are not easy to diagnose. Hopefully Brian gets them ironed out.