NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How's everybody like the AVS?

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:32:28 PM
Ray Bot (82)
(Ray Bot) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana
I LOVE IT!

cant get my ducktales to work though. gonna try with a friends and see whats up. everything else from my collection has worked flawlessly.

we even beat Guerrilla War to celebrate Castro's death!

-------------------------
Super Nintendo Sega Genesis, when i was dead broke man i couldn't picture this.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:10:50 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Ray Bot

I LOVE IT!

cant get my ducktales to work though. gonna try with a friends and see whats up. everything else from my collection has worked flawlessly.

Obligatory green strip question.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:54:30 AM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
It says Tecmo Bowl isn't compatible when I go to check the high scores of the game.  Am I missing something?

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:52:38 AM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Originally posted by: Dr.Graffin

It says Tecmo Bowl isn't compatible when I go to check the high scores of the game.  Am I missing something?

What country are you in? Are you playing on cartridge or flash cartridge?

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:59:42 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Is Track and Field turned back on yet?

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:26:27 AM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I'm in the US.  I just got an Everdrive N8 in the mail yesterday.  It played Tecmo Bowl fine, but wouldn't recognize it for scoring.  It's also had problems with both Mike Tyson's Punchout and regular Punchout.  It freezes the system when I select either game.  More specifically it gives me a grey screen during the freeze.

Edited: 12/06/2016 at 03:25 PM by Dr.Graffin

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:42:00 AM
John198X (0)
(John -) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Love it. So much.
Got mine toward the end of October, and I've played something on it just about every single day.

For the last year or so, I've gotten more and more interested in going the Framemeister/RGB route, but couldn't really justify that level of spending (this year, anyway). I ordered one of these as soon as I started seeing positive impressions. I think it's a wonderful alternative, if NES is one of your primary interests.

Looking for more information on it led me to NA... which led to the "Can NA beat" threads... which led me to re-start my own internal "games beaten" checklist... which has pretty much consumed all of my hobby time for the last 6 weeks.

So, yeah, I'm getting a lot out of it.

edit: Also, haven't had any issues with AVS + Everdrive. Maybe 2-3 freezes across many, many hours.

1,000 game challenge 10/22/16 - 03/23/19
532 Games Beaten * 
nes-308 * sms-42
tgx-17 gen-29 snes-43 * ps-22
ps2-4 * gb-55 * gbc-12

Edited: 12/06/2016 at 11:44 AM by John198X

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:05:27 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida

I'm in the US.  I just got an Everdrive N8 in the mail yesterday.  It played Tecmo Bowl fine, but wouldn't recognize it for scoring.  It's also had problems with both Mike Tyson's Punchout and regular Punchout.  It freezes the system when I select either game.  More specifically it gives me a grey screen during the freeze.

We tested with regular cartridge and Powerpak. Not sure what to tell you!

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:29:14 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana

I'd suggest you try the following:
1) Format the SD card
2) Copy the newest EDFC firmware/OS over from a fresh download from krikzz
3) Use a rom set like the smokemonster rom set which is more curated and more likely to be a known/good. (google it and you'll find where to download it)

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:28:18 PM
Ray Bot (82)
(Ray Bot) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana

I LOVE IT!

nope. doesnt do anything at all. 

Super Nintendo Sega Genesis, when i was dead broke man i couldn't picture this.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:55:11 AM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
I'm new to the AVS and Everdrive and I found out what the problem was.  I unknowingly bought a clone Everdrive N8 on Ebay from a seller named cynopsys.  He has 100% feedback but when I asked him about the cart he acknowledged it was "a generic Everdrive" which has problems on the AVS (Which a real Everdrive wouldn't).  On the ad it mentions not being Krikzz compliant, but being new to everything I overlooked that.  I think on the ad it also says the firmware can't be updated, which I believe on a real Everdrive it can be.  In my defense, the label of game and on the box it does still say Krikzz, so I don't feel completely dumb as it seems to want to mimic the real thing.

​So that's why Mike Tyson's Punchout and regular Punchout didn't work, PLUS also why Tecmo Bowl doesn't show up for submitting a high score.  I didn't buy a real Everdrive N8.  But I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions people provided. 

Still loving the AVS, just not the clone/"generic" cart.

Edited: 12/07/2016 at 02:05 AM by Dr.Graffin

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:00:08 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I LOVE IT!

nope. doesnt do anything at all. 

No, he means is there a green mask strip on the edge of the pins. Take a flashlight and see if you can see it. Or alternatively, open the cart and look at the pin edges.

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:08:50 AM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana

I'm new to the AVS and Everdrive and I found out what the problem was.  I unknowingly bought a clone Everdrive N8 on Ebay from a seller named cynopsys.  He has 100% feedback but when I asked him about the cart he acknowledged it was "a generic Everdrive" which has problems on the AVS (Which a real Everdrive wouldn't).  On the ad it mentions not being Krikzz compliant, but being new to everything I overlooked that.  I think on the ad it also says the firmware can't be updated, which I believe on a real Everdrive it can be.  In my defense, the label of game and on the box it does still say Krikzz, so I don't feel completely dumb as it seems to want to mimic the real thing.

​So that's why Mike Tyson's Punchout and regular Punchout didn't work, PLUS also why Tecmo Bowl doesn't show up for submitting a high score.  I didn't buy a real Everdrive N8.  But I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions people provided. 

Return it as not as described. He puts Everdrive in the auction title, uses it in the imagry and in the description. 
Fact is it's not an everdrive and he knows it.

For the amount they sell it for you can get a genuine one from stoneagegamer.com

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:47:16 PM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: AaronE

Return it as not as described. He puts Everdrive in the auction title, uses it in the imagry and in the description. 

For the amount they sell it for you can get a genuine one from stoneagegamer.com

Are the ones sold by Retrogate legit Everdrive N8 carts?  Just like the type sold by stoneage gamer?  Just want to make sure whatever I buy next is compatible with the AVS.

Edited: 12/07/2016 at 02:47 PM by Dr.Graffin

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:49:39 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana

Originally posted by: AaronE

Are the ones sold by Retrogate legit Everdrive N8 carts?  Just like the type sold by stoneage gamer?  Just want to make sure whatever I buy next is compatible with the AVS.

Anyone on this list here is legit https://krikzz.com/store/content/...

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:49:45 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Why not get one direct from Krikzz?
https://krikzz.com/store/home/31-...

Edit: too slow.  

Edited: 12/07/2016 at 02:51 PM by Tulpa

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:55:20 PM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
Thank you very much for the list. I'm impatient, which is the reason I want it asap, but also the reason I was a dummy and bought a clone by mistake. I don't like to wait, but I'd rather wait then buy a fake elsewhere. I'd assume shipping from Krikzz takes a long time.  But buying directly from him is probably the most safe option to know I have a legit product.

Edited: 12/07/2016 at 02:56 PM by Dr.Graffin

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:57:59 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Krikzz says they ship 15-20 days.

https://krikzz.com/store/content/...

Any of those will have the real thing if you want it a little faster.

Edited: 12/07/2016 at 02:58 PM by Tulpa

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:11:59 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
^ as Tulpa said any of those stores in that list will send you a legit everdrive.

In the US use stoneagegamer.com to get it the fastest.
In Canada use http://www.gamersection.ca/...

You don't have your location set on your NA profile Dr. Graffin so I don't know where you should order from specifically.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:37:41 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Or you could just buy a retroUSB PowerPak to match your retroUSB AVS   Won't even have to worry about fakes or compatibility!

http://www.retrousb.com/product_i...

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:52:59 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Stone age gamer shipped fast to me in the US. Maybe 3-4 days?

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:51:45 AM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: KaiserGX

Stone age gamer shipped fast to me in the US. Maybe 3-4 days?
I ended up going with Stoneage Gamer.  Got to pick some custom cart colors.  Thanks for the suggestions and information everyone.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:46:39 PM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >

We tested with regular cartridge and Powerpak. Not sure what to tell you!

Bought a legit Tecmo Bowl and it worked like a charm.  Thanks for adding that.  I think I just played nearly a perfect game to get to 63 points.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:57:26 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I recently got a Raspberry Pi just to test it out. I always hear people telling me to get one instead of just having a collection of carts. I said it was cheap, why not see what its all about? Well I can already notice a big difference in input lag compared to the AVS using the same TV, both HDMI. I don't like playing without scan lines and if I add any effects or borders it just increases the lag. I'll be returning mine and stick with the NES king. I don't see how this is the ultimate retro gaming experience when I have played with the AVS. I really appreciate what Bunnyboy was able to do with the device now.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:22:56 PM
Phosis (1)
< Cherub >
I am happy with the AVS. It has gotten me back into NES collecting, a hobby i had to abandon a couple of years ago due to bad financial problems.

I haven't run into any problems with it yet, but I also got mine in December; wife bought it for me for Xmas. Overall, it's really nice.