NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Odd/Rare Variants Running Total List v3

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:33:55 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: PowerPlayers

There is a non-HT Stinger Box out there, so it's a full on legit variant.

3-Screw DK Math, and 5-Screw R.C. Pro-Am freak me out though.

3 Screw DK Math never had a reprint.  Date codes were still mid 86, like original prints.  But for stinger, id have to check the date codes on those.  AFAIK it only got one print.  If it is a legit 3 screw, it might have been at the extreme end of the print run.

-------------------------
Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 27, 2018 at 10:01:28 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
If you look back in V2 of this thread, the guy with the other Stingers besides me found one with the correct box, I thought, making that one legit.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:30:20 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey

^ CIB Non-Hangtab 3-Screw Stinger

I also still haven't verified M.U.S.C.L.E. or Gumshoe yet  

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:38:45 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Id like to see the chips on that one. As for MUSCLE or Gumshoe, they would need a reprint. All the rarer black box 3 screws were reprinted in late 87. I would imagine Soccer and Gumshoe for their poor sales never got one. Gyromite, DK, DKJr, and Volleyball all were reprinted in like Nov of 87.

Im still weary on Stinger because of its stupid rarity. Only ONE box ever found? And the 3 screws I saw were all the same date code as the originals. A new box means a new reprint, but there should be at least some more 3 screw stingers then. I find it hard to believe there would be so few around if it got a reprint.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.

Feb 27, 2018 at 10:13:49 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Id like to see the chips on that one. As for MUSCLE or Gumshoe, they would need a reprint. All the rarer black box 3 screws were reprinted in late 87. I would imagine Soccer and Gumshoe for their poor sales never got one. Gyromite, DK, DKJr, and Volleyball all were reprinted in like Nov of 87.

Im still weary on Stinger because of its stupid rarity. Only ONE box ever found? And the 3 screws I saw were all the same date code as the originals. A new box means a new reprint, but there should be at least some more 3 screw stingers then. I find it hard to believe there would be so few around if it got a reprint.

Here's another one with the board.

Latest date appears to be 8747, So Nov. 16 - 22, 1987 is when the last chip was printed.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:29:14 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
That is really, really strange. The print of the PRG chip is still the same as it was for all the other Stingers. Something odds goin in here.

Edited: 02/28/2018 at 09:09 AM by guitarzombie

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:50:59 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey

That is really, really strange. The print of the PRG chip is still the same as it was for all the other Stingers. Something odds goin in hear.

Maybe, there is one thing that *is* missing from the thread with the board pics is the lack of a "REV-A" stamp on the box, indicating to me that it's A.) A fake, B.) A mismatched CIB, or even C.) possibly a third CIB variant between hangtab and non-hangtab? Sucks there's no board pics on the REV-A box, but you gotta work with what you got I suppose.

Still, with at least 1 confirmed CIB, a potential second, NES Gangsta's 2x copies, and Ferris Beuller's copy...that's 5 cartridges known to exist in collector hands. More than enough to consider it an authentic variant. Just a single photo of a confirmed non-Hangtab box isn't enough to fully accept the box variant though. Gotta have at least another box to popup before actually calling it, and a third would cement it in.

Everyone thought 5-Screw Stadium Events didn't exist and was only a theoretical item, but then one popped up and is now in the hands of a DreamTR-tier collector (who respecfully wishes to remain anonymous)....and then a Loose+Manual popped up in Morgansville, NJ on craigslist....and then a CIB popped up in Cleveland, Ohio in an estate sale.

There's a lot of stuff still waiting to be discovered. One day we'll see a AGCI Wally Bear CIB, and a Sharedata Chiller CIB. Maybe even some instructions in the form of a sheet of paper for NWC Gold (how else will they know how to use NWC!). I want to see more original Sachen artwork, and just recently a new Gluk game was discovered by a collector on Instagram (Comando de Lobos) Maybe some former BANDAI employees from Allendale, NJ might have a prototype Family Fun Fitness: Dance Aerobics prototype box. Who knows what's really still out there.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:16:23 AM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
*edit* Saw MTPO on ebay with a "new label", kind of makes me sad  . Didnt touch it since (obviously) cant verify cart was originally 5-screw.

Side note, I should check the chiller box I just got when I get home...same lot that had the MI in it..double gold perhaps? (99% sure im not that lucky, if I am, buying a lotto ticket tonight)

Edited: 02/28/2018 at 12:33 PM by Woobie

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:36:41 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Just got a hold of a 5-screw silent service locally at the flea market ha ha.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:12:57 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas
Put me down for Ski or Die, 5 Screw. Double label, just like Laketown's.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:29:31 PM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Interesting not only is this game the first time that a double label has appeared on a kanomi ultra oddity cart it's the first double label I've seen that appears multiple times on the same game for NES.
I wonder if there was something wrong with the label underneath

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:04:33 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas
Originally posted by: hybrid

Interesting not only is this game the first time that a double label has appeared on a kanomi ultra oddity cart it's the first double label I've seen that appears multiple times on the same game for NES.
I wonder if there was something wrong with the label underneath

It's really hard to show this stuff in pictures when it's this minute and detailed, but mine appears that it doesn't go all the way up. You can see it start at the bottom and is a perfect double, you can follow it about 3/4 of the way up on the left side, and then it ends underneath. I rubbed my finger along the label, trying to see if it was going to be a clean line/crease that's would leave a ridge, but I couldn't really feel anything. I was originally concerned because of the rental stickers, thinking it would be a relabel of a popular game, but you can see the offset colors on the side that's it's two Ski or Die labels on top of each other.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:39:25 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
You can put me down for a 5 screw Jackal variant.....fun finally finding something of consequence to add to this thread! Equally as fun seeing only 2 others on the forum have reported owning it!

It comes with a box and manual, but I'm skeptical these belong to the cart. The seal on the box is black and the seal on the cart the newer version.

I'll post pics when it arrives.

NQ

Edited: 06/25/2018 at 10:16 PM by NesQuest

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:56:55 AM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
ok got the two that provided pics NesQuest I will add your name once you provide pics

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:13:54 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >

Here are the images of my 5 screw Jackal.  It was delivered with a box and instructions, but I’m skeptical these originally accompanied this copy.

I also was curious about the boards, so I opened it for comparison. The left is the board in the 3 screw version, and the right is the 5 screw version.

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 08:47 PM by NesQuest

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:30:45 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >

ok got the two that provided pics NesQuest I will add your name once you provide pics

Let me know if you need anything else for credit.   Pics in the above post!  Thanks!

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:07:20 PM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
just out of curosity more than anything can i get a close up of the 5 screw board?

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:52:55 AM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >

just out of curosity more than anything can i get a close up of the 5 screw board?

I cropped the original image and uploaded. I can take a clearer image this evening after work.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:14:21 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I see the date code is 8831, the earliest production code on bootgod is 8832 so perhaps these WERE demo or in house carts? Especially if they're always missing the back label.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:18:21 AM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >

I see the date code is 8831, the earliest production code on bootgod is 8832 so perhaps these WERE demo or in house carts? Especially if they're always missing the back label.

Interesting...I have a silent service and mission impossible that are both 3 and 5 screw versions...When I get home I will snap some photos and see if the trend continues 

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:48:38 AM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >

I too found it very curious.  

And this cart is also missing the rear label.  I'll see if I can grab sharper images this evening. 

I'd also be curious to see board pics of others in this thread.  You could be on to something Zombie  

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:26:29 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas
Put me down for 5 Screw Metal Gear. Came from a kids collection being sold by a dad. I don't think it was pieced together, I believe it was purchased new and came in this box.

Edited: 06/28/2018 at 12:26 PM by Ferris Bueller

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:48:37 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

Put me down for 5 Screw Metal Gear. Came from a kids collection being sold by a dad. I don't think it was pieced together, I believe it was purchased new and came in this box.

Should it be noted that both of us have the REV-A box (black seal) and the labled on the carts have the grey seal?  ......not sure if that's anything to note.

Edited: 06/28/2018 at 12:48 PM by NesQuest

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:56:21 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas
Originally posted by: NesQuest
Should it be noted that both of us have the REV-A box (black seal) and the labled on the carts have the grey seal?  ......not sure if that's anything to note.

I'm still really uncertain about boxes, but I know RayBot said he bought his Contra as a kid, had it his entire life, and up till like a year ago was the only known 5 Screw copy. I believed some of these variants were sold, but would not say all of them just yet. Refurbs or demo carts are still in the realm of possibility.

I always ask for background on the carts. In this case, they didn't know what they had, so I told them what it was and asked for some info. This game was part of a collection that was sold by a dad, the buyer was piecing out what they bought from the dad. Alongside the rest of what they had, this felt like it was the childhood copy and it stayed together all these years. Because of that, I felt it was worth mentioning.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:10:57 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >

Originally posted by: NesQuest

I'm still really uncertain about boxes, but I know RayBot said he bought his Contra as a kid, had it his entire life, and up till like a year ago was the only known 5 Screw copy. I believed some of these variants were sold, but would not say all of them just yet. Refurbs or demo carts are still in the realm of possibility.

I always ask for background on the carts. In this case, they didn't know what they had, so I told them what it was and asked for some info. This game was part of a collection that was sold by a dad, the buyer was piecing out what they bought from the dad. Alongside the rest of what they had, this felt like it was the childhood copy and it stayed together all these years. Because of that, I felt it was worth mentioning.

I guess that might lend credence to the thought that they were carts that got sent off to be refurbed? If they bought a copy of the game, brought home, didnt work. Then they sent off to get it refurbed and it came back as a 5-screw, the box would probably just be the same old 3-screw box. Demo ones seems more likely they would of not even had a box / manual / etc for it