Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Super Mario Bros. Contest ends Sunday, 2/9/14 at 11 PM NA time

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:15:32 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: jump_man95

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Originally posted by: jump_man95

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

• No turtle hopping trick allowed (specifically, no continuous hopping on one turtle to earn points.  Not everyone is skilled enough to pull this off)

I'd like some clarifications about this. Is it forbidding what we usually call the 1up trick?

If yes, is it the only thing that is actually forbidden?

I would assume that is the "turtle hopping trick" since it is the only real score-racking technique in the game.

Though it may extend to repeatedly kicking a turtle or beetle that gets trapped between two pipes.

I worry that some may find this restriction rediculous and ignore it, while others will begrudgingly follow the rule.
And I have a question of my own about the "1 life" rule. Does this mean that we must intentionally kill ourselves twice before we may begin scoring points? Also does that mean we are not allowed to collect 1-up mushrooms? And about the "one playthrough" rule, Does that mean that if we are able to beat the game, we must pause before the game begins again. And we have to submit the score then, and not continue the game that would then play at a higher difficulty?

When it comes to the 1-life rule, you do not intentionally kill yourself to get to your last life.  You play with the first life given to you at the start of the game.  While it's not forbidden to collect 1-up mushrooms, there's really no point in doing it since you're only allowed one life.  And if anyone thinks they are going to collect extra lives and try to cheat the system by playing with more than one life and claiming they only died once, don't even think about.  Anyone doing this will be banned from the contests.  For the one playthrough rule, you must take your picture when you rescue the princess.  You can pause the game on this screen, so it shouldn't be difficult to get a picture.  If you beat the game and let it continue on to the second playthrough, your score will not count.  The reason I'm only allowing one playthrough is so the contest doesn't become a tedious grind.

Also, you will have to resubmit the score you posted since there should be no pictures taken on the Title Screen since it doesn't prove you played the game with one life.

To answer some more questions:
  • VC versions of the game are okay as long as they are not different from the NES version.  In other words, they should be the exact same game.  SMB on Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES will not be allowed.
  • I'm making a change to the rules so that no turtle or beetle hopping tricks will be allowed.  It's okay to hop on a turtle or beetle and send the shell flying into enemies, but continuously bouncing a shell off a pipe, wall, etc to rack up points will be forbidden.

Okay, well that clears eveything up, but it also means my score is illegitimate. And I wouldn't be surprised if other peoples scores are also illegitimate. Plus, this changes pretty much eveything else. I think that this revision/clarification of the rules should be reiterated on the very first post of this thread, and messages are sent all throughout NA to make sure everyone understands the rules. It may be wise to even go so far as to postpone the cut-off date for SMB submissions. So everything can be straightend-out, and people given enough time to retry at legit high-scores.

I did change the rules on the first post yesterday afternoon, so everything is current (Actually, I need to add a tidbit about using the VC version).  Rules changes are made all the time and typically are done on either Monday or Tuesday while the contest is still relatively new.  Actually, all I did was further clarify the turtle hopping rule, which was there from the beginning.  For something minor, such as turtle hopping, the end date will not change and there's no need to send out a site-wide message.  If I have to make major changes to a contest then I usually consider pushing the end-date back, but this rarely ever happens.  These contests are pretty laid back and not super formal.  I know you're new to the contests, and I'm not trying to sound nasty when I say this, but please don't call out scores in the thread.  I'm sure there's nothing malicious behind the bolded part and you're just pointing out the rule change, but these kinds of things should be messaged to me.  The reason I ask this is that calling out scores sends everyone into a frenzy and that's when unnecessary drama can start.  When that happens, the threads derail rather quickly and then people avoid the contest thread because they don't want to get caught up in an argument.  And this goes out to everyone: let's have a drama free year in the Weekly Contests and just have fun playing NES

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:24:39 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: Dennis Fleaman

^^ get yourself a powerpak so you can play USA games.
Most of the nes pirate consoles are ntsc so check your pirate consoles if you have some.
Does that fix the PAL vs NTSC timing?  I thought the clock in the console itself was different.

YES ! Because the pirate console plays ntsc and pal but can't play pal only games. PAL gamers fooled again.The pirate is a ntsc console.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:32:26 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I hope SMB is a kick starter to get lots of new players involved this year! Great scores so far everyone! And where are you Fatalfuryspecial? I know you were kicking butt in that SMB fastest to 100 coins contest,so I expect to see an awesome score from you.

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:09:38 PM
Velinos (11)

(Noah ) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
This will be my first weekly contest, but I am going to need a little practice before submitting my score. It has been years since I played this game and I found out last night that I cannot just pick up the game cold and expect a winning score.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:19:15 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
Score: 576150
Level 6-4

Beat my high score, and even did it a couple levels before where I died last time. I'll probably do a few more runs before the week is over,.

"Do Not Give Energy to the Life Core!"

Edited: 02/04/2014 at 09:44 PM by PekoponGB

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:57:06 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia

Damn 6-4.  That board, more times than not, gives me trouble.  I really love Super Mario Bros., and I use to play the hell out of it.  This was my first attempt and it will, regrettably, probably be my last as I am a bit under the weather with allergies, but who knows.  Perhaps I'll give it another go later this week.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:08:46 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
YAY! Contest is back!

here comes by shitty start...which im sure will get better...

but

i dont even care bc i just score DINOSAUR PEAK!! BOOM!

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:16:53 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Congrats on that find man! How much have you paid for it?

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:19:41 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

I never was much of a points guy in this game, so I'm more so concentrating on how far I can get this week.

This was my first run and after practicing some last week, I'm pleasantly surprised by how far I got, though my score won't be any better than participation point material. I'll keep trying to improve, though I was a massive luck box to even get this far so this may be it already for me.

Edited: 02/04/2014 at 08:19 PM by EgasKrad

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:37:06 PM
renderling (7)
< Little Mac >
New York
Here's my first shot:

442050 / World 5-2

Edit: added score/stage to top of post.

Now Playing: Mega Man X
Twitter | Bitbucket | GitHub

Edited: 02/04/2014 at 10:07 PM by renderling

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:38:00 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
To the regulars: Glad to see you back!
To the newcomers: Glad to see you here! These are tons of fun and I hope you become regulars!

And I had to post this as is what I hear in my head when I'm in the 4th stage of any world.

Edited: 02/04/2014 at 08:50 PM by gutsman004

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:59:45 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
821,900 - World 8-3

Let's play "Guess How I Died?"

I'm really happy with this run but I was hoping I would beat it instead. =) I might have a run or two in me later on in the week.

Funny side story ... a few years ago one of my friends came over to hang out and he wanted to play Mario. So we set up 2-player and I was the second player. He died I think in 1-2, and then I took over as Luigi and beat the whole game on one life. It had been a few years since I had played Mario and that was the only time I've ever done that. My wife was watching and was impressed, my friend was annoyed. =P I guess what I'm trying to say is that this competition is right up my alley.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Edited: 02/04/2014 at 09:00 PM by arnpoly

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:05:52 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania

I feel like such a noob dying on this lvl bc its 2-2 in vsSMB

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:14:09 AM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
247,100 on 4-1. Focusing on distance now, then I'll focus on higher scores later. It's been fun so far.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:30:56 AM
Notrevania (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Scotland

^^ get yourself a powerpak so you can play USA games.
Most of the nes pirate consoles are ntsc so check your pirate consoles if you have some.
I thought a PowerPak can't be used when an emulator can't either. If PowerPaks are allowed then I don't have a pirate console, but I have a Famicom with an FC-NES adaptor so the NTSC games would run at the correct speed?

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:41:54 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
^^^ Just test your console. The music is a dead giveaway .You will hear if it running at 60HZ.

Never thought about the powerpak that way.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:49:38 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Just some fun questions for Bimmy.

1. Is a score made on a nwc 1990 cartridge legit?

2. Can you force rdrunner to play that way? With the timer we might stand a chance.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Edited: 02/05/2014 at 04:51 AM by Dennis Fleaman

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:31:41 AM
JHAOC (1)
< Little Mac >
Oh Yeah, the classic one!
I will compete!
Let me show you something!

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:30:26 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

2. Can you force rdrunner to play that way? With the timer we might stand a chance.

Well, since you asked, I might as well answer, since it's bound to come up soon enough anyway...

I have decided to retire from the NA contests, at least from "official" play.  While I definitely still plan on participating in the weekly challenges, I have asked Bimmy to disregard my scores, so that they do not affect the season standings.

Biggest reason why is the tournament prizes.  The weekly challenges are one thing since it's all just for fun, but I have won some seriously awesome stuff from winning the tournaments (by my count, Battle Kid, Nomolos, Mario Is Missing, and Die Hard).  More than my fair share, I feel.

So just in case you didn't have enough incentive to play well in these contests, this should be another one.  Good luck to everyone!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:59:28 AM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I hope SMB is a kick starter to get lots of new players involved this year! Great scores so far everyone! And where are you Fatalfuryspecial? I know you were kicking butt in that SMB fastest to 100 coins contest,so I expect to see an awesome score from you.

i am working on it but nothing postworthy yet. making a lot of mistakes in worlds 5-7 because i usually skip right over those. working on the endurance and studying where the good opportunities for scoring are. hopefully can post something tonight or tomorrow.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:23:10 AM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Well, since you asked, I might as well answer, since it's bound to come up soon enough anyway...

I have decided to retire from the NA contests, at least from "official" play.  While I definitely still plan on participating in the weekly challenges, I have asked Bimmy to disregard my scores, so that they do not affect the season standings.

Biggest reason why is the tournament prizes.  The weekly challenges are one thing since it's all just for fun, but I have won some seriously awesome stuff from winning the tournaments (by my count, Battle Kid, Nomolos, Mario Is Missing, and Die Hard).  More than my fair share, I feel.

So just in case you didn't have enough incentive to play well in these contests, this should be another one.  Good luck to everyone!

I hope you keep playing and posting.  Typically I only have the time or skill to post participation point level scores, but I like to see where the "bar" is for some of these games. 

Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:47:12 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
751,650 (Game Completed!)

Aaaaaand boom goes the dynamite. My fifth attempt of the day and my last. Time to retire this smelly hooker. As for you Marble Madness ...get the astro glide ready cause that ass is mine! Lol

Edited: 02/09/2014 at 06:48 PM by BriGuy82

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:40:58 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

I never was much of a points guy in this game, so I'm more so concentrating on how far I can get this week.

This was my first run and after practicing some last week, I'm pleasantly surprised by how far I got, though my score won't be any better than participation point material. I'll keep trying to improve, though I was a massive luck box to even get this far so this may be it already for me.

same here...just going for the participation point this week (though I haven't even picked up the controller yet).

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:53:41 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Ah man,sucks to see you bowing out of the comps. I feel that you make all of us better gamers with your extraordinary play on so many games. At least I can say I officially beat you once,which was pretty cool to do although I think overall head to head against you I have the same record that Glass Joe has.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:06:05 PM
razeak (11)
(Scott Edwards) < Crack Trooper >
United States

Wow what a stupid death lol. One bad twitch.

Xbox Live: razeak
PSN: cayrazeak
WiiU: razeak
3DS: 3067-5036-9177 razeak

Currently Playing:

Strider PS4
Lego Hobbit WiiU
Mario Kart 8 WiiU
Mega Man 3 NES