Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do you count Stadium Events towards a complete collection? Or does World Class Track Meet count?

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:44:45 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
For a complete collection it does indeed count all day long. However I'll never get it as I only try to collect games I'm going to play.

-------------------------

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:18:30 PM
WolfAlmighty (3)
(Wolfgang Abenteuer) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
Nintendo counts it on their official list on their own website, so I say it does. I'll never own it so the best I can hope for, NTSC-set-wise is 676, but oh well.

Then again, as an aside, Nintendo doesn't officially recognise the three Tengen games that were released while under license, so if anything I'd say Gauntlet, RBI Baseball, and Pacman (Tengen version) shouldn't count towards the set. But SE is definitely part of it, both officially and unofficially.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:29:41 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
(Anthony Lazzari) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Whether this is your first argument about SE or your 100th, SE still counts

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:32:41 PM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
yes, but I'd much rather have a complete Dreamcast,Gamecube or Saturn set than that one cart.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:32:50 PM
videogamehunter (56)
(Tyler Bartsch) < Ridley Wrangler >
Kentucky
Didn't we talk about this before and saying yes you need to have it to have a complete set.

My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/hotanime32   

New Video - Why You Should Get A Retron 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p...

My Drawings - http://videogamehunter.deviantart.com/

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:45:42 PM
Forte (109)
(God of Destruction) < Kraid Killer >
South Carolina
so I was sitting around trying to figure out how do I shot web, and then it hit me...STADIUM EVENTS

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:59:11 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Shinju

Originally posted by: wrk

Genesis > Nes ..... but ...... yes, it counts! BAM! Two debates in one suckahs!

Genesis does, what Nintendon't! Lulz burst processing!
It's blast processing and no, I still don't know what the fuck that even means.

I consider SE to be a variant but either way, I don't want a complete set. If I found it in the wild or a NWC for that matter, I'd flip it to get things I'd want to play. They're cool pieces of video game history sure, but I couldn't justify holding onto something that's gonna collect dust. That's what my sega master system and N64 games are for.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:21:40 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Personally even big payout aside I never counted it. When I was trying to wrangle up all the NES games I was going for a licensed set and it was delicensed to be rebranded with another name yet being the same game, the only game to do so. I suppose if I were going after unlicensed complete then yes I'd include it.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:33:01 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
just like most games......

If you have one or plan to get one then it counts.

If you don't have one then it doesn't count.

NES is unlike any other hobby that I know of in that the collectors pick and choose what games should count for others. If enough people feel a game doesn't "count" then it isn't even included in those game lists! No other hobby does this. If you pick up a coin book and scroll over the $20 Double Eagle coins at the bottom you will see an entry for 1933. WHY? Because it exists.

A retail US Stadium Events cart exists so naturally it should "count". If you say that you own every licensed US released title ever made then you either have this game or you are lying.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34:47 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Different product code = different game, must be counted. If anything WCTM came later so it is the variant - feel free to skip that one in your collection

This, it was first.  WCTM is the variant, so you could drop it if you like.

But bottom line is everyone collects what they want.  I think a more logical argument, is it was pulled from the shelf, so it was basically "Un"-released, as in undone.  If you don't WANT to collect it, then don't.  It's not that good of a game anyway. 

But it will never ever be removed from the NA list. 

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:35:55 PM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
If your talking complete NES collection then your going to need all the PAL exclusives too. If you really meant NTSC NES collection then Stadium Events is required, and not a custom repro of it either.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:38:17 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
To me, while the game is identical, it is a separate game due to a number of things:

1. Different name.
2. Different product code.
3. Different release.
4. Different title screen, so technically different game on the inside, too.

I consider SMB, SMB/DH, SMB/DH/WCTM all three different games as well for the reasons I listed above. So in short, in my opinion, if you want a complete licensed NTSC NES set, you do need Stadium Events.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:39:30 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: marvelus10

If your talking complete NES collection then your going to need all the PAL exclusives too. If you really meant NTSC NES collection then Stadium Events is required, and not a custom repro of it either.

An NTSC collection would include Famicom, and I guess, unlicensed..  I think we are talking North American Licensed list here though for sake of simplicity and on-topiceded-ness.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:42:21 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
If you own a SM/DH/WCTM cart and someone asks if you have "Super Mario Brothers" do you tell them no?

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:46:06 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Also why are the NWC carts not included? This site includes Star Fox and DKC competition carts in the SNES list so why not the NES list? Is it because they are "too hard to get"? I don't believe MBR/SR was ever released to stores either, yet that is counted? So many inconsistencies.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:50:47 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: pegboy

If you own a SM/DH/WCTM cart and someone asks if you have "Super Mario Brothers" do you tell them no?

Yep. I say, "I own the SMB/DH/WCTM cart. I've played Super Mario Bros., but I don't own the individual cartridge."

Originally posted by: pegboy

Also why are the NWC carts not included? This site includes Star Fox and DKC competition carts in the SNES list so why not the NES list? Is it because they are "too hard to get"? I don't believe MBR/SR was ever released to stores either, yet that is counted? So many inconsistencies.

I'd say that NWC doesn't count because it was a contest. It wasn't released in a retail or business environment. Even rental exclusives were released in a business environment and "retailed" (I use that word very loosely to prove a point) whenever businesses no longer found them profitable to rent out. So they were sold in a business setting. NWCs were not originally for that purpose. Some were give-aways (gold) and some were basically earned by making it to the end. That's why I'd say they don't count, they weren't commercial in a retail sort of way.

As for MBR/SR, I'm not familiar enough with it to comment.

Edited: 08/21/2012 at 10:53 PM by Nightowljrm

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:51:26 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
Pennsylvania

I tell them yes, but its the 3 in 1 version containing WCTM and DH, not the black box release for SMB stand alone.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:51:35 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I'd say the NWC carts aren't because they weren't licensed retail games. Stadium Events was (albeit shortly), and therefore does count. I don't have it and doubt I ever will, doesn't really change the fact that if you really want a complete licensed set, you're going to need that one.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Edited: 08/21/2012 at 11:41 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:56:11 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: JD

Originally posted by: Nightowljrm

Yep. I say, "I own the SMB/DH/WCTM cart. I've played Super Mario Bros., but I don't own the individual cartridge."

I'd say that NWC doesn't count because it was a contest. It wasn't released in a retail or business environment. Even rental exclusives were released in a business environment and "retailed" (I use that word very loosely to prove a point) whenever businesses no longer found them profitable to rent out. So they were sold in a business setting. NWCs were not originally for that purpose. Some were give-aways (gold) and some were basically earned by making it to the end. That's why I'd say they don't count, they weren't commercial in a retail sort of way.

Maybe we should call it a Complete "Retail" list.  NWC is a  unique american NTSC cart whether it was sold in stores or not.  I mean, F2 wasn't sold in retail stores either, but it counts.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58:48 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
Tennessee

Maybe we should call it a Complete "Retail" list.  NWC is a  unique american NTSC cart whether it was sold in stores or not.  I mean, F2 wasn't sold in retail stores either, but it counts.

Now that's a thought. Adding the word "retail" could make a good distinction. But then again - and I'm just spitballing here - the word "licensed" kind of implies retail, right? Or am I just stretching it?

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:04:29 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
Pennsylvania

I thought DKCC was sold through Nintendo Power at some point? Someone shed a little light on that for me. Not sure about Starfox super weekend cart

Edited: 08/21/2012 at 11:04 PM by 2Legit28Bit

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:10:57 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa

Now that's a thought. Adding the word "retail" could make a good distinction. But then again - and I'm just spitballing here - the word "licensed" kind of implies retail, right? Or am I just stretching it?

Since Nintendo produced the NWC, it would be considered licensed software.  It was produced, having a licensed to do so.  "Licensed" and "Retail" are not synonymous.  F2 would also be considered "Licensed" even though it wasn't sold in Retail outlets.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Edited: 08/21/2012 at 11:11 PM by Elijah

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15:30 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
Tennessee

Since Nintendo produced the NWC, it would be considered licensed software.  It was produced, having a licensed to do so.  "Licensed" and "Retail" are not synonymous.  F2 would also be considered "Licensed" even though it wasn't sold in Retail outlets.

That makes sense. I was just reaching for something. You bring up an excellent point, then. Adding the keyword "retail" might make sense. I would still throw F2 under "retail" since it was eventually sold from rental stores. Though you could throw the semantics around either way. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:19:23 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
Pennsylvania

But F2 was sold to rental stores as compared to NWC which was awarded to winners of contests. Wouldn't that make F2 a retail product?

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:28:46 PM
JNovo79 (120)
(Grumpy ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
Originally posted by: TWarwick07

Does Stadium events count Baniel Bryan ?

Lolz.

Also, I agree with the vegan.

hhttp://www.ebay.com/sch/jnovo79/m...; <-- eBay, games & also not-games

Pie > Cake
Unashamed Evil Reseller & Sega Fanboy
@JNovo79 on twitter... mostly me bitching about how being a lawyer is lame