Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesruler's 2011 Contest Presents: Super C Contest ends Sunday, 4/17/11 at 10 PM NA time, 9 PM Central time

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:26:27 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Hey everyone!  I'll be posting the contest once again and this week it will be Super C.  Here are the rules:

• 1 player only
  • No point racking
  • Play until you are given the option to continue for the first time (play until Game Over)
  • Take picture on Continue screen
  • Participation: 20,000

Anyone suspected of using the 7 lives code on this contest will have their score deemed invalid and subsequently banned from this contest.

The contest ends Sunday, 4/17/11 at 10 PM NA time, 9 PM central time.  Your user name must be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  Good luck everyone and have fun!

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 04/10/2011 at 11:06 PM by bimmy_lee

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:32:35 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Wholy crappers one of my faves might haft to play this week

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:54:41 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
No one life? This should be real interesting.....

Edit, ah ok I see why its play till game over. Can't see the score otherwise.

Edited: 04/10/2011 at 10:56 PM by Mog

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:00:08 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Don't tell me that game is looping.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:02:01 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
It does loop, but it gets harder each time it loops.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:49:45 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: MrMiniMog

I guess you could make a rule to commit suicide after one life

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:04:14 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: jdheins

I guess you could make a rule to commit suicide after one life

I thought about posting 1 life, but decided to play until game over to see how far people could get before they finally lost all of their lives.  I think it will be kind of cool to see how many times someone can loop the game.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:00:39 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I'm also open for a 1 life contest if everyone else thinks that would make for more exciting competition. We could just lose all of our lives after we lose the first life. What does everyone think?

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:00:43 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Play till game over. I am sick of the one life rule to be honest. I know we started doing it with Mario 3 to speed things up but since then we haven't even thought about NOT doing it with some games. Lets change things up a bit and give the reset button on my NES a break.

Edited: 04/11/2011 at 10:01 AM by Mog

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:21:55 AM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Not sure if anyone cares, but I'll probably play this on my DS. Contra 4 has both Contra and Super Contra perfectly emulated on the cart. So I'll take my score off of that.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:16:16 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

Play till game over. I am sick of the one life rule to be honest. I know we started doing it with Mario 3 to speed things up but since then we haven't even thought about NOT doing it with some games. Lets change things up a bit and give the reset button on my NES a break.

Legend of Kage was a departure from that one life rule, and it was quite refreshing.
I am for we playing this one 'till game over rather than using the one life rule.
And since I have it on cart, I will be taking part on this week too.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:57:39 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I'm also open for a 1 life contest if everyone else thinks that would make for more exciting competition. We could just lose all of our lives after we lose the first life. What does everyone think?

We should see if the loops getting more difficult are enough for not getting infinite loop playing. If that's not the case, I'm ok with play 'till game over.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:07:16 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

We should see if the loops getting more difficult are enough for not getting infinite loop playing. If that's not the case, I'm ok with play 'till game over.

I don't think it will be a problem, the difficulty increases just like Contra.   The Jungle level 3 gets pretty crazy

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:32:26 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

I played this for a bit last night and the game gets harder after the first loop and appears to stay at the same difficulty level on subsequent loops.  Either that, or the difficulty goes up a little at a time.  I finally just got bored with it and quit before I ran out of lives, so I took my picture when the score flashed up before stage 4.  If you're really good at this game it could be possible for infinite looping, but you would have to play this for a really long time to put up a really good score.  For those who don't want to play this for hours on end, I'm ok with you taking your picture between stages like I did, as long as that's fine with everyone else.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:56:02 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
I'm all for dropping the 1-life rule when it is not needed. But we still must do it for certain games, especially platformer, and personally, I feel we don't have a good timing here to drop it.

Millipede was an excellent opportunity to play with all lives. At some point, it is so hard that you can't keep to avoid all the crap on the screen. Losing ten lives was a matter of half an hour or less. That was a good time to drop the 1-life rule. More, we even had the opportunity to drop the score based contest, and make it a round contest. We should always be attentive to all possibilities that a game offer us, and choose to best option.

Now, with Super C, it is not that hard to memorize all the stages and pass through them infinitely, and even more if we got multiple lives. As i remember, you even get extra lives after reaching certain scores, right?

I feel this going to be an endurance test, but I'll do whatever you guys want to do.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:20:53 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I'm all for dropping the 1-life rule when it is not needed. But we still must do it for certain games, especially platformer, and personally, I feel we don't have a good timing here to drop it.

Millipede was an excellent opportunity to play with all lives. At some point, it is so hard that you can't keep to avoid all the crap on the screen. Losing ten lives was a matter of half an hour or less. That was a good time to drop the 1-life rule. More, we even had the opportunity to drop the score based contest, and make it a round contest. We should always be attentive to all possibilities that a game offer us, and choose to best option.

Now, with Super C, it is not that hard to memorize all the stages and pass through them infinitely, and even more if we got multiple lives. As i remember, you even get extra lives after reaching certain scores, right?

I feel this going to be an endurance test, but I'll do whatever you guys want to do.

Super C does give you extra lives after reaching certain scores.  I had 14 lives by the time I decided to stop playing.  I could've kept going for a while, but it was late and I was getting tired, plus I got bored after a while and my hand was getting tired from repeatedly pressing B.  This will probably be an endurance test, but I think it's a nice break from the 1-life rule.  We do use that quite a bit and it is refreshing to not have to worry about trying to progress through the game with one life.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:55:01 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I may give this a try. I haven't played the game since the original release. I haven't been able to get through the first game without having to continue. Is this game easier?

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:05:22 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I find this game to be easier than Contra. I can easily play through it without using a continue. Once you memorize where enemies are located and their attack patterns, it's not too hard.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:19:26 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina

I'm back! Hope to be able to be in the competition from this point on, we'll see, got a lot going on, but I'll certainly try to. Of coarse my scores aren't going to be anywhere near as good as they used to be, I still play much better on the actual system, but I'll make do, so long as I'm having fun playing NES, heck my scores can suck for all I care, as long as I get to play I'm happy.

Played 3 games of this, got scores for the first two, forgot to take a pic and didn't even pay attention to my third one since by then I was so intent on beating it instead.

My first real attempt, after a whole bunch of practice games to get used to the game again as well as to my controller. For this one all 6 deaths I had were on stage 4, very last life by chandelier boss before I got the continue screen, score was 106,340. I started over after that, several times until I put in a decent effort again.

My second game, first death on stage 5 by falling purple rock, next 3 by skull transport boss, stage 6 by mouth, spider, spider, floating red spike ball, spider again, game over - score 140060; but I continued to play just to get better at the game, 1st continue: on stage 7 had 2 deaths by face huggers, 1 by tower boss, game over; 2nd continue: same exact deaths as previous continue

Gave it one more go for tonight, intended to take a pic, but forgot being so into the action, anyway first death on stage 4 by round cannon, 2nd death stage 5 by turret gun, 3rd & 4th deaths stage 5 by running purple guys, 5th death by skull transport boss, 6th, 7th and 8th deaths by face huggers in stage 7, 9th & 10th deaths by tower boss, game over (oops, no score recorded, oh well); 1st continue: 11th death by shooting alien head in stage 8, 12th death by running alien, 13th death by floating ball cluster, 14th death by falling into pit trying to avoid said balls; 2nd continue: 15th death by a ball cluster, 16th death by face boss, only 1 life left, beat the game for my 3rd time ever, not bad having been away from playing NES for over a year.

---

Edited post, new, slightly higher score:

1st death stage 4 by small bubbles, 2nd-5th deaths by chandelier boss, 6th death by skull transporter boss, 7th death by mouth and 8th death by red spike ball in stage 6, and 9th death by tube boss, game over, score 145,940; 1st continue: 10th & 11th deaths by red spike balls in stage 6, 12-14th deaths by shooting purple wall mouths in stage 8, game over; 2nd continue: 15th death by running alien, 16th & 17 deaths by red balls, game over.  Failed to beat it this time, but I got a higher score, that's all that matters for the contest.

---

Another edit, much higher score, but in-game score runs too high, gave up due to fatigue:

1st death by chandelier boss, 2nd death by skull transporter boss, beat it with 2 deaths;

3rd death by tank boss in stage 2, 4th death by running purple guy in stage 3, 5th death by running guy in stage 3 when I grabbed the spreadshot then a moment later the damn laser, caused me to miss, 6th, 7th and 8th deaths by red spike balls in stage 6, 9th death by a spider in same stage, 10th death by running creatures in stage 7 while shooting at big purple creature, 11th death by falling into pit in stage 8, 12th death by red ball, 13th fell into pit again, 14th runned over by running alien, ouch, 15th death by accidentally touching face boss, but still, no continues used yet, doing good, anyway, beat the second round;

16th death by round cannon in stage 4, 17th & 18th deaths by skull transporter boss, 19th death in stage 6 by spider, 20th by mouth, 21st by a spider again, 22nd by a red spike ball, 23rd death by running creature in stage 7 same one as last round, beat third round;

24th death by running soldier in stage 1, 25th, 26th and 27th deaths by red spike balls in stage 6, 28th & 29th deaths by running creatures in stage 7, 30th death by shooting purple mouth in stage 8, 31st & 32nd run over by alien, 33rd fell into pit, 34th by red ball, 35th run over by running alien again, suckers are getting quite fast, beat fourth round;

36th death by running soldier in 1st stage, 37th & 38th deaths by running soldiers and here I had the spreadshot, what a waste, 39th death by a red gunner guy in stage 2, these guys are coming out too fast now, plus I'm running out of stamina, 40th death by red spike ball in stage 6, thankfully I got a spreadshot gun after that, 41st death by running creature in stage 7, lost my spreadshot real quick here, things are coming out 3 at a time now, 42nd & 43rd deaths also by running creatures, beat fifth round, sure I could go on, but going to leave it at that, getting tired;

Final score upon quiting 1,088,890, rest 13 lives, beginning 6th round

Edited: 04/12/2011 at 09:15 PM by Miss Clawful

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:27:13 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Nice to hear from you Megan.

That's a pleasure to have you back in the contest. Give it a couple of weeks to warm you up, and I'm sure you'll kick ass hard again soon enough.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:35:37 AM
Elijah (161)
Iowa

I find this game to be easier than Contra. I can easily play through it without using a continue. Once you memorize where enemies are located and their attack patterns, it's not too hard.

Agreed...much easier than Contra overall.  But they are both easy as hell

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:17:23 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Update on score, over a million points, could've kept going, but opted to quite, enough is enough, didn't know the game score went so rediculously high, I just don't have the energy for that much continuous play. Pretty sure I'm going to leave my score as is, may not be good enough for those more determined or better than I, but for now its good enough for me.

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:30:36 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
OOOOOOOOOO FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNN IS IN THE MOTHER FUCKING HOUSEEEEEEE
HEELLLZZZZ YAAAA!!
Soooo good to see you back!!
Hope everythings goin alright!!
Jeremy

http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:13:51 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Nice score Megan!

On second thought, I think one life would have been the way to go here

I practiced all the levels on the second loop a little last night

Then I decided to give it a go today. Very first attempt I nearly no deathed the first loop. And kept gaining lifes quicker than I was making stupid mistakes and dying here and there.

Eventually I just reached the point where my thumb was blisted I was getting carpel tunnel, my hand was shaking.

I need to be able to use my hands at work, so I just gave up and killed myself to get the score and leave it at that.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:20:23 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

I guess that this score will only get me a participation point.
It had been nearly 20 years since I had last played this game.
Made to stage 3 and died there.
I will try to improve the score tomorrow, but I have no hope to get close to the kind of score we will see at the top this time.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 04/17/2011 at 03:41 PM by Bea_Iank