Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The AVS History Book, Now with Pictures. Pictures of Words, Fun! A behind the scenes look at the making and development of the console

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:38:40 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

The text is being set by our own KHan Games (you might recall his great work from the e-zine days), and he has done an excellent job so far! He started at the beginning of the book (surprise), so nothing too new to see in terms of content, but you can get a general idea of the quality and format. All images subject to change as things shift around and become finalized.

11/10/16

If you look over the list of items that are included with the LLE, you might notice that a history book is on the list. You might also notice that it is not in the box  . Well, it is nearing completion, and is in the final stages of proofing before going to the very talented KHan for layout. The book weighs in at over 22k words and includes around sixty images, some of them never before shown publicly (to the best of my knowledge anyways). It has been an enjoyable experience writing it, and I am very thankful to Brian for the opportunity. If you've never noticed, I like to write.

Since the AVS has been an epic forum experience, I have structured the book accordingly. It is written with you all, the members of NA, in mind. After a brief introduction, the shape of the book is as follows:

Chapter I: A detailed reading of the initial “I have a dream” post. This involves going over the immediate company changes back in early 2013, and then continues to trace the developments over the next ten months. It explores many of the questions that the community raised in regards to the HDMI top loader modification and the prospect of experiencing the NES in HD, culminating in...

Chapter II: PRGE 2013, the first public unveiling of the AVS! Details of the event are given, and some of the general reactions that people had to the system are shared. However, the AVS more or less appeared out of the blue, so it is necessary to examine...

Chapter III: The behind the scenes development of the AVS. The clock is turned back over a year and the inner workings of the project are finally revealed! This lengthy chapter, the meat of the book really, goes over some of Parker’s early thoughts regarding making a console, and the initial attempts to see it come to fruition. It traces the development (and death) of the HDMI top loader modification and the early periods of the AVS. A lengthy examination of the design process is also given, along with a slew of images from this phase of the project. The chapter ends with a recap of PRGE 2013, before moving onto...

Chapter IV: The long delays of manufacturing. The concluding chapter briefly mentions some of the delays that cropped up at this time, but then jumps forward to what bunnyboy tackled while waiting. Short descriptions of the items that accompanied the AVS launch are provided before concluding the story.

When Brian and I first started talking about doing a history book for the AVS I had a much larger (and probably dryer) vision in mind. However, I wanted it to be for members of NA through and through, particularly since it would be included with the LLE and in the hands of those already somewhat knowledgeable of the console. Therefore, I chose to focus on the early development of the system, and all of the ups and downs from that period. It is not a complete history, as there are still many things that could be told about it (and need to be at some point!), but the early period forms a cohesive and engaging narrative.

Many of you factor into the story, directly or indirectly, due to the questions that you asked and points that you raised in the “I have a dream” thread. A lot has changed in the landscape that is our community since then, hence why I spend a good chunk of time in chapter I going over the company changes. The story of the AVS is interesting because it is the story of a community: one that rallied behind a project and helped to make it what it is. Indeed, we are still creating that story, with each new bug that is found and every new experience enjoying the wonders of the NES in HD.

Thanks to everyone who has helped in answering questions, providing pictures, looking over drafts, and regaling me with stories, solicited or not!

~SGP

p.s. Now you know why Spook-o'-tron has been so late!

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 12/01/2016 at 08:49 PM by SoleGooseProductions

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:32:47 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Very cool! Sorry I never got you my story. Trying to do too much.

How many pages total? Good info for future proofers.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:57:07 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
No worries on late stories! I plan to add to the tale at some point and do some other stuff with it as well, so feel free to send me your thoughts/experiences whenever.

Page count is hard to say until it gets formatted, which won't happen until after proofing. The Word doc, prior to adding the pictures in (just thrown in, for the sake of the readers), was a bit over forty pages I think (?). Whatever 22k words comes out to be.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:39:33 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Very excited for this!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:42:22 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Sounds like a good read. Will it be for purchase, or just given to those who bought LLE's?

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:44:28 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: mattbep

Sounds like a good read. Will it be for purchase, or just given to those who bought LLE's?

That is a good question. The LLE edition is exclusive to the console release, so far as I know. I am considering doing another printing, but will need to figure out the production side of things and also gauge interest for it. I'll likely do a set print run and then call it good, as opposed to doing a print on demand option, and will do an interest check as things get figured out. I am also leaning towards adding some extra content, putting the footnotes back in, adding some extra images, and gently expanding an area or two. Basically a revised, second edition that still has the same general flow, but done in such a way that it is readable by non-hardcore AVS fans. Like my games and my writing, there is a certain vision that I have in my head and I want to have all aspects, including production, up to that level. That is not to say that the LLE edition is less than that, but as I was writing I kept thinking "maybe just a bit more here," or "perhaps i should explore that issue too," "should I add an index or a list of images at the front," that type of thing. Plus, footnotes; I love footnotes  . LLE holders do not need an extended footnote on who Dain is, or a reference to when Mr. Gimmick came out and what it is. In a way, that have been spared that drudgery!

At some point, perhaps after the AVP gets further along, I'd like to explore the two systems (AVS and AVP) from a different angle altogether. The current AVS book is a little too specific to NA and avid AVS followers, and would likely be lost on a more general audience. As mentioned, due to the nature of it, I eliminated introducing a lot of general knowledge since it is more or less common knowledge to us all. There are a few explorations that I would like to undertake in regards to the homebrew community, so we will see what happens next!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:01:00 PM
Pool108 (29)
(Cale ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota
Awesome, I was wondering when we would get an update on the book. Can't wait for it. I just hope I won't feel like I am missing something if there is a second edition that comes out with additional content soon after the first edition.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:34:42 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Pool108

Awesome, I was wondering when we would get an update on the book. Can't wait for it. I just hope I won't feel like I am missing something if there is a second edition that comes out with additional content soon after the first edition.

That is something that I have thought about a lot, and gone back and forth on even more. On the one hand, I don't want LLE supporters to feel like they are missing out, yet on the other hand I also want them to get something unique and truly limited. If I just went ahead and released the initial version to everyone, then LLE holders would rightfully feel miffed (I know I would, #6 on the list). Then again, if it is never released to the public, or at least a wider audience, very few will ever get to read the tale that is the AVS; and it is a great story! Not because of my writing, but due to the wonderful people involved. So, what to do?

My compromise with my conscience has been to let this first version be a one and done deal. Brian has said that he is only going to print the number he needs, and that will end the first edition. In order to not simply cash in on the project and burn LLE supporters, I feel that is necessary to revise or expand things. In a way it is a bummer for LLE people, yet you will be one of very few to be able to read the first editon. 

The other solution is to wait another six months to a year (maybe longer) for the book to be finished to my (final) liking, which no one wants  . This is simply due to the fact that while I was writing a lot of things that I was not aware of came up that I could not have planned for; whole stories and side projects that at first appeared to be tangents and then became pieces of the tale in their own right. Brian and I also had different ideas of what the book would/should be, and I did not follow directions  . It was mostly going to consist of images from development with some explanatory text (I think), but I had a different vision from the start and just went with it. The result is a healthy mix of what we both thought should be in there, but both sides of that deserve to be taken further. I also want to make the book useful to people down the road and include references. Most video game history books obliterate all anchors to their sources, and it makes them less than useful to later writers. Sheff's Game Over is a marvelous book for the history that it provides, and a good read too, but there is no way to track or verify any of his claims. It is regrettable that I am now guilty of this as well, at least for now.

In case anyone is terribly upset about the situation, I will happily trade anyone a second edition (whenever it is done), for their LLE first edition. I certainly would not mind having a stack of them on the shelf, as they will be rather pretty. A standing offer that I am sure no one will take, but there it is.

Sorry for the lack of updates on the book as a whole. I didn't want to announce it until it was almost complete and headed to the printer's. Two grammatical proof readers to go and then formatting; thanks to everyone who has already offered constructive criticisms at the final hour! I will be making some final changes because of them. Everyone that has read it (ok, been forced to read it) has seemed to enjoy it, but I will leave that up to you all. LLE people are in the unique position too of offering feedback and asking for further exploration of areas. If you want to see more written about something, just ask. As for anyone else who has some of the AVS story to tell that I might not have had a chance to speak with (show attendees, people who glimpsed the protos or witnessed the early Scoreboard, etc.) please feel free to contact me.

I'll be sure to post some pictures of what the pages are going to look like (or let him if he wants), once KHan gets started on them.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:54:23 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Formatting has begun, thanks to Mr. Hanley!

SoleGooseProductions.com