Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contest Summer Tournament Presents Round 3: Stinger Contest ends Sunday, 7/26/15 at 11 PM NA time

LOCKED TOPIC

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:45:25 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: Red

If necessary, I can upload more pictures showing my progress before I reached this point.

Before the score looped:

photo DSC01444_zpsevmrejrx.jpg

After the score looped:

photo DSC01451_zpsetvydoau.jpg

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:48:01 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Dude! Freaking incredible! Now that's some serious dedication. World record!!

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:49:08 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
WOW

just WOW

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:01:34 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Fuckin Red. I called it. You had me at balloon fight.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:07:48 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Well, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to double my score in 3 hours, so...Nice job Red. I'll get ya next time!

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:29:16 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Alrighty... guess it's time to post.  This is about as good as I have for this sucker... hopefully good enough to hold up in the top 3.

Tier 2
Score: 3,512,200

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:46:55 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
LOL

Originally posted by: Red

If necessary, I can upload more pictures showing my progress before I reached this point.

Before the score looped:

photo DSC01444_zpsevmrejrx.jpg

After the score looped:

photo DSC01451_zpsetvydoau.jpg

-------------------------

Edited: 07/26/2015 at 09:48 PM by Thundercat08

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:54:08 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
United States
Agreed. After I saw acromite53's score and learned about the infinite looping, I quit playing for score. I just causally played until I beat the game, because I wanted to. No ones score is a true measure of there gaming ability.
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: bertsampson

It's unfair, and it's less about skill, but it's Sunday. I disagree. All the players with the million point scores have the skill.

They do,but do they have the time? It's completely unfair to you if you lose simply because you don't have the time to marathon the game today and someone else does. That is not what the contests are supposed to be about. 

It's so unfair in my opinion that I'm seriously considering not even posting my real score.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:02:08 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
United States
Tier 2 - 2,643,800

I agree with gutsman004, the only reason I am posting a score is because I told EgasKrad I would try to win it for him. But I just quit trying, as I stated above, I just lost all motivation. I could have done better, but why even bother trying. I don't see a solution that will make everyone happy.

Edited: 07/26/2015 at 10:06 PM by Thundercat08

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:06:29 PM
dropkickorange (31)
(Nate ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

I agree with gutsman004, the only reason I am posting a score is because I told EgasKrad I would try to win it for him. But I just quit trying, as I stated above, I just lost all motivation. I don't see a solution that will make everyone happy.

Maybe next time we're all playing a game that loops infinitely, we can limit it to highest score after the first loop?

"What happened? Your dog think your Game Boy some huge biscuit? Your kid drop it into the toilet..."

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:27:22 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

I agree with gutsman004, the only reason I am posting a score is because I told EgasKrad I would try to win it for him. But I just quit trying, as I stated above, I just lost all motivation. I could have done better, but why even bother trying. I don't see a solution that will make everyone happy.

I want to thank you for doing so and it looks like, at least at the moment, you do have a good chance to place at least.

I logged in to take a look at the finals to see how this has all went down and it's not what I expected at all.  I thought it would be a lot of fun smack talk and great scores, instead I see a lot of rule issues, insane scores, and one of my favorite competitors possibly have quit for good.

I looked through the issues and at this stage in the final round, I can't find any way for this to start over.  If the issues were found earlier in the week, then maybe, but not on the final day or weekend even.  All that can be done is use this as a learning experience and find games that don't loop like this for future tournaments or at least put in better parameters.  Something like this would be ok for a weekly contest, but not for a tournament where prized and bragging rights are handed out.   I was on the fence about how much I play in the second half as is, since I'm missing at least three weeks straight coming up and I may have other things in real life affecting my time too.  I'm going to try not to let this affect my thinking either way.

Also to Bimmy: this isn't a knock on you or the contests or that I'm trying to stir up anything.  You do a great job hosting these and it is appreciated by everyone for what you do.  I just see it as a hic-up that I hope can be addressed in the future.  

And to Gutsman: Buddy, it has always been a pleasure competing against you and you were one of the first I ever traded messages in the tournament forums with.  I always saw you as one of the most skilled players I've went up against and measured myself to your skills just like the other top players I've went up against.  It would be awful to lose you as a competitor, but I know you have to do what you feel is right.  I just hope it isn't the end and future rules may change your mind, but otherwise I'll see you around.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:37:36 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Tier 2: 74,336,900
I'm coming for your score Red! 
I'd hoped that I'd roll over the score by the deadline.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:38:30 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

I want to thank you for doing so and it looks like, at least at the moment, you do have a good chance to place at least.

I logged in to take a look at the finals to see how this has all went down and it's not what I expected at all.  I thought it would be a lot of fun smack talk and great scores, instead I see a lot of rule issues, insane scores, and one of my favorite competitors possibly have quit for good.

I looked through the issues and at this stage in the final round, I can't find any way for this to start over.  If the issues were found earlier in the week, then maybe, but not on the final day or weekend even.  All that can be done is use this as a learning experience and find games that don't loop like this for future tournaments or at least put in better parameters.  Something like this would be ok for a weekly contest, but not for a tournament where prized and bragging rights are handed out.   I was on the fence about how much I play in the second half as is, since I'm missing at least three weeks straight coming up and I may have other things in real life affecting my time too.  I'm going to try not to let this affect my thinking either way.

Also to Bimmy: this isn't a knock on you or the contests or that I'm trying to stir up anything.  You do a great job hosting these and it is appreciated by everyone for what you do.  I just see it as a hic-up that I hope can be addressed in the future.  

And to Gutsman: Buddy, it has always been a pleasure competing against you and you were one of the first I ever traded messages in the tournament forums with.  I always saw you as one of the most skilled players I've went up against and measured myself to your skills just like the other top players I've went up against.  It would be awful to lose you as a competitor, but I know you have to do what you feel is right.  I just hope it isn't the end and future rules may change your mind, but otherwise I'll see you around.

Well said. I have mixed feeling about all of the ruckus about the infinite looping. I think this puts it in perspective for me. I think this mostly affects tier 1 and a bit of tier 2 as well.  This is my first time competing in these contests. I am honored to be here. I do think this event does carry a lesson learned for the future. But let's not tarnish the whole event over this. I think we've all had fun (at least I hope so) playing the game and competing so far. I get the bragging rights and the issue at hand now.

Gutsman, I ask you to submit your final score.  For you and for everyone. I think we all like competing with you, friend or foe, and you should post up your work. I'd like you to not leave the contests either, but that's your call.

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:54:23 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Score updated. I felt like I had to wait till the last minute to post to have a shot to podium. At this point I still don't know if I did enough.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:57:29 PM
dropkickorange (31)
(Nate ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: dropkickorange

Tier 3: 7,580,300

Tier 3: 2,174,100
Posting this now to get some time on top of the tier 3 scoreboard before things get serious.

Score updated. This was my best run all week. I was aiming for 8,000,000 (which is why I started to record my gameplay since I thought breaking the record would be noteworthy) and I almost made it last night. I cleared the first and second loops without dying and then got clipped by the second boss and it was all downhill from there. I had a lot of fun with game. It was a pleasure playing with everyone here in this tournament.

"What happened? Your dog think your Game Boy some huge biscuit? Your kid drop it into the toilet..."

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:57:52 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
One thing that might make it more competitive would be to make the final result for the tier be based on placement in all rounds instead of just the last one. Make advancement be round dependent but the final placement be like it is for the weekly contest leader boards... just a thought for the future.

It does seem a little crummy that you could theoretically dominate round 1 and 2, but lose to someone in round 3 who came in dead last qualifying in the previous rounds. It pretty much makes the whole championship about the final game, which is luck of the draw.

On the other hand, it does give people a better chance if they were unlucky at the start..?

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:58:24 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Updated my score for the last time. I played for a few hours today and was able to beat my own best a few times (the one I was holding on to). That tells me I have more to do on this game and could improve. I had fun with this one, but it was tough! I didn't beat the game, but did make it to the final boss. It has been great competing here with you all! Thanks for having me

[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:00:19 PM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
I know I'm just a casual contest participant but I don't see the big deal at all.
High score on a video game just makes sense. If people can go for a long time, then good for them.
People are saying 5 hours is too much time to invest? That's not something I thought I would hear in a video game forum. I spent 6 hours playing this game this morning and my scores are not even good. I put in a lot more hours this week playing Lemmings 2 and that was just for fun.

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:00:44 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Score updated. I felt like I had to wait till the last minute to post to have a shot to podium. At this point I still don't know if I did enough.

Me too, man. I've been sweating it for days now!

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:10:43 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: neodolphino

One thing that might make it more competitive would be to make the final result for the tier be based on placement in all rounds instead of just the last one. Make advancement be round dependent but the final placement be like it is for the weekly contest leader boards... 

I am a fan of this idea, making it a three round point-system race rather than elimination style would be a nice change of pace.

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:16:34 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

* tips hat I'm not very good at shooters but I'd like to congratulate you on your score. Very nice.

You're making me nervous. Every time you say that you're not very good at shooters, I swear that you're going to post a huge score Sunday.

Not a huge score in comparison but I wouldn't want to play poker against you

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:23:00 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

You're making me nervous. Every time you say that you're not very good at shooters, I swear that you're going to post a huge score Sunday.

Not a huge score in comparison but I wouldn't want to play poker against you

If we were playing poker, I may have done a little better.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:32:03 AM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Scores all updated! Nice job Red, acromite53, and dropkickorange for winning 1st place in your tiers.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:09:29 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
There is a lot I need to say about this thread, so prepare yourselves for a lot of text.  I am NOT happy with how things turned out in here today...period.  I understand completely that the rules for Stinger ended up not being the greatest and created a lot of controversy.  When the rules were revised last Monday, the looping problem was not considered to be an issue because it was believed that no one would be looping the game 8+ times.  Had we known this beforehand, one loop would have been all that was allowed.  Asking me to change the rules on the last day of the competition is completely ridiculous when you guys had all week to debate this.  If I somehow missed a debate about this earlier in the week, I apologize.  I work a lot of hours every week and cannot police these contests 24/7.  Publicly stating that the rules for Stinger were unfair was completely uncalled for and in very poor taste.  If you have a problem with the rules I create for the contests, you send me a PM first and you do NOT start a commotion in the threads about it.  I am completely appalled and disappointed at the behavior in this thread.  For the time being, the awarding of the prizes for this tournament will be put on hold until guillavoie and I can sort out this entire mess.

I also want to address public announcements of not playing in the contests or retiring from them.  If you do not want to play in the contests, then simply just stop playing in them.  I am not forcing you to play and I am not going to twist your arm to make you stay.  If you do not like the way I run things or you do not agree with the rules I have set forth, then simply do not play.  Please do not clutter up the contest threads with statements like "I'm retiring for good" or "I'm not playing anymore because I don't like the rules" or anything like this.  It can lead to unnecessary drama.  I try to make these contests as fair as possible and someone's idea of "fair" may not coincide with my idea of "fair."  I cannot please everyone, but I try my best to do so.  If you have a problem with anything I do in the contests, please send me a PM.  I try to log-in almost every day, but some days I am unable to.  If you leave me a message and I don't get to it right away, I will address it the next time I log in.  If it's a dire emergency, guillavoie can also be messaged.

These contests are meant to be in good fun and a way to get people to play their games.  They are not life or death situations that should be taken super seriously.  There is a certain level of seriousness that needs to be had with these, but I have noticed some people taking them WAY too seriously.  Which leads me to the next thing.  I have received A LOT of messages over the past six months regarding suspicious scores.  There have been plenty of instances where an investigation has been warranted and has happened.  But there have been A LOT of instances where no investigation was necessary.  I want you all to have a little faith in your fellow gamers.  Big score jumps are not a cause for alarm, but sometimes they can be.  If you want to send me a PM regarding a suspicious score, that is fine, but please do not send me one every single day.  Investigations can sometimes take a little time and guillavoie and myself will do our best to make the correct ruling.

Let's please make these contests a fun thing to do.  We have a great thing going on here with them and I don't want to see them fall to pieces over a little rules disagreement.  Some of the decisions may not have been popular this week, but that is how we learn when creating new contests.  We learn from these bad decisions and make stronger ones in the future that make things run more smoothly.  I will not disagree that the rules for Stinger were not the best, but the way they were addressed was not professional.  In the future, we all need to take a second to breathe and think about what we say before we say it.  I think I'm with everyone when I say we are all friends in these contests and let's not destroy our friendships over a simple video game.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 07/27/2015 at 01:58 AM by bimmy_lee

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:48:17 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I must say it, great post Bimmy, this sums up quite nicely the situation on our end.

I also want to apologize cause I haven't been around to moderate the rules changing for the final round. I've been away in vacation for 10 days and had little to no time on a computer per day. Without going in details about where I personally think things got goofed up, I'd like to underline that whatever the weaknesses in the rules, there's absolutely no reason to diminish anyone's victory for this week. Rules were the same for everyone, which is as fair as things will ever be. Yes, if I had my word on it this week I would have pushed things differently, but in no way anyone deserve to have their victories tainted by others opinion.

Now let's all be class act, celebrate the winners and move on for more fun in the future contests.