Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Trog Contest ends Sunday, 8/24/14 at 11 PM NA time

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:15:24 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  (The following has been translated into English for those of you who cannot speak dinosaur): RAWR!  I am the mighty Bimmysaurus Rex and I have a mighty big problem right now: mankind!  Ever since these one-eyed cavemen learned to walk upright, they think they're the superior species.  Now all they want to do is bonk us on the head and turn us into pizza!  Can you believe that!  Pizza!?  What do they think they are, Ninja Turtles??  And that's not all.  They've also learned how to create fire, which has me burning up inside with anger.  They've also invented the wheel and are currently trying to turn us into dino pancakes!  The dinosaur race must not stand for this!  Let's show them the dinosaurs are the superior species!  And once we have defeated those pesky cavemen and taken over the world, we will create museums and display all their bones and mock them for their goofy appearances!  Then, many years later, we will learn how to create human DNA from fossilized mosquitos and construct theme parks around the world where dinosaurs can see actual humans!  We just have to make sure that the power grid doesn't get knocked out by a storm.  Could you imagine what would happen if those cavemen got loose?  Haha, I'm getting ahead of myself here.  This is what you need to do to make sure the dinosaurs remain the superior species (I mean, there's no way we could ever go extinct, right?):

• 1 player only
  • Start on Island 1
  • Get as far in the game as possible
  • You may not use any of the warps in the game.  Anyone suspected of using a warp will have their score disallowed.  You must play through the game naturally
  • Keep your score as low as possible
  • Play until you have no extra lives remaining (no blue dots remaining under your score).  At this point, you must immediately stop playing and take a picture of your score.  You may not play any of the game on your very last life.  Anyone suspected of doing so will have their score disallowed.
  • Furthest progression in the game wins
  • In the event two or more participants end their runs on the same stage, the lowest score will take precedence.
  • GENRE: Arcade

The contest ends Sunday, 8/24/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 08/25/2014 at 04:22 PM by bimmy_lee

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:33:48 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Ill be getting in on this. Trogs one of my favorites.

Playas Guide Logo

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:48:38 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I played this for the first time ever last night. Got a really good score on my second game.
Now I see that this contest is low score... fml. It's going to be challenging for sure, but it's also going to suck a lot of the fun right out of the game. I love the T-Rex.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:44:16 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
It had to be low score, the caveman keep spawning even after you have collected all the eggs.

Start at level 1, Easy.

Edited: 08/17/2014 at 06:46 PM by Thundercat08

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:43:45 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

It had to be low score, the caveman keep spawning even after you have collected all the eggs. Start at level 1, Easy.

I was wondering how that was going to be handled.  It sucks since the T-Rex and fireball power-ups are the most fun parts of the game, but it's understandable. I'll just go about it as a new challenge.

It's still one of my top 20 favorite NES games regardless (it's a favorite, doesn't mean I'm great at it!) and I'll put as much time as I can before I leave this week.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:24:33 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania

It had to be low score, the caveman keep spawning even after you have collected all the eggs. Start at level 1, Easy.

Well, we've had rules for no point-racking in the past, so it's not like this has to be a low-score contest. You get points for everything in this game (even trogs jumping off the sides), and mushrooms and plants love to spawn in front of the exits, so with a low-score contest a lot of luck will be involved to get a lower score. But then again, that would only be an issue if two competitors end up on the same stage.

I do understand the challenge of a low score for this game, though. It's still addictive to play, anyway. I definitely want to get my hands on a cart of this.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:45:27 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
You guys focus too much about the score rule. The first way to win will be to get further in the game than anyone else. So my advice would be to forget about the score, and get all the power ups you guys need to get as far as you can in the game. If you can beat the game with the rules set, then and only then you should care about your scores. If you can't beat the game, thinking about getting a low score is almost useless and will most probably hurt your progression in the game.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:24:49 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

You guys focus too much about the score rule. The first way to win will be to get further in the game than anyone else. So my advice would be to forget about the score, and get all the power ups you guys need to get as far as you can in the game. If you can beat the game with the rules set, then and only then you should care about your scores. If you can't beat the game, thinking about getting a low score is almost useless and will most probably hurt your progression in the game.
No kidding.

Score only matters if you can beat the game.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:34:10 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Anyone recall how many levels there are?

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:30:01 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York

Best I could find was there are 7 islands - but I do not know how many levels are within each island - as I've never played this game.

Going to give it a go tonight and see what I can muster for a score.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:45:23 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Best I could find was there are 7 islands - but I do not know how many levels are within each island - as I've never played this game.

Going to give it a go tonight and see what I can muster for a score.

There are 50 stages in Trog altogether.  The very last stage (stage 50) is a bonus level.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:52:28 PM
Fluffy (11)
(Fluffy is asleep) < Meka Chicken >
New York
When do we take the picture of the score?

Derp I see.

Edited: 08/18/2014 at 01:58 PM by Fluffy

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:56:11 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Stage 32: 2,165,815

Moved to the desktop.

Edited: 08/20/2014 at 04:55 PM by ookii_risu

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:59:38 PM
Fluffy (11)
New York
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

Stage 23: 1,323,290

Wow good job!

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:18:43 PM
Fluffy (11)
New York
Stage 3-55,350

I take it back, I thougth Duck Tales was hard and i didn't even know the controls, This game I actually know the controls but it's still harder.

New best on 2nd Page

Edited: 08/18/2014 at 05:52 PM by Fluffy

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:47:09 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
The controls are a little weird, but you'll get used to them. I kept falling off the sides in the beginning I usually collect the eggs around the perimeter first to minimize the time I spend on the ends.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:57:45 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
I've never played this game until today. It's pretty damn fun! Gonna be using an emulator this time around as I don't own a physical copy of this game,

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:22:53 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
First time playing this game and really enjoying it, I should be able to do well on this one so yall better watch out!

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:41:55 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Has anyone here actually played this game before this week??

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:53:41 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I have!  Once to test my cart when I got it, and once or twice when I was maybe 10.  So that gives me exactly no advantage! 

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:55:47 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I beat it for the "can NA beat every nes game in a year" thread. A very fun game. Sorry I haven't been too active lately,but dealing with a lot of stuff in recent weeks. Hopefully the majority of it is behind me and I can focus on these competitions more.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:03:36 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
When my brother and I were kids, the only two games we ever seemed to rent from Blockbuster were Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers and Trog. My dad would only let us rent two-player games, so my options were pretty limited at this particular Blockbuster. One time, I had a choice of renting Trog or Wally Bear and the No Gang (yes, this game is two-player). My dad suggested Wally Bear because we had never played it, but I went with Trog instead. All I had to see was the bear on the skateboard on the back of the box and read the name of the game to realize how much it sucked without actually playing it lol.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:32:19 PM
Fluffy (11)
New York

The controls are a little weird, but you'll get used to them. I kept falling off the sides in the beginning I usually collect the eggs around the perimeter first to minimize the time I spend on the ends.

I'll try that, thanks for the tip!

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:51:25 PM
Fluffy (11)
New York
New best thanks to a tip by ookii_risu

Stage 06-172,080

New score below

Edited: 08/19/2014 at 11:44 AM by Fluffy

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:51:34 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I have!  Once to test my cart when I got it, and once or twice when I was maybe 10.  So that gives me exactly no advantage! 

LIES!!!!

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

My dad suggested Wally Bear because we had never played it, but I went with Trog instead. All I had to see was the bear on the skateboard on the back of the box and read the name of the game to realize how much it sucked without actually playing it lol.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet! I can't imagine that game being any good.

@Guts, you gotta do what you gotta do. You'll be back and posting crazy scores in no time!

Not sure if I would have thought Trog was boring as a kid, but man do I love it. So addictive!
It's pretty cool that not many of us have played it. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress at the end of the week