Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Oregon Trail Teasers :)

May 12, 2017 at 8:56:45 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel
I think there are actually quite a few variations that could work, and the concept even branches well into something "exploration based" (like a sci fi setting with a colony ship) where you don't necessarily have the kind of route/map clarity that one is accustomed to with the actual Oregon Trail.

I think that this (is a great conceptual idea, but) is quite different from Oregon Trail.

I mean, no one would play that game thinking about it "this is an Oregon Trail like".

First, the non linearity (which could also somehow add value to the game) makes a huge difference about what the game concept is about.

Then, the concept of a family travel (which is preserved in Family Vacation) gets lost in a game featuring a colony ship exploring unknown worlds.

The math and algorithms behind the two games could be similar, to some extent; but I think that the game you propose would hardly fill that nostalgic gap, in the end.

While Family Vacation I think it would fill that gap, because, with the exclusion of a less dramatic plot, and a more "modern times" scenario, the essence of the game still unchanged.

Overall, what you propose could be, in future, a great and excellent homebrew project for the NES, indeed. Actually, there are tons of options which could lead to a more complex and strategic game, compared to Oregon Trail.

However, I * think * that no one would consider such game "the Oregon Trail for the NES".

While Family Vacation could easily gain such "title".

Just my two cents opinion, I could be wrong.  

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:15:55 PM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Still waiting udisi.....don't think I've forgotten about you!!

-------------------------
Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:27:14 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Give us Oregon Trail!!!! :-)

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:36:27 PM
HunterZ (0)

< Cherub >
Someone is working on reverse-engineering a new Oregon Trail handheld game that may be NES-based: https://twitter.com/Foone/status/...