NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Classic Oooo! SNES Goodness!

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:39:29 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

This is all assuming they even bother with it.  They may just stop, and they may go with Gameboy instead.  GB could be milked so hard as could GBC too with so many years of product to use from that 8bit beast (1989-2002.)  They could easily do a lot of affordable lower cost units by volume, or at the least a GB and a GBC setup spaced out by a year or so.
A Game Boy like device for around the cost of a flashback portable would be nice, with a curated collection of GB and GBC games. No cart port, maybe an HDMI video output, and a microUSB for charging the internal battery. Then come back around next year and do the GBA thingy, hopefully with the classic form factor as it's more egronomic than the SP for people with adult sized hands.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 03/16/2018 at 07:40 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 27, 2018 at 11:41:24 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Bump!

Are the SNES Classic's quite easily available?

I mean... I thought they sold out pretty quick? (Now seeing what Nintendo's done with the NES Classic, I'm sure there'll be a second run....)

But, the other day I strolled into EB Games for no particular reason. Whammy, to my amazement, SNES Classic sitting right there.

The guy was like "Oh, the company had some extra stock sitting around so they sent it to us. These are crazy rare to be still here".

This guy isn't particularly reliable, and is the typical patronizer (When I bought the NES Classic he condescendingly asked me if I needed "Co-opability"... You mean do I need a second controller? No... thanks.) of people who "don't know as much about video games as him"/everyone else).

I don't care how "rare" it is, I just kind of thought they all sold out with the first run and didn't expect to walk into a store and find one.  

Anyways... there's an SNES Classic sitting right there. I've played them before, wasn't particularly impressed, but I thought they were neat enough, and I want to play through Star Fox 2, so I bought one.

Neat little unit. Of course the actual console unit is small enough that the controller can't be plugged into the spot where the actual controllers were in the OG, so the front plate pops off... Meh... Okay. I've always thought why couldn't they make the unit's (NESC included) just big enough to handle the size of the controllers? But I understand that even at the size they are now, they're way oversized for the actual technology inside.

It was strange turning it on "without" a game inside, haha. The first time I went to turn it on I hesitated and took a second take at the machine. I was like "something isn't right here", and it took me a second to be like "there's no game", haha.

Review/thoughts after playing...

Controllers okay, needs extender cable, and the texture is a little rough. Maybe in 25 years it'll smooth out, but I doubt it'll get that much play.

Buttons are fine.

Gameplay is okay. I only play in "Pixel perfect" as I've found there's little/not much noticeable lag with that setting.

Not a ton of selection of games. And FAR FAR FAR FAR TOO MANY RPG's for me. Good god, how many MORE RPG's could they have thrown into this thing??? I didn't count, but percentage wise, it's a very high amount. And for myself. Not a fan.

Overall, cool little thing. I won't play it much, but it will be fun to play through a game like Ghouls and Ghosts. I've already started up a decent run and saved it, haha. Total cheat move. But whatever. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I set the game to "beginner" and gave myself 9 lives.

And playing SMW 1 & 2 will be fun, too. Just for a little gaming here and there. And I'm looking forward to playing Star Fox 2 as stated, that's pretty cool.

I will still play on my CRT and OG console for any "serious" gaming though. For example, I wouldn't even attempt ay decent run at Contra 3 on it. Sure I might play it here and there, but you don't ge thte same "feel" as you do from the original system on a CRT.

Same with The NES Classic. It's close, but the games just aren't as tight.

So yeah. Neat little thing. I would have liked more games (Obviously?) but over the course of it's life I will play it $100 worth of fun. And the little guy looks neat. 

This rounds out my "collection" of SNES's with an OG, a mini, and now a Classic.   

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 10/27/2018 at 11:49 AM by AirVillain

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:03:10 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
They're super common, I've seen them at a few stores now. EB had 3 on the shelf just the other day. Christmas should take care of the remaining stock though.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:08:57 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
You can readily find them whenever you want. I have been thinking about picking one up soon though, before Black Friday. I suppose you never know if Nintendo will keep producing these for a few more years or not. In reality I don't have about 10 of the games the system has preloaded (where as the NES Classic I own all 30) so there is a bit of incentive for me to get one. I just don't see myself dropping $300 on another Earthbound cart anytime soon.

Edited: 10/27/2018 at 10:11 PM by Trj22487

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:08:15 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
So I went an bought the last one from my Walmart yesterday and got a $30 HDMI switcher for my TV. Took it home and the audio sounded HORRIBLE and garbled, my heart sank, but then I turned the system off and on again, and the audio was perfectly fine. Phew. So definitely liking this little device though! I don't have about ten of these games, and being able to play on the HDTV in my living room, obviously nice and convienient. What I was not expecting was for Starfox 2 to be so easy! I had literally never played or watched extensive gameplay of this game before and beat it (albeit with a D ranking) on my very first attempt. I thought there was going to be a lot more to the game than that! But the technology behind it was very impressive, and great music and sound.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:46:54 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: empire

They're super common, I've seen them at a few stores now. EB had 3 on the shelf just the other day. Christmas should take care of the remaining stock though.
  Huh.... I guess after the first round sold out I never bothered to even check, haha. 

That's exactly what the guy at EB said, although I felt it was a poor attempt at creating urgency. But, I felt it was true, confirmed by yourself. After having it here and playing it, I knew it was the right decision.

After he handed me the box, I almost asked for the second one in line because this one has a little scratch/white spot showing. Haha...  

Originally posted by: Trj22487

So I went an bought the last one from my Walmart yesterday and got a $30 HDMI switcher for my TV. Took it home and the audio sounded HORRIBLE and garbled, my heart sank, but then I turned the system off and on again, and the audio was perfectly fine. Phew. So definitely liking this little device though! I don't have about ten of these games, and being able to play on the HDTV in my living room, obviously nice and convienient. What I was not expecting was for Starfox 2 to be so easy! I had literally never played or watched extensive gameplay of this game before and beat it (albeit with a D ranking) on my very first attempt. I thought there was going to be a lot more to the game than that! But the technology behind it was very impressive, and great music and sound.

Nice! I haven't played through SF2 yet, looking forward to it.

Especially a good pick up if you don't have some of those games, I would say. 

What's the count on the games, though? Like... 20? Could have been a couple more  

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:31:11 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Bump!

Are the SNES Classic's quite easily available?

I mean... I thought they sold out pretty quick? (Now seeing what Nintendo's done with the NES Classic, I'm sure there'll be a second run....)

But, the other day I strolled into EB Games for no particular reason. Whammy, to my amazement, SNES Classic sitting right there.

The guy was like "Oh, the company had some extra stock sitting around so they sent it to us. These are crazy rare to be still here".

This guy isn't particularly reliable, and is the typical patronizer (When I bought the NES Classic he condescendingly asked me if I needed "Co-opability"... You mean do I need a second controller? No... thanks.) of people who "don't know as much about video games as him"/everyone else).

I don't care how "rare" it is, I just kind of thought they all sold out with the first run and didn't expect to walk into a store and find one.  

Anyways... there's an SNES Classic sitting right there. I've played them before, wasn't particularly impressed, but I thought they were neat enough, and I want to play through Star Fox 2, so I bought one.

Neat little unit. Of course the actual console unit is small enough that the controller can't be plugged into the spot where the actual controllers were in the OG, so the front plate pops off... Meh... Okay. I've always thought why couldn't they make the unit's (NESC included) just big enough to handle the size of the controllers? But I understand that even at the size they are now, they're way oversized for the actual technology inside.

It was strange turning it on "without" a game inside, haha. The first time I went to turn it on I hesitated and took a second take at the machine. I was like "something isn't right here", and it took me a second to be like "there's no game", haha.

Review/thoughts after playing...

Controllers okay, needs extender cable, and the texture is a little rough. Maybe in 25 years it'll smooth out, but I doubt it'll get that much play.

Buttons are fine.

Gameplay is okay. I only play in "Pixel perfect" as I've found there's little/not much noticeable lag with that setting.

Not a ton of selection of games. And FAR FAR FAR FAR TOO MANY RPG's for me. Good god, how many MORE RPG's could they have thrown into this thing??? I didn't count, but percentage wise, it's a very high amount. And for myself. Not a fan.

Overall, cool little thing. I won't play it much, but it will be fun to play through a game like Ghouls and Ghosts. I've already started up a decent run and saved it, haha. Total cheat move. But whatever. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I set the game to "beginner" and gave myself 9 lives.

And playing SMW 1 & 2 will be fun, too. Just for a little gaming here and there. And I'm looking forward to playing Star Fox 2 as stated, that's pretty cool.

I will still play on my CRT and OG console for any "serious" gaming though. For example, I wouldn't even attempt ay decent run at Contra 3 on it. Sure I might play it here and there, but you don't ge thte same "feel" as you do from the original system on a CRT.

Same with The NES Classic. It's close, but the games just aren't as tight.

So yeah. Neat little thing. I would have liked more games (Obviously?) but over the course of it's life I will play it $100 worth of fun. And the little guy looks neat. 

This rounds out my "collection" of SNES's with an OG, a mini, and now a Classic.   
They are also easily hackable so you can add more games to them to fit your tastes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:45:44 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Trj22487

You can readily find them whenever you want. I have been thinking about picking one up soon though, before Black Friday. I suppose you never know if Nintendo will keep producing these for a few more years or not. In reality I don't have about 10 of the games the system has preloaded (where as the NES Classic I own all 30) so there is a bit of incentive for me to get one. I just don't see myself dropping $300 on another Earthbound cart anytime soon.

Yeah my local Walmart had both nes and snes classics the other day. And a Japanese company is working to produce a non-rubbish Sega Mink since they (wisely) revoked their contract with Atgames...

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:53:59 PM
barconcern (4)
(Bastard Operator From Hell) < Tourian Tourist >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Space Jockey
They are also easily hackable so you can add more games to them to fit your tastes.

Yeah, I'm looking at buying a 2nd one to just make it a portable MAME machine.  Hacking it's the beez kneez

If I wanted any lip from you, I'd unzip my pants.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:45:36 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I must say I really love mine. Really happy to finally be able to play SNES with an SNES controller with zero lag, and not have to buy any games for it. Its a system I never really cared to buy for cuz I never had one or played with it seriously until recently.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:23:57 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
It dawned on me that I only beat the "normal" mode in Starfox 2 on the first try, there is still a Hard and Expert. I started up the Hard and it seems like it is basically the same as the original Starfox with three unique paths. Starfox 2 doesn't really operate in 'paths', but the events that take place are certainly different, so that's good. I was thinking "no wonder they cancelled this, I thought Starfox 64 was easy"

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:52:54 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Try it on the hardest mode and the game is just downright nasty. It adds in all sorts of stuff to really fill out the map and also you can get your defense platform virally infected as well and have it turned against the planet until you fly in and disinfect things.