Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2018 Weekly Contests Presents: Super C Contest ends Sunday, 2/25/18 at 11 PM NA time

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:00:57 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

Originally posted by: Bert

So say two people no deathed two loops, wouldn't their scores be identical?
In the same ballpark, yes. The higher score would be the person who “took their time.”

And that's the problem. The higher score will be whoever kills more enemies, but you're not supposed to try to kill more enemies. It's a high score contest where it's against the rules to play for higher score. This is a problem.

Low score/progress would be less fun and cheating would still be possible, but it would make more sense.

There won't be a perfect set of rules for this game.

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:51:07 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I'm going to be a little bitch and not play this game. It's not fun. I don't care for the frustrations. I can't even beat the side scrolling section of stage one.

Page two of the comic should be ready by Wednesday.

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:55:26 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: mbd39

In the same ballpark, yes. The higher score would be the person who "took their time."

And that's the problem. The higher score will be whoever kills more enemies, but you're not supposed to try to kill more enemies. It's a high score contest where it's against the rules to play for higher score. This is a problem.

Low score/progress would be less fun and cheating would still be possible, but it would make more sense.

yeah, Im not saying I don't trust people to play honorably, I just don't understand why it should be a score contest at that point. Wouldn't it be the same to track progress?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:58:42 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

In the same ballpark, yes. The higher score would be the person who “took their time.”

I just play the game and try to be as fast as possible while still being a bit careful. I’m playing it casually and if I get stuck jumping over bullets and shooting fools to stay alive, that’s what I’m doing!  This game is extremely fun and that’s what I intend to have this week with it. Just play the game and enjoy it’s awesomeness!

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:00:25 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

I'm going to be a little bitch and not play this game. It's not fun. I don't care for the frustrations. I can't even beat the side scrolling section of stage one.

“To be fair”....... 🤣
You are a little bitch everyday no matter what you’re doing. Just play the fucking game and get that participation. 

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:05:38 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
How does the scoring work in this game anyway? Is it just enemies killed or does time have to do with it? Powerups?

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:09:58 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

How does the scoring work in this game anyway? Is it just enemies killed or does time have to do with it? Powerups?

I’ve gotten an extra life after shooting a powerup. Not sure about getting the power up. I just get that fucking spread shot and call it good. All other weapons suck it!😂

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:13:35 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

In the same ballpark, yes. The higher score would be the person who "took their time."

yeah, Im not saying I don't trust people to play honorably, I just don't understand why it should be a score contest at that point. Wouldn't it be the same to track progress?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of those rules too, but Bimmy decided that this week will be played like that and we're just going to make it as fun and legit as it can be that way. Just try to shoot most things without crossing the line where it is obviously point pressing.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:19:15 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Oh I'm not trying to crap on the rules or anything, just trying to understand. I'll still have fun with the game  

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:28:15 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

To be honest, I'm not a fan of those rules too, but Bimmy decided that this week will be played like that and we're just going to make it as fun and legit as it can be that way. Just try to shoot most things without crossing the line where it is obviously point pressing.

I thought that the low score/progress rules were perfect for the original Contra. That was a fun week.

I didn't even play pacifist for the most part. I pretty much played normally and without dying, and that was good enough for a respectable 6th place finish.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:35:26 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I always had a tough time getting far in this game, original contra seems like it starts a little slower to let you get into the game super c seems like you get swarmed with aliens and smeared in the first 30 seconds. i need to revisit this game.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:44:29 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

I thought that the low score/progress rules were perfect for the original Contra. That was a fun week.

I didn't even play pacifist for the most part. I pretty much played normally and without dying, and that was good enough for a respectable 6th place finish.

Well, just try doing that again and see where you land?

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:48:53 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Haha. I've never even beaten Super C so that could be first for me this week.

I should be able to do it, but for some reason I've never made it past stage 5. Stage 4 has always given me a lot of trouble as well.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:02:46 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Haha. I've never even beaten Super C so that could be first for me this week.

I should be able to do it, but for some reason I've never made it past stage 5. Stage 4 has always given me a lot of trouble as well.

You'll make it man, and twice! I think you'll be able to beat it multiple times in a row by the end of the week.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:04:38 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
I (semi) understand Bimmy to not make it a infinite loops contest, because last time there was already a couple guys infinitely looping the game over and over and it was just about who got the most time to spent during the week on it at this point.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:16:19 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I played once today and got around 75k. I really don't remember much from this game at all. I *should* have some time to play again tomorrow so I will give it another try.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:16:35 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I (semi) understand Bimmy to not make it a infinite loops contest, because last time there was already a couple guys infinitely looping the game over and over and it was just about who got the most time to spent during the week on it at this point.

I think that infinite loops would work in a one life contest. Too bad Super C doesn't show your score during gameplay.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:42:45 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

I’m going to post early and let the dice fall where they may. Only way I’ll feel good about it, personally.  

Edited: 02/19/2018 at 07:33 AM by SwiftFrost

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:38:34 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Here's an alternate addendum suggestion for the rules

Everything about the rules is exactly the same, except that between two or more players who beat the game on both loops, your relative High Score between other double-loopers becomes irrelevant, and the tiebreaking condition is Number of Lives Remaining.

The reasoning for this rule is that within the top tier of players, the winner is not the one who took the most time and was most careful, but rather the player who was able to get hit less.

This rule presupposes that if you beat the game on both loops, you will have a higher score than someone else who doesn't. (I know in Contra killing the last boss is worth tons of points so I'm assuming its similar here) Which is to say, if you double-loop you are already in the top range of the leaderboards based on Score.

Since Lives are based on Score, there would still be a no-pressing rule, but at the top level of competition, it would feel more like a neck-and-neck, meaningful competition rather than a "cheap victory" (ie, "you killed two more enemies than I did")

My $0.02

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 02/18/2018 at 09:39 PM by Krunch

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:46:00 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Everything about the rules is exactly the same, except that between two or more players who beat the game on both loops, your relative High Score between other double-loopers becomes irrelevant, and the tiebreaking condition is Number of Lives Remaining.

The reasoning for this rule is that within the top tier of players, the winner is not the one who took the most time and was most careful, but rather the player who was able to get hit less.

This rule presupposes that if you beat the game on both loops, you will have a higher score than someone else who doesn't. (I know in Contra killing the last boss is worth tons of points so I'm assuming its similar here) Which is to say, if you double-loop you are already in the top range of the leaderboards based on Score.

Since Lives are based on Score, there would still be a no-pressing rule, but at the top level of competition, it would feel more like a neck-and-neck, meaningful competition rather than a "cheap victory" (ie, "you killed two more enemies than I did")

My $0.02

Maybe multiply your final score by your number of lives remaining when you complete two loops.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:58:09 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Richardhead

“To be fair”....... 🤣
You are a little bitch everyday no matter what you’re doing. Just play the fucking game and get that participation. 

To be fair, I'm still not playing but at least i posted this here so you've got something to bitch about all well long at work. You're welcome

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:05:35 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

My $0.02

Maybe multiply your final score by your number of lives remaining when you complete two loops.

Those are good ideas, I just want Bimmy to make the last call since it was clearly his idea for this contest.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:17:43 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

My $0.02

Those are good ideas, I just want Bimmy to make the last call since it was clearly his idea for this contest.

What Michael said, that cleans up the ruleset nicely

​@guillavoie Yeah see what he says.  I just want this to be a fun contest especially because I always seemed to be busy during Contra weeks i nthe past

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:21:53 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

My $0.02

What Michael said, that cleans up the ruleset nicely

​@guillavoie Yeah see what he says.  I just want this to be a fun contest especially because I always seemed to be busy during Contra weeks i nthe past

I'll do for sure, in the meantime, you guys just need to play the same way, but making sure that you take your picture on the Area 1 start screen if you loop the game twice (like Swiftfrost did).

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:22:07 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Originally posted by: Richardhead

“To be fair”....... 🤣

To be fair, I'm still not playing but at least i posted this here so you've got something to bitch about all well long at work. You're welcome

Eh!
Just play the damn game already!