Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

So I completed a Wii set. My story, guide to Wii rares and Pics!

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:45:59 AM
The Questyen (9)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
Originally posted by: TooMuchPower

Wow what a monumental achievement!

One thing about the Wii which does not get mentioned alot is that it is the LAST SYSTEM TO NOT HAVE DLC, NOT HAVE DAY ONE PATCH, VERSION 1.5 etc. Last of it's generation perhaps.

So in essence every game that was shipped for the Wii everyone will have the same experience. No servers being down or missing an update blah blah blah...Although online play may not work but the game itself is pure from any modifications, the way it was indended by the developer good or bad.
You do realize 99% of the time that a game is patched it's because of technical issues that were not intended by the developer and were found after the game was pressed/shipped.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:08:38 PM
TooMuchPower (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: The Questyen

Originally posted by: TooMuchPower

Wow what a monumental achievement!

One thing about the Wii which does not get mentioned alot is that it is the LAST SYSTEM TO NOT HAVE DLC, NOT HAVE DAY ONE PATCH, VERSION 1.5 etc. Last of it's generation perhaps.

So in essence every game that was shipped for the Wii everyone will have the same experience. No servers being down or missing an update blah blah blah...Although online play may not work but the game itself is pure from any modifications, the way it was indended by the developer good or bad.
You do realize 99% of the time that a game is patched it's because of technical issues that were not intended by the developer and were found after the game was pressed/shipped.

Yes I do, you're welcome.

Edited: 02/11/2017 at 01:14 PM by TooMuchPower

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:15:15 PM
jajaja (8)
(jajaja jajaja) < El Ripper >
Other
Very nice! Congrats on finishing the set!  

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:06:00 PM
Paroos (0)
< Little Mac >
Florida
Originally posted by: NintendoTwizer

I just finished up my Wii set this week.  I wanted to share my experience on completing such a huge library, my master list of all games as well as what I consider are rares for the system.  This is kind of a mega post for Wii collecting.  Although there has been a speculation thread or two on Wii, I don't think there's been a complete system overview.  Everyone knows the ins and outs for the NES, SNES, N64, ect... but the Wii is still mostly uncharted.

First off, shout out to Johnny, The Questyen and XYZ here on Nintendoage, Kacydegamenerd (from youtube), thevgdb and retrothunder (from Instagram) they all have been a huge help with completing my set.  I really appreciate the sharing of information on this. 

My overview on the Wii: 

How many Wii games are in a North American Set? 

Total unique games in a North American Set is:  1264
A list of those game is linked here:   

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/167xxj7wDzazVV75dMxcI...

What does or doesn't that count?
My list counts all unique games for the system.  Includes the three Spanish "Slang" NTSC released games. 

It does not count:
- Variants (cover art, special editions, Nintendo selects)
- Demos (NFR or other demos)
- 2-Packs.  By this I mean games that were packed together and have an outer-sleeve that holds the two Wii games together.  An example of this is Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy Bundle.
- Netflix disc.  This is a fun Wii item to have.  But it's not a game. So it's not counted towards a set. 

My complete Wii list comes from a few sources.  I've cross checked with a few other Wii collectors.  Kacydegamenerd from youtube, thevgdb from Instagram, XYZ from here on NA and with my own collection.  I've looked at what each person was missing and came up with a good master list.  Also thanks to Johnny for helping me proof read it all.  Anyways, I feel like this list is the most accurate on the internet for what is a complete set. 

Is the Wii officially dead, with no more games coming out for it?
That's tough to answer.  Only one game was released for the system in late 2016 (Just Dance 2017).  I get a very strong feeling that no more releases will make it to the system. 

Is it a good time to collect for the Wii?
Heck yeah!  Any long time collector will tell you that the cheapest time to collect for a system is when it's at the low point.  If I made up a graph it would show the Wii in a valley in terms of prices.  When games are new they are expensive.  After five or 10 years, the general public looks at those used games as old hat, no longer the new hot thing.  They are collecting dust in closets and ready to be traded into gamestop, thrift stores, pawn shops or sold at garage sales.  Now after a period of time, the kids that grew up with those systems start wanting to buy back their childhood, nostalgia kicks in high gear.  Suddenly there is a spike in prices.  Think N64.  When I completed my N64 set in 2012, games were cheap.  I average out at under $4.00 per game for a set.  Heck I didn't pay over $45 for a single game.  That included Bomberman Second Attack, Sculptors Cut, ect.   Sure I had some good pick ups here and there, but still, that was during the systems low period.  My point is, that's Wii right now.  Gamestop has a shelves full of Wii games.  A ton for under $5, many in the .99 cent - $3.99 range.  Wait until they do a buy 2 get 1 free on used games.  Over the next two or three years I'm sure gamestop will start to phase out the Wii selection.  Simple reason is shelf space.  Why keep Wii on the shelf if you can have Wii U and Switch in the same spot.  So general public doesn't care about the Wii and the collecting community largely doesn't care about the Wii.  That's the time to pick up games.   

Why the Wii though?
Not just for the reason mentioned above.  The Wii is a fascinating system.  It sold over 100 million units.  It was an insane success for Nintendo.  No other Nintendo home system including the original Nintendo could touch it in sales.  Think about that.  Everyone had one (including my grandma).  For me, I felt it would be an interesting challenge.  The Wii was unexplored territory.  Not many people have gone for a complete set.  Yes, I can hear it now... so much shovel ware.  To that I say sure, there's a ton of great games and a ton of shovelware, but that's cool.  The crappy games tell an interesting story as well.  I don't know how many times I came across a random Wii game and said to myself... "what the hell, they made this for the system?".  That was part of the fun.   I personally had never collected for a system this new.  Go into any Walmart and you will still see a few Wii games on the shelf.  I also had never collected for a set that had soooo many games.  With a 1000+ unique titles.  This set is four times the size of the N64 set. 

What is my history with the Wii?
Let's start at the beginning, the launch of the Wii.  The morning of the midnight launch I called Walmart, it was around noon and I ask if the system would be available and how many they had in stock.  The clerk said yes, they had around 20ish in stock and there was already around 20ish people waiting outside the store.  Well crap, I ran to my car, speed to the store and jumped in line.  I had no time to plan, grab lunch or anything.  I was in it for the long haul, even if that meant standing on a sidewalk for 12 hours.  I counted about 23 people in line in front of me.  I gave myself about 50/50 chance of going home with a Wii.  An hour later a Walmart clerk came out to where everyone was standing.  He had tickets in his hand, each one with a number.  If you got a ticket you could come back at midnight and pick up your Wii.  Tickets were getting dispensed, no problem, until they came to the lady with five kids about three people in front of me.  Now she was putting up a stink "I need six tickets, one for me and one for each one of my kids".  WTF?? I know this ladies game, she's a scalper.  After the Wii was released they sold out everywhere for months, unless you wanted to pay $400-$600 on ebay.  I and everyone behind me was about to riot, but thankfully Walmart had the common sense to limit it to one ticket per family.  She was pissed and I was happy, as I got the second to last ticket.  I went back at midnight, picked up Zelda, Excite Truck and Super Monkey Ball:  Banana Blitz.  I ended up playing games until I finally passed out at around three in the morning. 

By 2014, I've acquired over 100 games over the life time of the Wii, lots of really fantastic titles, one's I've put countless hours into.  In early 2015, I sold my collection to build a house, every game I owned found a new home, all as one huge lot.  My Wii game count was back at zero. 

My December of 2015 my new house was complete.  I designated a spare space for the new game room.  I spent the next year picking up Wii games I saw them.  I detailed every single pick up in this thread:  http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&th...

So there's a crapton of Wii games.  Is anything rare? 

Ah, rares.  Yes, a bunch of Wii games came in very limited quantities.  I've spent over a year compiling what I would consider the most accurate list of rare Wii games.  Base off of current ebay listings, amazon listings and personal experience and I honestly don't think there is a better/more complete list on the internet.  I've made a crappy youtube video on it

Top 40 Rare Wii Titles

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LEc..." width="500">>

In order from least to most rare.  What's rare today, might not be tomorrow.  Rarity changes often, but this is accurate as of January 2017.  Keep an eye on these games, especially the top tier rares as they could be next to impossible to find in the years to come. 

Some pics of the top 40 Rares:

40 - 31

30 - 21

20 - 11

10 - 1

My list:

What games are Uncommon, but didn't make the top 40?
Below are what I would consider 41 – 90.  The list is probably less accurate as after you get out of the top 40, I care less in terms of exact list position.  But I wouldn't be surprised if any of these games jump up in terms of rarity in the following years.  I'm sure there are others that could be added to this list.  Here what I have though for Uncommon Wii games:

What are some of the higher price more desirable but not super rare games?
Here's my list for that.  This may not be complete, but is a good start for some of the more desirable, pricey games (not counting the ones mentioned in the "rares" list). 

How about those Wiimotes.  What's available?
Speaking of just 1st Party Wiimotes.  I've counted 12 unique colors.  All 12 colors came as Wii motion plus.  Four of those colors also came as non-Wii motion plus.  Here's a picture:

What the heck does a complete set look like?

My complete Wii set:

Anymore pics?

As to no overload this thread with a bunch more pics, I put a few of my favorite Wii pictures that I've taken in this gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/5oeAN

That's it.  I welcome any questions.  Thanks for taking a look everyone!

This is just amazing.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:26:23 PM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Did you consider the Netflix disc to be part of the complete set?

-------------------------
VideoGameSage.com

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:33:18 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Paroos

This is just amazing.

Lol that was the longest I ever scrolled through a quoted tweet for a 4-word response  

www.videogamesage.com...

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:41:01 AM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Unreal collection man! The full Wii set looks absolutely incredible! Museum like quality!

May 7, 2017 at 7:46:33 AM
cdawg (3)
(Chantelle ) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
This shit is awesome. I've been into discovering Wii titles lately since there are soooo many I don't know. Sweet setup

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:16:42 PM
dry_bowser (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
@NintendoTwizer
I couldn't find FIFA 14 on your list of North American Wii games. I also can't tell if it is present in one of your pics either. Did you happen to pick it up after creating this thread?

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:32:26 PM
Scott84 (11)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
Anddddd.... here comes a NEW WII GAME... Just Dance 2018... listed on Ubisofts website... confirmed by a UBISOFT Rep at Pax Prime....

https://just-dance.ubisoft.com/en...-

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:43:21 AM
xboxfiend (0)
(nicole abercrombie) < Cherub >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Scott84

Anddddd.... here comes a NEW WII GAME... Just Dance 2018... listed on Ubisofts website... confirmed by a UBISOFT Rep at Pax Prime....

https://just-dance.ubisoft.com/en-ca/buy/index.aspx?ncid=347... -

it shows a wii logo beside the wiiU logo but at the bottom it says this 
"*THIS CONTROLLER APP REQUIRES PURCHASE OF JUST DANCE® 2018 FOR XBOX ONE, PLAYSTATION®4 SYSTEM, NINTENDO SWITCH™ SYSTEM, OR WII U™. APP NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OTHER GAME OR PLATFORMS. 
© 2017 UBISOFT ENTERTAINMENT. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. JUST DANCE, UBISOFT, AND THE UBISOFT LOGO ARE TRADEMARKS OF UBISOFT ENTERTAINMENT IN THE US AND/OR OTHER COUNTRIES. “PLAYSTATION” AND THE “PS” FAMILY LOGO ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT INC. NINTENDO TRADEMARKS AND COPYRIGHTS ARE PROPERTIES OF NINTENDO. SOFTWARE PLATFORM LOGO (TM AND ©  OGA 2017. "
and the US site doesn't even show the regular Wii as an option to preorder sadly...   still keeping my fingers crossed tho.

so thx for the info,
- ex Nihilo

EDIT: nm i see a wii pre-order form now  

Edited: 09/10/2017 at 02:26 PM by xboxfiend

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:06:08 PM
Let's Sing 2016 (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: NintendoTwizer

I just finished up my Wii set this week.  I wanted to share my experience on completing such a huge library, my master list of all games as well as what I consider are rares for the system.  This is kind of a mega post for Wii collecting.  Although there has been a speculation thread or two on Wii, I don't think there's been a complete system overview.  Everyone knows the ins and outs for the NES, SNES, N64, ect... but the Wii is still mostly uncharted.

First off, shout out to Johnny, The Questyen and XYZ here on Nintendoage, Kacydegamenerd (from youtube), thevgdb and retrothunder (from Instagram) they all have been a huge help with completing my set.  I really appreciate the sharing of information on this. 

My overview on the Wii: 

How many Wii games are in a North American Set? 

Total unique games in a North American Set is:  1264
A list of those game is linked here:   

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/167xxj7wDzazVV75dMxcI...

What does or doesn't that count?
My list counts all unique games for the system.  Includes the three Spanish "Slang" NTSC released games. 

It does not count:
- Variants (cover art, special editions, Nintendo selects)
- Demos (NFR or other demos)
- 2-Packs.  By this I mean games that were packed together and have an outer-sleeve that holds the two Wii games together.  An example of this is Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy Bundle.
- Netflix disc.  This is a fun Wii item to have.  But it's not a game. So it's not counted towards a set. 

My complete Wii list comes from a few sources.  I've cross checked with a few other Wii collectors.  Kacydegamenerd from youtube, thevgdb from Instagram, XYZ from here on NA and with my own collection.  I've looked at what each person was missing and came up with a good master list.  Also thanks to Johnny for helping me proof read it all.  Anyways, I feel like this list is the most accurate on the internet for what is a complete set. 

Is the Wii officially dead, with no more games coming out for it?
That's tough to answer.  Only one game was released for the system in late 2016 (Just Dance 2017).  I get a very strong feeling that no more releases will make it to the system. 

Is it a good time to collect for the Wii?
Heck yeah!  Any long time collector will tell you that the cheapest time to collect for a system is when it's at the low point.  If I made up a graph it would show the Wii in a valley in terms of prices.  When games are new they are expensive.  After five or 10 years, the general public looks at those used games as old hat, no longer the new hot thing.  They are collecting dust in closets and ready to be traded into gamestop, thrift stores, pawn shops or sold at garage sales.  Now after a period of time, the kids that grew up with those systems start wanting to buy back their childhood, nostalgia kicks in high gear.  Suddenly there is a spike in prices.  Think N64.  When I completed my N64 set in 2012, games were cheap.  I average out at under $4.00 per game for a set.  Heck I didn't pay over $45 for a single game.  That included Bomberman Second Attack, Sculptors Cut, ect.   Sure I had some good pick ups here and there, but still, that was during the systems low period.  My point is, that's Wii right now.  Gamestop has a shelves full of Wii games.  A ton for under $5, many in the .99 cent - $3.99 range.  Wait until they do a buy 2 get 1 free on used games.  Over the next two or three years I'm sure gamestop will start to phase out the Wii selection.  Simple reason is shelf space.  Why keep Wii on the shelf if you can have Wii U and Switch in the same spot.  So general public doesn't care about the Wii and the collecting community largely doesn't care about the Wii.  That's the time to pick up games.   

Why the Wii though?
Not just for the reason mentioned above.  The Wii is a fascinating system.  It sold over 100 million units.  It was an insane success for Nintendo.  No other Nintendo home system including the original Nintendo could touch it in sales.  Think about that.  Everyone had one (including my grandma).  For me, I felt it would be an interesting challenge.  The Wii was unexplored territory.  Not many people have gone for a complete set.  Yes, I can hear it now... so much shovel ware.  To that I say sure, there's a ton of great games and a ton of shovelware, but that's cool.  The crappy games tell an interesting story as well.  I don't know how many times I came across a random Wii game and said to myself... "what the hell, they made this for the system?".  That was part of the fun.   I personally had never collected for a system this new.  Go into any Walmart and you will still see a few Wii games on the shelf.  I also had never collected for a set that had soooo many games.  With a 1000+ unique titles.  This set is four times the size of the N64 set. 

What is my history with the Wii?
Let's start at the beginning, the launch of the Wii.  The morning of the midnight launch I called Walmart, it was around noon and I ask if the system would be available and how many they had in stock.  The clerk said yes, they had around 20ish in stock and there was already around 20ish people waiting outside the store.  Well crap, I ran to my car, speed to the store and jumped in line.  I had no time to plan, grab lunch or anything.  I was in it for the long haul, even if that meant standing on a sidewalk for 12 hours.  I counted about 23 people in line in front of me.  I gave myself about 50/50 chance of going home with a Wii.  An hour later a Walmart clerk came out to where everyone was standing.  He had tickets in his hand, each one with a number.  If you got a ticket you could come back at midnight and pick up your Wii.  Tickets were getting dispensed, no problem, until they came to the lady with five kids about three people in front of me.  Now she was putting up a stink "I need six tickets, one for me and one for each one of my kids".  WTF?? I know this ladies game, she's a scalper.  After the Wii was released they sold out everywhere for months, unless you wanted to pay $400-$600 on ebay.  I and everyone behind me was about to riot, but thankfully Walmart had the common sense to limit it to one ticket per family.  She was pissed and I was happy, as I got the second to last ticket.  I went back at midnight, picked up Zelda, Excite Truck and Super Monkey Ball:  Banana Blitz.  I ended up playing games until I finally passed out at around three in the morning. 

By 2014, I've acquired over 100 games over the life time of the Wii, lots of really fantastic titles, one's I've put countless hours into.  In early 2015, I sold my collection to build a house, every game I owned found a new home, all as one huge lot.  My Wii game count was back at zero. 

My December of 2015 my new house was complete.  I designated a spare space for the new game room.  I spent the next year picking up Wii games I saw them.  I detailed every single pick up in this thread:  http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&th...

So there's a crapton of Wii games.  Is anything rare? 

Ah, rares.  Yes, a bunch of Wii games came in very limited quantities.  I've spent over a year compiling what I would consider the most accurate list of rare Wii games.  Base off of current ebay listings, amazon listings and personal experience and I honestly don't think there is a better/more complete list on the internet.  I've made a crappy youtube video on it

Top 40 Rare Wii Titles

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LEc..." width="500">>

In order from least to most rare.  What's rare today, might not be tomorrow.  Rarity changes often, but this is accurate as of January 2017.  Keep an eye on these games, especially the top tier rares as they could be next to impossible to find in the years to come. 

Some pics of the top 40 Rares:

40 - 31

30 - 21

20 - 11

10 - 1

My list:

What games are Uncommon, but didn't make the top 40?
Below are what I would consider 41 – 90.  The list is probably less accurate as after you get out of the top 40, I care less in terms of exact list position.  But I wouldn't be surprised if any of these games jump up in terms of rarity in the following years.  I'm sure there are others that could be added to this list.  Here what I have though for Uncommon Wii games:

What are some of the higher price more desirable but not super rare games?
Here's my list for that.  This may not be complete, but is a good start for some of the more desirable, pricey games (not counting the ones mentioned in the "rares" list). 

How about those Wiimotes.  What's available?
Speaking of just 1st Party Wiimotes.  I've counted 12 unique colors.  All 12 colors came as Wii motion plus.  Four of those colors also came as non-Wii motion plus.  Here's a picture:

What the heck does a complete set look like?

My complete Wii set:

Anymore pics?

As to no overload this thread with a bunch more pics, I put a few of my favorite Wii pictures that I've taken in this gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/5oeAN

That's it.  I welcome any questions.  Thanks for taking a look everyone!

I have to ask- does your complete set include FIFA 14? And if so, wouldn't it be rarer than Atrevete a Sonar and Lucha Libre- possibly even the rarest NTSC release?

I'd also like to ask, as somebody who is also making sure to get the Wii rarities, do you think any more previously unknown games will turn up?

Jul 13, 2018 at 6:23:36 PM
cippa lippa (0)

< Cherub >
absolutely amazing. I love Wii console

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:22:18 PM
NesPicc (0)

< Cherub >
Sorry to necro an old thread, but I was wondering if people still felt like the list of top wii rarities posted here accurately reflected availability in 2018.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:38:23 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: NesPicc

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I was wondering if people still felt like the list of top wii rarities posted here accurately reflected availability in 2018.

I'm no expert on the Wii (have maybe 150 games for it), but I would say that yes, the list of perceived rare titles in 2015 still holds mostly true today.

www.videogamesage.com...

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:45:15 PM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
that is one nice assortment of game(s) on those shelves .... esp complete

Apr 13 at 2:00:41 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Originally posted by: NesPicc

I'll necro too and in my opinion the rarity of 101 Sports MegaMix has not held up and isnt top 40, just a quick cursory search on eBay gives me about 6 or 7 copies in varying condition.  That game peaked in the mid-100's and it has only plummeted, now is like 25-30.  I'm not saying its super common just that its not top 40, especially looking at the other games in those pics, idk about you guys but I have never seen or heard of most of these games.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Apr 13 at 3:40:29 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Yeah, I personally don't know what rare or not anymore. I think my list is still a good general guide, but these things always change as time goes on. I did notice a price jump when I had first put out the list, but I think prices have cooled down on the harder to find titles since the initial hype has died down.

Apr 13 at 9:16:30 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Now which of the top 40 are actually good games, because I'm pretty sure most are shovelware that had low print runs.

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 13 at 9:16:38 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Now which of the top 40 are actually good games, because I'm pretty sure most are shovelware that had low print runs.

My WTB thread

Apr 14 at 11:12:44 AM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: yukfou

Rare games really do be like that though.

VideoGameSage.com

Apr 14 at 8:55:38 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Rare games really do be like that though.

Some can be rare and fun. It doesn't happen often but it does happen

My WTB thread

Apr 16 at 2:03:23 PM
melodious_punk (2)
(Kevin Fredericks) < Crack Trooper >
Nevada
That is extremely impressive. You have to have a genuine love for the system to make that work.

On the future nostalgia for the Wii: Yes. Nostalgia is strongest when it is related to something that was fun, ubiqiuitous, and beautiful. The Wii console is very plain but the cultural significance is massive.

Force without justice is violence. Justice without force is useless.

Apr 16 at 2:12:33 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
There are still some titles that I've never seen in person. I know that there has been some movement on the top 40 "rare" and the following 50 uncommon titles.

Haves     |     Wants

Apr 17 at 8:05:22 PM
theclaw (78)
(Lum Fan) < Lolo Lord >
Washington

Not much Guilty Gear love these days.

This is a signature-tcha!