Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Indiana Jones N64 glitch survival guide! Can people with experience of this game offer any tips?

May 10 at 8:53:25 AM
KogoroMX (0)
< Cherub >
Germany
Originally posted by: OptOut

Welcome to NA Kogoro, good to have you on board!  

I've been getting a little distracted playing some other games recently, but last night I decided I am going to make Indy my sole focus until I beat it from now on. I would actually really appreciate if you could describe the situation you encountered on the last level, so I know what to expect. Honestly I am not to worried about things like spoilers in movies and games too much, so please feel free to spoil away so I can prepare!

I was quite surprised, the last few levels I beat I didn't experience any crashes at all! But, yeah it does feel like it can happen at any time, so I absolutely make sure to save EVERY time I pick up an item or solve a puzzle, so I'm never too far from where I left off. Actually, because I have made myself so aware of the potential problems of the game, I feel as though I have been getting a real enjoyable experience so far with it. Probably if I picked it up without having knowledge of the problems in advance, I would have been quite upset by the experience.

So hopefully this thread can continue to help others find the joy and genuine art and solid design that has gone into this game, and help overlook the flaws!  
Thank you for welcoming me!  
Yeah, I also really like the art style of the game - it's pretty unique if you ask me! By the way, i found an interesting interview online which also reveals some of the techniques used to get Indy running on the N64 (click here). It's quite impressing and also explains why the game crashes so often. It's also the reason for the game being one of the few N64 titles that couldn't be emulated for a long time.
There is also a website which lists many possible glitches - I have encountered a few of them, but not all. Nonetheless, it's super interesting to read!

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING EXPLANATION CONTAINS SPOILERS!
Okay, so I will try to explain the glitch to you: At the end of the "Aetherium" level, there is a huge circular room in which the final boss fight happens. This boss room is also very tall. Before you get to fight the boss at the ground level, you are in fact on a higher ground to collect some gems which you will need later. To get to the low ground without falling from a great height, there are shafts of aether which will allow you to "swim" to the ground. I fought the boss, but I died during the fight (which is pretty likely because the bad performance is also making things worse). When I reloaded my save, the shafts of aether had disappeared, which meant that I was no longer able to get to the ground level without dying instantly. This made the game unbeatable at this point. I had to restart the level, but then again, after saving the aether kept disappearing. Turning the console on and off didn't fix the issue. Apparently, this glitch also occured to other people as I read a description of it online. Maybe there's a chance that the glitch doesn't occur - if it does, the only method to avoid it is to beat the boss in one go without dying.  

<- This picture shows how the aether shaft is missing

May 10 at 9:08:51 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Wow, that seems like a bad one! Thanks very much for sharing this with me, as I don't remember reading about that glitch before! I will definitely do my best to try and avoid this happening to me also, if I can.

Anyway, as I said before, I have gotten back in the case with Indy today! I completed the jeep level, which was a fun little change of pace compared to the other levels. The jeep doesn't control very well, but I found it fun to drive, so I liked that level quite a lot. Now I'm in the temple in Mexico, seems good so far, but I didn't have much more time left to get far into it today. Probably play some more tomorrow!

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

May 18 at 12:12:23 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Uh oh... Indiana Jones in a mine cart, something tells me this level's gonna be tricky! And just look at this map, and FIVE levers to change the track route... Geez, I think I'm gonna be here a while figuring this one out, lol!

Just finished the boat and pyramid levels, awesome stuff, probably the best levels yet. Really glad I've finally had the chance to play this game, it really is a good one, so happy!  

May 20 at 6:52:00 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Ok, all done! Overall, wasn't nearly as buggy and broken as I had feared based on its reputation. As others mentioned previously, perhaps another couple months in the oven (or just a larger team working on it) could have polished down the rough edges. Of course, now I'm done with the game, I am also in a position to pass on my experience to newcomers, so hopefully this thread can serve as a guide to future adventurers also!  

Oct 10 at 5:36:13 PM
KogoroMX (0)
< Cherub >
Germany
Hey there, it's been a while since I last posted something here ^^' 

I just wanted to add something to this collection of experiences we've made with the game so far. As I've already said, the fatal and frustrating save state glitch in the last level made me put away the game for quite a while. A few months ago, I actually tried to beat it, but this time using an Action Replay (the European equivalent of the GameShark). It was a hassle to get some codes to work, but I found one which made Indy invincible (though I only got it working in low-res mode). The sound was really messed up at times (since the MusyX system seems to malfunction even more without an expansion pak). I'm not too sure because it's been a while ago, but I think the game crashed while using the Action Replay. When I restarted the console, the game wouldn't let me load any levels from my save file! I was baffled. It seems that it corrupted my save file very badly. However, the number of artifacts which I collected on every level would still show up correctly. Just the levels didn't load and the game would freeze (even when using the game with no Action Replay inserted at all!).
So what I want to say is... be warned if you use an Action Replay (or GameShark) on this game! It may corrupt your save file! 
The other save files seemed to be okay from what I tested back then. I don't know for sure whether the save file slot which I used the cheat device on is destroyed forever, but I don't want to risk rendering my game cartridge useless by doing further tests now...
Maybe I will try using the in-game cheats to get to play the hidden level at one of the uncorrupted files at least. I wish I could see the ending cutscene of the game on my own console but I guess it will take a while until I recover from my "trauma" xD

Oct 11 at 6:47:07 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Oof, bad luck dude!

I remember having some trouble on the final level, figuring out exactly how to whip that electrode thing with the charged energy. But somehow I got it to work and I never needed to worry about any other issues, just breezed through the rest of the stage in beat the final boss.

I do remember enjoying the final part though, where you need to run through the temple as it's collapsing, that was really fun!