Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

WATA Certified game breaks 6 figures Earliest known sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $100,150!

Feb 15 at 1:10:50 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

You can even spend a decade research box artists, if you want to (not recommended).
You seem to speak from experience.  

Feb 15 at 1:12:33 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: MrClutch

I saw this on Facebook and knew there would be a dramatic thread here on NA.

Yeah, when I first saw the number of replies, I thought "There's no way this thread had 70+ replies just on the game without some added drama in the mix."

As usual, you guys did not disappoint.

Feb 15 at 1:26:33 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
I'm just of the mind set collect what and how you want to collect. This sale shouldn't cause an argument because it only effects the seller and the buyers and can only be positive for heritage and Wata. I'm pulling for Wata. It seems they have a good thing going so if the game is used as advertisement then props to them.

Feb 15 at 1:31:49 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Entertaining thread, sounds like there are some far bigger collections than I would've imagined or reasonably expected. Teach me your ways

Feb 15 at 1:42:33 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Beabull

Entertaining thread, sounds like there are some far bigger collections than I would've imagined or reasonably expected. Teach me your ways
1) Make money
2) Buy games, flip extras
3)?
4)Profit!

Feb 15 at 1:49:41 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

1) Make money
2) Buy games, flip extras
3)?
4)Profit!

That's too simple, I want the deep tricks and secrets.

Feb 15 at 1:51:32 PM
pujolsfan (116)
< King Solomon >
Missouri
Pretty awesome. I could see the investment paying off sometime down the road. Still, too big of a gamble for me. Good for them though. That's exciting stuff!

Feb 15 at 2:05:08 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Out of genuine curiosity, how does possession work for something share-purchased like this?   Do you keep it in a centralized vault, does one person hang onto it and the others can access it for shows whenever, etc?

I'm pretty sure it works sort of like this.

-------------------------

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Feb 15 at 2:06:19 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

There's always gamewheels.  

Feb 15 at 2:27:30 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
pretty cool to see WATA on a big game like this. sure going to spark some interest there. well done.

Let's Go Penguins!

Feb 15 at 2:33:12 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >

Never heard of a gamewheel. I'll have a look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Feb 15 at 2:34:29 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

Don't.

Feb 15 at 2:36:05 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
This thread hahahaha

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 15 at 2:36:07 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Just throw your money in the garbage, its the same thing

Feb 15 at 2:43:06 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, I was joking.

Does this smiley   not convey that anymore?  

Feb 15 at 2:43:36 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Just throw your money in the garbage, its the same thing

Sounds like I've been given bad advice.

Feb 15 at 2:55:11 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >

Yeah, I was joking.

Does this smiley   not convey that anymore?  

I thought it was like in real life when you give someone something helpful, generally it is gratifying, so you smile. Thought maybe you were conveying that. Like when big brother gives little brother a hint on how to pick up the ladies or good advice for an interview to land a job. You know, I imagine during those conversations a smile is passed. We could've been brothers on here, but then you duped me.

Feb 15 at 3:03:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
This is a smile.  

This is a jokey smiley.  

When guys give you pick up advice I don't think they make a face like Miley Cyrus.

Feb 15 at 3:25:15 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: imanerd0011

What I want to know is, what is this exact version of SMB worth in mint complete condition. So basically the exact same thing as this, just not sealed and graded. Is it even worth $200?
Yeah my initial thoughts were "quite the multiplier!" but you'd have to compare a true wata graded sticker seal in high grade condition to make a good comparison.  I don't believe we've seen a data point on that and it would depend on matte vs. gloss sticker seal, but I'd assume that could pull in the $500-$1000 range when graded nicely with minimal wear.  Maybe higher with the BB hype that is in full effect at the moment. 

Honestly, this is an INSANE multiiplier!  Think about it, a complete SE is worth roughly 20k, and the sealed one sold for 41k, so a 2x multiplier.  
If this game is worth less than $500 in sealed mint condition, then this is a 200x multiplier for a sealed copy.  What in god's freaking name!

Also, what is the big deal with Wata?  I have never heard of them until this point, and thought that VGA is the main authority.  

Feb 15 at 3:27:36 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Also, what is the big deal with Wata?  I have never heard of them until this point, and thought that VGA is the main authority.  

It's good to have competition. That way they both work to a common standard.

Wata's service was announced sometime last year (or maybe before that) and has been gaining ground ever since.

Edited: 02/15/2019 at 03:33 PM by Tulpa

Feb 15 at 3:38:33 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I just saw this on the front page (at the bottom) of Fox News so w00t for this making national news!

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/unop...

Also, regarding the comment just made about "Wata who?" I was soooo glad to see that VGA grading has a competitor and, praise Jesus, it's ran by people who are passionate about games. I don't know the name of the parent company but VGA is also owned by the same company that primarily grades comics, cards, toys and many other collectibles. They are a business and seem to care little about the fine details of these items. As such, they've been caught making gross mistakes and have mislabeled stuff and they are by no means an "authority" on any of these collectibles. They are good for basically gauging condition and even that tends to be quite subjective since some, even here, have submitted their gMes multiple times until they received prefered grades. No grading house is perfect but at least Wata is passionate about one thing-- video games.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Feb 15 at 3:42:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: rlh
I don't know the name of the parent company but VGA is also owned by the same company that primarily grades comics, cards, toys and many other collectibles. T

CGA, Collectable Grading Authority. They have divisions for dolls, action figures, diecasts, and others.

Feb 15 at 3:42:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Originally posted by: jonebone

What I want to know is, what is this exact version of SMB worth in mint complete condition. So basically the exact same thing as this, just not sealed and graded. Is it even worth $200?
Yeah my initial thoughts were "quite the multiplier!" but you'd have to compare a true wata graded sticker seal in high grade condition to make a good comparison.  I don't believe we've seen a data point on that and it would depend on matte vs. gloss sticker seal, but I'd assume that could pull in the $500-$1000 range when graded nicely with minimal wear.  Maybe higher with the BB hype that is in full effect at the moment. 

Honestly, this is an INSANE multiiplier!  Think about it, a complete SE is worth roughly 20k, and the sealed one sold for 41k, so a 2x multiplier.  
If this game is worth less than $500 in sealed mint condition, then this is a 200x multiplier for a sealed copy.  What in god's freaking name!

Forget multipliers.   That's only one way of looking at it.    Here's another way:

A sticker sealed SMB is harder to find than a sealed SE.   

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 15 at 3:48:43 PM
FantomTesla (1)
(Michael W) < Little Mac >
Tennessee

When guys give you pick up advice I don't think they make a face like Miley Cyrus.

This made me laugh out loud when I originally read it. 25-30 minutes later, its still making me chuckle for some reason. Kudos.

Feb 15 at 3:54:24 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Just ordered an emoji dictionary from amazon, not to be mistaken again