Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2nd Annual Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Charity Game Show Kelso WA April 9th 2011 Special guest speaker Thor Aackerlund!

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:53:47 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Can't decide if my favorite part was...
A) Watching Thor play Tetris on Jeff's Arcade.
B) Watching Robin sit there while that guy took pictures of him and Thor for like an hour and watching Robin's smile decrease with each click.
C) Watching AND partaking with Scott in Jeff's 900+ NES carts for $1 each boxes. That was fun for us, but I'll bet you went home with nothing but Golf, Silent Service, and 100 copies of Anticipation!
D) Greeting Tusky for the first time in person appropriately enough by shoving a large object up his...  That's for taking my money in the basketball bet homie!

I am going to have to vote for A. Thor and Robin acted like it was nothing that Thor rolled the score TWICE on PMA'a Tengen machine, and beat the world record. If only a Twin Galaxies ref was there. Thor played so long he got bored and left the machine. How good is he?
What about E:
Josh auctioning off his ENTIRE table, "blue tub to blue tub"? and the fact that nobody really wanted it. Josh always gives away all his stuff. He rocks...

Did all the $1 each games get sold to "one guy"???

-------------------------
My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Edited: 04/09/2011 at 11:55 PM by Benihana

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:01:00 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Well Josh is infamous for his "What am I bid for the whole table" tactic. But I noticed the crowd was really good from like 10-12 and then it really thinned out. Was pretty much an NA convention for awhile there. Did it pick back up later after lunch? I was already back on the road by the later part of the show.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:07:22 AM
Benihana (154)
Washington
Meh, we had lunch at 2 after Robin and Thor spoke. Never really picked back up...just more NA'ers hangin out and playing games...it was funny, as soon as Josh did a 1/2 sale, everybody was doing it...every 5 minutes a new table had everything 1/2...then Josh topped them all with the buy it all now auction...EPIC!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:12:34 AM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
I'll have to upload the video of him playing, and it's funny that he sat there and played through the game for a while, then nonchalantly says "I think I'm going to roll the score twice, I don't think that's ever been done on a machine before."

I did a rough count and still have ~650 games, but that dude wouldn't take them all for $300, and I guess I don't blame him. Definitely have a ton of Golf, Silent Service and Play Action Football left over!

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:27:28 AM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Benihana

Meh, we had lunch at 2 after Robin and Thor spoke. Never really picked back up...just more NA'ers hangin out and playing games...it was funny, as soon as Josh did a 1/2 sale, everybody was doing it...every 5 minutes a new table had everything 1/2...then Josh topped them all with the buy it all now auction...EPIC!

Yeah, it was a good show but slowed way down halfway through. A lot of familiar faces from the Portland show. I did well by staying until the end. All the vendors that had been eyeing stuff on my table ran over and swooped it all up. Sold the Contra Force, 2 Bonk's Adventures, the Deluxe Set and the CDX in the last 5 minutes all at full price

And it was great meeting Thor and Tusky. I was quite impressed by how personal Thor got with his answers in the Q&A.

Thanks again John Hancock. You're the man!

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:35:17 AM
swlovinist (104)
(John Hancock) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Awesome Show, loved the strong NA presence again this year. The show raised approx 2,750 for Childrens Justice and Advocacy Center. Several positive things about this year. While the show did die down in the afternoon, it was bigger and better than last year. A couple of highlights:

* Thor and Robin at the show together was wonderful. A great presentation and all around vibe that PRGE works really hard at creating. Everyone was very stoked about that presentation.

* Minus World and the arcade selection was great. The Donkey Kong 3 was a personal favorite of one my close friends.

* Autographed Carts sold out but one...which will be on auction here starting tonight(three day auction)

* Lots and lots of deals on a wide variety of games and systems, import, old, new, and even bizarre.

* To all who could attend, thank you so much for making this show a success for CJAC. Please share pics and postings of the event. The show had an approximately attendance of about 200 total, which is double what last year was.

It is true that the show died down in the afternoon, but last year the show was dead at 3:00.  We are making progress, thanks to the support of this site!

Follow me on YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/swlo...

Edited: 04/10/2011 at 12:36 AM by swlovinist

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:35:27 AM
Benihana (154)
Washington
Last 5 minutes as sticker price? Nice sell...they were at good prices anyway...figure somebody is going to flip them...I would have scooped them if I had any $$ left...damn me and my cash flow limits...

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:28:15 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
had a great time guys!

see ya'lll in september.

ps vince
see you tomorrow
...js on me

eBay listings here

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:29:30 AM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: qixmaster

had a great time guys!

see ya'lll in september.

ps vince
see you tomorrow
...bj's on me

fixed.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:38:46 AM
recycledgamer (1)
(Chuck Gamer) < Little Mac >
Oregon
What can I say, it was an awesome show and it was nice to see so many NA faces.

Even after the slow start due to technical AV issues, the Thor/Robin combo was pure gold. As much as I LOVED hearing about the details of the NWC, it was Thor's candid story of how he came to terms with his history with the NWC and how Robin reached out to him and forged a friendship 20 years later that put a lump squarely in my throat. Bravo sirs.

I'm starting to come down from my post game expo endorphin rush so I'll sign off now, but I look forward to seeing everyone in May at the Seattle show.

Chuck

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:33:52 PM
swlovinist (104)
(John Hancock) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
http://tdn.com/news/article_a0069...

another article in the paper. Thanks to all who supported the show. Next up is SRGE in Seattle, I can hardly wait.

Follow me on YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/swlo...

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:12:46 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington

Pretty happy with the stuff I got.  Nothing in the picture cost much at all.  All the carts were $1 each including the two with manuals.  The PS1 long boxes were about $2 each on average.  But most happy that I got both Thor and Robin to sign my NANWC repro.  Good Time!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:33:38 PM
Benihana (154)
Washington
Oh yeah, forgot my pic's
Blew my load on "higher" priced games early..but was happy...then I started picking up some more commons I needed to fill the holes...Tried to spend all of my $$ but people kept just throwing stuff at me...the freebies (Josh) made it so much better!!!
Highlighted items for me
Dragon Warrior 3 and 4...completed the series...
Cowlitz autographed cart #23 of 30
Portland 2008 2600 cart...#24 of 50
Thor and Robin signing my NWC repro manual..
Atari 7800 controllers ($3 bucks. Thanks RICK!)
oh--Finally got RBI 3 (freebie, thanks to Gerald) to finish the set too..

Missa also grabbed these great shirts...She is absolutly IN LOVE with the MK rear view mirror shirt.
Wonder who could have made such great shirts???
Thanks again guys...best show we have been to yet!!!!

Edited: 04/10/2011 at 05:35 PM by Benihana

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:13:51 AM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
There were two incredibly handsome young men near the front of the room selling those amazing shirts! An artist that we know owes us three designs, so we should have some new shirts for Seattle.

I actually had more fun at this show than I did at the Portland one! I didn't buy anything this time, I was looking for SNES carts to trade to bunnyboy but couldn't find any <$10, so I don't have anything to show off.