Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Super Mario Bros. Contest ends Sunday, 2/9/14 at 11 PM NA time

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:14:16 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

• No turtle hopping trick allowed (specifically, no continuous hopping on one turtle to earn points.  Not everyone is skilled enough to pull this off)

I'd like some clarifications about this. Is it forbidding what we usually call the 1up trick?

If yes, is it the only thing that is actually forbidden?

I would assume that is the "turtle hopping trick" since it is the only real score-racking technique in the game.

Though it may extend to repeatedly kicking a turtle or beetle that gets trapped between two pipes.

I think you're right and it also means no hopping on a turtle stuck between pipes. This is actually a rule from twingalaxies.

-------------------------

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:22:10 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

• No turtle hopping trick allowed (specifically, no continuous hopping on one turtle to earn points.  Not everyone is skilled enough to pull this off)

I'd like some clarifications about this. Is it forbidding what we usually call the 1up trick?

I would assume that is the "turtle hopping trick" since it is the only real score-racking technique in the game.

Though it may extend to repeatedly kicking a turtle or beetle that gets trapped between two pipes.

I think you're right and it also means no hopping on a turtle stuck between pipes. This is actually a rule from twingalaxies.

Makes sense, and I agree with the rule.

It is really not in the spirit of the game to do that particular exploit, and unless I'm missing something, that is quite possibly the only actual score-related exploit in the game if you are constrained to a single life.

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:56:52 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
The only Super Mario game I've ever beaten is the first one for Gameboy. I just cleaned the 72 pin connector on the Nintendo Gaiden (the name of my NES) so I'll be firing this up shortly!

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:01:58 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: jump_man95

I worry that some may find this restriction rediculous and ignore it, while others will begrudgingly follow the rule.
And I have a question of my own about the "1 life" rule. Does this mean that we must intentionally kill ourselves twice before we may begin scoring points? Also does that mean we are not allowed to collect 1-up mushrooms? And about the "one playthrough" rule, Does that mean that if we are able to beat the game, we must pause before the game begins again. And we have to submit the score then, and not continue the game that would then play at a higher difficulty?

When it comes to the 1-life rule, you do not intentionally kill yourself to get to your last life.  You play with the first life given to you at the start of the game.  While it's not forbidden to collect 1-up mushrooms, there's really no point in doing it since you're only allowed one life.  And if anyone thinks they are going to collect extra lives and try to cheat the system by playing with more than one life and claiming they only died once, don't even think about.  Anyone doing this will be banned from the contests.  For the one playthrough rule, you must take your picture when you rescue the princess.  You can pause the game on this screen, so it shouldn't be difficult to get a picture.  If you beat the game and let it continue on to the second playthrough, your score will not count.  The reason I'm only allowing one playthrough is so the contest doesn't become a tedious grind.

Also, you will have to resubmit the score you posted since there should be no pictures taken on the Title Screen since it doesn't prove you played the game with one life.

To answer some more questions:
  • VC versions of the game are okay as long as they are not different from the NES version.  In other words, they should be the exact same game.  SMB on Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES will not be allowed.
  • I'm making a change to the rules so that no turtle or beetle hopping tricks will be allowed.  It's okay to hop on a turtle or beetle and send the shell flying into enemies, but continuously bouncing a shell off a pipe, wall, etc to rack up points will be forbidden.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:10:14 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: eCockpit

NEW SCORE: 443100

I'm going to let this score slide since you showed a picture of your setup earlier with your username, but don't forget to attach your username to the monitor for future submissions.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:14:50 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Also, you will have to resubmit the score you posted since there should be no pictures taken on the Title Screen since it doesn't prove you played the game with one life.

Indeed, take your picture right after you lose your life, it is the best way to see if the score is legit given where you are in the game.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:15:11 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
So if I make it to the minus world am I automatically declared the champion?

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:23:36 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: gutsman004

You turn your score into a minus score since it is the "Minus World"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:25:12 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

Dammit gutsman i already had this trick in my mind to get 11 points and beat the system.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:36:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

You turn your score into a minus score since it is the "Minus World"

Oh noes!!! Me master plan is ruined!!!

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:43:21 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: eCockpit

NEW SCORE: 443100

That's exactly where I died in my run. Stupid moving girders. Of course dodging bullet bills doesn't help things either.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:20:55 PM
RetroDave (41)
(Dave T) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Ah, Week 1. A nice, classic game to kick things off.

I plan on putting some time in and really trying to compete in 2014, after sitting out the Winter 2013 contest.

Good luck to everyone who competes!

For sale/trade.  Want to trade for.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:21:10 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
I spent about 5 hours on this today. Perhaps you notice where the controller is. I purposely took a picture to capture the controller. No, I did not casually place the controller there to get my camera. The controller landed right there, oddly, right after I spiked it into the ground in celebration.

923,450 - 8-4

Edited: 02/09/2014 at 10:47 PM by SwiftFrost

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:05:58 PM
eCockpit (12)
(Ethan ) < El Ripper >
Iowa

548500!

If all else fails, use Fire!

My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:51:13 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
EDIT: A bit better of a score.

Edited: 02/09/2014 at 09:05 PM by BenPlusPlus

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:40:28 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania

Of course I had to die right when it started getting good :/

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:48:53 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

464.100  first try.

BTW don't you guys love sunshine on your screen.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:29:28 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Dennis Fleaman

BTW don't you guys love sunshine on your screen.
Sunshine? What is this sorcery you speak of?

Edited: 02/04/2014 at 08:29 AM by SwiftFrost

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:22:19 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
^^^ LOL love the avatar btw

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:53:27 AM
Notrevania (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Scotland
Oh I just noticed the no emulator rule this week, I'll have to sit this one out since I only have a PAL console and games. Good luck to those competing.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:15:34 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
^^ get yourself a powerpak so you can play USA games.
Most of the nes pirate consoles are ntsc so check your pirate consoles if you have some.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:20:59 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

551150 died because of a glitch ! A glitch !! Controller went flying.  :I 

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:48:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Dennis Fleaman

^^ get yourself a powerpak so you can play USA games.
Most of the nes pirate consoles are ntsc so check your pirate consoles if you have some.
Does that fix the PAL vs NTSC timing?  I thought the clock in the console itself was different.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:48:56 PM
jump_man95 (4)
(David Wehar) < Crack Trooper >
Virginia

I worry that some may find this restriction rediculous and ignore it, while others will begrudgingly follow the rule.
And I have a question of my own about the "1 life" rule. Does this mean that we must intentionally kill ourselves twice before we may begin scoring points? Also does that mean we are not allowed to collect 1-up mushrooms? And about the "one playthrough" rule, Does that mean that if we are able to beat the game, we must pause before the game begins again. And we have to submit the score then, and not continue the game that would then play at a higher difficulty?

When it comes to the 1-life rule, you do not intentionally kill yourself to get to your last life.  You play with the first life given to you at the start of the game.  While it's not forbidden to collect 1-up mushrooms, there's really no point in doing it since you're only allowed one life.  And if anyone thinks they are going to collect extra lives and try to cheat the system by playing with more than one life and claiming they only died once, don't even think about.  Anyone doing this will be banned from the contests.  For the one playthrough rule, you must take your picture when you rescue the princess.  You can pause the game on this screen, so it shouldn't be difficult to get a picture.  If you beat the game and let it continue on to the second playthrough, your score will not count.  The reason I'm only allowing one playthrough is so the contest doesn't become a tedious grind.

To answer some more questions:
  • VC versions of the game are okay as long as they are not different from the NES version.  In other words, they should be the exact same game.  SMB on Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES will not be allowed.
  • I'm making a change to the rules so that no turtle or beetle hopping tricks will be allowed.  It's okay to hop on a turtle or beetle and send the shell flying into enemies, but continuously bouncing a shell off a pipe, wall, etc to rack up points will be forbidden.

Okay, well that clears eveything up, but it also means my score is illegitimate. And I wouldn't be surprised if other peoples scores are also illegitimate. Plus, this changes pretty much eveything else. I think that this revision/clarification of the rules should be reiterated on the very first post of this thread, and messages are sent all throughout NA to make sure everyone understands the rules. It may be wise to even go so far as to postpone the cut-off date for SMB submissions. So everything can be straightend-out, and people given enough time to retry at legit high-scores.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:09:56 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
This weekly contest has been a tradition of the forum for many years now, and most of the players that have posted scores so far are accustomed to the way these contests are ruled. The 1-life rule is used frequently, and to be honest, it is the first time someone need explanation about it. No other score posted so far looks illegitimate, so we'll just go on with this contest with the original end time.