Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Muresan selling the famous "Mario" NWC $5k start, auction format

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:09:18 PM
JojoRice (13)
(Joseph ) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
My auction ended tonight on my Demon's Crest cart and the winner just informed me that he can't afford to pay for it and wants to retract his bid! What the piss!!??

Add Ebay user: themaverickone89 to the ebay hall of shame!!

Granted, it didn't sell for 100k but it's still ridiculous.

-------------------------
I'm too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns!

My NES cart collection: http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Latest NES Additions: Talespin

GO DAWGS!!!!!

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:32:21 AM
jpenn (0)

< Cherub >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: JojoRice

My auction ended tonight on my Demon's Crest cart and the winner just informed me that he can't afford to pay for it and wants to retract his bid! What the piss!!??

If you don’t mind, how about a link to the auction so we can gaze and ridicule. I think we would all like to gawk at a troll in action. I too have been burned on an Ebay auction but not to the extent Muresan was and probably not even to the extent you were but it still pisses me off to see this happen.

John

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:41:29 AM
JojoRice (13)
Georgia
Originally posted by: jpenn

If you don’t mind, how about a link to the auction so we can gaze and ridicule. I think we would all like to gawk at a troll in action. I too have been burned on an Ebay auction but not to the extent Muresan was and probably not even to the extent you were but it still pisses me off to see this happen.

John

Sure thing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271381696...

GO DAWGS!!!!!

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:45:23 AM
Revel8 (31)
(Adam ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

Originally posted by: Revel8

Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

Ebay's been around for, what, 15-20 years? You think all of these ideas are new? Nobody is going to sue and win a suit over an obvious shill auction. If they had, people wouldn't still be shill bidding.

Ebay started in late 1995.  I signed up about 2 years later after about a year of browsing.  Back then, Pez Dispensers had their own category on the main page.  And when you signed up, they asked if you believed in UFOs.

No I don't think these ideas are new; I think these ideas need further investigation rather than irrationally, dogmatically dismissed as you seem to prefer they be.  Hence my post.
Legal precedent = irrational and dogmatic reasoning. Got it!

You remind me of the pedant class gunner in law school that raises his hand every 5 seconds to show off his incredible knowledge, and then ends up in the bottom of the class because the reality is the guy is actually just clueless.

Not quite.  It's that the absence of evidence doesn't equate to the evidence of absence.  AKA an appeal to ignorance.

You can believe what you want of me.  Whatever makes you feel best.

A lot of my games + systems for sale here:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:27:20 AM
jpenn (0)

< Cherub >
Pennsylvania
to JojoRice

Thanks JojoRice. I see trolls aren’t relegated to the high priced items. Fortunately my experience was for about the same amount. But this was quite awhile ago.  

I heard about this thread from an electronics forum I am on. after reading this entire thread I felt obligated to join just so I could offer my condolences to Muresan for the shit he had to go through because of an A-hole, (maybe several A-holes). I personally  don’t care if it’s “Too good to be true” When you see numbers like this you can get blinded by the that fact and believe it’s real. This can be a real moral hit to your psyche. As far as the legal points made, I personally think it’s a dead end and not worth pursuing. Although, publicizing the Trolls might not be a bad idea.

Sorry for the rant. I felt obligated to chime in.

John

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:35:49 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

John

Sure thing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271381696...

What a douche. Not really sure how much Demon Crest is worth on the free market, but it's not like anyone shopping on eBay can't afford $90. It may be higher than average for an SNES game, but by no means is it astronomical. And there's only one bid on it. Can't blame that on trolling or media frenzy. Sellers I'm curious, how often does this really happen to you guys on everyday items? BIN, Auction, whatever, video game related or not? I'd say unless a crisis comes up between the time you place a bid and the auction ends, I don't see why a mature, responsible individual wouldn't make good on his promises.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:55:23 AM
JojoRice (13)
Georgia
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

John

Sure thing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271381696787?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:I...

What a douche. Not really sure how much Demon Crest is worth on the free market, but it's not like anyone shopping on eBay can't afford $90. It may be higher than average for an SNES game, but by no means is it astronomical. And there's only one bid on it. Can't blame that on trolling or media frenzy. Sellers I'm curious, how often does this really happen to you guys on everyday items? BIN, Auction, whatever, video game related or not? I'd say unless a crisis comes up between the time you place a bid and the auction ends, I don't see why a mature, responsible individual wouldn't make good on his promises.

I emailed the winner and asked him why he placed a bid even though he couldn't afford to pay for it.  His response was "Because I've got bills to pay".

GO DAWGS!!!!!

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:24:58 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Any word on this auction? Pretty interesting stuff...

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:27:37 AM
jpenn (0)

< Cherub >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Any word on this auction? Pretty interesting stuff...

38 offers.
771 watchers
Most offers declined. 3 still pending.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:32:02 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
sweet, thanks...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Ninte...?

That might help...

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:14:03 AM
rickrollcollector (133)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

John

Sure thing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271381696787?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:I...

Happens a lot..I dont sell in masses but lets say I sold 10-15 items in a week as auction style. About 2-4 will be none paying buyers. I stopped doing auctions becaue of that, now I list everything BIN with an immideate "pay right now" option. Its been a blaze since...

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:24:13 PM
JNovo79 (120)
(Grumpy ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
Those shits still don't always pay. Just had a non-payer on a $800 BIN item who wasn't a 0 feedback type & an asshole send a best offer on a $1300 item which I accepted and then like 10 min later he wanted to cancel it.

hhttp://www.ebay.com/sch/jnovo79/m...; <-- eBay, games & also not-games

Pie > Cake
Unashamed Evil Reseller & Sega Fanboy
@JNovo79 on twitter... mostly me bitching about how being a lawyer is lame

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:10:52 AM
Muresan (12)
(Muresan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Many of the bids are being auto-rejected...AND they are the lowest of lowball offers. $1, $10, $50, $100...I slapped a 5k minimum since that's where my last auction started at. I do like how after three bids, you're done. Had a guy bid $10, then $100, then $20,000 thinking it would auto-reject. It kept the 20k, but he then retracted it. Gotta love that.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:24:10 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: rickrollcollector

Happens a lot..I dont sell in masses but lets say I sold 10-15 items in a week as auction style. About 2-4 will be none paying buyers. I stopped doing auctions becaue of that, now I list everything BIN with an immideate "pay right now" option. Its been a blaze since...
Mann, so this actually happens a lot more than I thought. I knew shills were common on high dollar items, but I didn't know this sh!t happened frequently on everyday stuff. Once or twice in the past I've placed a max bid on an item then decided it wasn't worth it. I bid on a vintage set of 3 Donkey Kong figurines once before I realised one of the figures was missing, aka there was originally four of them. It would have been hard to find the missing fourth figure by itself, so I prayed to the Lord that somebody snipe it for me. A minute left in the auction it and got sniped. I think that was the one time I was ever actually happy I got sniped on something, but as a man of integrity, I had my wallet ready to buy the incomplete set of DK figurines anyway if someone else didn't win it. A lot of lesser people would have simply backed out. I believe it's also a common senario if the winning bidder finds a buy-it-now of the same item for cheaper, they bail out and take the smaller bait. Normally I don't bid on auctions anyway because often when I do I can't sleep at night wondering whether I've won the item or not.

Originally posted by: Muresan

Many of the bids are being auto-rejected...AND they are the lowest of lowball offers. $1, $10, $50, $100...I slapped a 5k minimum since that's where my last auction started at. I do like how after three bids, you're done. Had a guy bid $10, then $100, then $20,000 thinking it would auto-reject. It kept the 20k, but he then retracted it. Gotta love that.

Keep at it Muresan. Somebody will come along with a good offer. $20,000 would be incredicible, just sayin.

Edited: 02/01/2014 at 04:38 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:27:50 AM
Muresan (12)
North Carolina
Keep at it Muresan. Somebody will come along with a good offer. $20,000 would be incredicible, just sayin.

Agreed!

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:57:06 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
I remember once I accidentally set my autosnipe progam at 600 instead of 60

I think I ended up paying 340 for a CIB worth 60...and I followed thru and paid

That wasnt a troll shill that was two people being stupid.

Is there a valid reason for accidental bids? Yes, but I still think EBay should implement a mandatory 10% fee, for any non paying items.

In my case that would have been 30 bucks.

In Muresans case that would have been 10k. The bids were all manual and deliberate, so I think they would have deserved it.

Muresan, maybe gets paid what he could have sold it fore, and keeps the game.

Ebay Ahole learns a powerful lesson...its a win win.

At the very least they should suspend the account indefinitely, so at the very least, they lose all that feedback they have built!!!!

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:06:07 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: JD

Another great reason why you shouldn't use snipe software. I personally don't see the point in sniping. Just put in your max bid and wait. It doesn't matter if it's ten days or ten seconds before the auction close; the highest bid wins.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:15:42 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa

Another great reason why you shouldn't use snipe software. I personally don't see the point in sniping. Just put in your max bid and wait. It doesn't matter if it's ten days or ten seconds before the auction close; the highest bid wins.
I don't know it works for me like 99.99% of the time, and I had that one hiccup (which was my fault).

Sniping software is the best thing since sliced bread, and you are living in the darkages of ebay if you aren't using it.

Hypothetically what if no one would have bid on Muresan's auction, but they put in a snipe. What would have happened? 100k? I think not sir.

What you say is what I do with my sniping program.. I put in my max bid, and then just wait till the end. Usually I don't go back and make any changes, but if I decide not to bid, I can go in and delete.

Think of it like a "blind" ebay bid. to avoid the shillers and the trolls. because, That's what it is.

Edit: And also, if I would have went backed in and checked my bid before the auction, I easily could have changed it.  In the ebay manual entry scenario, I think if you are under 24 hours you are just screwed.

Often times, I bid on I-bidder and seconds later, can adjust the bid, up or down, if I want to tweak it.  Can't do that with Ebay bidding settup

I have not manually bid now for about 3 years, or whenever the Nolans posted the link to MyIbidder

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Edited: 02/01/2014 at 12:21 PM by Elijah

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:36:00 AM
qwertyuiop (2)

< Little Mac >
India
Muresan, you are one awesome fella and it's evident in majority of the post that the community digs you and has your back.

Here is sending some good luck your way and hoping that you successfully execute a trade this time.

(Y)

Edited: 02/02/2014 at 01:36 AM by qwertyuiop

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:45:46 AM
Jig (4)
(Josh ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas

This isn't true. You can typically win an auction for a lower price with a snipe. This is because most people don't do what you've just recommended (entering in their max bid). They wait to be out-bidded first before upping their bid.

Edited: 02/02/2014 at 01:46 AM by Jig

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:55:44 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota

There are zero great reasons why you shouldn't use a sniping program. Plain and simple, If you aren't using one, you are costing yourself money and losing some auctions you should win.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:20:51 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
^^^It still doesn't make a hill of beans difference to the outcome the order in which the bids are placed. If there is a $33 bid, a $60 bid, and a $100 bid, the items sells for $61 bucks to the person who bid $100. If he places his bid in the first ten minutes or the last ten seconds, it won't change the final price.

I'm gonna change the subject:
Is the current owner of the blank gold NWC a known member here? 100k shills strike again...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Ninte...

Edited: 02/02/2014 at 02:25 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:33:10 AM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
^ it makes a HUGE difference because people can keep bidding until they finally out bid you

If your bid is "silent" and with a sniping program they will have no idea and think that they are winning.

Just take a few minutes and think about it logically.

I know the nee jerk reaction is that sniping tools are evil.

But if you think about it, in the long run its better for everyone, because it prevents shills, trolling, and even legitimate bidding wars

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:34:57 AM
jpenn (0)

< Cherub >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Muresan

BEWARE this bidder if he touches your auction...

Muresan: Second Chance Offer to jademonkey2012

JM: "I was really intrested in the game. I had no idea it would go for that much I was about 20 k over what I was willing to pay. If you send me a good offer I will take it thanks Alex"

Muresan: "I mean no offense when I say this but I'm offering it to you at the last offer you put in so the fact that you're already telling me it's more than you were willing to pay leads me to believe if you had been the winning bidder at 60k, you'd be standing me up just as the 99k winning bidder did. That in and of itself doesn't instill confidence in me that you're a serious bidder."

JM: "First off I'm a seller on ebay and always pay all my auctions. ****NOTE THIS SENTENCE****When I said I bid more than I wanted to pay was because in the auction world, If I cant buy it, I'm gonna make the next guy pay. That's how I do it."****NOTE THIS SENTENCE****

Read the last paragraph a quote from JM:
This is why snipping makes sense! I’ve been on ebay for the past 15 years and I learned quickly that people will bid up an item just to piss someone off. There are a lot of immature A**holes out there and they run in age from 15 to 80.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:40:12 AM
Muresan (12)
North Carolina

^^^It still doesn't make a hill of beans difference to the outcome the order in which the bids are placed. If there is a $33 bid, a $60 bid, and a $100 bid, the items sells for $61 bucks to the person who bid $100. If he places his bid in the first ten minutes or the last ten seconds, it won't change the final price.

I'm gonna change the subject:
Is the current owner of the blank gold NWC a known member here? 100k shills strike again...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Ninte...

I don't think so.  He contacted me right after my auction asking if he should list his gold copy. I warned against it but he did anyway.  I've asked him for a list of bidder to compare to those that bid mine up to see if it's the same people.  No word yet.