Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES games made in Mexico Less desired?

May 7, 2012 at 11:29:25 PM
Qamel (14)
(Travis L) < Little Mac >
Virginia
I'm curious as to what most people think about games that were made in Mexico.  Do people typically not care about the difference, or are games that are made in Japan worth more?  At least from my research, it seems that the Mexico versions were lower quality (though not as low as Majesco versions).

Also, was there ever a game that was only made in Mexico, or typically was it made in Mexico and Japan?  It would be great if there was a list out there that detailed all possible games that had a Mexico version.

-------------------------

155 out of 677 NES Licensed CIB games - Always looking to buy minty rare NES CIBs!
Last 5 picked up - Donkey Kong Jr., Ice Climber, TMNT3, Jackie Chan, Snow Brothers

May 7, 2012 at 11:39:38 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
The made in Mexico games seem to be less common. I just went through my 36 SNES games and only 4 (Dracula X, Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run, Mega Man 7 and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy) have the "Made in Mexico" label. I didn't really notice any difference in quality, but maybe there's someone on here that's done some research into this that can shed a little more light on the subject.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

May 7, 2012 at 11:46:06 PM
Chrono (23)
(Glamour Vintage) < Meka Chicken >
Korea, Republic of
I also have a question. I know the B&W manuals are from Majesco releases of games, but did other games that say "Made In Mexico" have color manuals or did all the games out of Mexico have B&W manuals?

I am searching for the following SNES manuals:
- Sunset Riders    - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time      - Total Carnage
- Utopia                 - Final Fantasy II
Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

May 7, 2012 at 11:48:18 PM
SNESfinder- (87)
(Stelio Kontos) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
if there was a list out there i would be interested in seeing it, but im not sure how many games were re-released from mexico, i know lufia 2 is one of them i can think of that has both versions, I feel like only more veteran collectors would care/know which one they want. the only diffrence is the "made in XXX" on the back of the cart and box, so long as its monty, most people dont care 

BUYING/TRADING for mint snes boxes, CIB, and sealed, commons to rares and everything inbetween. will pay retail for items I need. ebay- http://www.ebay.com/sch/are-es-t/m.html?item=120930427271&pt...

Edited: 05/07/2012 at 11:49 PM by SNESfinder-

May 7, 2012 at 11:53:17 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are both Made in Mexico only.

This is a good thread on the subject:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 05/07/2012 at 11:53 PM by MoeDown

May 8, 2012 at 12:17:15 AM
Chrono (23)
(Glamour Vintage) < Meka Chicken >
Korea, Republic of
^ Thanks for that link. That was a very good read. Very interesting.

I am searching for the following SNES manuals:
- Sunset Riders    - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time      - Total Carnage
- Utopia                 - Final Fantasy II
Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

May 8, 2012 at 12:48:50 AM
Qamel (14)
(Travis L) < Little Mac >
Virginia
Agreed, thanks for the link. That pretty much provided what I want to know.

155 out of 677 NES Licensed CIB games - Always looking to buy minty rare NES CIBs!
Last 5 picked up - Donkey Kong Jr., Ice Climber, TMNT3, Jackie Chan, Snow Brothers

May 8, 2012 at 1:11:37 PM
lojack44 (99)
(Logan M) < Kraid Killer >
California
Some of the later SNES carts were made in Mexico only, and they had inferior quality labels that the label glue came off regularly or the labels wore/ tore very easily. That's why a lot of the rarer titles (Mega Man X3, Wild Guns, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, etc) most you see listed for sale have worn/torn labels. It's just sad really...

May 8, 2012 at 2:04:10 PM
War Pig (185)
(Hellooooooooooooooo Midwest. Oh how I've missed u) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
The Zombies Ate My Neighbors box variant for the SNES is made in Mexico. The rest of the components are just like those found in the regular release. The box itself is much flimsier and of lesser quality then it's non-Mexican counterpart. But damn does it have kickass box art!

-Eric

May 8, 2012 at 2:31:31 PM
ankermane (49)
(Erik ) < Kraid Killer >
California
Wow, that is kick ass box art! Makes me want to buy it right now! I bet the game would have sold a lot better in the states with that cover.

May 8, 2012 at 2:41:06 PM
War Pig (185)
(Hellooooooooooooooo Midwest. Oh how I've missed u) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Originally posted by: ankermane

Wow, that is kick ass box art! Makes me want to buy it right now! I bet the game would have sold a lot better in the states with that cover.

As far as I know, this box variation was available in the U.S.  Now why it's so rare, I don't know, but......

-Eric

May 8, 2012 at 5:08:01 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
I prefer Made In Japan games if possible, but that's mostly because Mexican labels are usually worn and more susceptible to damage. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I might not want to collect something out of Mexico.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

May 29, 2012 at 7:30:59 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Is it possible for the front and back labels on the carts to be different? When I was checking my carts to see which "Made in Mexico" ones I have, I noticed my copy of Dracula X says "Made in Mexico" on the front label, but the back label says "Made in Japan". All of the other "Made in Mexico" games I have say the same on the back label too.

May 29, 2012 at 7:46:33 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Is it possible for the front and back labels on the carts to be different? When I was checking my carts to see which "Made in Mexico" ones I have, I noticed my copy of Dracula X says "Made in Mexico" on the front label, but the back label says "Made in Japan". All of the other "Made in Mexico" games I have say the same on the back label too.

I'll check my Dracula X when I get home but I guess somebody at some point switched the back of your cart.

May 29, 2012 at 7:57:07 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Dracula X I bought the day it came out and it's Made in Mexico on the front and back, it's a swap out for him.

May 29, 2012 at 7:58:15 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Abelardo

I'll check my Dracula X when I get home but I guess somebody at some point switched the back of your cart.

That looks to be what happened because when I checked my cart just now, the back half is slightly darker than the front half which doesn't seem right either. My "Made in Mexico" copy of Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run has the back that my Dracula X should have so I just took the back from it so now it has the correct one.

Edited: 05/29/2012 at 08:00 PM by bearcat-doug

May 29, 2012 at 7:58:23 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Chrono Trigger does have a "Made in Japan" release.

May 29, 2012 at 8:04:08 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Ehh swaps happen, my Wild Guns and Lufia 2 don't have mexican backs. I'd swap them if I cared more, and if I had them but it's not like it makes the game any less good.

May 29, 2012 at 8:07:09 PM
Max Velocity (38)
< Kraid Killer >
Nova Scotia
Seems like the MIM versions don't have that glossy protective layer on the labels and they seem to wear easier. Anyone else notice this?

SNES - 660

May 29, 2012 at 8:17:39 PM
RESET2019 (35)

(Jered McFerron) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Thanks for saying that. I'm virtually positive both my Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are made in Japan, but I'll be double checking when I get home. Maybe I have an incredibly rare variant :-D

May 29, 2012 at 8:18:48 PM
RESET2019 (35)

(Jered McFerron) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: duncan

Seems like the MIM versions don't have that glossy protective layer on the labels and they seem to wear easier. Anyone else notice this?
Yup. I have a Battletoads / Double Dragon cart and until I started reading about Made in Mexico vs Made in Japan here on NA, I thought I might have a pirate copy. (In addition to missing the protective laminent, the printing on the label is of a cheaper quality)

I double checked after reading about them here on NA, and sure enough, it's Made in Mexico.

May 29, 2012 at 8:25:57 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Tanooki

Ehh swaps happen, my Wild Guns and Lufia 2 don't have mexican backs. I'd swap them if I cared more, and if I had them but it's not like it makes the game any less good.

Whenever I get a game that has a back with a torn/incorrect label I'll just try to find a 99 cent sports game that has the right one whenever I go to the local game shop and swap them out.

May 29, 2012 at 8:46:17 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
I probably did the same here at least with Lufia 2 as it was rough when I got it as the front label had a snag in it and the manual and map is really rough, but when you can get it at $25 shipped you just hit the button, not whine about the little things. The other I got on here and I'm sure that's how that one came and it's no big deal as you said people swap when stuff is hosed up. I've done the same, and when I can't and the label is super shot I've just removed it on the back until I can get a replacement.

May 29, 2012 at 8:47:25 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Eh? Prove it, see....

May 30, 2012 at 7:47:56 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I saw a Madden '97 at the local game store today with a "Made in Puerto Rico" label. How uncommon are those? That's the first Puerto Rico game I've seen. I also saw a Super Off Road: The Baja that instead of a back label, actually had the text stamped onto the back of the cart itself. I don't own that game so maybe they all have stamped backs, but I've never seen one of those before either.