Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A way to tell who we've had transactions with, and who we haven't Just an easier method of knowing

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:26:50 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
So just recently, I was in a transaction with someone, and asked him "i'm not too sure if we've ever done a transaction with eachother or not, I know we've talked about making a deal, but unsure if we've done so or not", and which he couldn't recall if we did either.

I was wondering if it would be simple to implement a certain way to tell if you've done a transaction with somebody or not, maybe by putting some sort of icon next to their name when you go onto their profile page?

I could also just be a dummy too, and it could be simple for me to tell, rather than going through all my transactions to see it or not.

-------------------------
Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:29:48 PM
Mr.Nintendo (383)
(el- rocko) < King Solomon >
Alaska
maybe we use the red dot next to your name edd. LOL

you know if the person's name had a red dot next to their name in your inbox, you'd be able to find the guy you were making a transaction with, once it's made he'd get a dot.

Gameboy Pirates "IS" My Thing

DONATE ALL SMB/DH CARTS TO PMA

DONATE ALL JURASSIC PARK CARTS TO KEVBOT  NOW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:08:39 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Why does it matter? I know your count only goes up with new "traders" but shouldn't you always set up a request...just in case something goes downhill you can still leave the appropriate feedback. I have traded with my best of friends multiple times and always set up a trans request...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:58:18 AM
Enslaved (106)
Florida
Originally posted by: Benihana

Why does it matter? I know your count only goes up with new "traders" but shouldn't you always set up a request...just in case something goes downhill you can still leave the appropriate feedback. I have traded with my best of friends multiple times and always set up a trans request...

I always do Beni, it would just be nice to know, that's all.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

Edited: 09/12/2011 at 02:58 AM by Enslaved

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:04:38 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

Eh, not everyone is OCD.  I've done at least 20-30 transactions and haven't bothered to make feedback for them.  If the buyer has bought from me several times before and doesn't ask, I won't set it up.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:47:24 AM
Benihana (154)
Washington
Originally posted by: Enslaved

I always do Beni, it would just be nice to know, that's all.

Ah, for informational purposes only...I can see that...especially when you hare in the triple digits.
I forget who I have done transactions with and I am barely at 40...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:51:50 AM
Benihana (154)
Washington
Originally posted by: jonebone

Eh, not everyone is OCD.  I've done at least 20-30 transactions and haven't bothered to make feedback for them.  If the buyer has bought from me several times before and doesn't ask, I won't set it up.

But then you are not letting other users and importantly new users know that you and your friends are 100% consistent in their transactions...I would feel a lot better buying from user that has traded 100 times with no problems (even from the same people) than a user traded 1 time with no problems...
But then again, there is always a risk.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:01:07 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

But then you are not letting other users and importantly new users know that you and your friends are 100% consistent in their transactions...I would feel a lot better buying from user that has traded 100 times with no problems (even from the same people) than a user traded 1 time with no problems...

Yeah, I suppose so, but at some point it doesn't really matter.  Like I'm at 189 unique and 271 total now.  Would someone feel any different about me if I was at 189 unique and 300 total?  I would hope not.

Sometimes you honestly just forget, especially if you have a large FS thread and dozens and dozens of PMs.  I will always 100% honor a buyer's request for a transaction.  But if the buyer doesn't ask, and he's bought from me 4 or 5 separate times already... yeah no big deal.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:09:23 AM
Enslaved (106)
Florida
All in all, it was just a thought. It was discussed a few times with myself and a couple other members throughout the year i've been here, and just thought I would throw the idea around.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:53:00 AM
Little Nemo (107)
(Mark D) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
I really don't think this is too bad of an idea. I'm a member over at GameTZ, and when you do a transaction with someone, a little handshake icon pops up next to their name if you've done a transaction with them. For the folks you do multiple transactions with, a number shows up inside the handshake to indicate how many.

I agree that it's not really a necessary addition, but it could be a real quick way to see how many times you've done a transaction with someone.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:54:47 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Well I have 749 total and 400 unique and I would say there is probably 150 transactions I did not record with people I have bought from multiple times.

on the op I just keep all the pms saved forever so I can just scroll down and see if we have done one before

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:38:21 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
is there an easy option to saving them forever or do I just need to make a folder to move them to ?

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:42:42 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I like this idea and have slated it for inclusion in the next update.

BTW, saving PM's forever may eventually be a thing of the past. We have a few million PMs and there's a very good chance we'll be creating export files of older messages to free up the database.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:27:52 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Dain

BTW, saving PM's forever may eventually be a thing of the past. We have a few million PMs and there's a very good chance we'll be creating export files of older messages to free up the database.

Yeah, I figured it was only a matter of time.  No other site does this and PMs grow exponentially as the user base increases.

As a workaround, maybe you could only save sent messages or only save received messages to save 50% of the file size.  Every message has a sender and recipient, so saving every message for every user is redundant.  That saves exactly two copies of every message...

Just an optimization idea, but I do agree that saving messages forever is probably not a good long term solution.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:58:23 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
I just realized I have 2,609 PM messages saved up. Damn, I talk alot.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:04:00 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: SamSpade

I just realized I have 2,609 PM messages saved up. Damn, I talk alot.

Oddly enough, I have 6,433 received and 5,751 sent.  Yeah, I'd say saving all of the PMs is definitely a huge space issue.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:35:33 AM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Me n Matt (Xtremegamer) mail each other stuff like 2 old hens knitting quilts for each other. No transactions needed.

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:29:54 PM
Enslaved (106)
Florida
Originally posted by: Dain

I like this idea and have slated it for inclusion in the next update.

w00t!  Thanks Dain!