NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PowerPak help wanted CF card busy or wrong format

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:40:56 AM
helios (9)
(Göran Pettersson) < Crack Trooper >
Sweden
Hi!

I recently bought a PowerPak with a 128MB CF card. I'm using a Pal nes with the region free mod.

The card worked fine except alot of graphical glitches while playing some games, this is because of it being the first revision and I'm waiting for bunnyboy to send me the necessary resistors so that I can fix it. But 128MB ain't enough so I formatted my 1GB TwinMos X140 card with Fat16. I get these errors "Busy" and "Wrong format use Fat16/Fat32".

Well I have tried to erase the partition with different kinds of utilities using Hirens bootcd and formated it with fat16 and fat32 in windows xp without success. The same errors come up. The card works fine in Mac OS X and Windows XP.

Please help me!

-------------------------
Proud member of the signature group "Dare to mix regions"

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:45:10 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
The card may simply not fully support the access mode that the PowerPak uses. I have seen it before in cheap or knock off brands, no idea how big TwinMos is. If you are getting the busy message on boot then you can try holding down either the A or B button when you hit power (I forget which one). That will reset the card in a different way and hopefully make it not busy.

If you are just erasing the partition instead of wiping the whole disk then there may be some left over formatting stuff. For 1 GB disk you will definitely want fat32, that is the edge of what fat16 can do.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:36:28 PM
helios (9)
Sweden
Thanks for the reply. I think TwinMos is pretty big in the memory business. Tried with the button but it didn't do anything (well it didn't show anything on the screen until i unpressed the button). Going to try a low level format. And yes I'm only going to try it using fat 32.

After erasing the partition and low-level formatting it and formatting it with fat 32 still no success. Well I got the powerpak screen to say "Card B" instead of "Powerpak"..

I guess I just have to save up some money and take my chances on another card.

Edited: 01/16/2008 at 05:44 AM by helios

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:45:47 AM
helios (9)
Sweden
Just bought a new 1GB CF card SanDisk Ultra 2 and well it worked nicely. So now I'm still waiting on the resistor fix to arrive from you bunnyboy but I guess you have missed shipping it to me as over a month have passed since I mailed you about it. Hope to see it soon!

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:36:31 PM
helios (9)
Sweden
Well I took it up to myself to go and buy the resistors needed. And after an hour I was finished. I'm not great at soldering but hey it worked Now the graphical glitches are gone, only SMB3 shows signs of some weird behavior.

http://pici.se/pictures/lvjBFHumx...

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:22:31 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
ugly but effective
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread